Cannot login to Gmail

Terry Pinnell

Jun 8, 2022, 5:26:04 PM6/8/22
I've changed no settings but for the entire day I've been unable to
receive my Gmail. Consistently gives me this message:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3xlcvohnhysoat/GMailLoginproblem.jpg?raw=1

I thought it must be a widespread issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipyurxtc7dnhqrk/DownDetector-1.jpg?raw=1

Yet my wife's incoming and outgoing Gmail has been OK.

Anyone here seeing similar please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Lorenz

Jun 9, 2022, 1:12:22 AM6/9/22
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Jun 2022 22:26:02 +0100, Terry Pinnell <m...@somewhere.invalid>
>declaimed the following:
>
>>I've changed no settings but for the entire day I've been unable to
>>receive my Gmail. Consistently gives me this message:
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3xlcvohnhysoat/GMailLoginproblem.jpg?raw=1
>>

> The change by Google had been announced months ago, and is taking
>effect now. Unless you have a mail client that uses OAUTH2 authentication,
>you now need to have Google generate an application specific password --
>your normal Google account password is now only valid when logging into
>Google web-based applications. The option for "less secure apps" is no
>longer valid.
>

>>Yet my wife's incoming and outgoing Gmail has been OK.
>>
> Possibly they haven't rolled out to that account yet, or her
>configuration is already using an app-specific password.
>

>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

that seems to be an incrementel process.
I have several gmail accounts and they were switch over over the
course of several days.

the be able to generate an app-specific password you need to have 2FA
for your google account active
--

Lorenz

Ralph Fox

Jun 9, 2022, 1:43:04 AM6/9/22
Here is the announcement from Google/Gmail

"Less secure apps & your Google Account"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, Google no longer
supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign
in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Agent, you will need to get an 'app password' from Google and use that
in Agent in place of your main Google account password.

Instructions for getting an 'app password' are here:

"Sign in with App Passwords"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>

I understand Gmail is disabling "less secure apps" user by user over a
period of time. I would assume your wife will also be affected in the
near future.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Terry Pinnell

Jun 9, 2022, 1:45:07 AM6/9/22
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Jun 2022 22:26:02 +0100, Terry Pinnell <m...@somewhere.invalid>
>declaimed the following:
>
>>I've changed no settings but for the entire day I've been unable to
>>receive my Gmail. Consistently gives me this message:
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3xlcvohnhysoat/GMailLoginproblem.jpg?raw=1
>>

> The change by Google had been announced months ago, and is taking
>effect now. Unless you have a mail client that uses OAUTH2 authentication,
>you now need to have Google generate an application specific password --
>your normal Google account password is now only valid when logging into
>Google web-based applications. The option for "less secure apps" is no
>longer valid.
>

>>Yet my wife's incoming and outgoing Gmail has been OK.
>>
> Possibly they haven't rolled out to that account yet, or her
>configuration is already using an app-specific password.
>

>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Dennis, Lorenz,

Thanks both, but could you clarify what steps I need to take please. I
don't follow that page about 'App Passwords'. How/where/when do I
"...have Google generate an application specific password"?

Were you receiving gmail in Agent up until a day or so go, like me?
How do I continue to do that? Or must I finally abandon decades of
Agent use and learn to jump through new hoops? Or confine my gmail
incoming & outgoings to the web app, which I dislike.

I have consistently resisted 2-stage verification but if that's the
only solution, so be it. If I do so, on say my iPad, But where do I
start?

Terry

Terry Pinnell

Jun 9, 2022, 1:47:52 AM6/9/22
Thanks Ralph, just seen this seconds after my reply to Dennis &
Lorenz. I'll get some caffeine inside me and study the instructions!

Terry

Terry Pinnell

Jun 9, 2022, 2:05:45 AM6/9/22
Reluctantly jumped through those hoops and now thankfully have my
email for the last couple of days. Thanks all.

Terry

Lorenz

Jun 20, 2022, 2:55:15 AM6/20/22
Terry Pinnell wrote:

>Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>[...]
>
>Dennis, Lorenz,
>
>Thanks both, but could you clarify what steps I need to take please. I
>don't follow that page about 'App Passwords'. How/where/when do I
>"...have Google generate an application specific password"?
>Were you receiving gmail in Agent up until a day or so go, like me?
>How do I continue to do that? Or must I finally abandon decades of
>Agent use and learn to jump through new hoops? Or confine my gmail
>incoming & outgoings to the web app, which I dislike.

I got several eMail from google announcing the change. I ignored them
until Agent no longer could log in the my account 8-)

Then I just did the following:

- log in to your google account,
- go to "Security",
- under "Signing in to Google" activate "2-Step Verification" (if not
already active),
- there (now) should be "App passwords" available, go there
- create a new app password

>I have consistently resisted 2-stage verification but if that's the
>only solution, so be it. If I do so, on say my iPad, But where do I
>start?

sorry windows user here 8-)

Just followed the above route to activate 2FA and created an app
password for "eMail" on "windows computer"
--

Lorenz

Alan Woodford

Jun 20, 2022, 7:33:37 AM6/20/22
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 06:55:13 +0000, Lorenz <lore...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I got several eMail from google announcing the change. I ignored them
>until Agent no longer could log in the my account 8-)
>
>Then I just did the following:
>
>- log in to your google account,
>- go to "Security",
>- under "Signing in to Google" activate "2-Step Verification" (if not
>already active),
>- there (now) should be "App passwords" available, go there
>- create a new app password
>

>>I have consistently resisted 2-stage verification but if that's the
>>only solution, so be it. If I do so, on say my iPad, But where do I
>>start?
>
>sorry windows user here 8-)
>
>Just followed the above route to activate 2FA and created an app
>password for "eMail" on "windows computer"

Just bear in mind that Google will prompt you to turn off app passwords when
you access help for any google apps....

I've just replaced my old Chinese-buillt Android spyphone with a Korean
eqiuvalent, and I'm already getting fed up of dismissing the "turn off app
password" warning

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman