Best of Roger Rabbitt CAV LD.....repressing?

Joseph Preza

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if this CAV laserdisc was ever repressed or was the only
pressing available the recalled version?

Any info would be helpful......Joe

Adam Richardson

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
In article <szaA4.1040$fU3....@nuq-read.news.verio.net>, "Joseph Preza"
<pre...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know if this CAV laserdisc was ever repressed or was the only
> pressing available the recalled version?

Joe,

Though it was never repressed (or re-released), there is another version
available from Japan. It's Walt Disney Home Video and Touchstone Video
Catalog #PILF-2249 and includes both WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and THE BEST
OF ROGER RABBIT in one gatefold jacket package.

--
Adam Richardson "Other than taxes, death and my ego,
aric...@airmail.net few things go about sans changes."

Roy van der Pijl

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
and if you live in europe and you have a PAL/NTSC player you can buy the
european edition of WFRR which also includes the BEST OF ROGER RABBIT (in
CAV).

remember though that the Japanese and european editions are slightly
censored. The reason why this disc was recalled in the US was that there
were a few frames which Disney Co. thought were not suitable for small
children.
Parts of the frames (no more then 10) are airbrushed so that the offending
part can't be seen (I thought it was a poster on the wall in the saw
factory).

roy

Adam Richardson <aric...@airmail.net> wrote in message

Joseph Preza

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Thanks for the info guys. One more question: what were the "questionable"
scenes that caused this disc to be recalled?

Joe

Adam Richardson

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
In article <OLvA4.1146$fU3....@nuq-read.news.verio.net>, "Joseph Preza"
<pre...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the info guys. One more question: what were the "questionable"
> scenes that caused this disc to be recalled?

The reason that this disc was called back remains a mystery. Many have
speculated that it was the "Rigid Tools" poster listed below, or the image
in frame 27647-27656.

Walt Disney Home Video's official explanation was "glue defect," though
they never reissued it in the U.S.

Attached is a frame listing of the sight gags:

From Brian Hawkins (and a few others):
This is a list of gags from the 3 shorts included on the CAV laserdisc of
"The Best of Roger Rabbit". Its a list I've compiled from my own
observations as well as others who've posted them to A.V.L. Some of the
gags listed are very obvious and were included for the benefit of those who
have not seen the cartoons at all but are interested in the type of humor
on the disc. If anyone knows of any other ones let me know. Enjoy.

Tummy Trouble:
3385 - 3 wolves in picture above Baby Herman's crib look like old Tex Avery
wolf characters
3429 - Raggedy Ann doll is lying next to dresser in Baby Herman's house
3594- Name of hospital is St. Nowhere (reference to TV show St. Elsewhere)
3810 - You hear nurse paging "Dr. Scholl" on the intercom at the hospital
3797- In Baby Herman's hospital room there is an x-ray of Mickey's skull
3797- In Baby Herman's Hospital room there is a money sack on the scale
(since it has a s on it it could be scrooge McDucks's ?)
3809 - The dressing curtain has Mickey's shoes and shorts on it
3809 - There is picture of a crazy aladdin-esque picture on the wall in
Baby Herman's room
3817- Picture of the Baby Herman's moms feet on the wall (Roger breaks it
when he opens the door)
3848 - As Roger enters Baby Herman's room there is a body with a toe tag on
the stretcher outside the door
3922 - Now there is a fish on the scale in Baby Herman's room
4721 - There is picture on the wall of a "Rabbit Brain" and it shows a peanut
5277 - 5303 - As doctors put Roger on stretcher they punch him in the face
several times
5338, 5425 - 5535 - There are lots of funny "ology" doors: proctology
(first as a sign on wall), pathology, urology, proctology (now on a door),
gynocology, bilogy, radiology, geology, theology, archeology, zoology,
eygyptology, astrology, musicology, physiology, pharacology, phraseology,
and finally Burbank
7210 - In background we see box of human bones, tree saws and sewing needle
and thread
7790 - 7825 - When atomic hare splitter is about to cut Roger it looks just
like classic scene in goldfinger
8200 - When Baby Herman falls of rocket you see a butcher knife with blood on it
8491 - Bottom of rocket says "Made in Glendale" which is where I think the
animation studio is
9415--animator's error (mistaken one cell panelling)
9443 - As Roger leaves elevator there is a mickey shaped mouse hole in the
lower right corner
9540--Mickey Mouse Mouse Hole (lower right corner)
10010 - Explosives pile has a lot of funny items in it: human waist, PU,
diaper pail, Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas), ether, O2, a sea mine
10260 - 10345 - As Roger falls through floors his body has 3 different
positions:first one looks normal, second one looks egyptian, third one has
him with his thumb on his nose doing a rude gesture, also see lavalite and
sign for proctology with a gloved finger pointing.
10329--Mickey Mouse in the bathroom stall (look for the familiar yellow
shoes, the red shorts and, of course, the red suspenders around his ankles)
10346 - Life Insurance machine in the hospital lobby
11264 - On the movie set at the end of the cartoon we see a set next door
that looks just like the pirates of the carribean from Disneyland

