OT, Windows 7 to Windows 10

1 view

Mack A. Damia

Jul 19, 2022, 5:34:19 PM7/19/22

Apologies for the intrusion concerning a non-Forte issue. I don't see
any newsgroups devoted to Windows.

Here is the issue, and I am wondering if anybody knows what the
problem is.

Since 2010 I have been making a folder for each month since that time,
and once the month is over with, I put that folder containing files
into another folder for storage. I make another folder for the
current month.

At the end of June, I finally had my Windows 7 OS changed to Windows
10.

The technician saved all of my programs, folders and files on a thumb
drive. He changed the OS to Windows 10 and loaded it up via the thumb
drive.

Problem is that none of the folders or files AFTER 2018 have appeared;
they have seemingly disappeared. I also have an external back-up
drive, and none of the folders and files after 2018 are available
there, either.

I realize that when I attach the external drive, I am working through
Windows 10.

Why would the files after 2018 have disappeared from my PC after
transferring the OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7? Same with the
external drive. Any ideas?

Thanks very much!

Ralph Fox

Jul 20, 2022, 2:02:13 AM7/20/22
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:34:15 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> Apologies for the intrusion concerning a non-Forte issue. I don't see
> any newsgroups devoted to Windows.

You may need to update your newsgroups list to see the newsgroups below.

* alt.comp.os.windows-11
* alt.comp.os.windows-10
* alt.comp.os.windows-8
* alt.windows7.general
* microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Do you have the thumb drive itself, to check what was *successfully*
saved on it?

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne

Thomas Hochstein

Jul 20, 2022, 4:00:05 AM7/20/22
Mack A. Damia schrieb:

> Apologies for the intrusion concerning a non-Forte issue. I don't see
> any newsgroups devoted to Windows.

comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.financial
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win95
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.winsock.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc
comp.os.ms-windows.ce
comp.os.ms-windows.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.software.backoffice
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.software.compatibility
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.software.services
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.controls
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.graphics
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.memory
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.nt.kernel-mode
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.ole
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.misc
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.winsock
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.vxd
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
comp.os.ms-windows.video
comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc

lisa

Jul 20, 2022, 4:49:56 AM7/20/22
On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:34:15 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:

>Why would the files after 2018 have disappeared from my PC after
>transferring the OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7? Same with the
>external drive. Any ideas?

security issues?
Win7 doesn't care much about folder access, but W10 does.
Maybe you are no longer allowed to access rhose files.
But they shoudn't be disappeared. Looks more like an incomplete
backup.
--

Even miracles take a little time

Mack A. Damia

Jul 20, 2022, 11:38:34 AM7/20/22
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:49:49 +0200, lisa <not.i...@invalid.xor>
wrote:
Thanks to you and the others. Actually, it may not be worth the
bother to post to Windows groups. The folders really are not needed,
although there are a couple of files that I would like to access.

I have asked the technician for the thumb drive to check what he saved
on it. He may have erased it by now. Problem is that I live in
Mexico, don't speak Spanish fluently, and the technician is not too
proficient in speaking or understanding English.

I am particularly curious why the folders do not show up in my
external backup drive as well as my PC.

Thanks again! The technician is suppposed to get back to me soon.

lisa

Jul 21, 2022, 5:07:21 AM7/21/22
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 08:38:29 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:

>I am particularly curious why the folders do not show up in my
>external backup drive as well as my PC.

you can make a bootable linux usb stick, only! boot with it and have a
look on the external back-up drive folders. Or check the drive on a
friends computer. You can also (right) click op the drive in explorer
and have a look how much space is occupied. If no free space is left
that could be the cause of the missing files/folders. Not very likely
because you saved your files on that drive until recently.
It will also tell you how your external drive is formatted.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 21, 2022, 10:44:32 AM7/21/22
On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:07:19 +0200, lisa <not.i...@invalid.xor>
wrote:
Oh my! I am close to totally ignorant about these things, but thanks
for your suggestion.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 23, 2022, 6:29:25 PM7/23/22
Follow up: The technician just stopped by with the thumb drive, and
we could not find any of the folders and files. It remains a mystery
but not a big deal.