Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

Posting Messages in Threads

0 visningar

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 08:48:392006-09-25
till
I *think I did a post wrong:

In "microsoft.public.outlook.program addins" I posted what I thought was a reply
to a thread "I need a rule to MOVE messages instead of copying them"...

My post posted, but it seems that it is NOT part of the thread, but just sort of
hanging out there by itself.

Is this the case, and if so, what the heck did I do wrong?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

jo

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 09:22:072006-09-25
till

Charles W Billow wrote:

I see your two posts, and see posts to the group going back to August
2005, but cannot see the post you replied to, or any others in the
thread. What is the age of the post you are replying to, and how many
posts do you have in the microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
folder?

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 14:32:182006-09-25
till
Jo:

I just looked... the two were in response to "Pete's" post of August 28th...

Chuck

jo

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 15:17:592006-09-25
till

Charles W Billow wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:22:07 GMT, jo <ki...@lineone.net> wrote:
>

>>Charles W Billow wrote:
>>
>>>I *think I did a post wrong:
>>>
>>>In "microsoft.public.outlook.program addins" I posted what I thought was a reply
>>>to a thread "I need a rule to MOVE messages instead of copying them"...
>>>
>>>My post posted, but it seems that it is NOT part of the thread, but just sort of
>>>hanging out there by itself.
>>>
>>>Is this the case, and if so, what the heck did I do wrong?
>>
>>I see your two posts, and see posts to the group going back to August
>>2005, but cannot see the post you replied to, or any others in the
>>thread. What is the age of the post you are replying to, and how many
>>posts do you have in the microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
>>folder?

>I just looked... the two were in response to "Pete's" post of August 28th...

Ah. Not 'Pete' - 'Peter'. You replied to a message posted August 28th,
2003; to two messages actually. I assume your second msg was an
attempt to see why the first had not threaded.

My guess is that you dredged the message out of an archive folder,
replied to it, and then expect to see the thread in an active folder.

It is possible that you have all messages in one folder and are
hitting a hash collision. As I said: how many messages do you have in
the folder? If lots, it would be worth moving some to a storeage
folder.

I assume you have threading enabled for the group? It might be worth
unticking the threading options at tools / options / display / message
list pane. (hopefully this is the same in A4 as A3)

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 15:37:422006-09-25
till
Jo:

I need to check some settings it seems...

My guess is that you dredged the message out of an archive folder,
replied to it, and then expect to see the thread in an active folder.
<<

THAT could very well be...

I'll try to look at some of my settings...

Is there any written docs on Agent?

Thanks for your help...

Regards,
Chuck

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 16:01:382006-09-25
till
Jo:

I just was checking through some of my settings, and:

It is possible that you have all messages in one folder and are
hitting a hash collision. As I said: how many messages do you have in
the folder? If lots, it would be worth moving some to a storeage
folder.
<<

The all come into the particular newsgroup folder in question. In Outlook, I
use rules to file upon receipt. Are/is there any such thing(s) in Agent? Or is
it manual moving and storing?

Also, where is it determined when a message goes to an archive folder? I
haven't set anything as yet. And if they ID come from an archive folder, how?
'Cause once they're in archive, how come I have direct access to them?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

jo

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 16:43:022006-09-25
till

Charles W Billow wrote:

>Is there any written docs on Agent?

The Help file...

And the Forte site still has an Agent manual available for download
somewhere or other

jo

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 17:01:022006-09-25
till

Charles W Billow wrote:

>>It is possible that you have all messages in one folder and are
>>hitting a hash collision. As I said: how many messages do you have in
>>the folder? If lots, it would be worth moving some to a storeage
>>folder.
>
>The all come into the particular newsgroup folder in question.

Sure. But how many messages are there? In a year you would have about
2,600 headers. 3 years, maybe 10,000. I'm not sure when/if hash
collisions start to become, er, obligatory but you really should
provide a number.

>In Outlook, I
>use rules to file upon receipt. Are/is there any such thing(s) in Agent? Or is
>it manual moving and storing?

I think it is manual

>Also, where is it determined when a message goes to an archive folder? I
>haven't set anything as yet. And if they ID come from an archive folder, how?
>'Cause once they're in archive, how come I have direct access to them?

