RW confusion

Linea Recta

Nov 29, 2007, 10:42:29 AM11/29/07
How come that a logo "RW" is visible on all DVD+R discs? So I'm NOT talking
about rewriteables. Is there a need of more confusion?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

sandy58

Nov 30, 2007, 8:25:57 AM11/30/07

"Read" "Write"??????

Linea Recta

Nov 30, 2007, 3:33:17 PM11/30/07
"sandy58" <Alec...@aol.com> schreef in bericht

I suppose so, although I don't know any media that is NOT intended to be
read...

Gary

Nov 30, 2007, 7:27:57 PM11/30/07
THE SUN NEWSPAPER IS JUST TO LOOK AT NOT READ :-)

doS

Dec 1, 2007, 2:44:05 PM12/1/07
R=Recordable

"Linea Recta" <mccm...@abc.invalid> wrote in message

Rick Merrill

Dec 1, 2007, 3:35:21 PM12/1/07
doS wrote:
> R=Recordable

R=Read Only Memory

doS

Dec 1, 2007, 3:37:48 PM12/1/07
so DVD RW digital versitile disc read only memory writable?

"Rick Merrill" <rick0....@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

Rick Merrill

Dec 1, 2007, 6:42:15 PM12/1/07

DVD-RW == Read/Write
DVD-R == Read only

Both are recordable at least once, if you're lucky.

Ken Maltby

Dec 1, 2007, 7:06:08 PM12/1/07

"Rick Merrill" <rick0....@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

Kind'a missing the point, the question was more to
why is there a "RW" Logo on DVD+R disks and
their packaging.

Personally I think it is basically a Marketing and
historical issue. The Logo was meant to convey that
the disks were compatible with DVD RW Drives.
That they recognized the specifications spelled out by
the industry group that licensed the use of the Logo,
and the technology.

Luck;
Ken

Rick Merrill

Dec 2, 2007, 2:34:09 PM12/2/07

It's the nature of threads: I replied to the entry above, not to the
OP's question.

I do not think it tells anything about 'compatibility' but is just a
markerteer's idea of a branding scheme.

I'd like to see an image of what the OP saw.

Ian Jackson

Dec 2, 2007, 2:52:04 PM12/2/07
In message <_rSdnUlS2vwulc7a...@comcast.com>, Rick Merrill
<rick0....@NOSPAM.gmail.com> writes

I have some 'Imation' brand DVDs, marked 'DVD+R 8x'. They also have the
logo 'RW' and, immediately beneath, DVD+R (again). Confusing?
--
ian

Tarkus

Dec 2, 2007, 2:55:52 PM12/2/07
Rick Merrill wrote:
> DVD-RW == Read/Write
> DVD-R == Read only
>
> Both are recordable at least once, if you're lucky.

If you need luck in this area, you need a new drive.

Tarkus

Dec 2, 2007, 2:58:32 PM12/2/07
Rick Merrill wrote:
> I do not think it tells anything about 'compatibility' but is just a
> markerteer's idea of a branding scheme.
>
> I'd like to see an image of what the OP saw.

Just go anywhere that sells +R discs and you'll see what (s)he saw.

Derek

Dec 2, 2007, 3:09:27 PM12/2/07

> I'd like to see an image of what the OP saw.

It is the logo of the DVD+RW Alliance. http://www.dvdrw.com/
Historical information on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+RW

Rick Merrill

Dec 2, 2007, 4:01:24 PM12/2/07

Good to know!

It appears that more confusion is on the horizon:

"DVD+R/+RW" from the page above

what the heck is the "/" ???

Tarkus

Dec 2, 2007, 4:28:55 PM12/2/07

Shorthand for "and".

Rick Merrill

Dec 2, 2007, 6:47:17 PM12/2/07

would'of been better written as DVD+R/DVD+RW - stupid marketeers...

Tarkus

Dec 2, 2007, 7:12:14 PM12/2/07

Trust me, I don't mean this as an insult, but is English your first
language? I only ask because the meaning looks obvious to me. I mean,
what else could they be meaning? The second "DVD" is obviously implied.

Linea Recta

Dec 3, 2007, 5:50:53 AM12/3/07
"Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht

He. That's one confusing issue less. :-)

Linea Recta

Dec 3, 2007, 5:55:25 AM12/3/07
"Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht

I have a new drive. And it seems luck IS needed using DVD+R DL SS discs.

Tarkus

Dec 3, 2007, 6:17:13 AM12/3/07
Linea Recta wrote:
> "Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht
>> Rick Merrill wrote:
>>> DVD-RW == Read/Write
>>> DVD-R == Read only
>>>
>>> Both are recordable at least once, if you're lucky.
>> If you need luck in this area, you need a new drive.
>
> I have a new drive. And it seems luck IS needed using DVD+R DL SS discs.

