So... What about "The Shining" Miniseries?

1 view

`Shadow`

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Is it just me or have they released every Stephen King Miniseries around
this one on DVD? I have The Stand, and The Langoliers and Storm of the
Century are both available... and I don't recall precisely but I believe
that the Tommyknockers and IT are also available, yes? So what's the deal?
I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse of
artistic liberty any day of the week.

Hokeyboy25

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
>I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse of
>artistic liberty any day of the week.

Achh.. that TV miniseries stunk the joint out.

It was poorly directed, miserably acted, too long and drawn-out to build up any
kind of suspense, chills, or terror, and most of all -- IT WASN'T SCARY. At
all. Not even a little. The melodrama clock was resting comfortably at 11:58
PM.

It might have been a bettter *adaptation* of the source material, but it was a
terrible movie (miniseries, whatever).

Kubrick's film, with whatever flaws it might have, towers above it any every
conceivable way *except* faithfulness to the source material. And it's terribly
frightening to boot.

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
In article <jkbh4.14508$pb2.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,

"`Shadow`" <NOearl...@berkshire.net> wrote:
> Is it just me or have they released every Stephen King Miniseries
around
> this one on DVD? I have The Stand, and The Langoliers and Storm of
the
> Century are both available...

Langoliers is not out yet.

> and I don't recall precisely but I
believe
> that the Tommyknockers and IT are also available, yes?

No, IT is not out yet.

> So what's the
deal?

> I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse
of
> artistic liberty any day of the week.

I look at the miniseries as an excercise in how NOT to adapt a story
into a film. All the elements that Kubrick rightly left out of his
version were put in while all the best elements(that Kubrick put in
himself) are missing.(I think the last thing I would EVER be frightened
of is Steven Webber-or anyone else- aggressively brandishing a croquet
mallet)

While Kubrick's version continues to grow in stature and popularity, the
miniseries has quickly faded into oblivion.(How many college courses
have you seen that discuss the miniseries?)

It would be too much to ask that it never be made available on DVD, but
do we have to keep being reminded that Stephen King's better days(and I
use better very loosely) are long(and I mean long) behind him? King is a
writer,(decent at best) not a filmmaker, and the two mediums require
completely different talents and approaches(both of which King lacks) to
tell a story. How many opportunities is King going to be given before
the studios realize he sucks as a screenwriter/filmmaker? Didn't they
get the clue with Maximum Overdrive?

--
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doug Wheeler

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Hokeyboy25 <hokey...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse of
> >artistic liberty any day of the week.
>
> Achh.. that TV miniseries stunk the joint out.
>
> It was poorly directed, miserably acted, too long and drawn-out to build
up any
> kind of suspense, chills, or terror, and most of all -- IT WASN'T SCARY.
At
> all. Not even a little. The melodrama clock was resting comfortably at
11:58
> PM.
>
> It might have been a bettter *adaptation* of the source material, but it
was a
> terrible movie (miniseries, whatever).
>
> Kubrick's film, with whatever flaws it might have, towers above it any
every
> conceivable way *except* faithfulness to the source material. And it's
terribly
> frightening to boot.

Of course, the miniseries is closer to King's original vision (which is why
he made the miniseries). The primary focus of the story (according
interviews with King) was to the breakdown of a family due to alchoholism,
work-related stress, etc. The "horror" aspect was secondary. Kubrick went
the other way and focused on the horror aspect and down-played emotional
aspects of the family's destruction.

--Doug

Bosshog

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Thank god Kubrick didn't stick to the source material..The novel is one of
King's worst....it's a complete mess.
It is a hokey piece of writing.

`Shadow`

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Interesting how different people's perceptions can be... see, I thought that
the miniseries was much scarier BECAUSE it stayed much more in tune with the
original narrative. I thought that Kubrick's interpretation was cowardly in
that he didn't bother to give us prowling topiaries, replacing them with
lame-ass stationary topiaries that formed an intricate maze. Come on, Stan,
after a master work like 2001 you couldn't see the way clear for any kind of
special effect beyond red Kool-Aid spilling out of a Papier Maché elevator?
Please... I also thought that Nicholson played the role of Jack Torrence
way Way WAY over the top and it just wasn't remotely believable.

