Re: Removal of Organization header

Ralph Fox

Mar 7, 2022, 12:59:28 PM3/7/22
On Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:32:25 +0000, Ollie wrote:

> Subject: Removal of Organization header

> I've noticed examples of Forte Agent version 6 Usenet posts in which the
> Organization header is absent from the headers listed.
>
> Am I correct in thinking this header field isn't really required for the
> proper use of newsreaders? Also, is there any information available about
> how leaving out this header field from messages sent is achieved?

Your own Organization header (above) is added by your news server ES.
If you look, you will see:
i) many other users of ES have the same Organization header as you;
ii) users of other news servers do not have the same Organization
header as you.

How to leave out this header field depends on whether you want to have
no Organization header at all, or whether you will accept changing your
Organization header to something else.

If you want to have no Organization header at all, your only choice
is to use a different news server which does not add the Organization
header.

If you will accept changing your Organization header to something else,
generally news servers will leave the Organization header alone when
you provide your own Organization header in your newsreader. In Agent 6
you can provide your own Organization header at:
Tools >> Options >> Posting Messages >> Personas >> (edit Persona) >> Organization

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε

Ollie

Mar 7, 2022, 2:50:04 PM3/7/22
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:32:25 +0000, Ollie <not.us...@mailinator.com>
>declaimed the following:
>
>>I've noticed examples of Forte Agent version 6 Usenet posts in which the
>>Organization header is absent from the headers listed.
>>
>>Am I correct in thinking this header field isn't really required for the
>>proper use of newsreaders? Also, is there any information available about
>>how leaving out this header field from messages sent is achieved?
>
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5536
>(or, more specific:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5536#section-3.2 )
>
> Agent 8
>
> Tools
> Personas
> {pick one, then} [EDIT]
>
>allows one to set a value for Organization, I don't know what it does if
>the field is completely empty; it could put out a header with no value, or
>could skip the entire header (Organization and Reply-To are the two "fixed"
>fields; one can add any other optional or completely custom headers below
>by specifying the header name and its value).

Great, now I no longer have to go with "a noiseless patient Spider" thing.

Thanks for your reply.

Ollie

Mar 7, 2022, 2:51:34 PM3/7/22
Now I understand why I have seen some Forte Agent Usenet posts with no
Organization header field at all in the headers. Not only does the user
leave the field blank but, additionally, so does the news server they happen
to be using.

I am grateful for your explanatory reply, thanks.