Disabling the Insert key in Version 6

NONONO...@bigfoot.com

Oct 18, 2015, 12:40:57 AM10/18/15
Back in December of 2001, I had changed from Free Agent to paid Agent,
and one difference was that the Insert key now toggled from Insert
(which was the only setting before) to Overlay.

This was driving me crazy.

Somehow I found out about auorfa.modified, and after reading a related
post, I asked there, and Peter Giese and Randy aka
Coi...@MindSpring.com were good enough to show me how to disable the
Insert Key.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/disable$20insert$20key/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/HRIO-7dAXWA/-Jg4CrzoRq8J

It involves Resource Hacker, and the modification of Accelerators.

14 years later, even though I paid for version 6, I'm still using
version 1.93, and I planned to stay that way, except it's not working
all of a sudden (after working in Vista for 3 weeks).

So, like I did 5 years ago, I tried to use Resource Hacker to hack
version six. But it has no Accelerators!! apparently.

So as Randy suggested 14 years ago, I found a key remapper, called Key
Remapper and it's just about perfect (except it costs $24).

But it does allow the Insert Key to act like Left-Cntl-Insert (which
does nothing in Agent afaict. ) And only when using Agent. So
that's good.

It quickly occurred to me that since my favorite mulitmedia keyboard
is tied up connected to the broken computer, maybe I coudl assign keys
to volume up and down, and it had those assignments, even for
keyboards without those keys. I used the numeric keyboard / and *,
and I excluded Calc. I never use those keys, even when using Calc,
so that's good, and it works. Then I thought... How about assigning
Pause to Mute, except when using Cmd or TCC/LE. AFAIK, Pause/Break
only works during startup, before Windows, and when in a dosbox, so
that's good.

Those are the 3 keys that I use most from multimedia keyboards. When
I used Win Media Player to play webradio, next track would change
stations, but now I use mostly RadioMaximus. Just learned that stop
and play would work with that, and maybe there are F keys I never use,
but that's for later.

FWIW, this is version 1.6. It's after midnight and the trial period
ends in 29 days. Maybe I can mow lawns for the money.

Ralph Fox

Oct 18, 2015, 3:18:14 AM10/18/15
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:40:45 -0400, <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Back in December of 2001, I had changed from Free Agent to paid Agent,
> and one difference was that the Insert key now toggled from Insert
> (which was the only setting before) to Overlay.

In my Free Agent, the Insert key toggles between Insert and Overstrike.
Just tested it now in
* Free Agent 1.21
* Free Agent 1.93
* Free Agent 3.3

> This was driving me crazy.
>
> Somehow I found out about auorfa.modified, and after reading a related
> post, I asked there, and Peter Giese and Randy aka
> Coi...@MindSpring.com were good enough to show me how to disable the
> Insert Key.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/disable$20insert$20key/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/HRIO-7dAXWA/-Jg4CrzoRq8J
>
> It involves Resource Hacker, and the modification of Accelerators.
>
> 14 years later, even though I paid for version 6, I'm still using
> version 1.93, and I planned to stay that way, except it's not working
> all of a sudden (after working in Vista for 3 weeks).
>
> So, like I did 5 years ago, I tried to use Resource Hacker to hack
> version six. But it has no Accelerators!! apparently.

Agent 6 is a wxWidgets application (as are Agent 2 and later).
The accelerators can be found inside the file "agent.xrs"
But don't use Resource Hacker on "agent.xrs".

The file "agent.xrs" is a ZIP file with a .xrs extension.
If you unzip "agent.xrs" you will see a file "accels.xrc" containing
the accelerators. You can open "accels.xrc" in a plain text editor
like Notepad.

FYI I did not see anything in "accels.xrc" which looks like
it represents the INS key.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Micky

Oct 18, 2015, 4:04:11 AM10/18/15
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:18:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:40:45 -0400, <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> Back in December of 2001, I had changed from Free Agent to paid Agent,
>> and one difference was that the Insert key now toggled from Insert
>> (which was the only setting before) to Overlay.
>

>In my Free Agent, the Insert key toggles between Insert and Overstrike.
>Just tested it now in
> * Free Agent 1.21
> * Free Agent 1.93
> * Free Agent 3.3

Well, I could be wrong. I'm going by a comment I made in 2001, in the
thread below. OTOH, I might have been upgrading from version 0.99,
and maybe there was no toggling then.

