Where did my post go. Is version 6 zero zero good enough?

Micky

Oct 20, 2015, 12:58:21 AM10/20/15

Where did my post go. Is version 6 zero zero good enough?

Perhaps I should work on this problem longer, but I want to post here
before the problem goes away.

I posted in alt.windows7.general a new thread entitled
How do I switch to the USB speakers?

Later I retrieved new headers and there is was. I got the body and
replied to my own post with more information.

Both posts show in my Sent folder of version 6, at 10:36PM EDT on the
19th and 12:33AM EDT on the 20th.

But when I look at alt.windows7.general , in threaded mode, neither
are there. The filter area says "All messages". When I look in date
order, last post at the bottom, the second one is there but not the
first!! Okay, even in threaded mode, the second one is there but it
is hiding in a different thread, "Is Godmode useful..." because the
threading got mixed up I guess, because the first of my two posts is
missing.

I looked in the Junk and Trash folders and it wasn't there. Where did
it go?

This ng is not too active and things should be more or less as they
are now, if anyone wants to look.

This is version 6.00. Should I have gotten a later version of 6?

Ralph Fox

Oct 20, 2015, 3:34:00 AM10/20/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:58:18 -0400, Micky wrote:

> Where did my post go. Is version 6 zero zero good enough?
>
> Perhaps I should work on this problem longer, but I want to post here
> before the problem goes away.
>
> I posted in alt.windows7.general a new thread entitled
> How do I switch to the USB speakers?
>
> Later I retrieved new headers and there is was. I got the body and
> replied to my own post with more information.

The references header of your reply is this:

The references header says you replied to a message from Paul in
Houston TX posted in the thread "Is GodMode useful? Harmful?"

The subject and body of your reply in the thread "How do I
switch to the USB speakers?".

What it looks like has happened is this

#1. You started a reply to message news:3g9b2bd1n5trfk742...@4ax.com
from yourself in the thread "How do I switch to the USB speakers?".

#2. You started another reply to message news:n042s4$uuu$2...@dont-email.me
from Paul in the thread "Is GodMode useful? Harmful?".

#3. You copied the subject and body from reply #1 to reply #2,
replacing the previous subject and body.

#4. You sent reply #2 to the news server, not reply #1.

#5. The references header (which determines threading) is from #2,
so that is where the message is threaded.

> Both posts show in my Sent folder of version 6, at 10:36PM EDT on the
> 19th and 12:33AM EDT on the 20th.
>
> But when I look at alt.windows7.general , in threaded mode, neither
> are there. The filter area says "All messages". When I look in date
> order, last post at the bottom, the second one is there but not the
> first!!

I see the first post. Try double-clicking this link to get it:

> Okay, even in threaded mode, the second one is there but it
> is hiding in a different thread, "Is Godmode useful..." because the
> threading got mixed up I guess, because the first of my two posts is
> missing.

Even though the first post is not missing for me, I see the second one
in the wrong thread.

Note to other readers -- this case is NOT a hash collision problem.

> I looked in the Junk and Trash folders and it wasn't there. Where did
> it go?

Try sampling the latest 30 headers in the group
Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers

> This ng is not too active and things should be more or less as they
> are now, if anyone wants to look.

I have had a look, thanks.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Micky

Oct 20, 2015, 10:15:18 PM10/20/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:34:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:58:18 -0400, Micky wrote:
>
>> Where did my post go. Is version 6 zero zero good enough?
>>
>> Perhaps I should work on this problem longer, but I want to post here
>> before the problem goes away.
>>
>> I posted in alt.windows7.general a new thread entitled
>> How do I switch to the USB speakers?
>>
>> Later I retrieved new headers and there is was. I got the body and
>> replied to my own post with more information.

Thanks again for your attention, Ralph.

I think it's worth reading this whole thing before starting to answer.
There are facts at the end, if not explanations.

>The references header of your reply is this:

>The references header says you replied to a message from Paul in
>Houston TX posted in the thread "Is GodMode useful? Harmful?"

That's true, in a way. When I found that post, in the toc, it said
the thread was "Is GodMode useful? Harmful?" but in my reader, in
the toc, it said the author of that was Paul in Houston.

