Best popcorn?

m.

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Hello again :-)

Over the last year I've taken advice from everything between which
television I should buy, to which movies have the best commentaries, etc,
etc.

Off the top of my head, I don't believe I've been disappointed yet, so I
figured I'd start the year off with a simple one.

In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?

I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of popcorn, because it would be
easy to go into other things to stuff our faces while we watch our favorite
film. (Don't go there, lol. ;-)

Looking forward to your responses.

I guess I should be fair by starting off. Here's the reason why I am
beginning this thread.

Stay away from Pop Secret Premium Microwave Popcorn Big Popping Bag (3.5
oz.) Just disgusting. Pops nearly all the kernals, it just tastes like crap.
I'm looking for more of a movie theater texture/taste.

thanks in advance :-)
m.

Dick T

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
My wife and I have tried many brands and will now only eat either
Blockbuster ($2.37 for 3-pack) or Paul Newman ($2.00 for 3 pack).
Dick T
<erp...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

Joe Anstett

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Paul Newman, no doubt.

Not too salty, but tastes great IMHO.

Joe

Bruce Tomlin

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

Well, if we're doing popcorn reviews, I can relate my experiences with the
Extreme Butter 2000 popcorn from Act II (?). I got a six-pack of it just
because it was such a silly idea to name it "2000". Anyhow, it was like
someone exploded a butter bomb in the bag. In fact, it tasted almost, but
not quite, like cheese popcorn. Not too bad, but I don't think I need the
extra fat.

Brian Rodia

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
I don't eat microwave popcorn, but I'm going to add my $.02 anyway. The
BEST way to prepare popcorn is to get a bag of Orville from the store and
pop it yourself in a large pot. It's not as convenient, but tastes MUCH
better than any microwave popcorn could. When it's all popped, pour it into
a large brown grocery sack. season it with salt, melted (real) butter and
grated parmesan cheese (Yea, you heard me right). Shake the bag well as you
go and pour into a large bowl. It's simply AWESOME. Don't knock it till you
have tried it, the more cheese the better :-)

Try this once and you will never eat microwave popcorn again

Peace

- Brian

m. <erp...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

JKiser214

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
I have to agree with the stove top popping corn. Pick a brand, Orville's is
abundent around here, (small containers, as shelf life is limited due to
moisture content, etc), Put on stove in large pot, heat on high, stir as it's
heating up - to have the corn heat evenly, at first pop close it up, pop, pour
in large bowl, add salt & my particular favorite Krazy Jane's Mixed Up Salt,
enjoy.

JK

Spike Forehand

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

I'll second what Brian said - Orville Redenbacher in the jar is my favorite.
Here's how I do it:

Put 4 tsp vegetable oil into a medium size pot. Place 2 kernels in the pot
and place on high heat. When kernels pop, add 1/3 cup kernels. Reduce heat
to medium and shake the pot as kernels pop. Keep shaking until popping
stops.

I season with fine-grain popcorn salt.

This type of popcorn is much less expensive (approx. $2 for probably 25
batches), can be cooked just as quickly, and tastes infinitely better than
any microwave or hot-air popcorn that I have ever tasted.

As a follow-up question, I'd love to know if anyone knows what type of oil
they were using in the movie theaters before the big fat/cholesterol
hysteria hit. It's some type of oil that has the "bad" cholesterol in it.
I'd like to get some and try it at home. Can anyone remember? I wanna say
coconut oil, but I know that's not it.

Thanks-

Spike Forehand

Thad Floryan

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
"m." <erp...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
| Hello again :-)
|
| Over the last year I've taken advice from everything between which
| television I should buy, to which movies have the best commentaries, etc,
| etc.
|
| Off the top of my head, I don't believe I've been disappointed yet, so I
| figured I'd start the year off with a simple one.
|
| In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
| which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
| If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?
|
| I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of popcorn, because it would be
| easy to go into other things to stuff our faces while we watch our favorite
| film. (Don't go there, lol. ;-)
|
| Looking forward to your responses.
|
| I guess I should be fair by starting off. Here's the reason why I am
| beginning this thread.
|
| Stay away from Pop Secret Premium Microwave Popcorn Big Popping Bag (3.5
| oz.) Just disgusting. Pops nearly all the kernals, it just tastes like crap.
| I'm looking for more of a movie theater texture/taste.
|
| thanks in advance :-)
| m.

I provide three types of popcorn in my theaters for guests in this order of
preference:

1. oil-popped. Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn White. UPC 0 27000 48828

2. hot-air. Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Hot Air. UPC 0 27000 48890

3. 硬ave. Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Microwave, Butter. UPC 0 27000 48767

Kids are happy with the microwave stuff, but the best is oil-popped topped
with real butter and sea salt, specifically:

Sea Salt
Sel Fin (Fine Crystals)
salt (NaCl), magnesium carbonate, sodium iodide

from: Compagnie des Salins du Midi
"EMB 54549"
Varangeville, France

UPC 0 79462 00263

In case you're not aware, "UPC" is "Universal Product Code".

Here's a tip for better microwave popping: knead the package in your hands
before placing it in the microwave oven. Kneading helps spread-out the
insides and almost guarantees 100% of the kernels will pop (so you don't
break a tooth biting down on a kernel).

One tip for better butter/salt application: place the popped kernels in a
huge bowl (I use a "Just Bowls" 9 qt (11-1/2" diameter and 6" high) ceramic
popcorn bowl from Portugal, UPC 0 13302 08119), pour about 4 tbsp pre-melted
butter and salt atop it, cover and seal the bowl with clear wrap (e.g. Saran
or Glad), then shake/rotate/invert the bowl for about 30 seconds, and remove
the clear wrap; all the butter and salt will be evenly distributed.

Here's another tip: let the popcorn cool a bit before eating, especially if
you're drinking ~c~o~l~d~ beverages with it; one time I didn't and the thermal
shock (hot popcorn, cold Coke) cracked a tooth. Ouch.

Thad

urthling

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
The best I've tried is BK Heurmann's. It comes in huge 3.5oz
bags and almost every kernel pops into huge popcorn. The cool thing
is that the popcorn is made from a strain of corn that is virtually
hull free, so there's less sticking of the kernels to those rear
molars.

Unfortunately, it's not available in stores, only through
mail-order for ~$30 for a case of 48. But that's still cheaper than
the supermarket (<$1 a bag), bigger than most bags in the supermarket
varieties and tastes -much- better also. You can find more info at
http://www.4w.com/bkhpopcorn/. They don't say so on the order page,
but you can mix-and-match the three varieties if you want and if you
don't like the popcorn, supposedly, there's a guarantee.

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 03:22:07 -0800, "m." <erp...@my-dejanews.com>

Thad Floryan

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

Frankly, I don't understand all the fuss about [external] cholesterol; it's
NOT what you ingest but what your own body manufactures that should be of
concern. Study the human alimentary canal (and digestive system) from mouth
to exit point and tell me _where_ external cholesterol gets inside the body;
it doesn't. [Look up "alimentary canal" in, at least, a dictionary if you
don't understand my point.]

In any event --

I don't know what kind of oil theaters used to use; nowadays it seems they
use hot-air techniques.

Cooking oils I've used successfully in order of preference include olive oil
(Bertolli (from Italy) and also Wesson), soybean oil, safflower oil, and, in
a pinch, Crisco vegetable oil.

Thad

Brent Wilkins

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
wrote:

>Hello again :-)
>
>Over the last year I've taken advice from everything between which
>television I should buy, to which movies have the best commentaries, etc,
>etc.
>
>Off the top of my head, I don't believe I've been disappointed yet, so I
>figured I'd start the year off with a simple one.
>
>In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
>which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
>If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?
>
>I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of popcorn, because it would be
>easy to go into other things to stuff our faces while we watch our favorite
>film. (Don't go there, lol. ;-)
>
>Looking forward to your responses.
>
>I guess I should be fair by starting off. Here's the reason why I am
>beginning this thread.
>
>Stay away from Pop Secret Premium Microwave Popcorn Big Popping Bag (3.5
>oz.) Just disgusting. Pops nearly all the kernals, it just tastes like crap.
>I'm looking for more of a movie theater texture/taste.
>
>thanks in advance :-)
>m.