>> This was driving me crazy.
>>
>> Somehow I found out about auorfa.modified, and after reading a related
>> post, I asked there, and Peter Giese and Randy aka
>> Coi...@MindSpring.com were good enough to show me how to disable the
>> Insert Key.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/disable$20insert$20key/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/HRIO-7dAXWA/-Jg4CrzoRq8J
>>
>> It involves Resource Hacker, and the modification of Accelerators.
>>
>> 14 years later, even though I paid for version 6, I'm still using
>> version 1.93, and I planned to stay that way, except it's not working
>> all of a sudden (after working in Vista for 3 weeks).
>>
>> So, like I did 5 years ago, I tried to use Resource Hacker to hack
>> version six. But it has no Accelerators!! apparently.
>

>Agent 6 is a wxWidgets application (as are Agent 2 and later).

For the record, I don't know what wsWidgets are, or what accelerators
are, but don't try to explain it to me. I don't have room in my head.
>The accelerators can be found inside the file "agent.xrs"
>But don't use Resource Hacker on "agent.xrs".
>
>The file "agent.xrs" is a ZIP file with a .xrs extension.
>If you unzip "agent.xrs" you will see a file "accels.xrc" containing
>the accelerators. You can open "accels.xrc" in a plain text editor
>like Notepad.
>
>FYI I did not see anything in "accels.xrc" which looks like
>it represents the INS key.

I believe there was nothing in ver. 1.93 of agent.exe for the insert
key either, but there were other accelerator keys, and Peter took one
that wasn't needed and edited it. He told me what address to modify
in 1.92 and I found the same code slightly offset from his address in
ver 1.93. I'm not sure whether he used Resource Hacker at all, or
maybe just to determine that there were accelerators.

But I will look in accels.xrc and see what I can learn. I still
have the original version of 1.93 as well as the modified one, just to
verify what change was made. And if I don't have a good hex editor --
and I probably do -- I can find one.

Micky

Oct 19, 2015, 6:24:37 AM10/19/15
wrote:

>Agent 6 is a wxWidgets application (as are Agent 2 and later).
>The accelerators can be found inside the file "agent.xrs"
>But don't use Resource Hacker on "agent.xrs".
>
>The file "agent.xrs" is a ZIP file with a .xrs extension.

I figured it out but:

This page considers an .xrs extension to be an error!!
http://www.openfileextensions.org/filext-info/how-to-fix-XRS-XRS-developed-by-XRS-windows-files-fix.html

Another page says "If your computer cannot determine which program to
open .xrs file, it means that you donnot have the related software
which can open file extension XRS, here provides the programs to open
.xrs File >>read more - See more at:
http://file.downloadatoz.com/xrs-file-extension/#sthash.kORhGQP7.dpuf"

LOL

>If you unzip "agent.xrs" you will see a file "accels.xrc" containing

Ended up making a copy, changing the extension to .zip, and unzipping.
>the accelerators. You can open "accels.xrc" in a plain text editor
>like Notepad.

I didn't know how to change the file, but assuming I knew, I'd have to
change it, rezip it all, change the name back to end in .xrs, and then
re-install Agent to have my changes take effect, is that right?

>FYI I did not see anything in "accels.xrc" which looks like
>it represents the INS key.

Me neither!

Ralph Fox

Oct 20, 2015, 3:43:30 AM10/20/15
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 06:24:35 -0400, Micky wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:18:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> >Agent 6 is a wxWidgets application (as are Agent 2 and later).
> >The accelerators can be found inside the file "agent.xrs"
> >But don't use Resource Hacker on "agent.xrs".
> >
> >The file "agent.xrs" is a ZIP file with a .xrs extension.
>
> I figured it out but:
>
> This page considers an .xrs extension to be an error!!
> http://www.openfileextensions.org/filext-info/how-to-fix-XRS-XRS-developed-by-XRS-windows-files-fix.html
>
> Another page says "If your computer cannot determine which program to
> open .xrs file, it means that you donnot have the related software
> which can open file extension XRS, here provides the programs to open
> .xrs File >>read more - See more at:
> http://file.downloadatoz.com/xrs-file-extension/#sthash.kORhGQP7.dpuf"
>
> LOL

I can right-click on the .xrs file and choose "7-Zip >> Open archive".
I have 7-Zip installed to open ZIP files <http://www.7-zip.org/>.

> >If you unzip "agent.xrs" you will see a file "accels.xrc" containing
>
> Ended up making a copy, changing the extension to .zip, and unzipping.
> >the accelerators. You can open "accels.xrc" in a plain text editor
> >like Notepad.
>
> I didn't know how to change the file, but assuming I knew, I'd have to
> change it, rezip it all, change the name back to end in .xrs, and then
> re-install Agent to have my changes take effect, is that right?

