pixars tex trailer

A. Zimmermann

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

Hi dear ac-3 Fans!

When will the tex trailer be released, besides on the ToyStory Box. It's
unfair to buy the Box if you allready have the clv version.
It should be the standard THX-Trailer. though.
Arne

Blaine Young

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

On 29 Apr 1997 09:21:59 GMT, "A. Zimmermann"
<Arne.Zi...@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

I suspect the TEX THX trailer on the "Toy Story" box set is a
"one-off", since the trailer is the exact theatrical version with the
word "Laserdisc" added below it. Home video companies are not
normally thrilled to throw a bunch of trailers on the beginning of
LaserDisc titles.

Take Paramount - They have yet to release any Dolby Digital disc which
includes the AC-3 trailer. Disney doesn't include the trailer either.

Fox shortened the Dolby Digital trailer on "That Thing You Do!" to
just the last 5 seconds.

The TEX trailer will run about 30 seconds, and while that doesn't seem
like a lot, it could mean the difference in $$$. It costs more to
master CAA60 than it does to master CAA55. So if it means the
difference between running a 5 second trailer, over a 15 second
trailer, we'll get a shortened version.

Blaine
bl...@oz.net
http://www.oz.net/blam

Adam Hendershot

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

Blaine Young wrote:
> Take Paramount - They have yet to release any Dolby Digital disc which
> includes the AC-3 trailer. Disney doesn't include the trailer either.

I think Congo has the City trailer on it. I could be mistaken, and I
don't feel like powering everything up to check it, though. :)

Adam

Simon Blears

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

In article <336915ac...@news.accessone.com>, bl...@oz.net says...

> The TEX trailer will run about 30 seconds, and while that doesn't seem
> like a lot, it could mean the difference in $$$. It costs more to
> master CAA60 than it does to master CAA55. So if it means the
> difference between running a 5 second trailer, over a 15 second
> trailer, we'll get a shortened version.

I seem to remember from the commentary on the Toy Story LD, that they had
great difficulty fitting the THX 'Tex' bit in. I think they said they
had to get special permission from the legal eagles to shorten the FBI
warning (see, you THOUGHT it was shorter, didn't you?) at the start, so
that it would fit.

If anyone wants more info, I'll listen to it again and let you know.

Simon....

NealGrof

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

I have the Toy Story Box.

Is the sound at the beginning of the THX "trailer" clipped off on
everyone's? I get the graphic first, and then after a second (estimated),
the sound cuts in. Is this just part of the "THX on-the fritz" joke, or
is my copy defective?

Also, the audio is nowhere near as powerful at the end than on my other
THX lasers.

FYI: I'm listening to Pro-Logic only.

Neal

NealGrof

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

Thomas Meyer

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

NealGrof <neal...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970502172...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> Is the sound at the beginning of the THX "trailer" clipped off on
> everyone's?

Can't comment on that, since I normally listen to it in Dolby Digital.

> Also, the audio is nowhere near as powerful at the end than on my other
> THX lasers.
> FYI: I'm listening to Pro-Logic only.

Yes, the normal PCM audio for the trailer was recorded MUCH too low. The
Dolby Digital track has the correct volume (and kicks ass).

Bye,
Thomas
--
Thomas Meyer Student of Computer Science
Bremen E-Mail: i0...@zfn.uni-bremen.de

Robert Anthony

May 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/4/97
to Simon Blears

The difficulty lay in the fact that they were ready to go to press when
the 'Tex' THX intro became available. They had already gone through the
process (i.e., time and $$$) to prep Toy Story for the production run
and has squeezed a LOT of data onto side one. Thus they could not find
enough space on side one to fit 'Tex' onto the disc without either
relaying the entire movie (i.e., time and $$$ over budget) or without
giving up some other piece of data (17 seconds of the FBI warning that
we all shall not miss). A great trade by any standard!

Robert