Hokeyboy25 wrote in message
<20000119121217...@ng-cg1.aol.com>...

`Shadow`

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

sma...@my-deja.com wrote in message <8655ro$l52$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <jkbh4.14508$pb2.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,
> "`Shadow`" <NOearl...@berkshire.net> wrote:
>> Is it just me or have they released every Stephen King Miniseries
>around
>> this one on DVD? I have The Stand, and The Langoliers and Storm of
>the
>> Century are both available...
>
>Langoliers is not out yet.
>
>> and I don't recall precisely but I
>believe
>> that the Tommyknockers and IT are also available, yes?
>
>No, IT is not out yet.
>
>> So what's the
>deal?
>> I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse
>of
>> artistic liberty any day of the week.
>
>I look at the miniseries as an excercise in how NOT to adapt a story
>into a film. All the elements that Kubrick rightly left out of his
>version were put in while all the best elements(that Kubrick put in
>himself) are missing.(I think the last thing I would EVER be frightened
>of is Steven Webber-or anyone else- aggressively brandishing a croquet
>mallet)
>
>While Kubrick's version continues to grow in stature and popularity, the
>miniseries has quickly faded into oblivion.(How many college courses
>have you seen that discuss the miniseries?)

How many beady-eyed clove-cigarette-smoking film students go on to make 6
and 7 figure annual incomes? Kinda like the Amway bell curve: 2 million
salesmen, 400 millionaires. The fact that some idjit film professor (or
two, or twenty-two, or twenty-thousand-two) puts this film up on a pedestal
doesn't make it a film worthy of its own press.

>It would be too much to ask that it never be made available on DVD, but
>do we have to keep being reminded that Stephen King's better days(and I
>use better very loosely) are long(and I mean long) behind him? King is a
>writer,(decent at best) not a filmmaker, and the two mediums require
>completely different talents and approaches(both of which King lacks) to
>tell a story. How many opportunities is King going to be given before
>the studios realize he sucks as a screenwriter/filmmaker? Didn't they
>get the clue with Maximum Overdrive?

<Shrug> Your mileage may vary... Loved Pet Sematary, loved Needful Things,
loved Misery, loved The Stand - all of which Stephen King had a say in
making of - really loathed The Shining because the story got lost in the
art.

>--
>"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

But that would hurt.

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
In article <GJuh4.16026$pb2.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,

And what does this have to do with the price of hookers in Bangkok?

> Kinda like the Amway bell curve: 2
million
> salesmen, 400 millionaires. The fact that some idjit film professor
(or
> two, or twenty-two, or twenty-thousand-two) puts this film up on a
pedestal
> doesn't make it a film worthy of its own press.

FYI, it's not just ONE professor and you can guarantee that no one is
ever going to waste any time thinking about the artistic merits of the
miniseries.

> >It would be too much to ask that it never be made available on DVD,
but
> >do we have to keep being reminded that Stephen King's better days(and
> >use better very loosely) are long(and I mean long) behind him? King
is a
> >writer,(decent at best) not a filmmaker, and the two mediums require
> >completely different talents and approaches(both of which King lacks)
> >tell a story. How many opportunities is King going to be given before
> >the studios realize he sucks as a screenwriter/filmmaker? Didn't they
> >get the clue with Maximum Overdrive?
>
> <Shrug> Your mileage may vary... Loved Pet Sematary,

Decent.

> loved Needful
>Things,

Decent.

> loved Misery,

Actually pretty good.

> loved The Stand

I liked it except for the last hour.

>- all of which Stephen King had a say in
> making of

Which means nothing. I tend to believe- like quite a few others- that
films based on King stories(and that have his input) that are good are
good IN SPITE of King.

