Re: IPV6 and Agent.

Ralph Fox

Jul 13, 2022, 2:12:28 AM7/13/22
On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 18:56:13 -0500, Agent86 wrote:

> Agent does not seem to work with IPV6, it will be a sad day for a lot
> of programs when they finally pull the plug on IPV4,
>
> Agent86

The IPv6 specification was first published in December 1995. It is
now 26.6 years later, and the plug has not yet been pulled on IPv4.

Agent will stop working in another 15.5 years (on 19 January 2038),
whether or not they pull the plug on IPv4.

So the issue becomes, will they or won't they pull the plug on IPv4
within the next 15.5 years. If they pull the plug more than 15.5
years from now, it is of little consequence to Agent.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ffrendles ys þe dede, quoþ Hendyng.

gfre...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2022, 2:26:58 AM7/13/22
On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:12:21 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>Agent will stop working in another 15.5 years (on 19 January 2038),

I would have been 92. Probably still running v 1.91 ;-)

Martin Harran

Jul 13, 2022, 3:19:40 AM7/13/22
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 18:56:13 -0500, Agent86 wrote:
>
>> Agent does not seem to work with IPV6, it will be a sad day for a lot
>> of programs when they finally pull the plug on IPV4,
>>
>> Agent86
>

>The IPv6 specification was first published in December 1995. It is
>now 26.6 years later, and the plug has not yet been pulled on IPv4.
>
>Agent will stop working in another 15.5 years (on 19 January 2038),
>whether or not they pull the plug on IPv4.

Do you mean that installed software will simply stop working? If so,
how does that work?

Ralph Fox

Jul 13, 2022, 4:17:39 AM7/13/22
On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:19:38 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:12:21 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Agent will stop working in another 15.5 years (on 19 January 2038),
>> whether or not they pull the plug on IPv4.
>
> Do you mean that installed software will simply stop working? If so,
> how does that work?

1. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem>
2. <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/6ut3zgLdS3g/m/Lx17n_cCqEUJ>

The date column in Agent's message list cannot go past
19 January 2038 03:14 GMT. Any later messages will all
appear in Agent's message list with the same fixed date
and time of 19 January 2038 at 03:14 GMT or whatever
the corresponding time is in your own local time zone.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Wyrd bið ful aræd.

Martin Harran

Jul 16, 2022, 5:11:15 AM7/16/22
On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 20:17:34 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:19:38 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:12:21 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Agent will stop working in another 15.5 years (on 19 January 2038),
>>> whether or not they pull the plug on IPv4.
>>
>> Do you mean that installed software will simply stop working? If so,
>> how does that work?
>

>1. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem>
>2. <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/6ut3zgLdS3g/m/Lx17n_cCqEUJ>
>
>The date column in Agent's message list cannot go past
>19 January 2038 03:14 GMT. Any later messages will all
>appear in Agent's message list with the same fixed date
>and time of 19 January 2038 at 03:14 GMT or whatever
>the corresponding time is in your own local time zone.

LOL, I got quite a bit of consulting work out of the Y2K bug but I'll
be a bit long in the tooth by 2038 :)

Ralph Fox

Jul 16, 2022, 4:58:04 PM7/16/22
CEOs and boards pour money into stuff they understand (such as decimal
number rollover), not into stuff they don't understand (such as binary
number rollover). I won't bet on their being as much paid consulting
work for 2038 as there was for Y2K.

--
Kind regards
Ralph