Old post

ho...@hope.com

Jul 23, 2022, 4:42:08 AM7/23/22
Hi All

How/if can I do this?

I went and got new post from this group

Say the subject was called Mary

I read it then went and got more post which then DELETED subject "MARY"

How /if can I get agent to get that post again?

Hope I have explained my self to what I want

Regards

Dumb Blond

https://www.avg.com

Charlie Roberts

Jul 23, 2022, 3:43:25 PM7/23/22
On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:38:16 +0100, ho...@hope.com wrote:

>Hi All
>

>How/if can I do this?
>
>I went and got new post from this group
>
>Say the subject was called Mary
>
>I read it then went and got more post which then DELETED subject "MARY"
>
>How /if can I get agent to get that post again?
>
>Hope I have explained my self to what I want
>
>Regards
>
>Dumb Blond

How old was the post and how difficult was it to
get it in the first place?

If that was not hard, you *could* do this, though
it is not the smartest thing to do.

Right click on the group
and then choose "Sample Recent Headers". Choose
a nice big number like 500,000 and then ... sit and
wait till the messages are retrieved from the
server. If it is not a high volume group and MARY
is not too old, she will be back again. Actually, if
you have the patience you can do this again
and again and get older and older posts.

Now, lock all the posts you want to keep before
you do anything. Otherwise, as the other poster
said, you run the risk of MARY being purged.

Ralph Fox

Jul 23, 2022, 4:26:07 PM7/23/22
On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:38:16 +0100, ho...@hope.com wrote:

> Hi All
>

> How/if can I do this?
>
> I went and got new post from this group
>
> Say the subject was called Mary
>
> I read it then went and got more post which then DELETED subject "MARY"
>
> How /if can I get agent to get that post again?
>
> Hope I have explained my self to what I want
>
> Regards
>
> Dumb Blond

What to do depends on whether that missing new post has been hidden by
some thing or other, or whether the missing new post is actually
deleted.

I presume the missing new post is a recent post, not a post from
months or years ago.

A. If the missing new post is actually deleted, not hidden:

A.1 Select the group
A.2 Use "Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers",
A.3 Choose the option "Retrieve the most recent messages, up to the specified number"
A.4 Enter a number of headers to get. E.g. if the missing new post was in the
most recent 10 posts, enter 10.
A.5 Put a check-mark in "Update record of headers that have been retrieved"
A.6 Click "OK"

Agent will download as many recent headers as you entered in A.4
above.

If the missing new post does not show up after this, try a larger
number in A.4. If that still does not work, next try 'B' below.

B. If the missing new post is hidden, either by the hash collision
problem, or by the current view:

B.1 Select the group
B.2 Set the sort order to turn OFF threading and to show the
most recent posts at the top.
"View >> Sort Messages By >> Date >> Newest message First"
B.3 Set the view to all messages
"View >> All Messages"

Turning off threading (B.2) will un-hide posts hidden by the hash
collision problem.
Setting the view to all messages (B.3) will un-hide posts hidden
by the current view.
Doing both B.2 and B.3 together will un-hide posts which can be
hidden by either one or both of these.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝐴𝑔𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑈𝑛𝑖𝑐𝑜𝑑𝑒 𝑇𝑒𝑠𝑡
𝔸𝕘𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕌𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕠𝕕𝕖 𝕋𝕖𝕤𝕥
𝒜ℊℯ𝓃𝓉 𝒰𝓃𝒾𝒸ℴ𝒹ℯ 𝒯ℯ𝓈𝓉
𝔄𝔤𝔢𝔫𝔱 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔠𝔬𝔡𝔢 𝔗𝔢𝔰𝔱

ho...@hope.com

Jul 24, 2022, 9:08:17 AM7/24/22

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 08:26:01 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>What to do depends on whether that missing new post has been hidden by
>some thing or other, or whether the missing new post is actually
>deleted.
>
>I presume the missing new post is a recent post, not a post from
>months or years ago.

