alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ

Cronus

Jan 14, 2017, 5:32:38 PM1/14/17
Enhancing The Forté Agent News Reader
----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified Site v.01.01.2000 -----
----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----

----- links checked and updated as at 01.01.2017 -----
.
Disclaimer:
Please Check With your ISP's Acceptable Usage Policies before applying any information found within this Web Site. The following information and utilities contained on this site are for educational purposes only. The maintainer of this site, or the Administrators of the web space they are contained within are not responsible for your actions.

 1.0 Group History, existence, and why. A description of
     alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified
     § Original Reasoning
     § Current Reasoning
 2.0 Parent Group information a.u.o-r.f-a.
     § History
     § Cross posting
     § a.u.o-r.f-a FAQ
 3.0 Questions NOT to ask in a.u.o-r.f-a.
 4.0 Other Questions that may come to mind.
     § Piracy
     § History
     § Binaries
 5.0 Tips and Tricks that "Regular People" do to their news readers.
     § Introduction.
     § Remove X-Newsreader.
     § Alter X-Newsreader.
     § Add X-PGP-ID.
     § Add X-PGP-Key-Fingerprint.
     § What is PGP and why would I add these headers.
     § Add X-URL.
     § Spoof Path.
     § Remove NNTP-POSTING HOST.
     § Add NNTP-POSTING HOST.
     § Spoof NNTP.
     § Spoof Message ID.
     § Using Existing header fields.
     § Lost Alterations.
     § Patches.
     § Tools.
     § Paranoia.
     § Remove Mime Headers.
     § TESTING YOUR Modification's.
     § Advanced alterations and modifications.
 6.0 Alternatives to pirating software.
     § Note on Registration
 7.0 History on Usenet headers, RFC1036.
 8.0 Third party integrated utilities, add-on's, and agent enhancements.
[[ a.u.o-r.f-a.m FAQ || Tools and utilities || Downloads ]]
----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 1.0 -------

 Group existence and why, a description of a.u.o-r.f-a.m

Original reason:
 Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 01:29:14 GMT
 alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified is formed to
 accommodate discussion help and support for users who wish to
 enhance their news reader.

Why:
 The intent to relieve alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
 of articles which may not be of interest to all it's users.

Current reason's:
 Users of all forms sometimes would like to add an additional header
 field to there news reader, a header field is something not seen in
 the main message body. Agent has several fields available including
 Control headers, yet some want more. Headers to display PGP
 information, Group affiliation, Educational experience, etc.

 Forte does not condone these actions nor discredit the use of them
 (unless you mail in for support with the alterations)
 Forte has in the past added header field's to accommodate it's user
 base, X-No-Archive being a primary example, what better way to show
 them what the users want than implementing them ourselves!

----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 2.0 -------

  Parent Group information a.u.o-r.f-a

2.0 Q1) What is the parent group?
2.0 A1) alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

2.0 Q2) Who created the "parent group"?
2.0 A2) Usenet user(s) no one has ever claimed direct resonsibility.
2.0 A2 addendum) Supplied by Michael Levy.
        Created by Usenet user(s) who were fed up with the volume of
        [Free] Agent posts in alt.usenet.offline-reader back during
        Nov '95 I believe. Now they have nothing to read ;-)

        It is not an official Forté group, they (Lance) just maintain
        a lurking presence and get involved if really needed...
        it is just a user group really!

2.0 Q3) Should I cross post into both groups?
2.0 A3) Generally NO! See Note below.

2.0 NOTE) This FAQ, pointers to this FAQ and discussion concerning
          this FAQ may occasionally be found Cross posted to any
          combination of the following:
          alt.usenet.offline-reader
          alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
          alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.jehad
          alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified

          If you find yourself moving into a thread which may contain
          modification content please change the topic and direct it to
          alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified.

2.0 Q4) Is there a FAQ for the "parent Group"
2.0 A4) There are at least three sources of FAQ information about
        Agent and Free Agent (each is a little different from the
        others, so check them all as needed):

2.0 A4.1) The Help files in the programs: Help * FAQ
2.0 A4.2) Forté's web site
          http://www.forteinc.com
          Be sure to read both "Frequently Asked Questions"
          and "Bugs and Enhancements"
2.0 A4.3) http://www.loganact.com/agent/agentfaq.html
          rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent]
          [& posted monthly in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent]

2.0 Q5) Should I refer to Agent FAQ first for Agent operational questions?
2.0 A5) YES.

2.0 Q6) What is an Agent operational Question?
2.0 A6) Questions generally pertaining to the basic operation of
        [Free] Agent, it's installation and operating difficulties.
----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 3.0 -------

   Questions NOT to ask in a.u.o-r.f-a

3.0 Q1) What should I refrain from discussing in the "parent group"?
3.0 A1) You can generalize about what *NOT* to ask in a.u.o-r.f-a
        below are some examples.
3.0 A1.a) How Do I hack AGENT?
3.0 A1.b) How do I remove the x-newsreader header field?
3.0 A1.c) How do I add custom header fields?
3.0 A1.d) Where can I get a reg code?
3.0 A1.e) Will someone send me a registration key?
3.0 A1.f) I downloaded the latest bootleg beta, can I use it?
3.0 A1.!) You can generalize about what *NOT* to ask in a.u.o-r.f-a.
          However most users are kind enough to redirect you to a.u.o-r.f-a.m.

