writing a filter help

niteowl

Aug 27, 2014, 1:33:06 AM8/27/14
Hi, how would I write a filter to delete all except the posters I
want?

Ralph Fox

Aug 27, 2014, 3:35:50 AM8/27/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:33:06 -0400, niteowl wrote:

> Hi, how would I write a filter to delete all except the posters I
> want?

Filter expression -- the parentheses '(' ')' are important.

not from: ( abel or baker or charlie or victor or william )

Kill Action:

Kind regards
Ralph

niteowl

Aug 27, 2014, 8:55:45 AM8/27/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:35:50 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
thanks Ralph,

but I couldn't get it work, copied and pasted what you wrote from
above, got an error say there was a syntax error.

tried this: Author: not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )

same error ???

I went into the filter page, clicked on create new kill filter, pasted
the above in... same result..

?? What am I doing wrong?

thanks again,
niteowl
Message has been deleted

Nick

Aug 27, 2014, 11:44:18 AM8/27/14

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:55:45 -0400, in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, niteowl wrote:

>but I couldn't get it work, copied and pasted what you wrote from
>above, got an error say there was a syntax error.
>
>tried this: Author: not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )

If you actually entered "Author: not from:" (without the quotes) as the
filter expression, that would cause a syntax error.

However, "not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )" (without the quotes)
didn't give me an error when I used it as a filter expression.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

s|b

Aug 27, 2014, 3:04:03 PM8/27/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:33:06 -0400, niteowl wrote:

> Hi, how would I write a filter to delete all except the posters I
> want?

Just an idea: why not mark them ignored and then set a view to *not*
show ignored postings?

--
s|b

Ralph Fox

Aug 27, 2014, 4:19:39 PM8/27/14

Check that your filter looks like this: --> http://i57.tinypic.com/t5ppc4.png

> tried this: Author: not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )

If brian and kin...@pr0n.com are the posters you want, then try
either one of these to delete all except brian and kin...@pr0n.com

not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )

not author: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )

That is the entire filter expression, without another author: at the beginning.
Please do not add another author: at the beginning or you will get a syntax error.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Aug 27, 2014, 4:24:05 PM8/27/14
I moved away from using "ignore thread" a while ago, because Agent's hash
collision problem caused the ignore to infect other unrelated threads.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

niteowl

Aug 27, 2014, 5:05:16 PM8/27/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:44:18 -0400, Nick <tans...@pobox.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:55:45 -0400, in
>alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, niteowl wrote:
>
>>but I couldn't get it work, copied and pasted what you wrote from
>>above, got an error say there was a syntax error.
>>
>>tried this: Author: not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )
>
>If you actually entered "Author: not from:" (without the quotes) as the
>filter expression, that would cause a syntax error.
>
>However, "not from: ( brian or kin...@pr0n.com )" (without the quotes)
>didn't give me an error when I used it as a filter expressi

that was it alright, thanks, working perfectly now. :)

thanks,
niteowl

niteowl

Aug 27, 2014, 5:06:12 PM8/27/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:45:36 +0000, Charles Lindbergh
<spi...@stlouis.invalid> wrote:
>While you are waiting for Ralph, is this the only part you included in the
>filter expression?:
>
>not from: ( abel or baker or charlie or victor or william )
>
>below that, in the kill action box, select "delete".
>
>I just created it and Agent accepted the syntax.

got it working now,

thanks
niteowl

s|b

Aug 28, 2014, 2:06:56 PM8/28/14
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:24:05 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:

> I moved away from using "ignore thread" a while ago, because Agent's hash
> collision problem caused the ignore to infect other unrelated threads.

Not sure what you mean exactly, although I've experienced some strange
things. Sometimes, when I create an Ignore filter other messages are
marked for retrieval. I thought I solved this by changing the priority
setting. 700 for a kill action, 600 for a watch action. This seemed to
work most of the time, but sometimes I still encounter the 'mark for
retrieval' phenomenon...

--
s|b