Laptop & desktop

Jabberwock

Mar 26, 2007, 6:49:26 PM3/26/07
I have a laptop and a desktop on which I use Forte Agent as NG reader!
I would like to syncronize the two of them so I can have all my posts
on both computer! But not only that (it wolud be simple in that
situation): on desktop I use Hamster as NG server, but I don't use it
on laptop, so I would like to sincronize only the different folders,
messages and desks: can anyone suggest me how I can do this? At least,
do you know where I can find information about the different file in
DATA folder?

Thank you!

Carroll Robbins

Mar 26, 2007, 7:05:53 PM3/26/07
Jabberwock <fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote in
<c6jg03pnld6nqn3up...@4ax.com> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:49:26
+0200:

Help -> Contents -> Reference -> Agent's Directories and Files

Note: Desks are stored in agent.ini

Why are you using Hamster?
--
Carroll Robbins

Jabberwock

Mar 27, 2007, 5:58:50 AM3/27/07
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:05:53 -0400, Carroll Robbins
<carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

>Help -> Contents -> Reference -> Agent's Directories and Files

Thank you: I'll read this guide!

>Note: Desks are stored in agent.ini

This is a problem: Agent.ini stores information about post retrieving,
doesn't it?

>Why are you using Hamster?

I use it for e-mail (a lot of accounts and I don't like to setup
everyone if I change my mail client or if my OS doesn't work), to have
a local archive for some NG (Agent, at least with 3.x version, was
very very slow with a database with a great amount of posts) and to
use mailing list as NG into Agent!

Jabberwock

Mar 27, 2007, 6:54:59 AM3/27/07
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:58:50 +0200, Jabberwock
<fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote:

>This is a problem: Agent.ini stores information about post retrieving,
>doesn't it?

After some test, I don't think so: these information are stored in
*.dat and *.idx file!
So, I suppose, I can't use different setup for the same folder, can I?

Nick Spalding

Mar 27, 2007, 8:52:20 AM3/27/07
Jabberwock wrote, in <c6jg03pnld6nqn3up...@4ax.com>

on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 00:49:26 +0200:

> Hi,

See my post:

From: Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
Subject: Re: Synching up just folders
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:03:45 +0000
--
Nick Spalding

Vista Home Premium, Intel Viiv dual core E6300 (1.86Ghz, 1066MHz FSB),
2GB RAM, IE7.0, NTFS, Video card Nvidia GeForce 7900GS LCD 1280x1024x60Hz

Jabberwock

Mar 27, 2007, 10:44:57 AM3/27/07
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:52:20 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
wrote:

>See my post:

I tried to use two different AGENT.INI files, but I can't have two
different retrieving setup in the same folder! I suppose it's because
this information is saved into *.DAT/*.IDX! If it isn't so, where is
it saved?

Nick Spalding

Mar 27, 2007, 12:34:46 PM3/27/07
Jabberwock wrote, in <3abi03tb8f9lo7kap...@4ax.com>
on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:44:57 +0200:

The individual News Access Plans are part of Properties and are therefore
probably held in the folders' .idx files. The Default Properties are in
grpprops.dat. The Scheme properties are in the appropriately named .ifs
files. The server properties are in agent.ini.

Carroll Robbins

Mar 27, 2007, 5:06:51 PM3/27/07
Jabberwock <fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote in
<rbqh03h1c4pb4k6fa...@4ax.com> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:58:50
+0200:

>>Why are you using Hamster?
>
>I use it for e-mail (a lot of accounts and I don't like to setup
>everyone if I change my mail client or if my OS doesn't work), to have
>a local archive for some NG (Agent, at least with 3.x version, was
>very very slow with a database with a great amount of posts) and to
>use mailing list as NG into Agent!

Agent can handle a lot of email accounts and doesn't lose anything when you
reinstall the OS. Of course, if you reformat the disk holding the Agent
data directory you would need to backup the directory.

I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no noticeable
slowdown. I should have moved some of the articles to an archive folder but
haven't gotten to it yet.

Agent handles mailing lists as mailing lists. What advantage do you
perceive with treating them as newsgroups? I use mailing lists, newsgroups,
and mailing lists gated thru a news server all the same.

