Are any Laserdisc fans still here?

Anthony Cuozzo

Jan 10, 2024, 11:19:57 PMJan 10
Is this newsgroup dead or just nearly dead?

Dave Garrett

Jan 13, 2024, 10:13:09 PMJan 13
In article <L%JnN.184012$xHn7....@fx14.iad>, ant...@cuozzo.us says...

> Is this newsgroup dead or just nearly dead?

Not going to call it completely dead, but I think there have only been a
couple of actual on-topic posts here in the past couple of years. Like
many other newsgroups, I check it for activity more from force of habit
than any realistic expectation of new posts.

As is the case with many other newsgroups, much of the traffic that once
would have been here has migrated to web-based fora (primarily the LDDB
forums, but there's also a semi-active laserdisc subreddit).

--
Dave

Ant

Jan 15, 2024, 2:58:31 PMJan 15
https://www.reddit.com/r/LaserDisc/ is pretty active.
--
"To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted." --Titus 1:15. We're all corrupted! :(
| |o o| |

Dave Garrett

Jan 20, 2024, 9:06:39 PMJan 20
In article <VYudnZX0mrvAEzj4...@earthlink.com>,
a...@zimage.comANT says...

> Dave Garrett <da...@compassnet.com> wrote:
> > In article <L%JnN.184012$xHn7....@fx14.iad>, ant...@cuozzo.us says...
> > >
> > > Is this newsgroup dead or just nearly dead?
>
> > Not going to call it completely dead, but I think there have only been a
> > couple of actual on-topic posts here in the past couple of years. Like
> > many other newsgroups, I check it for activity more from force of habit
> > than any realistic expectation of new posts.
>
> > As is the case with many other newsgroups, much of the traffic that once
> > would have been here has migrated to web-based fora (primarily the LDDB
> > forums, but there's also a semi-active laserdisc subreddit).
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/LaserDisc/ is pretty active.

Yes, that's the subreddit I was referring to. I guess "semi-active" is
subjective, as there are usually several posts a day there, but in my
mind that's pretty sleepy compared to some of the larger subreddits with
many thousands of regular participants.

Then again, laserdisc was a niche format at its peak. Several decades
later, it's REALLY a niche format.

--
Dave

Oregonian Haruspex

Feb 10, 2024, 4:07:17 PMFeb 10
Anthony Cuozzo <ant...@cuozzo.us> wrote:
> Is this newsgroup dead or just nearly dead?

I’m here, I still think LD is the best. Too many movies have been screwed
with one way or the other and if you can do math you realize extra
resolution is essentially wasted unless you sit with your nose pressed to
the screen. They’re dirt cheap and store real easy too for browsing.

Pioneer LD decks with Legato Link Conversion are still probably the best
sounding CD players too, that technology was never put into other DACs
except some Pioneer CD players.

Dave Garrett

Feb 11, 2024, 12:41:44 AMFeb 11
In article <uq8oi2$1q7q$1...@dont-email.me>, no_e...@invalid.invalid
says...

> Pioneer LD decks with Legato Link Conversion are still probably the best
> sounding CD players too, that technology was never put into other DACs
> except some Pioneer CD players.

Almost 25 years ago, I bought my CLD-97 from a high-end audio shop. The
guy I dealt with there told me that it had rarely been used to play LDs,
as its primary function while they had it was as a CD transport.

--
Dave

Oregonian Haruspex

Feb 17, 2024, 4:24:53 PMFeb 17
There is an exposition on how it works, but very little else is known. No
real data sheet either.

LD players make great transports just because of the mechanism’s mass. They
are still used by some audiophiles today for that reason.