>- really loathed The Shining because the story got lost in
>the
> art.

Which version? Oh wait, you said art so you must mean Kubrick's film.
;-)

Kubrick wasn't trying to tell King's story. He was telling HIS story. He
may have used elements from King's story, but there is no question that
he was in charge. Kubrick was a filmmaker. Stephen King is not. That is
the reason why I brought up Maximum Overdrive- King directed it! Ouch!

--
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Eric R.

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

> I'd definitely rather watch that miniseries or Kubrick's gross abuse
> of artistic liberty any day of the week.

Yeah I just don't know why anyone could prefer Kubrick's film over the
awesome miniseries. I mean all Kubrick's version has going for it is
Jack Nicholson, depth, complex metaphor, awesome cinematography, a
haunting score, a real budget, and one of the greatest directors of all
time.

On the other hand, the infinitely superior miniseries has everything
going for it: the guy from Wings, the superb acting of Elliot Gould and
Marvin Van Peebles, simpler dialogue, lots of ghosts in cheap makeup,
CGI, a happy ending, and a screenplay penned by the guy who directed
Maximum Overdrive.

All that depth and complexity in the Kubrick version just makes my head
hurt anyway. I don't watch movies to have to think! If I wanted to do
that, I'd go back to elementary school. And, besides, there was way too
much violence and bloodshed in Kubrick's movie. And why does Jack have
to keep using the F-word on his murderous rampage? Can't he just say
"darn" like in the miniseries?

-Eric

Grievous Angel

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
sma...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Langoliers is not out yet.

That's funny, I'm looking at my copy of "The Langoliers" on DVD right
now. It's part of Artisan's Horror Collectors Pack #2 and is most
definitely out.

Childof80s

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
I dunno, I found the moving topiaries very, very goofy in the miniseries.
They were more effective in the book.
Ben

"I guess there's just two kinds of people Miss Sandstone, my kind of people,
and assholes...its rather obvious which category you fit in to."-Connie Marble
(Pink Flamingos)

`Shadow`

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
See, that's what I love about the Internet. You meet so many different
types: Folks who can disagree and still manage to speak on a certain level
of civility...and then there are people like you: people who over and over
again make the argument for the necessity of a killfile. It's one thing to
disagree, but when one feels he/she/it needs to belittle and insult others
opinions in order to drive home their own, it's been my experience that a
killfile is about the only place that attitude is ever really welcomed or
appreciated. So enjoy the view...

<PLONK>

`Shadow`

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

Grievous Angel wrote in message
<5hle8sg11vp2koohn...@4ax.com>...

Thank you. I KNEW I wasn't going crazy.

Eric R.

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

> See, that's what I love about the Internet. You meet so many different
> types: Folks who can disagree and still manage to speak on a certain
> level of civility...

Hey man I was just trying to support you. We miniseries fans need to
stick together. If we don't support Steven Webber's career, who will?

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
In article <869q7c$1bq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Eric R. <elr...@pop.uky.edu> wrote:

> > See, that's what I love about the Internet. You meet so many
different
> > types: Folks who can disagree and still manage to speak on a
certain
> > level of civility...
>
> Hey man I was just trying to support you. We miniseries fans need to
> stick together. If we don't support Steven Webber's career, who will?

There was so much sarcasm dripping from your previous response, I had to
swim through it just to post this response. :-)

Speaking of Wings, do you think they'll ever make a movie out of it?
Jack Nicholson could play Webber's character. ;-)

--
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
In article <wQNh4.17639$pb2.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,

"`Shadow`" <NOearl...@berkshire.net> wrote:

> Grievous Angel wrote in message
> <5hle8sg11vp2koohn...@4ax.com>...
> >sma...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >

> >>Langoliers is not out yet.
> >>

> >That's funny, I'm looking at my copy of "The Langoliers" on DVD right
> >now. It's part of Artisan's Horror Collectors Pack #2 and is most
> >definitely out.

