HLD-X9 and Lexicon LDD-1

Julien Wilk (LDDb.com)

Aug 18, 2009, 2:14:37 PM8/18/09
Hello!

I just offered myself a LDD-1 from eBay and received it this morning.

I plugged the AC3RF OUT of the X9 on the AC3RF IN or the demodulator,
but in neither of the 3 positions (HIGH, LOW, NORMAL) I cannot get the
LDD-1 to "lock" on an AC3RF signal.

Is it a faulty unit or is the X9 not compatible with the lexicon ???

Rgds,
Julien

gumbyandpals

Aug 18, 2009, 6:02:59 PM8/18/09
I use a different RF demodulator so I'm not familiar with the Lexicon.
The only thing that comes to mind is to make sure you're using a video
cable for the RF signal. Is this the only RF demodulator you have
tried your player with?

publius

Aug 18, 2009, 7:31:22 PM8/18/09
On Aug 18, 1:14 pm, "Julien Wilk (LDDb.com)" <gener...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I plugged the AC3RF OUT of the X9 on the AC3RF IN or the demodulator,
> but in neither of the 3 positions (HIGH, LOW, NORMAL) I cannot get the
> LDD-1 to "lock" on an AC3RF signal.
>
> Is it a faulty unit or is the X9 not compatible with the lexicon ???

What discs have you used to provide the signal? There should be no
compatibility issues. Try the demod with another player -- it could
be faulty.

--publius--

Thad Floryan

Aug 18, 2009, 7:55:03 PM8/18/09
On 8/18/2009 11:14 AM, Julien Wilk (LDDb.com) wrote:
> [...]

Never heard of the Lexicon LDD-1 before, so Google to the rescue.

In case you didn't get one with the unit, here's its User Guide:

<http://www.lexicon.com/downloads/ldd1/LDD-1_User_Guide_Rev1.pdf>

Cable connection seems straightforward, so assuming your cable is OK
that leaves the LDD-1 or your LD player as possible culprits assuming
you are, in fact, playing an AC3 Dolby Digital LD. :-)

I know for a fact the AC3 output of an HLD-X9 works fine with a Pioneer
RFD-1 and also with the AC3-IN of my Denon AVR-5600 and also with the
AC3 input of an Onkyo ED-901.

The only other demodulators of which I was aware before your post
are the Yamaha APD-1, Kenwood DEM-999D, Kenwood DEM-9991D, and the
(dreaded) SONY MOD-RF1.

Julien

Aug 18, 2009, 11:48:27 PM8/18/09

Have used this player with Pioneer (RFD-1), Yamaha (APD-1 and APD-2)
and Kenwood (DEM-999D) demodulators before without any problem. Same
A/V amp, same cables. Also works with a straight connexion to my A/V
amp with AC3RF demodulator built-in.

I'm just worried that the combination of X9 and LDD-1 might now
work... for some reason, and to have enough evidence to back up a
claim to the seller to get a refund.

Rgds,
Julien

Kev Haw

Aug 22, 2009, 9:33:42 PM8/22/09
I have the Sony Mod-RF1. Why is it dreaded? I haven't noticed any issues
with it.
But then again, I'm no audiophile...
Kevin

Thad Floryan

Aug 22, 2009, 11:13:16 PM8/22/09

It's made by SONY.

mscott

Aug 23, 2009, 4:59:33 AM8/23/09

I don't know of any audible issues. All the demodulators that I have
sound the same to me: Pretty darned good. I own a bunch of them, and
every one that I ever opened up uses a Pioneer IC. The fancier
(newer?) demodulators use the PM4007A (Pioneer RFD-1, Sony SDP-E800,
Sony EP9ES, and Denon AVD-2000,) while the basic demodulators use the
Pioneer PD4606A (Kenwood DEM-999D, Sony MOD-RF1, and Yamaha APD-1).
The B&K DT-1 has the more desireable automatic switching like the
Pioneer RFD-1, but the B&K uses the PD4606A. Both IC's are 100 pin
QFP.

Maybe Julien can let us know what IC is inside the Lexicon.

Mike in Sacramento

Julien

Aug 28, 2009, 7:34:59 PM8/28/09
Finally the Seller agreed to let me ship the Lexicon back for a refund
(but I end up paying for shipping both ways).

A very fine seller, alternatively telling me I'm a liar, a dishonest
person, that I will send back a different unit, that I probably
removed parts inside before sending it back, that he had it tested in
a shop for $20 (but he has no idea what AC3RF is) and it was told to
be fine, etc.

So I starter an eBay/Paypal claim and he went on 100% paranoid mode.
Am I the only one finding sellers with mental issues?

No more eBay for me, that was the last time.

Julien

Thad Floryan

Aug 28, 2009, 8:36:59 PM8/28/09
On 8/28/2009 4:34 PM, Julien wrote:
> Finally the Seller agreed to let me ship the Lexicon back for a refund
> (but I end up paying for shipping both ways).
>
> A very fine seller, alternatively telling me I'm a liar, a dishonest
> person, that I will send back a different unit, that I probably
> removed parts inside before sending it back, that he had it tested in
> a shop for $20 (but he has no idea what AC3RF is) and it was told to
> be fine, etc.
>
> So I starter an eBay/Paypal claim and he went on 100% paranoid mode.
> Am I the only one finding sellers with mental issues?
>
> No more eBay for me, that was the last time.

At least you're only "out" the shipping costs; you are lucky.

People in another one of my hobby interests, amateur astronomy, have made
the same observations about eBay, and will only buy/sell/trade using a
reputable service, Astromart (<http://www.astromart.com/>) which is run
like a military operation: no pseudonyms, everyone's verified, and don't
even think of using Yahoo, Gmail, Live/Hotmail or any other throw-away
account as an email address. Any everyone uses it simply because there is
no fear of a scam.

I can proudly say I've never used eBay or PayPal for anything. :-)

Kev Haw

Aug 29, 2009, 4:10:25 AM8/29/09
Julien wrote: "A very fine seller, alternatively telling me I'm a liar,

a dishonest person, that I will send back a different unit, that I
probably removed parts inside before sending it back, that he had it
tested in a shop for $20 (but he has no idea what AC3RF is) and it was
told to be fine, etc."
____________________________________
I've found that when an ebay seller assumes such terrible things about
someone else, it's because the seller himself would do such things!
I still believe the vast majority of ebay sellers are honest. It's the
minority that give ebay a bad name.
I came across dishonest sellers too back in the day but also many
honest ones that stood by what they sold.
With today's ebay, everything is slanted towards the buyer's side.
Sellers can no longer leave neutral or negative feedback.
Several months ago I bought a used 400 disc dvd jukebox from ebay. The
seller lied about the unit. I complained via paypal and won the case and
got a refund. Of course I had to pay the return shipping, but I was
refunded my original shipping, as I received a full refund after I
returned the item.
Dealing with a bad seller can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but I'm
sure you'll come across an honest seller that will restore your faith in
ebay.
Kevin

c4urs...@spam_yahoo.com

Aug 29, 2009, 1:18:57 PM8/29/09

I second Kevin's opinion. After all eBay is only an infrastructure
connecting sellers and buyers.
Of course I've had my part of buyer's horror stories, but I know several
eBay sellers that stopped selling thru eBay for the same reasons.
If you're afer something of value, it pays back to peruse all possible
feedback, including googling for the seller's name. The cache of google
may get information that is no longer visible on eBay.
I've also learned it is often not productive to immediately pull out the
big gun. It may take quite some patience discussing forth and back, but
has solved me problems I expected hopeless.
Herman