So you probably have all messages in the same folder. Which begs the
question as to why you replied to a 3 year old post where the OP had
already specified that his question had been answered.
Have you just done a Get All in APN/Supernews and find they have over
3 yrs retention, and are working through the posts in order, replying
where you see fit? :-)

If you reply, could you simply hit the R key and move the cursor to
the bottom of the post before beginning typing - that way, we see
continuity of discussion and proper quote markings. It is the
convention in this group.

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 17:26:552006-09-25
till

Jo:

I guess "my slip is showing"...

As of this moment, I have all messages for each folder in said folder, so yes,
you're right, I'm undoubtedly reaching overload.

And yes, you are again right, I wasn't paying enough attention as I stumbled
along learning (trying to) Agent, and was intrigued by a topic that had in fact
been a major issue with me...

AAMOF, I better get my screening tighter; I've picked up over 46,000 headers
just since install 3 days ago. Overwhelmed is a good word.

And I appreciate that my floundering is disjointed, which is why I asked about
reference material.

BTW, I've seen a plethora of discussions over time as the best use of quoting,
and I had always been of the opinion that the "new" ought to be first, but I can
change, I promise.

Regards,
Chuck Billow

jo

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 17:57:572006-09-25
till

Charles W Billow wrote:

>AAMOF, I better get my screening tighter; I've picked up over 46,000 headers
>just since install 3 days ago. Overwhelmed is a good word.

Excellent. Hash collisions it is, then.
Create a new folder called, eg: foldername_archive
Do a date sort on the group and manaully move about 30,000 headers to
the new folder - easy enough using 'click' on post 1; 'shift click' on
post 30,000. Then drag and drop.

>And I appreciate that my floundering is disjointed, which is why I asked about
>reference material.

No worries

>BTW, I've seen a plethora of discussions over time as the best use of quoting,
>and I had always been of the opinion that the "new" ought to be first, but I can
>change, I promise.

This stuff tends to be group specific. A particular problem with your
posts was that you were top posting with rubbish quoting. And a top
poster trying to have a discussion with a bottom poster leads to its
own particular nightmare.

But. Hopefully the problem is sorted now, and you know the posting
convention for this group.

One question though: is it supernews, or APN, or who? that is giving
you 46,000 headers for microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins? And
for what year is the earliest header?
How did you get 46,000 headers for this group?

Charles W Billow

oläst,
25 sep. 2006 18:16:182006-09-25
till

Jo:

It wasn't this group, (130 messages) it was/is microsoft.public.outlook; and
it's APN... I haven't gotten to supernews yet.

I dunno how I got the 46,000 posts, I just installed Agent, set up the server,
selected the group as one, and downloaded messages... no criteria used.

Regards,
Chuck

Christa

oläst,
26 sep. 2006 00:43:242006-09-26
till
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:16:18 -0700 tikte dan wel citeerde Charles W
Billow:

>It wasn't this group, (130 messages) it was/is microsoft.public.outlook; and
>it's APN... I haven't gotten to supernews yet.
>
>I dunno how I got the 46,000 posts, I just installed Agent, set up the server,
>selected the group as one, and downloaded messages... no criteria used.

Are you sure you need to read all those 46,000 posts? I would take the
last month or so.

--
Christa

Don Kirkman

oläst,
26 sep. 2006 14:51:412006-09-26
till
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Charles W Billow wrote in article
<92lgh29rcvn9hf5ul...@4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:57:57 GMT, jo <ki...@lineone.net> wrote:

[Re some antique messages]

>>One question though: is it supernews, or APN, or who? that is giving
>>you 46,000 headers for microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins? And
>>for what year is the earliest header?
>>How did you get 46,000 headers for this group?

>It wasn't this group, (130 messages) it was/is microsoft.public.outlook; and

>it's APN... I haven't gotten to supernews yet.

There's no rush to get to supernews, probably, since APN is a supernews
reseller. The primary difference, if there is one, is how long messages
are retained at the two service providers. For text, I think APN holds
them for a few years; I don't know about supernews.

>I dunno how I got the 46,000 posts, I just installed Agent, set up the server,
>selected the group as one, and downloaded messages... no criteria used.

The first run of a new installation/upgrade can bring down a lot of
stuff; from there on things should settle down.
--
Don Kirkman

0 nya meddelanden