Except for the ease of changing email clients I don't understand the
advantage you get from Hamster. If you continue to use it on your desktop,
I think you will need to use it on your laptop to keep its database up to
date.
--
Carroll Robbins

Jabberwock

Mar 27, 2007, 5:21:38 PM3/27/07
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:06:51 -0400, Carroll Robbins
<carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

>Agent can handle a lot of email accounts and doesn't lose anything when you
>reinstall the OS. Of course, if you reformat the disk holding the Agent
>data directory you would need to backup the directory.

I know that: in fact I do a backup af DATA folder when I need to
format (not so often, but when it happens...)!

>I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no noticeable
>slowdown. I should have moved some of the articles to an archive folder but
>haven't gotten to it yet.

I remember with an old version it was very slow! For this reason I
started to use Hamster... I'm happy now there is no problem!

>Except for the ease of changing email clients I don't understand the
>advantage you get from Hamster.

Another good thing is I can modify some post before they were posted:
Hamster autosyncronizes mail and NG every 30 minutes! I know, I can
use Cancel/Rescind Usenet Post, but some server doesn't support it or
it's slow!

>If you continue to use it on your desktop,
>I think you will need to use it on your laptop to keep its database up to
>date.

If I can't have different setup on laptop and desktop, I think I'll
use hamster neither on desktop... at least for NG! Nick posted some
interesting information!

jo

Mar 27, 2007, 5:35:43 PM3/27/07

Carroll Robbins wrote:

>I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no noticeable
>slowdown

And they all thread correctly?

Jabberwock

Mar 27, 2007, 5:43:13 PM3/27/07
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:34:46 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
wrote:

>The Default Properties are in grpprops.dat.

Ok, I have two different setup now... but, naturally I cannot download
the body if I retrieve the post on laptop (where I have not Hamster),
syncronize the two installations and try to download the body on
desktop (where I have Hamster); no problem viceversa! I think I'll do
other tests, but it's at least works!

Carroll Robbins

Mar 27, 2007, 5:43:15 PM3/27/07
Jabberwock <fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote in
<922j03pf8ie57i706...@4ax.com> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:21:38
+0200:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:06:51 -0400, Carroll Robbins
><carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

>>I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no noticeable
>>slowdown. I should have moved some of the articles to an archive folder but
>>haven't gotten to it yet.
>
>I remember with an old version it was very slow! For this reason I
>started to use Hamster... I'm happy now there is no problem!

If you don't have the folder sorted by date it can be slow updating after
retrieving headers since it has to sort by date, update, and then read the
dat file to sort by anything but date. I normally sort by date so tend to
forget this slowdown. Agent will continue to retrieve headers while
updating so it doesn't slow down header retrieval. Best practice is to
periodically archive articles to an archive folder.
--
Carroll Robbins

Carroll Robbins

Mar 27, 2007, 5:54:42 PM3/27/07
jo <ki...@lineone.net> wrote in
<7db9cf6f7dfa48bb4...@me.getting.bored.now> on Tue, 27 Mar
2007 21:35:43 GMT:

Of course not. I never claimed they did. The hash collision threading bug
shows up with far fewer articles. This a newsgroup
(comp.databases.ms-access) that I don't regularly read but archive for
searching, so it doesn't cause a problem.
--
Carroll Robbins

Dan

Mar 27, 2007, 5:23:06 PM3/27/07
Carroll Robbins <carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

> Jabberwock <fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote in
> <rbqh03h1c4pb4k6fa...@4ax.com> on Tue, 27 Mar 2007
> 11:58:50 +0200:
>
>>>Why are you using Hamster?
>>
>>I use it for e-mail (a lot of accounts and I don't like to setup
>>everyone if I change my mail client or if my OS doesn't work), to
>>have a local archive for some NG (Agent, at least with 3.x
>>version, was very very slow with a database with a great amount
>>of posts) and to use mailing list as NG into Agent!
>
> Agent can handle a lot of email accounts and doesn't lose
> anything when you reinstall the OS. Of course, if you reformat
> the disk holding the Agent data directory you would need to
> backup the directory.
>
> I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no
> noticeable slowdown. I should have moved some of the articles to

200,000 messages is very hard to believe and no one in their right
mind would attempt that.