Yet, when I displayed the post, these were its headers.
Subject: How do I switch to the USB speakers?
From: Micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:36:59 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Message ID: 3g9b2bd1n5trfk742...@4ax.com

So I'm thinking something got fouled up in my .toc. ??

Wanting to verify that, I went to groups.google to see what the thread
looked like. I had forgotten that gr.go doesn't seem to know
anything about alt.windows7.general. Is there a way to tell them? (I
would think they would refresh their ng list once in a while just as I
do!)

But if you can find the message id just above, you can tell me if was
posted by Micky, me, or by Paul, like the toc says to me. It's in
one of the two threads, How do I switch to the USB speakers?
or Is GodMode useful? Harmful?

and the author will be either me (Micky), or Paul in Houston, TX

>The subject and body of your reply in the thread "How do I
>switch to the USB speakers?".
>

>What it looks like has happened is this
>
> #1. You started a reply to message news:3g9b2bd1n5trfk742...@4ax.com

This is my post, but clicking on the link above just takes me to a
line in my Sent box, it doesn't take me to anything in the windows7
newsgroup. When I have time, I''ll look there.

> from yourself in the thread "How do I switch to the USB speakers?".
>
> #2. You started another reply to message news:n042s4$uuu$2...@dont-email.me
> from Paul in the thread "Is GodMode useful? Harmful?".

But I didn't do that. I hadn't even retrieved that post, the one by
by Paul after which it threads, until just now.

> #3. You copied the subject and body from reply #1 to reply #2,
> replacing the previous subject and body.

Nope.

> #4. You sent reply #2 to the news server, not reply #1.

Nope.

> #5. The references header (which determines threading) is from #2,
> so that is where the message is threaded.

All you suggest makes sense, except it's not what I did. Something
must have gone wrong in my own computer, sorting new posts. Is that
possible?

>> Both posts show in my Sent folder of version 6, at 10:36PM EDT on the
>> 19th and 12:33AM EDT on the 20th.
>>
>> But when I look at alt.windows7.general , in threaded mode, neither
>> are there. The filter area says "All messages". When I look in date
>> order, last post at the bottom, the second one is there but not the
>> first!!
>
>I see the first post. Try double-clicking this link to get it:

I did that above. And as I said I would, I looked in the ng, in my
reade. Didnt' find it in the three posts that have my name on them,
but with cntl-G, I found it. One of two hits in cntl-G

From: Micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:36:59 -0400
Lines 36
But the TOC says it's Paul's.

Another problem is that this post sorts without any other posts in its
thread, and it sorts at the bottom of the list, even though I'm
sorting by thread, oldest thread at the top.

Just above it is a thread with +10 posts called
Conputer window shows false drives graphical size - drives.jpg (0/1)
and the first date in that thread is 10/17 at 1:48PM EDT, even though
there are other threads right above it that start 10/20/15

I have 13 ng's with posts in them, and this is one of two where not
everything is in start-of-thread-date order, even though it's sorted
oldest thread first. Actually, when I resort it newest thread first,
with all the threads collapsed, I can see all the threads above the
bottom two resort in the opposite order, and the bottom two also
resort in the opposite order, but they are still both at the bottom,
below all the other threads. Have you seen this happen before?

In this very ng, agent, the same is true except there are 5 threads at
the bottom that sort separately. They stay in a group of 5 threads at
the bottom, and change order when the other threads get their order
changed.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the threads at the
bottom which sort separately have all their bodies retrieved, and all
read, all black, none red?

>> Okay, even in threaded mode, the second one is there but it
>> is hiding in a different thread, "Is Godmode useful..." because the
>> threading got mixed up I guess, because the first of my two posts is
>> missing.
>
>Even though the first post is not missing for me, I see the second one
>in the wrong thread.
>
>Note to other readers -- this case is NOT a hash collision problem.
>

>> I looked in the Junk and Trash folders and it wasn't there. Where did
>> it go?
>
>Try sampling the latest 30 headers in the group
> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers

Time has past so 30 didn't do it, but 100 made a change. And it made
my two posts about switching to USB speakers sort together, but the
first one was, in the TOC, still attributed to Paul of Houston. And
that one post still had, in the toc but not the post itself, the wrong
thread name, about Godmode, making it appear like there were two
threads with the same name. Mine was one thread earlier. I'd
forgotten that because it had been showing further down.