If you have a CRACKER BARREL near you, they have popcorn that is an
ear that goes into a bag that you microwave. No additives and it pops
every kernel. It comes in at a decent price and tastes wonderful.
Melts in your mouth

Brent

Erik A. Cox

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Orville's Double Feature. After you pop it, you use the bag as a bowl
and pour on some "butter" that comes with it. Tastes just like the
stuff you get at the theater, but it's fresh and hot. Only two per box,
and it's got lots of fat, but hey, enjoy it while I'm 23 with
cholesterol of 135, right?
-Erik

--
-Erik
ec...@gwu.edu

Frank

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to m.
PopSecret Homestyle is tops in my family!

Typhoon

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
"Spike Forehand" <spike...@concentric.net> wrote:

>As a follow-up question, I'd love to know if anyone knows what type of oil
>they were using in the movie theaters before the big fat/cholesterol
>hysteria hit. It's some type of oil that has the "bad" cholesterol in it.
>I'd like to get some and try it at home. Can anyone remember? I wanna say
>coconut oil, but I know that's not it.

Actually it was coconut oil, at least that's what my theatre used in
the 1980's. But it is some nasty sh*t....stored in a five-gallon drum
that needed a constant heating element in the pump to keep the crap
from coagulating.

But that true poison of movie theater popcorn at the time wasn't the
oil, rather the seasoning we put in that popcorn. Five tablespoons of
some yellow powder flavoring crap loaded with enough salt and MSG to
make a chinese restaurant owner wince.

I had a system of popping cleaner popcorn at the time which some of my
customers asked for. It involved heating the coconut oil until it
turned from yellow-orange to clear, then throwing the popcorn in
kettle without the yellow crap. Popcorn would pop snow-white (instead
of yellow gold) and taste much more like stove-popped stuff at home.
:)

We even sold *real* butter for 25cents a hit...That rehydrogenated
soybean oil crap that passed for butter topping was too nasty for
words to describe.

But all this was at a time before the rise of mega-multiplexes, (a
sixplex theater was considered huge) when we still had skilled union
projectionists manning the booths and before the practices of storing
leftover popcorn in huge polyethylene bags NOT MEANT for food storage.

Needless to say, I NEVER bought popcorn from a movie theater
afterwards.

*****Saturn S. Padua | typ...@pacbell.net | UIN:1309732*******

David Carmichael

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
If it is Microwave popcorn I like: "Pop Weaver" 'Extra Butter'

But what I really like is pop corn [any 'low cost' brand will do] popped in
a 'West Bend' "Stir Crazy" popped with a high grade corn oil like Wesson.

--David

Adrian Appleberry

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
>Actually it was coconut oil, at least that's what my theatre used in
>the 1980's. But it is some nasty sh*t....stored in a five-gallon drum
>that needed a constant heating element in the pump to keep the crap
>from coagulating.

Well, the new method has the same oil inside bags which are inside boxes -
and yes, they still require heating. I spilled some of that shit on the
floor and it hardened to a nice slippery glaze in seconds... My comment -
"damn... I EAT this stuff? My heart... my heart!!!"

>But that true poison of movie theater popcorn at the time wasn't the
>oil, rather the seasoning we put in that popcorn. Five tablespoons of
>some yellow powder flavoring crap loaded with enough salt and MSG to
>make a chinese restaurant owner wince.

That's called Savorol, and I don't know what's in in... all I know is it
tastes like HYPER salt...

>But all this was at a time before the rise of mega-multiplexes, (a
>sixplex theater was considered huge) when we still had skilled union
>projectionists manning the booths and before the practices of storing
>leftover popcorn in huge polyethylene bags NOT MEANT for food storage.