Just a simple search for one word in a folder with that many
articles will grind any processor to a halt or take an eternity to
accomplish, if Agent does not crash and burn.

jo

Mar 27, 2007, 7:14:04 PM3/27/07

Dan wrote:

>200,000 messages is very hard to believe and no one in their right
>mind would attempt that.
>
>Just a simple search for one word in a folder with that many
>articles will grind any processor to a halt or take an eternity to
>accomplish, if Agent does not crash and burn.

Is your experience that Agent's Ctrl+G is happier with 5 folders of
40,000 msgs each?

And have you compared the search performance of Agtfind?

Mark Lloyd

Mar 27, 2007, 8:35:16 PM3/27/07
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:21:38 +0200, Jabberwock
<fcor...@interfree-tiscalinet.it> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:06:51 -0400, Carroll Robbins
><carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Agent can handle a lot of email accounts and doesn't lose anything when you
>>reinstall the OS. Of course, if you reformat the disk holding the Agent
>>data directory you would need to backup the directory.
>
>I know that: in fact I do a backup af DATA folder when I need to
>format (not so often, but when it happens...)!

I keep the database on a completely different drive, so formatting the
system drive has no effect on it.

E: (where the database is) is part of my regular backup. There is no
special treatment for it.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell

Dan

Mar 27, 2007, 8:46:14 PM3/27/07
jo <ki...@lineone.net> wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>
>>200,000 messages is very hard to believe and no one in their right
>>mind would attempt that.
>>
>>Just a simple search for one word in a folder with that many
>>articles will grind any processor to a halt or take an eternity to
>>accomplish, if Agent does not crash and burn.
>
>Is your experience that Agent's Ctrl+G is happier with 5 folders of
>40,000 msgs each?

10,000 messages is the absolute limit in a binary newsgroup and that
amount triggers a very noticeable drop in CPU performance if a
person enters two or more words in a killfilter.

40K is an objective for those who prefer to stare at a blank screen.

>And have you compared the search performance of Agtfind?

Like day and night.
Forte should get rid of the development team and hire new blood.

Carroll Robbins

Mar 27, 2007, 9:15:09 PM3/27/07
Dan <Dan@home.> wrote in <46098b3a$0$21153$6d36...@fe2.nntpserver.com> on
27 Mar 2007 21:23:06 GMT:

>Carroll Robbins <carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

>> I have 1 newsgroup folder with over 200,000 articles with no
>> noticeable slowdown. I should have moved some of the articles to
>

>200,000 messages is very hard to believe and no one in their right
>mind would attempt that.
>
>Just a simple search for one word in a folder with that many
>articles will grind any processor to a halt or take an eternity to
>accomplish, if Agent does not crash and burn.
>

>> an archive folder but haven't gotten to it yet.

It's an archive of comp.databases.ms-access from 2002-7-1 to the present.
It has 214245 articles in 693 MBytes. Older articles are in an archive
folder. Although it's not best practice, Agent can handle a folder more
than 10 times this size.

Processors do not grind to a halt. WinNT based OS issue the halt
instruction if there is nothing for the processor to do.

Do you know the meaning of eternity?

Agent has never crashed on me, much less burned. Agent searches articles 1
at a time so the total number of articles being searched has no bearing on
it crashing.

I'm composing this message while Agent is searching all of each 214245
article for one word. Wait for search to finish. It took 22.5 minutes.
Slow, but not an eternity. I continued to use my computer normally during
the search. I do wish Forte would speed up Agent's searches.
--
Carroll Robbins

Dan

Mar 27, 2007, 10:08:19 PM3/27/07
Carroll Robbins <carroll...@ioa.com.invalid> wrote:

And 23 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time to spend, just
searching for one word. Try to imagine if a string of words were
added or the simple act was refined with an expression.

With the availability/price of Duo Core and Quad Core Processors in
the horizon, 23 minutes clearly refines the definition of an
eternity.

jo

Mar 27, 2007, 10:11:07 PM3/27/07

Dan wrote:

>Forte should get rid of the development team and hire new blood.

About as likely as you keeping the same nym for a week.