Puzzling display

Terry Pinnell

Feb 8, 2014, 12:01:01 PM2/8/14
Hope this is self-explanatory:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Agent-SubjectPuzzle.jpg

FWIW, the communication is with the same email address that featured
in my recent post 'No trace after a send', but that may be just
coincidence.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Ralph Fox

Feb 8, 2014, 3:23:46 PM2/8/14
On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 17:01:01 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Hope this is self-explanatory:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Agent-SubjectPuzzle.jpg

The JPEG image has insufficient information to tell.
Here are two possibilities:

A. Maybe someone has started a reply and then changed the subject.
It does happen.

Some people even start a reply and then change the subject and
body to make them look like a new message. They think this is
the same as starting a new post. The full headers will still
show it as a reply (Message-ID, References, and In-Reply-To).

B. It might be a hash collision between message IDs or between
subject lines.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!topicsearchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/%22hash$20collision%22

Actual information required to tell would include the following.

1. Your settings for the following three Agent settings:

1.1 [ ] Enable threading by subject
1.2 [ ] Start a new thread when a follow-up subject changes
1.3 Reply prefixes: [________________]

In Agent 4.2, these settings are at
"Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message List Pane"

2. The actual Message-ID, References , and In-Reply-To headers
from these messages.
This is needed to check for
* Whether the message was started as a reply;
* Whether there is a hash collisions between message IDs.

3. The exact actual subject line from these messages.
This is needed to check for
* hash collisions between subject lines

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Terry Pinnell

Feb 12, 2014, 2:47:01 AM2/12/14
Thanks Ralph.

Here are my settings from Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message List
Pane:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Agent-SubjectPuzzle-2.jpg

I won't attach all the header data, mainly because I now suspect you
won't need it, but also because of privacy.

Instead, here's a summary. This is correspondence with an old school
friend. Predictably, the original subject heading quickly became
inappropriate and I've been changing it.

Summary
-------

To: ME @Pipex
Subject: house photos
(His choice of subject.)
From: HIM @ aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:18:33 -0500 (EST)

From: ME @Pipex
To: HIM @ aol.com
Subject: Your RER order has been despatched
(I changed the subject.)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:48:43 +0000

To: ME @Pipex
Subject: Re: Your RER order has been despatched
(He left subject unchanged.)
From: HIM @ aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 08:39:16 -0500 (EST)

From: ME @Pipex
To: HIM @ aol.com
Subject: More ramblings from UK
(I changed it again.)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 16:40:23 +0000

To: ME @Pipex
Subject: Re: More ramblings from UK
(Latest reply.)
From: HIM @ aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:46:02 -0500 (EST)

I'm about to reply to that last one.

What's the usual way of handling these conversations, Ralph? Can I now
simply change that setting 'Start a new thread when a follow-up
subject changes'?

Ralph Fox

Feb 12, 2014, 3:50:39 AM2/12/14
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:47:01 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> What's the usual way of handling these conversations, Ralph? Can I now
> simply change that setting 'Start a new thread when a follow-up
> subject changes'?

Ticking the setting "Start a new thread when a follow-up subject
changes" will not change what the other fellow or fellows see.
It will only change what you yourself see.

If you want the other fellow(s) to also see a new thread, then
use the toolbar button "New Email Message" or the menu
"Action >> New Email Message".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Terry Pinnell

Feb 13, 2014, 5:34:06 AM2/13/14
Thanks Ralph. Although I then have to copy/paste (and identify any
quotes needed) to provide continuity to the previous 'conversation',
it's plainly the best option. Otherwise there will be difficulty
identifying topics discussed months or years after the first contact.

Ralph Fox

Feb 13, 2014, 2:46:16 PM2/13/14
You can keep the quotes by using "Action >> Forward Message".

But then you have to re-enter the recipient. You can do that
quickly using the button "Insert Header from Original Message"
(Ctrl+H, menu "Insert >> Header from Original Message").

--
Kind regards
Ralph