Roller Coaster Rabbit:
13776 - At beginning we see a poster of a roller coaster called "Tummy
Trouble" (name of previous cartoon) and the caption says, "have fun till
you puke"
13786 - Two layout artist names on wall, Bob Walker, and Mark Wallace plus
something I can't read
13868 - Also see a poster for The Little Mermaid
13877 - Also see a poster for "The Wooden Boy" (Pinnochio)
14121 - The pyschic is Clarabelle the cow from really early B/W Disney cartoons
14927--Roger Rabbit giving the camera quite pointedly the finger
15467 - When we first see the dart game the prizes hanging around it are
rabbits with red overalls
15776 - 15870 - Rogers pulls out all kinds of interesting things from Baby
Herman's crib: a gun (goes off when he drops it), cigars, gambling hat,
anvil, bowling ball, poison, tire, sink, dice, bear trap, "Playtoon"
magazine, hatchet, TNT15817 - Mickey Mouse Club ears flying through the
scene for a frame or two
15822 - Pulls out "Look" book from crib (employee training manual at Disney)
15824--Roger very quickly disgarding the Disney "Look" training book (a
real training manual for Disney employees)
15950 - When we see dart game again there a little Mickey's as prizes
18212 - When Baby Herman tries to grab red ball in bulls legs, he misses
and grabs something else
19362 - Number on the runaway roller coaster is
1317534- When we see map of US as roller coaster comes back down we see
that roller coaster is in the Orlando Florida area
19700--a wood saw stuck in the framework of a wooden rollercoaster19849 -
After next big hill we see the coaster track spell out the word "Jeepers"
which seems to be one of Rogers favorite expressions
19343 - Map of US has interesting things on it, sea monsters, compass
points, tall masted sailing ships
19699 - There is a hand saw stuck in the roller coaster frame
21054 - We see 2 "DIP" signs and they both point towards Roger
22245 - Kissing booth in background says "no tongues" on the sign
23580 - 23700 - After final credits roll Baby Herman scares attractive
young women by popping her ballon the asks (in a very suggestive matter)
"Whats the matter toots, afraid of a little bang"

Trail Mixup:
25147 - On side of road in opening scene of heavy traffic there is a dead
rat on the side of the road that looks just like classic cartoon rat from
60's/70's car model kits called Rat Fink
25212 - Sign says "YellowStain Park"
25465 - When Roger trips you see he's wearing blue bikini underwear
25556 - When Roger sets up camp we see the "Suck-o-Lux" vacuum cleaner from
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
27647-27656 ***** If there's anything that's hidden (apart from the "Rigid
Tools" shot) that would cause them to pull this disc, it's this: after
Jessica Rabbit arrives at the campsite in the third cartoon--when Roger is
quite, well how should I put this, cartoonishly arroused--carefully watch
the smoke rising from the fire (do a frame by frame). The singular image it
creates is, in my oppinion, very very vaginal (clitoris and all). Look at
frames 27647-27656, but especially image 27553, where the image is very
clear: it's made from the top of the smoke plume.
26725 - Roger makes a Davey Crocket hat with his ear (Classic Disney show
with Fess Parker)
2700 - 27087 - As Roger and Baby Herman cook their hotdogs on the fire
Roger tells Baby Herman to "backup now Baby Herman, you don't wanna burn
your weiny"
28143 - Bugkiller spray gun says "Mink-Off", Gary Minkoff was the Co-Exec
Producer
28650 - Moose on cereal box has a bulls eye target on its butt
29190 - As he's running around with the hive on his head theres an outhouse
in the background, we see Baby Herman's Mom's feet in there with her gun
leaning against the outhouse
29355 - Mickey Mouse as a bee (a real gem)
29382 - Bee #7 looks like the game show host on the Ren and stimpy show, or
may be modeled after one of the animators
29387 - Bee #8 looks like the character Evenrude the dragonfly from
Disney's "The Resuers"
29396 - Bee #9 looks like a fairy from "Fantasia" or maybe modeled after a
another animator
29685 - 29900- When Roger gets chased by droopy as shark they play the jaws
theme music (tribute to Speilberg who was exec producer)
31340 - 31384 - At saw mill Roger shouts "Shiver Me Timbers" which is
famous line from disney classic "Treasure Island"
31553--Roger as Ren (as in Ren from Ren and Stimpy--it must have been big
that year)
31554 - Log falling on rogers makes him puke his intestines
35167- Log falling on Roger puts him in a lawn chair with a drink
32121 - When rogers pants stretch you can see his hairy butt
32388 - When Roger reforms himself from all the little rogers, one of them
gets left behind
32478 - As Roger runs after Baby Herman we see a girlie poster on the wall
that shows a women (Jessica Rabbit) in a skimpy bikini with a toothed saw
between her legs and the poster caption is "Rigid Tools"
32590 - 32630 - As Roger catches up with Baby Herman he explains "I got soo
nervous I almost dropped a log!"
32784 - As Roger is trying to save Baby Herman he gets his crotch caught on
a log branch
32842 - Just before the log flume ride starts Roger's eyes turn into skulls
and crossbones
32916 - As Roger rushes to Baby Herman's log there is one frame where the
Baby Herman cell is missing (Beaver is all by himself) then suddenly Baby
Herman reappears (perhaps a censored cel?)
33118 - There is a wanted poster on a tree during log flume ride, could be
modeled after an animator
33119--a quick flash of a wanter poster (nailed to a tree) most likely
featuring an animator's mug shot
33218 - on the back of the log, for a frame or two, a bumper sticker saying
"We Visited Splash Mountain"
33442 - The bear pull Baby Herman's moms hiking boot from ther river on his
fish hook
34381 - South Dakota sign says Radul J Radul is governor, This was the name
given to maroon cartoon director of "Somehtinís Cooking" the Roger Rabbit
Cartoon at the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit
35460 - When Roger pops the world we see it got popped at the North Pole,
not in South Dakota where he was

Roy van der Pijl

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00

> The reason that this disc was called back remains a mystery. Many have
> speculated that it was the "Rigid Tools" poster listed below, or the image
> in frame 27647-27656.
>
> Walt Disney Home Video's official explanation was "glue defect," though
> they never reissued it in the U.S.

A few years ago I scanned the PAL edition for all the gags. The only thing
which wasn't there was the "Rigid tools" poster which was airbrushed into
something blurry....do indeed I guess that that was the reason.

Roy