Lucretia Borgia

Sep 18, 2020, 10:35:10 AM9/18/20
All of a sudden this group is full of ads for girls etc. It never
used to be, have I done something with settings that made it this way?
Doesn't happen on the other 3 groups I follow.

Tim Slattery

Sep 18, 2020, 11:52:17 AM9/18/20
It's nothing that you did. Some lowlife - don't know who or why - has
decided it's our turn to get this garbage.

--
Tim Slattery
tim <at> risingdove <dot> com

Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 18, 2020, 1:15:45 PM9/18/20
Tim Slattery <t...@risingdove.com> wrote:

>It's nothing that you did. Some lowlife - don't know who or why - has
>decided it's our turn to get this garbage.

Blasting out crossposted and duplicate ads to multiple newsgroups can easily be
detected. With the death of usenet, the spammers look for groups that still have
activity and post to just those groups in the hopes their ads will be seen
longer.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 18, 2020, 2:22:06 PM9/18/20
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 11:52:15 -0400, Tim Slattery <t...@risingdove.com>
wrote:

>Lucretia Borgia <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:
>
>>All of a sudden this group is full of ads for girls etc. It never
>>used to be, have I done something with settings that made it this way?
>>Doesn't happen on the other 3 groups I follow.
>
>It's nothing that you did. Some lowlife - don't know who or why - has
>decided it's our turn to get this garbage.

Well that's good to know, hopefully soon he/she/it will move on :)

Ralph Fox

Sep 18, 2020, 5:02:35 PM9/18/20
It was not your settings. Just add a kill filter to get rid of the sex spam.

The same sex spam has been happening for 1.5 years in several other groups I follow.

I don't see them any more in this group. My kill filters delete them.

1) Select sex spam message.
2) Press Ctrl+K
3) Click the "Paste Subject" button.
4) Select the "delete" radio button.
5) Choose a priority, if you want.
6) If you have the Agent filter expiry patch, you might want to do
what I do and set "Expire this filter after 90 days of inactivity"
7) Click "OK"
8) Repeat for each different sex spam subject thread.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

三军易得,一将难求。
-- 罗贯中, 三国演义

Puffer Belly

Sep 18, 2020, 5:58:08 PM9/18/20
I use Thunderbird to follow text newsgroups (and Agent for binary
newsgroups) and it appears to not have a kill filter. Does anyone know
of how to fake one?

Thanks!

Ralph Fox

Sep 18, 2020, 7:22:51 PM9/18/20
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:58:06 -0500, Puffer Belly wrote:

> I use Thunderbird to follow text newsgroups (and Agent for binary
> newsgroups) and it appears to not have a kill filter. Does anyone know
> of how to fake one?
>
> Thanks!

Thunderbird _does_ have a kill filter.

1. Select the newsgroup in the left pane of Thunderbird.
2. Go to "Tools >> Message Filters".
3. Click "New..." to add a new filter.
4. Fill in the details of what to match on.
5. Set the action to "Delete Message".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Δος μοι πα στω και ταν γαν κινάσω
-- Archimedes

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 19, 2020, 8:47:25 AM9/19/20
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:02:19 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
Great, worked like a charm, thanks Ralph!

John

Sep 19, 2020, 2:54:02 PM9/19/20
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:02:19 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

Okay, you convinced me. It's easy so I did it.

It works fine.

Thank you for prodding me. :)

J.

Rich Ulrich

Sep 19, 2020, 4:38:47 PM9/19/20
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:02:19 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

Quicker: Shift-I ignores a whole thread. That has worked
fine for me, lately. I suppose if I notice one author generating
a bunch of threads, I might set a kill filter for the Author.

--
Rich Ulrich

Ralph Fox

Sep 19, 2020, 5:39:27 PM9/19/20
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 16:38:39 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> Quicker: Shift-I ignores a whole thread. That has worked
> fine for me, lately. I suppose if I notice one author generating
> a bunch of threads, I might set a kill filter for the Author.

If you purge messages after only a few weeks you should be OK.

The hash collision problem causes the 'ignored' flag to jump onto
random other threads, when you keep messages as long as I do.

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/%22hash$20collision%22>

--
Kind regards
Ralph