Disappearing threads

Mike Halmarack

Apr 7, 2021, 10:23:58 AM4/7/21
Been happily shuffling along with Forte Agent for years now.
Though I've got purging turned off completely, threads are
disappearing from my newsgroups. I only notice this when there's a
thread I'm interested in and all there is left is one single Re:* post
at the top of the list. The rest of the thread has disappeared.

Ralph Fox

Apr 7, 2021, 2:08:57 PM4/7/21
A. First thing, check that your view is set to "All Messages".
"View >> All Messages"

B. If your view is set to "All Messages", then this may be the
"hash collision" problem.

If this is the "hash collision" problem then the missing messages
are there. They are just attached to the wrong threads.

The chance of the "hash collision" problem happening depends on
the number of headers you have in the group. The more headers in
the group, the more chance of the "hash collision" problem
happening in the group. Here is a table of probabilities.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/zzElLwjhaS8/m/nB9Dv1dWJCwJ>

If you seasrch this grouo on Google Groups or the phrase
"hash collision", you will find other threads on the same topic.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=%22hash%20collision%22>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Mike Halmarack

Apr 8, 2021, 10:57:03 AM4/8/21
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 06:08:50 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
Thanks, that's given me something to get my gums into.
--

Mike