I'd like to ask about a recommendation for a good TV tuner/recorder/player.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 26, 2023, 8:53:33 AM11/26/23
I'd like to ask about a recommendation for a good TV tuner for Digital
TV over the air, in Spain if possible.

If there is a better group for asking, please say.

I have an old Siemens Gigaset M740 AV, circa 2005.

Basically, it had two tuners, could record on a computer on the LAN, or
on an external hard disk on USB. It was capable of recording two
stations while playing another recorded program.

There was an active community that developed alternative firmware. With
that, I had (well, I still have) a web page rich in features.

The thing runs Linux, which is accessible via telnet.

You could transfer the recording to a computer, edit the recording to
remove the lead and trailer portions, or the commercials in the middle.

My country is switching to HD, so my beloved tuner will stop working,
eventually.

I found a page describing another unit from 2010, the Gigaset HD795T.
Out of stock everywhere.

Is there something as capable and modern?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.