Forte APN Account

ReichStuff

Sep 25, 2021, 10:22:06 AM9/25/21
When I DL message headers in my subscribed newsgroups, I keep nearly
all. This creates newsgroups with 10s of thousands of headers dating
back to 2011 or earlier. Recently, like just last week, my newsgroup
server (Forte APN) purged all headers between about 9/17/2021 back to
8/1/2012 in both a.b.s.lossless.country and a.b.s.mp3.country. This
was totally unusual and totally unexpected. I have no kill filters
that would cause this behavior. All 'read' headers are automatically
purged each time I close Agent. I have been using Agent since about
2010, maybe earlier, and this has never happened before. Did Forte
purge those newsgroups on the server? I am using version
8.00/32.1272. Does anyone know what/how/why this happened?

Dick

Ralph Fox

Sep 25, 2021, 4:20:58 PM9/25/21
Checking here, the Forte APN US server has headers from August 2008
in both a.b.s.lossless.country and a.b.s.mp3.country.

(But I am not going to download all the headers to see if there is
a big gap in the range. FYI, whether such a gap might have caused
what you saw depends on whether there was a check-mark in "Always
get complete list of server's available messages")

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ReichStuff

Sep 26, 2021, 9:29:44 AM9/26/21
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:20:53 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
As I stated, this is a behavior that suddenly occurred without any
action on my part. I checked, and there is (and always has been) a
check mark in "Always get complete list of server's available
messages." The only thing that makes sense to me is that Forte purged
those two newsgroups on their own. Should you have any further
suggestions, please share. I guess I could sign up for another news
server, but I have quit several because of their retentions and/or
because of cost. Forte has tremendously LONG retention times and the
cost is just $2.95 (US) per month for 25GB.

Ralph Fox

Sep 29, 2021, 1:37:56 PM9/29/21
To clarify a few points:

* If your message list is affected by APN purging those two newsgroups,
then you are using the "what to purge" setting "When message is
no longer available".

* How Agent decides when a message is no longer available, depends on
the setting "Always get complete list of server's available messages".

* Nobody said this occurred with an action on your part, such as by
changing the setting "Always get complete list of server's available
messages". Rather,
(a) You asked if anyone know what/how/why this happened.
(b) For your question, it is highly relevant how your Agent is
configured to decide when a message is no longer available.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Arthur T.

Sep 29, 2021, 6:20:10 PM9/29/21
In Message-ID:<5m9ukgttqnq7lahla...@4ax.com>,
ReichStuff <BlackKnights67@gee_mail.com> wrote:

>Recently, like just last week, my newsgroup
>server (Forte APN) purged all headers between about 9/17/2021 back to
>8/1/2012 in both a.b.s.lossless.country and a.b.s.mp3.country. This
>was totally unusual and totally unexpected. I have no kill filters
>that would cause this behavior. All 'read' headers are automatically
>purged each time I close Agent.

Are you sure the headers were deleted and purged? Have you checked
that your VIEW is set to "All Messages"?

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

The Horny Goat

Oct 1, 2021, 2:40:28 PM10/1/21
On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:20:09 -0400, Arthur T. <art...@munged.invalid>
wrote:
Good point - I would be embarassed the number of times I've
inadvertently hit the 'desks' button and found I was no longer looking
at 'all desks'!