Adventures with the ADTH ATSC 3.0 STB

K. B.

Aug 25, 2023, 1:18:13 AM8/25/23
I found out that the ADTH STB needs to be connected to an actual HDMI
input, not an HDMI to A/V converter in order to be set up (I don't know
why).

So far, my ADTH STB has detected the ATSC 3.0 signals and retrieved the
call letters, virtual channel numbers and EPGs but it hasn't provided
the picture/sound of the ATSC 3.0 channels yet.

I did several channel rescans and a factory reset + scan, as of this
post, no picture/sound from ATSC 3.0 signals (all the ATSC 1.0
channels/subchannels come in OK with picture/sound in HDTV or SDTV).

--
Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page

Ant

Aug 25, 2023, 5:17:22 PM8/25/23
You should report this issue to the company. Ask them why.

K. B. <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote:
> I found out that the ADTH STB needs to be connected to an actual HDMI
> input, not an HDMI to A/V converter in order to be set up (I don't know
> why).

> So far, my ADTH STB has detected the ATSC 3.0 signals and retrieved the
> call letters, virtual channel numbers and EPGs but it hasn't provided
> the picture/sound of the ATSC 3.0 channels yet.

> I did several channel rescans and a factory reset + scan, as of this
> post, no picture/sound from ATSC 3.0 signals (all the ATSC 1.0
> channels/subchannels come in OK with picture/sound in HDTV or SDTV).

--
"Simon Peter answered him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.'" --John 6:68. 2 much Zs 4 this quieter wk. 4 this 13 yrs. old tired, itchy, old Redditor ant. :(
| |o o| |

K. B.

Aug 26, 2023, 3:01:28 AM8/26/23
On 8/25/2023 4:17 PM, Ant wrote:
> You should report this issue to the company. Ask them why.

ADTH just started shipping these STBs this week, I'll fiddle with it
some more and then contact ADTH.

ADTH has lowered the price to $90.

K. B.

Aug 30, 2023, 3:53:21 AM8/30/23
2:45AM today (after software update via my WiFi):

KSMO 62-1 (has a padlock symbol before the call letters), got an ATSC
3.0 format decoded picture for ~1 second, then it went into wait mode again.

I'm hopeful I can get more than 1 second of ATSC 3.0 reception. ;)

K. B.

Aug 30, 2023, 4:18:04 AM8/30/23
3:12AM today:

Selected KMBC 9-1 (no padlock symbol), after about a 5 second wait, the
picture and sound appeared! ( now viewing ATSC 3.0 DTV! )

I now have to find out how to receive channels with the padlock symbol

K. B.

Sep 1, 2023, 2:04:59 AM9/1/23
Now receiving in ATSC 3.0:
WDAF 4-1
KMBC 9-1
KCPT 19-1
KCWE 29-1
KMCI 38-1
KSHB 41-1

No reception (padlock symbol):
KCTV 5-1
KSMO 62-1

The ADTH STB currently doesn't letterbox the video for 4:3 TVs, but it
is now working with my HDMI to A/V converter (I hope they add letterbox
support).

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Sep 1, 2023, 8:40:50 AM9/1/23
___________

Being a glutton for punishment working out for ya?

#longliventsc!

K. B.

Sep 1, 2023, 1:49:19 PM9/1/23
On 9/1/2023 7:40 AM, Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity) wrote:

> Being a glutton for punishment working out for ya?
>
> #longliventsc!

:)

Working well - new tech interests me, this ATSC 3.0 STB was only ~$88
and, for some reason, there are 2 RF channels transmitting ATSC 3.0
signals in KC.

Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)

Sep 1, 2023, 3:11:07 PM9/1/23
______

If NTSC wasn't broke, why fix it?

K. B.

Sep 2, 2023, 1:54:15 AM9/2/23
On 9/1/2023 2:11 PM, Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity) wrote:

> If NTSC wasn't broke, why fix it?

<https://www.amazon.com/Defining-Vision-Broadcasters-Government-Revolution/dp/0156005972/>

This book explains the reasons why the transition from NTSC to digital
HDTV happened.

I don't see a need for ATSC 3.0 though.

<https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=21238475&postcount=324>

(my thoughts about the future of content distribution ["TV" and "radio"])

K. B.

Sep 7, 2023, 7:47:46 PM9/7/23
<support.adth.com/en/support/solutions/articles/43000711215-release-notes-and-upcoming-releases>

It's kinda fun playing with ATSC 3.0, it'll be interesting to get the
signal strength display.

The 2 padlocked channels - KCTV and KSMO still can't be tuned in.

TJ

Sep 9, 2023, 10:11:55 AM9/9/23
On 2023-09-01 13:49, K. B. wrote:
> On 9/1/2023 7:40 AM, Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity) wrote:
>
>> Being a glutton for punishment working out for ya?
>>
>> #longliventsc!
>

> :)
>
> Working well - new tech interests me, this ATSC 3.0 STB was only ~$88
> and, for some reason, there are 2 RF channels transmitting ATSC 3.0
> signals in KC.

"New" tech (new to me, anyway) interests me, too. But I scratch that
itch with other than TV. I plan to upgrade the motherboard of my main
desktop computer this fall, skipping ahead 4-5 processor generations
from my current setup. Why do that when my current setup is more than
filling my needs? Because it's fun, that's why!

Another scratch will be the elections in November. I'm a poll site
manager for our county, and the county is replacing our voting machines
with new ones. Why? Because the current machines have exceeded their
life expectancy, and small glitches are developing. Paper jams, too much
sensitivity, that sort of thing. Nothing affecting the election, but
because of 15 years of wear-and-tear too often the voter has to
re-insert the ballot before it is accepted. The new machines are faster,
too.

Another innovation is ballot printing at the site. Before, the county
pre-printed the ballots for each site, resulting in a lot of waste
unless there was a heavy turnout. Now, there will be a laser printer at
each poll site that will print out the voter's ballot after they go
through the sign in process. All very much better than the old, old way
of doing things, with the massive old lever machines.

TJ

K. B.

Sep 9, 2023, 1:32:36 PM9/9/23
I don't know why they put 2 RF/ATSC 3.0 signals OTA here - seems like
overkill - 1 ATSC 3.0 signal could, AFAIK, contain 5 HDTV programs (ABC,
CBS, FOX, PBS, NBC).

These new ATSC 3.0 signals required channel sharing on some the ATSC 1.0
channels, reducing the picture quality on these programs.

TJ

Sep 10, 2023, 7:58:03 AM9/10/23
On 2023-09-01 15:11, Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity) wrote:
> If NTSC wasn't broke, why fix it?

If slave-powered viking ships weren't broke, why invent sailboats?
If sailboats weren't broke, why invent steamboats?
If steamboats weren't broke, why invent diesel power?
If diesel engines weren't broke, why switch large ships to nuclear?

They still worked, but they WERE broke, for one reason or another. Or
maybe they just weren't efficient enough for the needs of the day.

It's called PROGRESS.

TJ

K. B.

Sep 21, 2023, 12:21:12 AM9/21/23
YAY!

The latest software update for the ADTH ATSC 3.0 STB finally allows the
decoding/viewing of KCTV and KSMO (both still with the little padlock
symbol before the call letters in the EPG).

There's also new Signal Strength and Signal Quality indicators (not
entirely visible on my 4:3 CRT TV) - I will try it with my upstairs HDTV
soon.

K. B.

Oct 16, 2023, 4:21:34 PM10/16/23
Got the latest update - can now watch all 8 "sub"channels in the 2 ATSC
3.0 RF channels - still no letterbox mode though (might send a request
for it).