It was the one about
9/7/22
https urls no longer link etc
=========================

> A. If the missing new post is actually deleted, not hidden:
>
> A.1 Select the group
> A.2 Use "Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers",
> A.3 Choose the option "Retrieve the most recent messages, up to the specified number"
> A.4 Enter a number of headers to get. E.g. if the missing new post was in the
> most recent 10 posts, enter 10.
> A.5 Put a check-mark in "Update record of headers that have been retrieved"
> A.6 Click "OK"
>
> Agent will download as many recent headers as you entered in A.4
> above.

I did the above and set it to 10 it got the ten but not what I wanted

So I put 20 BUT it just keeps sitting there then times out

=============================

> If the missing new post does not show up after this, try a larger
> number in A.4. If that still does not work, next try 'B' below.
>

> B. If the missing new post is hidden, either by the hash collision
> problem, or by the current view:
>
> B.1 Select the group
> B.2 Set the sort order to turn OFF threading and to show the
> most recent posts at the top.
> "View >> Sort Messages By >> Date >> Newest message First"
> B.3 Set the view to all messages
> "View >> All Messages"
>

> Turning off threading (B.2) will un-hide posts hidden by the hash
> collision problem.
> Setting the view to all messages (B.3) will un-hide posts hidden
> by the current view.
> Doing both B.2 and B.3 together will un-hide posts which can be
> hidden by either one or both of these.

Still nothing even after the above

Kind Regards

Dumb blond

s|b

Jul 24, 2022, 10:53:32 AM7/24/22
On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:38:16 +0100, ho...@hope.com wrote:

> --
> https://www.avg.com

Somewhere in your settings, you can probably turn this spam off. Please
do.

--
s|b

s|b

Jul 24, 2022, 10:55:34 AM7/24/22
On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:43:22 -0400, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> --

Please turn this off. Here is how:
<https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-email-signature/#pc>

--
s|b

Ken Blake

Jul 24, 2022, 11:24:11 AM7/24/22
Yes, you can. Please do so. Besides its being spam, there are two
other reasons:

1. It's not an e-mail message.

2. Nobody on a newsgroup wants to know that (and most people receiving
an e-mail message also don't).

It just clutters up your message and makes it slightly longer
needlessly.

Although you can turn it off, AVG's appending it to a message as the
default is one of the reasons I would never choose to use AVG. AVG has
turned *me* off.

Charlie Roberts

Jul 24, 2022, 7:18:40 PM7/24/22
On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:53:32 +0200, "s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

Jawhol Oberst.

Ralph Fox

Jul 26, 2022, 3:03:19 AM7/26/22
On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:04:27 +0100, ho...@hope.com wrote:

> I did the above and set it to 10 it got the ten but not what I wanted
>
> So I put 20 BUT it just keeps sitting there then times out

This is not normal. There is something messing with Agent's Internet
connection. Maybe your AntiVirus, maybe your firewall, maybe your
data cap, maybe something else.

The Task Log window might or might not give a clue where it is hanging,
provided:
* You first need to make the AGENT.INI change to VerboseLog
which I described in a previous message.
* You must open the Task Log window BEFORE you try with 10 or 20.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

On ælcere ea swa wyrse fordes, swa betere fisces.

s|b

Jul 26, 2022, 8:17:00 AM7/26/22
On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:18:37 -0400, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> >Somewhere in your settings, you can probably turn this spam off. Please
> >do.

> Jawhol Oberst.

I resent that.

1. Godwin's Law.
2. I'm pretty certain those guys didn't say 'bitte' (please).

--
s|b

pyotr filipivich

Jul 26, 2022, 10:57:07 AM7/26/22
ho...@hope.com on Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:38:16 +0100 typed in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>Hi All
>

>How/if can I do this?
>
>I went and got new post from this group
>
>Say the subject was called Mary
>
>I read it then went and got more post which then DELETED subject "MARY"
>
>How /if can I get agent to get that post again?

You might want to check your settings for when and what gets
purged.

To get back a now deleted post, you may have to manually get the
header(s).
Action --> Get Headers --> Sample Headers
(or Get All Headers. Can be time consuming depending on
retention, detention, declension, and the phase of the moon...)

>Hope I have explained my self to what I want

I hope my response is to what it was you were actually asking
about

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

The Horny Goat

Feb 19, 2023, 10:18:07 PM2/19/23
Good points - and just because only two people have spoken up on this
point doesn't mean they're the only ones annoyed