Adventures with HDMI

K. B.

Dec 5, 2022, 11:18:46 PM12/5/22
Goal:
HDMI (from Blu-ray player, only has HDMI and digital audio outputs) ->
HDTV (aforementioned Philips LCD TV)
and
RCA L & R audio -> (old) stereo receiver (set up for Hafler/DynaQuad
surround sound)

Tried a passive 1 -> 2 HDMI splitter with both passive [HDMI powered]
and active HDMI -> RCA analog converters, neither worked.

Bought active HDMI splitter:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-4-Port-High-Speed-4K-HDMI-Splitter-For-HDTVs-Monitors-and-Projectors/637558864

Tried my active HDMI -> RCA analog converter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CHBD3RT/

(passive HDMI -> RCA analog converted didn't work)

Works - strangely, the active HDMI -> RCA converter works without being
connected to a power supply.

If (I hope when) an ATSC 3.0 -> ATSC 1.0 STB becomes available (likely
with the same type of outputs as my Blu-ray player), this approach would
be a way to extract the (possibly Dolby Atmos surround sound encoded)
audio for audio systems with only RCA analog L & R inputs.

--
Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page