Pioneer CLD-D604 and the infamous "E3" error

Joseph Preza

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a Pioneer 604 that just stopped
working. This is what happened:

Turn power on
Selected the LD button to open (this unit also has a smaller tray for CD)

At this point, the LD button kept flashing and on the display screen I saw
the famous "E3" error. The CD tray did open once but never closed after
that. About the only other thing I noticed is that every time you turn it
on, I heard a very quite humming noise that went on for about 15 seconds and
then stopped. The noise was barely noticeable.

I also removed the cover to try to inspect it, but I didn't see anything
jammed that would stop the tray from opening.

Any help will be appreciated......Joe

Kurtis Bahr

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
to Joseph Preza
When you took the top off could you see the laser pickup move when powered on or
when you press eject? If the pickup moves then look at the belt on the motor
toward the front, maybe it can off so it cannot open or close the player. Could
also be something that jammed.

Kurtis

CharlesMcBarron

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
The only trouble I've had with my 604(5 years) was a recent power surge that
caused the machine to stop working. The 604 has a mechanism for preventing
serious damage, but it is not re-setable and the repair cost me $120.

Kurtis Bahr

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
to CharlesMcBarron
Next time ask questions on this group. There is a $5.00 arc suppression device
that fails on these that you replace to get them working after the surge.

Kurtis

CharlesMcBarron

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
In a message dated 3/18/00 10:01:07 AM Central Standard Time, kb...@erols.com
writes:

<< Next time ask questions on this group >>

I did, but no one said anything about a $5 repair. The cost quoted to me was
comparable to what I paid.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll remember it.

lglen...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2019, 12:50:51 AM1/17/19
I know this is a very old thread, but this is what I found after looking for E3 when I got a CLD_D504 and got this error code "E3":

Slider error / Standby
E = Slider

* = 1: Play, 2: Open, 3: Standby, 4: Clamp, 5: Setup (rotation start), 6: TOC read, 7: Play

8: Search, 9: Side A > B, A: Side B > A

http://web.archive.org/web/20040902164752fw_/http://www.igelect.co.uk:80/perrcds.html