Well, I can say that we never stored the popcorn - that shit got thrown out
each day... and this was at a multi-plex... As for the projectionists..
they dis-allow unions now... and pay crap wages too (Starting projectionist
makes a whole 6 bucks an hour now - woohoo...) In any case, I'm glad I left
that job.

Adam Gott/usenet

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Dateline: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 03:22:07 -0800 -- Author: "m."
<erp...@my-dejanews.com>

>In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
>which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
>If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?

(wow, off topic but at least it avoids the dreaded dvd vs. ld debate!)

I recommend a big pot and some good old fashioned oil popcorn. Sam's
Club sells this stuff by the gallon that is absolutely fantastic and
tastes damn near the same as most theaters (with less salt if you make
it that way!).
Laserdiscs were good but DVD is better!

bobkatmay

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Actually, it was coconut oil that was used for popping and PH soybean for
'butter'. When popping, the coconut oil is blended with this amazingly fine
yellow salt called 'flavacol'. Man, when I worked that popper, I made some
mighty tasty, heart-stopping popcorn that, to this date, I cannot duplicate
at home.

themr...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

> In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
> which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
> If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?

How about none of the above?

The best popcorn I've ever made has been on the stove. The stuff they use in
the commercial poppers (you know, the glass-walled poppers with the big
kettle) can be made at home. There are companies that supply this stuff, and
you can buy a case of "single serving" packs. The packs include the three
essential ingredients:

popcorn
oil
flavoring (sometimes goes under the brand name "Flavocol")

Pop it up in a big kettle on the stove. It's far better than microwave.

If you can't find the single serving packs, you can buy the ingredients
individually. The oil comes in 1 pound blocks (just like butter), and the
Flavocol comes in 1-quart cartons.

Chris

C. E. Tekell

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
My favorite was always the Orville Redenbacher's Movie
Yheater popcorn, but I never eat microwave popcorn anymore.
I picked up a popper called the whirly pop, a jar of butter
flavored coconut oil and some Flavocol popcorn salt, all
from the Funfood Company (www.funprofit.com). This tastes
just like movie theater popcorn without the butter topping,
but they also sell that, but only in the gallon size (I
decided it was worth it and haven't regretted it). It
requires just a few more minutes to prepare than microwave
popcorn and you do have to turn the crank that stirs the
popcorn while it pops, but the results are definitely worth
the effort. You can also get packs to make different
flavored popcorn, I can't speak for the other flavors, but
the caramel corn is very tasty.

Again, it takes a bit more effort, but the popper is
basically the popping bucket from a theater popper that is
manually cranked, and the ingredients are the same as those
used by theaters, so you can actually have movie theater
popcorn to munch on while watching DVDs. It might not be for
everyone, I find things like this fun and the popcorn
definitely tastes better than any microwave popcorn you
could find.

Regards,

C.E. Tekell

In article <368e0...@news3.uswest.net>, erpmeis@my-
dejanews.com says...

> Hello again :-)
>
> Over the last year I've taken advice from everything between which
> television I should buy, to which movies have the best commentaries, etc,
> etc.
>
> Off the top of my head, I don't believe I've been disappointed yet, so I
> figured I'd start the year off with a simple one.
>

> In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
> which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
> If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?

C. E. Tekell

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
In article <368ea4d6....@news.pacbell.net>,
typ...@pNaOcSbPeAlMl.net says...

> "Spike Forehand" <spike...@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> >As a follow-up question, I'd love to know if anyone knows what type of oil
> >they were using in the movie theaters before the big fat/cholesterol
> >hysteria hit. It's some type of oil that has the "bad" cholesterol in it.
> >I'd like to get some and try it at home. Can anyone remember? I wanna say
> >coconut oil, but I know that's not it.
>
> Actually it was coconut oil, at least that's what my theatre used in
> the 1980's. But it is some nasty sh*t....stored in a five-gallon drum
> that needed a constant heating element in the pump to keep the crap
> from coagulating.