3.0 Q2) What is Fortés opinion on altering their code?
3.0 A2) As with most software developer's you can read the license
        agreement for an answer to this one!
----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 4.0 -------

 Other Questions that may come to mind

4.0 Q1) Can I get support for my stolen beta here?
4.0 A1) No..

4.0 Q2) I'm a registered user but I have a bootleg beta, is that OK?
4.0 A2) Most would think so, Some will not! Be discreet!

4.0 Q3) Is there a rivaly betwen the parent group and .modified?
4.0 A3.a) Not entirely but there have been moments and situations.
          We have our share of moments as well helping the parent group
          was half the basis for the creation ofa.u.o-r.f-a.m
          although the topics are considered advanced.
4.0 A3.b) There are many helpful users around a.u.o-r.f-a many who
          participate regularly in a.u.o-r.f-a.m as well.

4.0 Q4) Who created this news group?
4.0 A4) After deciding that a.u.p.a was not politically
        correct, And the users of a.u.o-r.f-a realizing that some
        discussions were not completely relevant to all users or on
        topic for a.u.o-r.f-a. A control message was sent by madhat  c2.org
        to create the group imidiatly.

4.0 Q5) Who created the FAQ for this group?
4.0 A5) Various users of alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified.

4.0 Q6) Can I post binaries here?
4.0 A6) NO Absolutely not!
4.0 A6.a) Binaries posted to non binary groups cause many problems
4.0 A6.b) Binaries posted to non-binary groups can result in ISP's
          no longer supplying you with the group.
4.0 A6.c) Binaries posted to non binary groups
          attract unneeded attention
4.0 A6.d) Binaries posted to non binary groups
          attract cancel bot's and several unwanted threads.
4.0 A6.d.unwanted-thread.1) I've been censored
4.0 A6.d.unwanted-thread.2) Some net cop hates me
4.0 A6.d.unwanted-thread.3) mail bomb this a** hole
4.0 A6.d.unwanted-thread.summary) I think you get the idea.
4.0 A6-Summary) I Think you see the reasons outlined above,
       however if this is not enough of an explanation refer
       to Usenet groups  news.admin.*

4.0 Q7) Should I report Spam and MMF that lands here?
4.0 A7.a) It's your call although considered a futile attempt these days.

----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 5.0 -------

  Tips and Tricks that Regular people do to their news readers.

      § Introduction. Sec 5.0.A
      § Remove X-Newsreader. Sec 5.0.B
      § Alter X-Newsreader.
      § Add X-PGP-ID.
      § Add X-PGP-Key-Fingerprint.
      § What is PGP and why would I add these headers.
      § Add X-URL.
      § Spoof Path.
      § Remove NNTP-POSTING HOST.
      § Add NNTP-POSTING HOST.
      § Spoof NNTP.
      § Spoof Message ID.
      § Using Existing header fields.
      § Lost Alterations.
      § Patches.
      § Tools.
      § Paranoia.
      § Remove Mime Headers.
      § TESTING YOUR Modification's. Sec 5.0.C
      § Advanced alterations and modifications. Sec 5.0.D
      § What and how is PGP used with Usenet Sec 5.0.E

----- alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified FAQ v.01.01.2000 -----
------ Sec 5.0.A -------

 Introduction and notes you should read before starting.

NOTE.1: Hacks and modifications listed below refer to most builds
        however the author of this FAQ at it's original time of
        writing used 99g/326
        Update: all modifications were identical in build
        1.0/390 Final.

NOTE.2: Most hacks are done by replacing or modifying default header
        fields directly in the agent.exe binary. Certain fields CAN
        NOT be removed and are required. Choose your other field's
        carefully before replacing or modifying.

       REQUIRED HEADER FIELDS AS DEFINED IN RFC1036:
             * Note: Some of these fields are added by the server
                 From
                 Date  *
                 Newsgroups
                 Subject
                 Message-ID
                 Path  *
                OPTIONAL HEADER FIELDS:
                Note: Some fields may be added by the news server
                Sender
                Followup-To
                Expires