Can you buy it separate? If not, then it can't really be considered
available. I know that Matewan is in some Indie film 3-pack, but I sure
as hell am not going to spend $35 just for Matewan. And I certainly
wouldn't pay $45 just for Langoliers. So AFIAMC, it's not available yet.

Brent Wilkins

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:25:01 GMT, Eric R. <elr...@pop.uky.edu> wrote:

>> See, that's what I love about the Internet. You meet so many different
>> types: Folks who can disagree and still manage to speak on a certain
>> level of civility...
>
>Hey man I was just trying to support you. We miniseries fans need to
>stick together. If we don't support Steven Webber's career, who will?

The select few of us who are Wings or Dracula: Dead And loving it fans
=)

>-Eric

Eric R.

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

>> There was so much sarcasm dripping from your previous response, I had
to swim through it just to post this response. :-)<<

Sometimes you just have to vent.

> Speaking of Wings, do you think they'll ever make a movie out of it?
> Jack Nicholson could play Webber's character. ;-)

LOL! You know I hate to admit it, but I actually kind of liked that
show.

Worker Working

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
To drag this further off-topic I thought that Wings had very clever
writing. Besides the fact that I was madly in love with the owner of
the cafe' the characters were all very quirky and interesting.

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
In article <RVNh4.17645$pb2.1...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,

"`Shadow`" <NOearl...@berkshire.net> wrote:
> See, that's what I love about the Internet. You meet so many different
> types: Folks who can disagree and still manage to speak on a certain
level
> of civility...and then there are people like you: people who over and
over
> again make the argument for the necessity of a killfile. It's one
thing to
> disagree, but when one feels he/she/it needs to belittle and insult
others
> opinions in order to drive home their own, it's been my experience
that a
> killfile is about the only place that attitude is ever really welcomed
or
> appreciated. So enjoy the view...
>
> <PLONK>

LOL! Anyone who prefers the miniseries over the film has already made
themselves look like an ass. You certainly don't need to me to tell you
that you are an ass, but I will anyway: You're an ass.

--

"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Ethan Straffin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
In article <86dtbe$s60$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, sma...@my-deja.com wrote:

>LOL! Anyone who prefers the miniseries over the film has already made
>themselves look like an ass. You certainly don't need to me to tell you
>that you are an ass, but I will anyway: You're an ass.

Hooray, I'm an ass too!

And so is Stephen King, apparently.

Could you do me a favor and send me a list of which other movie
preferences are irrefutable hallmarks of asshood? (Assness? Assidity?)
There are a few people whom, like, I'm wondering if they're asses or not,
and it would be great to have a few movie questions to ask them so that I
could establish it for sure.

To answer the original question, Kubrick (who owns the movie rights) only
allowed the miniseries to be made on the condition that it would never be
released on home video in the U.S. Sorry, Shadow. If it makes you feel
any better, a release in another region may still be a possibility, by my
understanding. Of course, forget not that I am an ass, so I could be
wrong.

Well, gotta run...time for my Asses Anonymous meeting. (I met this cool
guy there last week, name of Dogberry...)

Ethan

--
ethan straffin /\ -o- you know
dr...@best.com /\ /\ i think we should put some mountains here

Justin McGill

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

OUCH.. are you freakin kiddin? I KNOW the guy was a genius and all.. but
sheesh.. is he that protective of The Shining? Is he that scared of it or
what? I admit, I think for style Kubrick's wins hands down.. although I am
left (which is pretty cool) wondering whether Jack has just lost his sanity
or is being manipulated by ghosts..

what I saw of the mini, I wasn't all that impressed.. but that doesn't mean
I think it should be barred from video either.

Justin

Ethan Straffin <dr...@best.com> wrote in message

Douglas Bailey

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Ethan Straffin <dr...@best.com> wrote:

> To answer the original question, Kubrick (who owns the movie rights) only
> allowed the miniseries to be made on the condition that it would never be
> released on home video in the U.S. Sorry, Shadow.

