Don't wast your money going from Agent v7.2 Upgrade to v8?

Boolworm Cowboy

Oct 29, 2014, 3:21:33 PM10/29/14
Don't waste your money going from Agent v7.2 Upgrade to v8. It only caters to those who still send videos, photos, etc. on
USENET. When its much more practical to post your videos on YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, USTREAM.TV, etc... I think that's
the only thing saving USENET, is the yo-yos who still send files the old-fashioned way. Yep, a bunch of perverts who share
X-rated videos because they can't get a live one.

What blows my mind, why don't they purge out the dead USENET groups, and keep the active ones? There're groups that have had
no activity in over 5 years, and they're still listed. This gives people a false impression that USENET is dead, when it's
quite active on specific topics. I've been utilizing Google groups to isolate the active USENET groups, and not waste anymore
time with the thousands of dead groups.

Regards,

Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida

s|b

Oct 29, 2014, 4:09:23 PM10/29/14
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:21:29 -0400, Boolworm Cowboy wrote:

s|b

SnoBrdr

Oct 29, 2014, 5:24:01 PM10/29/14
Google groups? Good luck with that crapola.

Whiskers

Oct 29, 2014, 5:40:44 PM10/29/14
On 2014-10-29, Boolworm Cowboy <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Don't waste your money going from Agent v7.2 Upgrade to v8.

Does it still allow you to set your line-length at something sane, such
as 72 or 75 characters?

> It only
> caters to those who still send videos, photos, etc. on USENET. When
> its much more practical to post your videos on YouTube, Dailymotion,
> Vimeo, USTREAM.TV, etc... I think that's the only thing saving USENET,
> is the yo-yos who still send files the old-fashioned way. Yep, a
> bunch of perverts who share X-rated videos because they can't get a
> live one.

There seems to be quite a lot of activity in the binary groups; enough
to keep the expensive binary news-servers in business. I have no idea
what proportion of that activity is "porn" or "piracy".

> What blows my mind, why don't they purge out the dead USENET groups,
> and keep the active ones?

Who are "they"? The Big Eight Management have a continuous programme of
reviewing activity and removing 'dead' groups from the 'authorised list'
of groups falling within their remit. Whether news-server
administrators bother to take any action is of course up to them;
there's little overhead cost in listing empty groups, after all. Google
Groups of course will not remove their archive of dead groups; they
might (should, sometimes have) made them 'read only' in their interface.

Groups outside the Big Eight hierarchies are even less regulated.

> There're groups that have had no activity in
> over 5 years, and they're still listed. This gives people a false
> impression that USENET is dead, when it's quite active on specific
> topics. I've been utilizing Google groups to isolate the active USENET
> groups, and not waste anymore time with the thousands of dead groups.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida

No need to go anywhere near Google; just use your newsreader to look for
groups on a subject of interest available on your news-server, and
consider the number of articles shown as an initial guide to activity,
then go into the likely groups to see if you like what's there. For
example, on my NSP (Individual.net), a search for *cycling* coughs up

->U 10 rec.sport.unicycling
U25642 uk.rec.cycling
U 20 bc.cycling
U 5 cn.bbs.sport.cycling
U 8024 uk.rec.cycling.moderated

(as displayed by my newsreader, slrn). Two groups stand out as "busy"
(neither of them 'Big Eight', as it happens).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Owen Rees

Oct 29, 2014, 7:29:27 PM10/29/14
On 29 Oct 2014 21:40:42 GMT, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote
in <slrnm52nmq.1...@ID-107770.user.individual.net>:

>Groups outside the Big Eight hierarchies are even less regulated.

Some are less regulated, some regulated differently and possibly more
strictly.

[...]

>No need to go anywhere near Google; just use your newsreader to look for
>groups on a subject of interest available on your news-server, and
>consider the number of articles shown as an initial guide to activity,
>then go into the likely groups to see if you like what's there. For
>example, on my NSP (Individual.net), a search for *cycling* coughs up
>
> ->U 10 rec.sport.unicycling
> U25642 uk.rec.cycling
> U 20 bc.cycling
> U 5 cn.bbs.sport.cycling
> U 8024 uk.rec.cycling.moderated
>
>(as displayed by my newsreader, slrn). Two groups stand out as "busy"
>(neither of them 'Big Eight', as it happens).

The uk.* hierarchy has its own processes and if you have the time to
read through somewhere heading for 3,000 messages you can sample the
debate about creating a new group that is going on in uk.net.news.config

There is also a set of dead groups for which we are in the process to
delete them if that is the will of those who turn up to express an
opinion (discussion also in uk.net.news.config).

There is an official list of groups in uk.* and the relevant control
messages are sent but not all news servers respect them - or the control
messages from the 'Big Eight' management either as far as I can tell.
That makes it hard to really prune the dead groups so that those that
are active are easier to find.

Disclosure: I am a member of the committee that oversees the management
of the uk.* hierarchy but am posting my own opinions in an individual
capacity here.

h...@h-gee.co.uk

Oct 30, 2014, 4:50:20 AM10/30/14

Who are THEY that you think control news groups. I agree but as nobody is
in control you get nothing done.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:21:29 -0400, Boolworm Cowboy <b...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Megalomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
h...@h-gee.co.uk

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

ohy...@nospam.nul

Nov 23, 2014, 1:44:10 AM11/23/14
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:21:29 -0400, Boolworm Cowboy <b...@nospam.com>
wrote:

Sure, go ahead and post on a NetCop Free Speech Censorshp website that
scrubs anything it fears its sponsors won't agree with.

IF you want to have your post not magically vanish, use USENET.

IF you want your Free Speech dumbed down to the level of a script
kiddie running that redlight because they are texting, go YouTube,
etc.