I think this resampling settles it My post has in my computer but
not yours (until I hear back from you) the wrong toc information . But
merely interchanging the text would not have been enough to cause
this.

Thanks again for all your help.

>> This ng is not too active and things should be more or less as they
>> are now, if anyone wants to look.
>
>I have had a look, thanks.
>
>> This is version 6.00. Should I have gotten a later version of 6?

I see that there is no later version of 6.

Micky

Oct 20, 2015, 10:26:27 PM10/20/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:15:11 -0400, Micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>>Try sampling the latest 30 headers in the group
>> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
>
>Time has past so 30 didn't do it, but 100 made a change. And it made
>my two posts about switching to USB speakers sort together, but the
>first one was, in the TOC, still attributed to Paul of Houston. And
>that one post still had, in the toc but not the post itself, the wrong
>thread name, about Godmode, making it appear like there were two
>threads with the same name. Mine was one thread earlier. I'd
>forgotten that because it had been showing further down.

OTOH, that thread with 11 posts is still at the bottom, out of order,
and I re-retrieved all the headers in this ng, only about 5000, and
that didnt' change the bad sorting of the 5 threads I mentioned.

However thread order is a secondary question and I was most interested
in the subject line. Where did my post go? And we found it!!!

Micky

Oct 20, 2015, 10:28:32 PM10/20/15
wrote:

>And
>that one post still had, in the toc but not the post itself, the wrong
>thread name, about Godmode, making it appear like there were two
>threads with the same name. Mine was one thread earlier.

Actually, mine was still one thread older. Something, not me!, made
it change from oldest thread first to oldest thread last.

Ralph Fox

Oct 21, 2015, 2:49:13 AM10/21/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:15:11 -0400, Micky wrote:

> Wanting to verify that, I went to groups.google to see what the thread
> looked like. I had forgotten that gr.go doesn't seem to know
> anything about alt.windows7.general. Is there a way to tell them? (I
> would think they would refresh their ng list once in a while just as I
> do!)
>
> But if you can find the message id just above, you can tell me if was
> posted by Micky, me, or by Paul, like the toc says to me. It's in
> one of the two threads, How do I switch to the USB speakers?
> or Is GodMode useful? Harmful?
>
> and the author will be either me (Micky), or Paul in Houston, TX

Even if Google Groups doesn't carry alt.windows7.general,
Narkive does.

http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com/
http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com/Zg0JRKyK/is-godmode-useful-harmful

FYI Google Groups is not the only web mirror of Usenet.

There is no central list of alt.* newsgroups to refresh from.
The alt.* hierarchy is not centrally managed.
Each news server has its own different list of alt.* groups.

When you refresh your list of newsgroups, you refresh from
your news server. If you used a different news server you
would get a different list of alt.* newsgroups.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Micky

Oct 21, 2015, 4:03:46 AM10/21/15
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:49:22 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:15:11 -0400, Micky wrote:
>
>> Wanting to verify that, I went to groups.google to see what the thread
>> looked like. I had forgotten that gr.go doesn't seem to know
>> anything about alt.windows7.general. Is there a way to tell them? (I
>> would think they would refresh their ng list once in a while just as I
>> do!)
>>
>> But if you can find the message id just above, you can tell me if was
>> posted by Micky, me, or by Paul, like the toc says to me. It's in
>> one of the two threads, How do I switch to the USB speakers?
>> or Is GodMode useful? Harmful?
>>
>> and the author will be either me (Micky), or Paul in Houston, TX
>

>Even if Google Groups doesn't carry alt.windows7.general,
>Narkive does.
>
> http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com/
> http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com/Zg0JRKyK/is-godmode-useful-harmful
>
>FYI Google Groups is not the only web mirror of Usenet.

I had naively thought that gg subscribed to a lot of newservers, and
thus had all the groups.

>There is no central list of alt.* newsgroups to refresh from.
>The alt.* hierarchy is not centrally managed.
>Each news server has its own different list of alt.* groups.
>
>When you refresh your list of newsgroups, you refresh from
>your news server. If you used a different news server you
>would get a different list of alt.* newsgroups.

Good to know. Thanks, and thanks for all your help.