Most theaters still use coconut oil. Naks-Pop is the most
common I have seen, though there are many other brands.
Cocnut oil has no cholesterol, though it does have a lot of
saturated fats. Although if real butter or other animal
products are used in the making of a butter-flavored oil, it
could have some cholesterol. Both the Naks-Pop, and the
solid form I am using now (can't recall the brand name, but
it is sold by the 2 lb jar (not as large as one would think)
at the website I mentioned in a previous post)are quite
nice.

> But that true poison of movie theater popcorn at the time wasn't the
> oil, rather the seasoning we put in that popcorn. Five tablespoons of
> some yellow powder flavoring crap loaded with enough salt and MSG to
> make a chinese restaurant owner wince.

Not a real health concern. The "salt is bad" thing has been
pretty well blown away by long term research. If you have a
condition that elevates your blood pressure or are diabetic,
you should watch your salt, and no one should just go crazy
with salt consumption, but it is nowhere as big of a deal as
it was made out to be in the past. The big deal is to use a
good brand that tastes good and does not require a ton for a
batch. I prefer Flavocol because it requires so little for a
whole batch of popcorn.

The real problem with the seaoning salt is that a lot of
places don't bother to tell their people that a little goes
a _very_ long way. In my popper, which takes 1/2 cup of
popcorn at a time, I use three tablespoons of liquid oil or
one tablespoon of solid and 1/2-1 tsp of seaoning salt qne
that is more than enough to make _very_ tasty popcorn. Add
one to three pumps of butter topping (one ouce per pump) and
it tastes great without using a ton of oil and salt.

In the end though, it all comes down to personal taste. The
best thing to do is try some of the different things
suggested until you find the one that tastes best to you. I
like my methods because it is the same stuff that is
currently used at my local theater, so in essence I am
getting the same popcorn (much, much cheaper too!). But it
might not taste as good to some others. To each their own,
right? ;-)

Regards,

C.E. Tekell

> I had a system of popping cleaner popcorn at the time which some of my
> customers asked for. It involved heating the coconut oil until it
> turned from yellow-orange to clear, then throwing the popcorn in
> kettle without the yellow crap. Popcorn would pop snow-white (instead
> of yellow gold) and taste much more like stove-popped stuff at home.
> :)
>
> We even sold *real* butter for 25cents a hit...That rehydrogenated
> soybean oil crap that passed for butter topping was too nasty for
> words to describe.
>

> But all this was at a time before the rise of mega-multiplexes, (a
> sixplex theater was considered huge) when we still had skilled union
> projectionists manning the booths and before the practices of storing
> leftover popcorn in huge polyethylene bags NOT MEANT for food storage.

Typhoon

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
"Adrian Appleberry" <loen...@swbell.net> wrote:

>Well, the new method has the same oil inside bags which are inside boxes -
>and yes, they still require heating. I spilled some of that shit on the
>floor and it hardened to a nice slippery glaze in seconds... My comment -
>"damn... I EAT this stuff? My heart... my heart!!!"

Funny thing was, if we spilled that cocunut oil crap (which we did
quite often) the only stuff outside of commercial degreasers that
would clean it up before it congealed was....

Savorol.

Spill a gallon, throw a couple of pounds of savorol in, soaks it right
up, sweep it away.

>Well, I can say that we never stored the popcorn - that shit got thrown out
>each day... and this was at a multi-plex...

I could never understand the logic of recyling food that cost
virtually nothing to make.

>As for the projectionists..
>they dis-allow unions now... and pay crap wages too (Starting projectionist
>makes a whole 6 bucks an hour now - woohoo...) In any case, I'm glad I left
>that job.

I don't miss that job either, all six years of it.....But I sure do
miss running that booth.

EBWells

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>Stay away from Pop Secret Premium Microwave Popcorn Big Popping Bag (3.5
>oz.) Just disgusting. Pops nearly all the kernals, it just tastes like crap.
>I'm looking for more of a movie theater texture/taste.

