DVD ---> TV

Michael Doering II

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
I currently own a Philips PCA532k DVD-ROM drive for my pc. PC specs are:

p2 400mhz
128 meg sdram (pc100)
ati expert98 video card
SB live! sound card
decoder card is Real Magic Hollywoo dPLus DVD/MPEG2 decoder card (quote
from the book)

I am having trouble hooking it up to my TV.

First off, it has an "svideo to composite" (quote) connector. I went to my
local Best Buy and the people there were morons and didnt know what a
composite connector was. So I got an RCA cable (it had what looked like a
male end to the "composite" cord. I'm not sure if this is even the right
cord. Now if it isnt, what cord do I need.

Either way, how do i hook it up to my TV??? The instrctions suck. Thank
you.

--Mike Doering II

Geoff Dillberg

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99

Michael Doering II <ad...@stonepool.com> wrote in message

> I currently own a Philips PCA532k DVD-ROM drive for my pc. PC specs are:
>
> p2 400mhz
> 128 meg sdram (pc100)
> ati expert98 video card
> SB live! sound card
> decoder card is Real Magic Hollywoo dPLus DVD/MPEG2 decoder card (quote
> from the book)
>
> I am having trouble hooking it up to my TV.

What kind of inputs on TV ?
s-video....sort of looks like your ps/2 mouse. not exatly, but kind of.
rca
coax (cable TV)
none of the above, antenna only

> First off, it has an "svideo to composite" (quote) connector. I went to my
> local Best Buy and the people there were morons and didnt know what a
> composite connector was. So I got an RCA cable (it had what looked like a
> male end to the "composite" cord. I'm not sure if this is even the right
> cord. Now if it isnt, what cord do I need.
>
> Either way, how do i hook it up to my TV??? The instrctions suck. Thank
> you.

If your TV has s-video input, use that. Stow that little s-vid ==>
composite converter with the rest of
your 'puter crap. Get yourself an s-video cable long enough to reach from
'puter to TV... viola.

If RCA, use that converter that came w/ H+, and the cable you already
bought.

If coax, use that converter that came w/ H+, the cable you bought, and go
get an RCA to 'F' converter. hmmm lemme see..
new converter should be female RCA, male 'F'

If antenna only, it's a bit trickier. Go find an RF converter. should be
$30us or so. Then get the appropiate goddies to attach it to TV
(e.g. RCA out of H+ ==> RF converter in....RF converter out ==> TV.
You may need a 300ohm transformer to turn your RCA out of converter into
those little horseshoe-looking antenna hookups.

In terms of image quality...
1. RGB, using a separate cable for each three colors. Otherwise known as
'component'
2. S-video one cable carrying one luminance channel and one
chrominance channel. Otherwise known as 'Y / U / V '
3. Composite one cable carrying all 3 color signals.

since you probably don't have RGB inputs on TV, shoot for using the s-video.

> --Mike Doering II
>
> --

Jeez I hope this helps, took too long for me to write,
Geoff

Michael Doering II

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99

Ok, no my TV does not have an s-video connector. And I was just wondering
if that RCA cord I bought is the "composite" cord they were talking about.
It has two male ends (i'm assuming the pointy end is the male end), one
that goes into the converter and the other into plug x. I have been told by
many people that plug x is the video in on my tv, and that all i need to do
is plug the converter into my decoder card, plug the RCA into it, and put
the RCA into the video in, turn to channel 4 and viola I have DVD on my TV.
This is not the case. I turn to channel 4 (and any other channel that i
flip to doesnt work) play the dvd, but no picture, sound, or anytihng. It
doesnt even get fuzzy like its on the wrong channel. I have searched and
searched for DVD software that has a "tv" button thinking its my software
that isnt telling the decoder card "hey man, work damn you!" but I cant
find anything. I understand the basic connections of the TV and the
computer, however to put it nicely:

it no go work good!

--Mike

Pat Beal

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
Michael Doering II <ad...@stonepool.com> wrote:

>Ok, no my TV does not have an s-video connector. And I was just wondering
>if that RCA cord I bought is the "composite" cord they were talking about.
>It has two male ends (i'm assuming the pointy end is the male end), one
>that goes into the converter and the other into plug x. I have been told by
>many people that plug x is the video in on my tv, and that all i need to do
>is plug the converter into my decoder card, plug the RCA into it, and put
>the RCA into the video in, turn to channel 4 and viola I have DVD on my TV.
>This is not the case. I turn to channel 4 (and any other channel that i
>flip to doesnt work) play the dvd, but no picture, sound, or anytihng. It
>doesnt even get fuzzy like its on the wrong channel. I have searched and
>searched for DVD software that has a "tv" button thinking its my software
>that isnt telling the decoder card "hey man, work damn you!" but I cant
>find anything. I understand the basic connections of the TV and the
>computer, however to put it nicely:

2 things.

1. The TV must be set to read the signal from it's composite inputs. Check
your manual on how to do that. Turning it to channel 4 has does not do that.
Channels 3 and 4 are often used to tune into the RF output of a VCR but you
are looking for composite input(RCA), not RF(screw on coax). Often this is
selected with a TV/VCR button on the remote.

