Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

1 view

Martin Harran

Sep 28, 2023, 4:01:36 AM9/28/23
My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
2008!

I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
in the correct thread.

In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!

This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
Google Groups.

I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.

Ralph Fox

Sep 28, 2023, 5:23:46 AM9/28/23
This is a known problem when Agent has lots of headers in the group.
For previous discussions, search this group for the phrase
"hash collision":

For example, see this discussion from December 1997:
Subject: Mis-threaded messages

For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.
To read the table you may need to use a fixed-pitch font. E.g., copy
the text from Google Groups and paste into a text editor that is using
a fixed-pitch font.
Subject: Threading observation - Attn: Sherlog
From: pls.se...@my.sig

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

It is better to fall in with crows than with flatterers; for in the
one case you are devoured when dead, in the other case while alive.
  -- Antisthenes

Ralph Fox

Sep 28, 2023, 5:41:34 AM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
> of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.

To clarify...

This is the probability that at least one mis-threading will
occur somewhere in the group.

This is not the probability that any given message will be
mis-threaded.
🦊

Martin Harran

Sep 28, 2023, 11:02:47 AM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
Seems like no real answer to this unless I delete old posts which I
don't really want to do :(

Ralph Fox

Sep 28, 2023, 1:50:15 PM9/28/23

Or, move old posts into a sub-folder (or multiple sub-folders
indexed by year).

If you use Find Global, it has an option “Include sub-folders”.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Betere byþ oft feðre þonne oferfeðre.

Heinz Schmitz

Sep 28, 2023, 10:39:06 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100, Martin Harran
If you happen to create a new posting with the same subject of an
existing older posting, your new posting will be found "in the thread"
of the older one.
This can be avoided by making the new subject unique, like eg by
including yy-mm-dd-hh-mm.

Regards,
H.

Ralph Fox

Sep 29, 2023, 12:37:10 AM9/29/23
On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:39:02 +0200, Heinz Schmitz wrote:

> If you happen to create a new posting with the same subject of an
> existing older posting, your new posting will be found "in the thread"
> of the older one.
> This can be avoided by making the new subject unique, like eg by
> including yy-mm-dd-hh-mm.
>
> Regards,
> H.

You can also avoid this case by turning _off_ “Enable threading by
subject”, at:

[Agent 1.7-1.93] Options >> General Preferences >> Message List
[Agent 2.00] Options >> General Preferences >> Display >> Message List Pane
[Agent 3.0-8.00] Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message List Pane

After you turn this off, it may not take effect immediately. To make
it take effect in a folder, change the folder's message list sort and
then change it back.

it is still a good idea to make the new subject unique, because other
readers of your post may have “threading by subject” enabled.

--
Regards
Ralph Fox

𝗟𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘆 (𝘯) 𝖠 𝗍𝖺𝗑 𝗈𝗇 𝗉𝖾𝗈𝗉𝗅𝖾 𝗐𝗁𝗈 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝖻𝖺𝖽 𝖺𝗍 𝗆𝖺𝗍𝗁𝗌.

Martin Harran

Oct 12, 2023, 5:19:30 AM10/12/23
On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:50:09 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
That is a very useful solution, thank you for that.

Martin Harran

Oct 12, 2023, 5:21:14 AM10/12/23
On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:39:02 +0200, Heinz Schmitz
Yes, I'm aware of that; it's not the sissue here, it's what Ralph
identified - too many headers in a group.