Sounds like you let the microwave on too long. Anyway, I've tried many types of
microwave popcorns and there are some brands I wish to try. So far, I've liked
the Orville Redenbacher's Redenbudders Movie Theatre Popcorn. I also like Pop
Secret HomeStyle, which has a very light texture of real butter and regular
table salt. I haven't tried the ACT II 2000 extreme butter popcorn yet and I
really want to get my hands on a bag of Paul Newman popcorn. To add some
texture reminiscent of movie theatre popcorns, I would add some Orville
Redenbacher's popcorn popping/topping oil. Thinking about it now, thank God for
Auto Reverse laserdisc players. Without them, we would have to touch our discs
with greasy hands if we were too lazy to wash them! Man, all this talk is
making me hungry for some popcorn myself. BTW, who knows why popcorn kernels
pop? My guess is that when the kernel is heated, the remaining moisture
evaporates into a gas and expands. This causes the kernel to explode, similar
to what happens when too much air is blown into a ballon. Am I right?
- Reinhart

EBWells

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>I don't eat microwave popcorn, but I'm going to add my $.02 anyway. The
>BEST way to prepare popcorn is to get a bag of Orville from the store and
>pop it yourself in a large pot. It's not as convenient, but tastes MUCH
>better than any microwave popcorn could. When it's all popped, pour it into
>a large brown grocery sack. season it with salt, melted (real) butter and
>grated parmesan cheese (Yea, you heard me right). Shake the bag well as you
>go and pour into a large bowl. It's simply AWESOME. Don't knock it till you
>have tried it, the more cheese the better :-)
>
>Try this once and you will never eat microwave popcorn again
>
>Peace
>
>- Brian

Hey, now that sounds delicious! I shoud try that sometime! - Reinhart

EBWells

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>As a follow-up question, I'd love to know if anyone knows what type of oil
>they were using in the movie theaters before the big fat/cholesterol
>hysteria hit. It's some type of oil that has the "bad" cholesterol in it.
>I'd like to get some and try it at home. Can anyone remember? I wanna say
>coconut oil, but I know that's not it.

It is indeed coconut oil that is used in theatres. - Reinhart

Adrian Appleberry

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>Funny thing was, if we spilled that coconut oil crap (which we did

>quite often) the only stuff outside of commercial degreasers that
>would clean it up before it congealed was....
>
>Savorol.

Which leads me to wonder what else is in that orange crap... But yes -
you're right - that worked... In any case, that stuff is nasty.

>I could never understand the logic of recycling food that cost
>virtually nothing to make.

Exactly... They get the popcorn in 50 pound bags for pennies on the dollar,
then they turn around and sell it for 4 bucks.

>>As for the projectionists..
>>they dis-allow unions now... and pay crap wages too (Starting
projectionist
>>makes a whole 6 bucks an hour now - woohoo...) In any case, I'm glad I
left
>>that job.
>
>I don't miss that job either, all six years of it.....But I sure do
>miss running that booth.

So do I... That was the only fun part about the job. I did everything at my
theatre at one time or another... started out in Concession - stayed there
for a week then moved up to box office... occasionally I was a floor usher,
but not often... then supervisor... then booth... then management... then
back to booth... then hasta la bye bye. I left when Act III was bought out
by Regal... couldn't stand their new policies and - PEPSI... Jeez.... :-)

Brent Phillips

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
I have to agree with everyone else that Orville's Double Feature popcorn is the
best I've had and the only popcorn I'll eat at home.

m. wrote:

> Hello again :-)
>
> Over the last year I've taken advice from everything between which
> television I should buy, to which movies have the best commentaries, etc,
> etc.
>
> Off the top of my head, I don't believe I've been disappointed yet, so I
> figured I'd start the year off with a simple one.
>
> In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
> which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
> If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?
>
> I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of popcorn, because it would be
> easy to go into other things to stuff our faces while we watch our favorite
> film. (Don't go there, lol. ;-)
>
> Looking forward to your responses.
>
> I guess I should be fair by starting off. Here's the reason why I am
> beginning this thread.
>

> Stay away from Pop Secret Premium Microwave Popcorn Big Popping Bag (3.5
> oz.) Just disgusting. Pops nearly all the kernals, it just tastes like crap.
> I'm looking for more of a movie theater texture/taste.