2. The DVD Station software for the Hollywood+ should have an icon in the
lower left corner that toggles between TV display and monitor display. If you
get DVD output on your monitor, it is not going to the TV.

Pat

Greg

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
My RCA has to be turned to the input channel (in this case 0) to get signals
from the composite or s-video on the back of the television. See if your TV
manual tells you what your input channel is. Also are you running a line out
from your sound card to the sound line in on your television ? I didn't see
you mention a Y cable from the card to the TV.

> Ok, no my TV does not have an s-video connector. And I was just wondering
> if that RCA cord I bought is the "composite" cord they were talking about.
> It has two male ends (i'm assuming the pointy end is the male end), one
> that goes into the converter and the other into plug x. I have been told
by
> many people that plug x is the video in on my tv, and that all i need to
do
> is plug the converter into my decoder card, plug the RCA into it, and put
> the RCA into the video in, turn to channel 4 and viola I have DVD on my
TV.
> This is not the case. I turn to channel 4 (and any other channel that i
> flip to doesnt work) play the dvd, but no picture, sound, or anytihng. It
> doesnt even get fuzzy like its on the wrong channel. I have searched and
> searched for DVD software that has a "tv" button thinking its my software
> that isnt telling the decoder card "hey man, work damn you!" but I cant
> find anything. I understand the basic connections of the TV and the
> computer, however to put it nicely:

cary charles

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Hope you don't mind me chipping in with a question at this point :)

My DVD player has no RGB option sadly, and instead falls back on 'Composite'
or 'S-Video'. Now, having read this strand, it seems that S-Video is the
best option of the two, but my TV only has Scarts, though one of them can
(via an on-screen menu) be set for S-Video signal.

So, is it worth my getting a cable which is S-Video at one end and Scart at
the other. Would this be better than the composite image I am getting at the
moment?

Thanks for any feedback!

--
Cary :o)

ca...@charlesc.spamless.freeserve.co.uk
(remove spamless. to mail me)

Ola Hellströmer

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
In article <7ups1k$vin$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
ca...@charlesc.spamless.freeserve.co.uk says...

>So, is it worth my getting a cable which is S-Video at one end and Scart at
>the other. Would this be better than the composite image I am getting at the
>moment?

Definately! Do it!
I had the same conditions with my player/TV. When I replaced the SCART-SCART
connection with S-video-SCART, the improvement in picture quality was very much
noticeable. Make sure you get a good cable though!

Oh!, there is one disadvantage, you'll miss the autoswitching to 16:9 when
watching anamorphic material! Maybe someone has a solution to that?

//Ola

--
Please remove NOSPAM when replying by e-mail.

cary charles

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Thanks for that Ola,
I feel much more confident about buying one now. Super!

BFN,
--

Ola Hellströmer <hellstro...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> file://Ola

cary charles

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
Having converted to S-Video, I have to say the picture is vastly improved,
just as Ola said. Well worth doing!

Atlacatl

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
How to do all of this without a decoder card?
My dvd player is great on my computer, but how to I
send the image to my TV?
My video card (Rage 3D LT Pro) doesn't seem to have a s-video thingy...
just the out for the monitor.
I do have a STB PCI TV tuner in the computer where I can
watch TV and this one does have an s-video thingy...could the
dvd signal be redirected?
My dvd knowledge is limited...:(

cary charles <ca...@charlesc.spamless.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

vide...@my-deja.com

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

> decoder card is Real Magic Hollywood PLus DVD/MPEG2 decoder card )

> First off, it has an "svideo to composite" (quote) connector.

Check out the "svideo to composite" adapter at:

http://www.svideotorca.com/videoware/pigtailadapter.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

vija...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2012, 3:43:00 AM11/27/12
RGB or component cables offer HD-quality picture and sound at a smaller price tag than other HD connections, such as HDMI cables. RGB cables break the picture into red, green and blue cables and break the audio signal into red and white cables; therefore, the process of connecting and using RGB cables is similar to using RCA (yellow, red, and white) cables. If you find that your RGB cables are not sending a signal to your TV, take a few simple troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Read more: RGB Cable Won't Work With TV | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7148146_rgb-cable-won_t-work-tv.html#ixzz2DPW2zsCb

On Wednesday, October 20, 1999 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Doering II wrote:

> I currently own a Philips PCA532k DVD-ROM drive for my pc. PC specs are:
>
> p2 400mhz
> 128 meg sdram (pc100)
> ati expert98 video card
> SB live! sound card
> decoder card is Real Magic Hollywoo dPLus DVD/MPEG2 decoder card (quote
> from the book)
>
> I am having trouble hooking it up to my TV.
>
> First off, it has an "svideo to composite" (quote) connector. I went to my
> local Best Buy and the people there were morons and didnt know what a
> composite connector was. So I got an RCA cable (it had what looked like a
> male end to the "composite" cord. I'm not sure if this is even the right
> cord. Now if it isnt, what cord do I need.
>
> Either way, how do i hook it up to my TV??? The instrctions suck. Thank
> you.
>

> --Mike Doering II
>
> --

so can i coneect my pc to old tv happen monitor