I hadn't heard this: the version I've read (in TV GUIDE, admittedly)
was that Kubrick would only allow the mini-series to be made if King
would refrain from publically rubbishing the film. May I ask what your
source is for this information?

There was some talk last year about a release of the mini-series: I
think it was Steve Tannehill -- owner of the DVD Resource Page
(http://www.dvdresource.com) -- who was in contact with director Mick
Garris about it. If there were an injunction preventing the series
from being released on home video, I'd have expected Garris to mention
it in those conversations.

But I could be wrong. Or an ass. :)

doug

--

--------------douglas bailey (trys...@ne.mediaone.net)--------------
this week dragged past me so slowly; the days fell on their knees...

Ethan Straffin

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
In article <MPG.12f4f63d4...@nntp.ne.mediaone.net>, Douglas
Bailey <trys...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote:

>Ethan Straffin <dr...@best.com> wrote:
>
>> To answer the original question, Kubrick (who owns the movie rights) only
>> allowed the miniseries to be made on the condition that it would never be
>> released on home video in the U.S. Sorry, Shadow.
>
>I hadn't heard this: the version I've read (in TV GUIDE, admittedly)
>was that Kubrick would only allow the mini-series to be made if King
>would refrain from publically rubbishing the film. May I ask what your
>source is for this information?

It was a long time ago, though I'm pretty sure it was from this
newsgroup. I'll do some searching on the web/Deja and see if I can track
it down. All I remember was that the source sounded reliable enough that
I took it seriously and was disappointed.

>But I could be wrong. Or an ass. :)

Well, I for one hope you're right.

Norm? Any hints? :)

Eric R.

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

> And so is Stephen King, apparently.

After Maximum Overdrive, was there ever any doubt?

sma...@my-deja.com

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
In article <drumz-23010...@straffin-dsl-1.stanford.edu>,

dr...@best.com (Ethan Straffin) wrote:
> In article <86dtbe$s60$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, sma...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >LOL! Anyone who prefers the miniseries over the film has already made
> >themselves look like an ass. You certainly don't need to me to tell
you
> >that you are an ass, but I will anyway: You're an ass.
>
> Hooray, I'm an ass too!

Good for you.

> And so is Stephen King, apparently.

Well, that's been obvious for a LOOOOONG time.

> Could you do me a favor and send me a list of which other movie
> preferences are irrefutable hallmarks of asshood?

Disco films. ;-)

> (Assness?
>Assidity?)

Assholitis.

> There are a few people whom, like, I'm wondering if they're asses or
not,
> and it would be great to have a few movie questions to ask them so
that I
> could establish it for sure.

If they like Julia Roberts' films they're an ass.(this is just one
example- there are countless others :-))

> To answer the original question, Kubrick (who owns the movie rights)
only
> allowed the miniseries to be made on the condition that it would never
be

> released on home video in the U.S. Sorry, Shadow. If it makes you
feel
> any better, a release in another region may still be a possibility, by
my
> understanding. Of course, forget not that I am an ass, so I could be
> wrong.

I wonder if Kubrick's death would change anything. I'm sure all queries
would have to go through his estate.

> Well, gotta run...time for my Asses Anonymous meeting. (I met this
cool
> guy there last week, name of Dogberry...)

Ya gotta love 'im.

--
"We win, and they get the chicks. That sucks, dude."

"I'm telling you, it's jobs. We gotta get jobs.
Then we get the khakis. Then we get the chicks."

geena phillips

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
>> Could you do me a favor and send me a list of which other movie
>> preferences are irrefutable hallmarks of asshood?
>
>Disco films. ;-)

Hey! No dissing on Can't Stop The Music!

>> (Assness?
>>Assidity?)
>
>Assholitis.

You didn't say "asshole." You said "ass."

Geena P.

"What am I doing? I'm quietly JUDGING you."

--Frank T.J. Mackey (Tom Cruise), from Magnolia