Posts not in thread

Terry Pinnell

May 30, 2008, 5:39:51 AM5/30/08
I frequently find that posts are not correctly placed within their
threads. Here's an example:
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3199/agentthreadssh9.jpg

Threading is On (i.e. I have clicked '+') and I have also sorted by
Date (descending).

What is the likely cause and how do I fix it please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Ralph Fox

May 30, 2008, 6:49:49 AM5/30/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:39:51 +0100, in message <5kiv34121shpj172t...@4ax.com>,
Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I frequently find that posts are not correctly placed within their
> threads. Here's an example:
> http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3199/agentthreadssh9.jpg

That tells us that there is a problem, but not the cause.
Off the top of my head, I can think of two different causes, both
equally likely.

What might be useful is full headers of all the messages in the
thread, including the one which did not thread and the one which
it was a reply to.

> Threading is On (i.e. I have clicked '+') and I have also sorted by
> Date (descending).
>
> What is the likely cause

Here are two different and equally-likely causes.

A. The followup was posted by someone using an email client
which does not generate either a "References" header or an
RFC2822-format "In-Reply-To" header. OutLook / MS Exchange
is a prime example.

or

B. The mailing list is gated to/from a newsgroup. When email
messages are gated to the newsgroup, they get given new
(different) message-IDs. When someone on the newsgroup
replies, the "References" header has the NG message-id
not the original email MID, so it does not thread under
the original email.

> and how do I fix it please?

The classic answer for such things would normally be to turn on
"enable threading by subject" -- but that will not work here
because of the [gpsu] placed *before* the "Re:" on replies.

Fallback options for fixing will depend on the actual cause.

A. If it is cause 'A' ...

Kill-filter anyone using OutLook (if they won't agree to
your demands that they change e-mail client)

B. If it is cause 'B' ...

I have some good news and some bad news.
(1) First the good news: If you subscribe to the newsgroup then
replies posted via the newsgroup _will_ thread properly.
(1) Now the bad news: If you subscribe to the newsgroup then
replies posted via email to messages originally posted via
email, will not thread in the newsgroup. This is because
the "References" header will have the email MID and not the
newsgroup MID of the original post.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

agent.user

May 30, 2008, 6:53:57 AM5/30/08

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:39:51 +0100 'Terry Pinnell'
wrote this on alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

Hash collisions?

Ralph Fox

May 30, 2008, 7:15:39 AM5/30/08

Not in this case -- here the misthreaded message is not threaded at all.

In a hash collision, the misthreaded message would be threaded under
the wrong message (one with the same MID hash as the right one).

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Terry Pinnell

May 30, 2008, 7:25:27 AM5/30/08
Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

Thanks, appreciate the detailed reply. Not sure I necessarily yet
follow all of it mind you ;-)

Here's an example (the first entry in my screenshot) of a full header
for a post that did not get threaded:

b=bp2fYqVfwIoCMMMzbH/JZ65BdCRj/eol7wLgIpOGRveciD/y6k2VrTXp7UT0COxqr1LwWhsUtiTigUreXmzhACpe6eZoehRtIq8NkaHnbbPobwZwjzQtGKBr/3YeUL5d;
To: gp...@yahoogroups.com
From: "John" <jo...@daly.net>
Sender: gp...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:23:04 -0000
Subject: [gpsu] Re: GPX files not loading in GE

b=u8bTUCBZJ0RTB+Re/Y8kM9sbThdg55BzKadRiWjMrj2hrSxVsMO4TXxGOz0JCxew2gPfIRSALAAiYXu368Kf31XXy+JzCjS0rcbhjMp9H9mcDJHjyz2k1WRnGL/kjMnl;
To: gp...@yahoogroups.com
From: "John" <jo...@daly.net>
Sender: gp...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:44:26 -0000

====================

Happy to provide any other information that would assist in the
diagnosis.

agent.user

May 30, 2008, 7:53:35 AM5/30/08

On Fri, 30 May 2008 23:15:39 +1200 'Ralph Fox'
wrote this on alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent:

Yeah I was unsure about that myself, hence my "?".

I suffer many hash collisions ...uh!

Roger

May 30, 2008, 8:06:17 AM5/30/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:49:49 +1200, Ralph Fox
<-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>The classic answer for such things would normally be to turn on
>"enable threading by subject" -- but that will not work here
>because of the [gpsu] placed *before* the "Re:" on replies.

