Just Want to Burn Individual Songs (Video and Audio) to DVD

toowired

Feb 2, 2004, 1:26:48 PM2/2/04
Yo. Clueless Newbie. 41 yrs. old. Do U Care? Started out recording music
to 8 track tapes, probly long B4 U were born. Tracks switching in middle of
songs major problem, quality just abismal. Then came cassettes - lots of
hiss and listener fatigue - copies degenerated quickly. Digital Audio Tapes
... hmm, Strong, but who could play em? CDs - pretty cool - at first took
DAT tapes to prof studio, they made my mix cds - soon after could make my
own, duplicate for friends quickly and easily - next - MP3s, IPods,
PCs,etc....AUDIO SOLVED 4EVER.

Next, VIDEO: Laser discs for awhile, could "cut and paste" to VHS and S-VHS,
pretty good quality. Early DVDs not copy protected, cut and paste to tape as
well. Neat compilations, acceptable quality - duplication for friends
painstakingly slow or else degeneration...

Philips DVDR 985 - defective OF COURSE - now Philips DVDR 75 - seems ok, so
far...

Sorry for long preamble, now meat ...

Say I have a concert DVD that is copy protected. I want to be able to burn
some or all of the concert to a blank DVD in my Philips PC DVD +RW drive. I
want to then be able to take this new DVD and play it in a normal consumer
DVD player while I use my Philips DVDR 75 machine to copy just the songs I
like to yet another blank DVD that will ultimately contain various song
videos from various other sources. I don't want my DVD recorder to refuse
to record the song(s) due to copy protection. This is all I'm looking to
accomplish.

Sincerely grateful for any and all help I may receive, should you decide to
provide it.

.... huge Stones fan, on my way to making incredible Live Stones DVDs from
multiple world tours ...ThanQ, ThanQ very Mu-uuch ...

Erika

Feb 2, 2004, 3:04:33 PM2/2/04
> Say I have a concert DVD that is copy protected. I want to be able to
burn
> some or all of the concert to a blank DVD in my Philips PC DVD +RW drive.
> want to then be able to take this new DVD and play it in a normal consumer
> DVD player while I use my Philips DVDR 75 machine to copy just the songs I
> like to yet another blank DVD that will ultimately contain various song
> videos from various other sources. I don't want my DVD recorder to refuse
> to record the song(s) due to copy protection. This is all I'm looking to
> accomplish.
>
> Sincerely grateful for any and all help I may receive, should you decide
> provide it.
>
> .... huge Stones fan, on my way to making incredible Live Stones DVDs from
> multiple world tours ...ThanQ, ThanQ very Mu-uuch ...

Awesome, you're as old as my Dad :-)

You can copy all, or parts, of a copy protected DVD. The first step is to
use a program like Smartripper or DVD Decrypter to rip the files to your HD.
Since this is a concert DVD, you might be lucky enough that the DVD was
originally authored so each song is a separate chapter. This way, all toy
need to do it rip the songs individually and pick and choose the ones you
want to burn to your DVD-R. You can then import them straight into your
authoring software.

If it hasn't been authored like that, you would need to rip the whole thing
and either cut out or re-encode the relevant parts using something like
TMPGenc. Cutting preserves the quality 100%, but it's not terribly precise.
Re-Encoding means a slight drop in quality, but is frame-accurate and you
can add fade-in-outs and stuff like that.

Anyway, that was the short answer. There is quite a lot to the 2nd method,
and there are many different ways to go about it, so I think I will leave
you with what is probably the shortest and most used answer in this group...

www.dvdrhelp.com

Here you will find all the guides you will need. Have a look at some of
those to get an understanding of what it is you need to do and how you want
to do it, and I am sure the group here will be more than happy to help you
if you have any specific questions or problems.

toowired

Feb 3, 2004, 7:52:20 AM2/3/04
Erika! Thanks very much for your advice! I think I already have some of
these programs burned to CD from about a year ago, I just never got off my
ass to use them. I guess I was kind of hoping there was the one easy to use
app by now that would make it quick and easy. But now I am willing to do
the work necessary since I have started my digital video library and want to
add to it. I will bet that in the majority of DVDs where I want to cut the
songs they are already in individual chapters so that should be pretty easy.
I know the new Stones 4 DVD set that is out has all kinds of fancy effects
and what not, so that one will probably be more of a challenge. I'll have
to work up to that one! Thanks again for your helpful reply and have a good
one ... jim

"Erika" <s...@m.au> wrote in message

toowired

Feb 5, 2004, 8:56:18 PM2/5/04
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I found DVD Shrink to be extremely
helpful, and the doom guides were great. So now I have DVD+Rs of the just
the complete concert footage contained within Titles.