Ah, you should have specified DL. ;)

Linea Recta

Dec 3, 2007, 1:00:55 PM12/3/07
"Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht

Actually this reply was meant apart from the DVD+R logo question, but now I
just checked it and... indeed: on the DL discs there also seems to be a RW
logo.

Tarkus

Dec 3, 2007, 9:59:42 PM12/3/07
Linea Recta wrote:
> "Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht
>> Linea Recta wrote:
>>> "Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht

>>> I have a new drive. And it seems luck IS needed using DVD+R DL SS discs.
>> Ah, you should have specified DL. ;)
>
> Actually this reply was meant apart from the DVD+R logo question, but now I
> just checked it and... indeed: on the DL discs there also seems to be a RW
> logo.

You missed the point. ALL + discs have the RW logo. That is, assuming
they're legitimate + discs, paying the royalties and all that. It has
nothing at all to do with read/write. It's a logo, not a description.

Ian Jackson

Dec 3, 2007, 11:17:08 PM12/3/07
In message <13l9gkk...@corp.supernews.com>, Tarkus
<karn...@atlantabraves.net> writes

But surely a rather stupid choice of one!
--
Ian

Tarkus

Dec 4, 2007, 12:10:51 AM12/4/07

Indeed.

Linea Recta

Dec 4, 2007, 6:28:28 AM12/4/07
"Tarkus" <karn...@atlantabraves.net> schreef in bericht

And the fact that this logo has nothing to do with read/write is what I find
confusing. That was my point, which you seemed to have missed.

Ian Jackson

Dec 4, 2007, 7:28:53 AM12/4/07
In message <475539b4$0$244$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>, Linea Recta
<mccm...@abc.invalid> writes
Exactly.
But what DOES the 'RW' logo mean?
--
Ian

Linea Recta

Dec 4, 2007, 2:39:57 PM12/4/07
"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> schreef in bericht

Search me! After all I'm the confused guy. It doesn't seem to mean
'rewriteable', nor 'read/write'! :-)

Rab

Dec 7, 2007, 1:43:16 PM12/7/07

"Gary" <Gary...@spamasmailorder.com> wrote in message
The RW is the logo of the DVD+RW Alliance, who invented DVD+RW and DVD+R.
Unfortunately, they came up with DVD+RW first - and adopted the logo then -
before DVD+R was even thought of.

Hence the confusion now.

Dietmar Haltermann

Dec 17, 2007, 4:00:29 AM12/17/07

"Linea Recta" <mccm...@abc.invalid> wrote in message

2 groups of manufacturers designed their version of recordable DVD.
Just like the 2 groups that created Betamax and VHS.
Find out who comprises the 2 groups and most likely you will find an
explanation for the RW.
But as mentioned above somewhere: Most likely it does Not stand
for rewritable.
Max

Matt

Dec 25, 2007, 8:13:25 AM12/25/07
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:52:04 +0000, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have some 'Imation' brand DVDs, marked 'DVD+R 8x'. They also have the
>logo 'RW' and, immediately beneath, DVD+R (again). Confusing?
>--
>ian

I got scammed the same way when I bought some Memorex DVD+R blanks. It clearly
displays an "RW" logo on the front and back labels. When I went to erase one,
the program stated it couldn't be erased.

I have never bought a blank CD that was labeled "RW" that wasn't erasable and
re-writable. The same labeling standard should apply to DVD's, but clearly
doesn't. It seems to me to be a devious way to get people to pay more,
(re-writables have always cost a bit more) for what they are led to believe are
re-writable DVD's. I would never have bought those DVD's at that price had I
known they weren't re-writable.

I have purchased other DVD's that were the usual "write once" type, and not one
of their packages have the "RW" logo anywhere about them.

Rick Merrill

Jan 13, 2008, 6:24:16 PM1/13/08

I just bought (and happily wrote) a DVD+R with the suspect Logo.

The Logo is Not "RW" but a special symbol that resembles those letters:
http://tinyurl.com/2lms8z

Ian Jackson

Feb 6, 2008, 6:01:34 AM2/6/08
In message <J9SdnX6Z2Zw8ABfa...@comcast.com>, Rick Merrill
<rick0....@NOSPAM.gmail.com> writes
It's like the American 'HD' radio. Although this is described as a
'hybrid digital' (compatible AM in the centre plus digital at the higher
sideband frequencies), I was recently corrected for saying that 'HD'
means 'hybrid digital'. Apparently, it doesn't. It's just the name of
the company who developed it!
--
Ian

Mike S.

Feb 6, 2008, 11:37:52 AM2/6/08

In article <Ljq+nzNO...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk>,

Ibiquity?

Ian Jackson

Jan 17, 2012, 6:01:44 PM1/17/12
In message <fjc480$nn8$1$8302...@news.demon.co.uk>, Rab
<ra...@hotmail.com> writes
But the disks are marked 'DVD+R', and 'RW' logo is shown separately.
Yes, it's a bit deceptive, but you just have to know that these aren't
DVD+RW disks.
--
Ian