Brent Wilkins

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:20:24 -0600, "Adrian Appleberry"
<loen...@swbell.net> wrote:

>>Funny thing was, if we spilled that coconut oil crap (which we did
>>quite often) the only stuff outside of commercial degreasers that
>>would clean it up before it congealed was....
>>
>>Savorol.
>
>Which leads me to wonder what else is in that orange crap... But yes -
>you're right - that worked... In any case, that stuff is nasty.
>
>>I could never understand the logic of recycling food that cost
>>virtually nothing to make.
>
>Exactly... They get the popcorn in 50 pound bags for pennies on the dollar,
>then they turn around and sell it for 4 bucks.

Don't get me started on places that have soda fountains. They're
making a large profit percentage on each soda. My dad works for Coke
and gets ticked at my mom when she orders sodas with lots of ice just
because he knows how little they pay and what they make and with all
the ice taking up soda space, they're just making a larger profit

>So do I... That was the only fun part about the job. I did everything at my
>theatre at one time or another... started out in Concession - stayed there
>for a week then moved up to box office... occasionally I was a floor usher,
>but not often... then supervisor... then booth... then management... then
>back to booth... then hasta la bye bye. I left when Act III was bought out
>by Regal... couldn't stand their new policies and - PEPSI... Jeez.... :-)

And don't get me started on Pepsi. =) He worked there before Coke.

Brent

Jason Lurcott

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
to Brent Wilkins
> Don't get me started on places that have soda fountains. They're
> making a large profit percentage on each soda. My dad works for Coke
> and gets ticked at my mom when she orders sodas with lots of ice just
> because he knows how little they pay and what they make and with all
> the ice taking up soda space, they're just making a larger profit

Getting Ice in soda is like 1.50 for a few ice cubes. Hell, I just
sneak in soda which I keep in a cooler in the car. More money to
circulate some of that weird funky butter in through my system.

That business with the weird name
http://www.erols.com/chachie
cha...@erols.com

"Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting!"

TrekFX

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

About ten years ago I took a course, "Food and People" (a comprehensive health
and nutrition class) at the Manchester annex of UNH. It was conducted by a
doctor who pretty well-respected heart researcher. We were discussing non-dairy
creamers, which at the time were made with tropical oils such as coconut and
palm-kernel. His name for them: "Instant heart disease"! They really tend to
coat the linings of blood vessels...

Ever since then, I read the labels! You'd be surprised where tropical oils show
up!

Dennis L

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
"m." <erp...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>In your opinion, who makes the best microwave popcorn? If you can't decide
>which is your favorite, then post which ones to avoid.
>If you don't like microwave popcorn, what hot-air popper to you recommend?

Two of my favorites:

ACT II- 2000 series (extreme butter)
Orville's Double Feature butter popcorn

sstrick

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Best microwave popcorn BY FAR is .... Boy Scout popcorn!! It rules.
If some boy scouts are selling it, GET SOME.

ACT II? Ick...too light and dry.

Mark A. Roman

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
Over the holidays QVC had a popcorn maker on their show. I had this machine
and loved it and found that $19.99 was an excellent price for movie theater
quality popcorn. Anyway the new version that they had was called Whirley
Pop or Theater II popcorn maker. What it is is a pot about 2 quarts deep i
believe...maybe bigger. It has a lid on it and a handle that you crank to
turn the kernels. It works on the stove and I find this to make the best
popcorn, even better than the movie theathers. The kit I bought from QVC
had 6 packs of popcorn which have the oil and popcorn all self containted
and premeasured. If you can find the machine I recommend it for anyone who
loves popcorn. I also found it at Marshall Fields as well.

Mark