If you don't mind, I would like to move to the next step. Someone asked why
don't I just do it all on the PC, and that is correct, it is clearly the way
to go.

I now have these individual DVD+Rs composed of Titles (concerts). Within
these Titles are individual Chapters (songs). I want to be able to make one
DVD with say Chapter 7 from Disk 1, Chapters 3 and 12 from Disk 2, etc.
This does not yet appear to be completely straightforward to me.

I get from reading the doom guides that I can rip each disk to the hard
drive, and then mount each disk as a virtual drive, and thereby combine
Titles from each virtual disk onto one DVD, but that will not give me what I
am ultimately after, which is just selected individual Chapters from each
disk, not complete Titles.

I suppose I could use the Start and End Frame tool within DVD Shrink to make
individual virtual disks with just one desired Chapter (song) on each one,
but that seems very cumbersome if my goal is one 2.5 to 3 hour DVD with
20-25 songs on it. That would be a lot of virtual drives to create.

So what I am asking for is advice on which tool(s) to use to author my own
DVD where I can cut individual Chapters from multiple DVD Titles on various
different disks. I have enough room on my hard drive to rip all the
individual DVDs to it before I start cutting out Chapters. The ability to
create a nice menu allowing the viewer to select individual Chapters (songs)
individually for playback would be nice, but not vital.

Thanks again very sincerely for all your help, and I apologize if my
questions seem repetitive or stupid. I've made major progress since my
first post, so your time is not wasted. This is really cool shit and it is
a lot of fun.

"toowired" <toow...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

"toowired" <toow...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

Erika

Feb 5, 2004, 10:56:06 PM2/5/04

SmartRipper and DVDdecrypter can rip individual chapters to your HD. The
ripped files can then be imported into most authoring programs and burned to
a custom made DVD. You might have to demux first, so you get a separate
video(m2v) and audio(ac3) file. VobEdit can do this. Many authoring programs
have build-in menu generators. TMPGenc DVD Author seems to be quite popular,
but I am not sure if it supports AC3 audio. There is a free trial.
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Alan Shepherd

Feb 6, 2004, 1:28:53 AM2/6/04

Only if muxed with the Video file, ie a MPg containing Audio & Video, and
it's fairly easy to join files onto one track separated by chapter points.

toowired

Feb 6, 2004, 7:58:57 AM2/6/04
Yes, now I am having trouble because I am trying to combine tracks with AC3
Dolby 5.1 with AC3 two channel stereo. Is there a tool that supports AC3
better, or alternately, can AC3 5.1 be easily converted to AC3 stereo, or
vice versa?

"Alan Shepherd" <sp...@awshepherd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Erika

Feb 6, 2004, 9:44:24 AM2/6/04
> Yes, now I am having trouble because I am trying to combine tracks with
AC3
> Dolby 5.1 with AC3 two channel stereo. Is there a tool that supports AC3
> better, or alternately, can AC3 5.1 be easily converted to AC3 stereo, or
> vice versa?

BeSweet and HeadAC3he can convert to and from AC3, but you would really be
better off getting some better authoring software, as re-encoding always
means a drop in quality, and you don't really want to lose the 5.1, and
stereo to 5.1 is never that good an idea.

I don't have that much experience with anything other than Scenarist myself,
but it's quite complicated, very expensive, and extremely buggy, so I am not
sure I would recommend that. I think Sonic's ReelDVD has good AC3 support,
but that one isn't cheap either. DVD Lab claims to have a lot of support
many lesser programs lack, so that might be worth a try. That one also has a
30 day trial. Hopefully someone else from the group can give you a better
answer.