Did you notice that the third arrow down is pointing to a line
which begins

Re : [gpsu]

Wouldn't the space between the "Re" and the colon stop Agent
from considering this to be a followup message?
--
Roger

Terry Pinnell

May 30, 2008, 10:18:21 AM5/30/08
Roger <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

Looking back at the message pane, there seems to be some variety, the
first of the following being by far the most frequent format.

Subject: RE : [gpsu] Combining Route Segments <---
Subject: RE: [gpsu] Track points exceeded
Subject: [gpsu] RE: Nobeltec Visual Navigation Suite export

FWIW, here' the web alternative that I rarely use.

Martin Jay

May 30, 2008, 10:35:15 AM5/30/08

Looks like a mailing list rather than a newsgroup.

My guess is that Agent threads messages based on the 'In-Reply-To:'
header and that some authors are not supply one.

Checking the header of orphaned messages for the absence of
'In-Reply-To:' would confirm this.
--
Martin Jay

Ralph Fox

May 30, 2008, 3:59:38 PM5/30/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:53:35 +0100, in message <e261d2ebee52115f...@localhost.127.0.0.1>,
agent.user wrote:

> I suffer many hash collisions ...uh!

I also suffer many hash collisions. :-(

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Fox

May 31, 2008, 2:08:17 AM5/31/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:25:27 +0100, in message <7mov349dlr1436gfp...@4ax.com>,
Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
> >What might be useful is full headers of all the messages in the
> >thread, including the one which did not thread and the one which
> >it was a reply to.

> Here's an example (the first entry in my screenshot) of a full header
> for a post that did not get threaded:

The way this example works is like this.

This example is a reply to some other message. This example requires
that other message to be present, so that this example can thread. If
that specific other message is not present there in that folder, in
the thread, then this example will not thread.

So say you have this

Alan posts a message
Terry replies to Alan
John replies to Terry

If Terry's post is not present there in that folder, in the thread,
then John's post will not thread with Alan's.

If Terry's post is present there in that folder, in that thread,
then all three posts will thread together.

So let me make some guesses

1. The post which did not thread is a reply to you
2. Your post is not there in the folder, in the thread
3. Perhaps Yahoo Groups does not send you copies of your own posts,
and that is why your own posts are not present there.

If this is _not_ the case, what I also need to see is not only the
a full header for the post that did not get threaded (thanks), but
also the full header for the post which it was a reply to. I need
the full header as is present there in that folder, in the thread.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Fox

May 31, 2008, 2:18:01 AM5/31/08

Agent doesn't require the "Re:" in order to consider the message
to be a followup message. But in some circumstances, Agent will
compare whether the subjects are equal give-or-take a "Re:" prefix.

A. So long as you have turned off "start a new thread when a
follow-up subject changes", this will not stop normal
threading.
But if you have turned on "start a new thread when a follow-up
subject changes", this would stop Agent from considering this

to be a followup message

B. This will stop "enable threading by subject" from doing
its special thing. However, normal threading ought to
work without "enable threading by subject".

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Roger

May 31, 2008, 4:14:10 AM5/31/08
On Sat, 31 May 2008 18:18:01 +1200, Ralph Fox
<-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:06:17 +0100, in message <2nqv349hpi1odido2...@4ax.com>,
>Roger wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:49:49 +1200, Ralph Fox
>> <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >The classic answer for such things would normally be to turn on
>> >"enable threading by subject" -- but that will not work here
>> >because of the [gpsu] placed *before* the "Re:" on replies.
>>
>> Did you notice that the third arrow down is pointing to a line
>> which begins
>>
>> Re : [gpsu]
>>
>> Wouldn't the space between the "Re" and the colon stop Agent
>> from considering this to be a followup message?
>

>Agent doesn't require the "Re:" in order to consider the message
>to be a followup message. But in some circumstances, Agent will
>compare whether the subjects are equal give-or-take a "Re:" prefix.

"Re:" yes, but does Agent treat "Re :" the same as "Re:"? I
think that the space has caused Agent to treat that particular
message as having a different subject.
--
Roger

Ralph Fox

May 31, 2008, 7:45:09 AM5/31/08

Yes, it will treat it as having a different _subject_.

But that does not mean it has to affect _threading_ (which is what
this thread is about). See 'A' and 'B' of my previous message.

--
Cheers,
Ralph