... and then, replace the original agent.xrs file with the modified one
and restart Agent to have your changes take effect

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Micky

Oct 20, 2015, 6:37:35 AM10/20/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:43:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 06:24:35 -0400, Micky wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:18:13 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Agent 6 is a wxWidgets application (as are Agent 2 and later).
>> >The accelerators can be found inside the file "agent.xrs"
>> >But don't use Resource Hacker on "agent.xrs".
>> >
>> >The file "agent.xrs" is a ZIP file with a .xrs extension.
>>
>> I figured it out but:
>>
>> This page considers an .xrs extension to be an error!!
>> http://www.openfileextensions.org/filext-info/how-to-fix-XRS-XRS-developed-by-XRS-windows-files-fix.html
>>
>> Another page says "If your computer cannot determine which program to
>> open .xrs file, it means that you donnot have the related software
>> which can open file extension XRS, here provides the programs to open
>> .xrs File >>read more - See more at:
>> http://file.downloadatoz.com/xrs-file-extension/#sthash.kORhGQP7.dpuf"
>>
>> LOL

I didn't point out that I found no page that gave a method for
unzipping .xrs files.

>I can right-click on the .xrs file and choose "7-Zip >> Open archive".
>I have 7-Zip installed to open ZIP files <http://www.7-zip.org/>.

And indeed, this page doesn't either. Doesnt' mention "xrs". There
must be too many extensions to list them all. Thanks.

>> >If you unzip "agent.xrs" you will see a file "accels.xrc" containing
>>
>> Ended up making a copy, changing the extension to .zip, and unzipping.
>> >the accelerators. You can open "accels.xrc" in a plain text editor
>> >like Notepad.
>>
>> I didn't know how to change the file, but assuming I knew, I'd have to
>> change it, rezip it all, change the name back to end in .xrs, and then
>> re-install Agent to have my changes take effect, is that right?
>

>... and then, replace the original agent.xrs file with the modified one
>and restart Agent to have your changes take effect

Okay.

But I guess I"m going to stop this project and stick with Key
Remapper, even if it is $24. I like that I can put volume up and
down, and mute, on any keyboard.

Ralph Fox

Oct 20, 2015, 7:00:42 AM10/20/15
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 06:37:31 -0400, Micky wrote:

> >I can right-click on the .xrs file and choose "7-Zip >> Open archive".
> >I have 7-Zip installed to open ZIP files <http://www.7-zip.org/>.
>
> And indeed, this page doesn't either. Doesnt' mention "xrs". There
> must be too many extensions to list them all. Thanks.

7-Zip checks the file's contents to see if it is a ZIP file,
no matter what extension the file has.

There are many file formats which are based on ZIP. For example,
a .epub file is a ZIP file with a specific kind of contents zipped
inside it. (Every .epub file is a ZIP file, but not every ZIP file
is an .epub file because a ZIP file need not have the right zipped
contents to make it an epub.)

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Micky

Oct 21, 2015, 2:31:17 AM10/21/15
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 00:00:50 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 06:37:31 -0400, Micky wrote:
>
>> >I can right-click on the .xrs file and choose "7-Zip >> Open archive".
>> >I have 7-Zip installed to open ZIP files <http://www.7-zip.org/>.
>>
>> And indeed, this page doesn't either. Doesnt' mention "xrs". There
>> must be too many extensions to list them all. Thanks.
>

>7-Zip checks the file's contents to see if it is a ZIP file,
>no matter what extension the file has.

Very clever.

Ralph Fox

Oct 24, 2015, 2:28:09 AM10/24/15
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 04:03:59 -0400, Micky wrote:

>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:40:45 -0400, <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Somehow I found out about auorfa.modified, and after reading a related
>>> post, I asked there, and Peter Giese and Randy aka
>>> Coi...@MindSpring.com were good enough to show me how to disable the
>>> Insert Key.
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/disable$20insert$20key/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/HRIO-7dAXWA/-Jg4CrzoRq8J
>>>
>>> It involves Resource Hacker, and the modification of Accelerators.
>>>

>>> So, like I did 5 years ago, I tried to use Resource Hacker to hack
>>> version six. But it has no Accelerators!! apparently.
>

> For the record, I don't know what wsWidgets are, or what accelerators
> are, but don't try to explain it to me. I don't have room in my head.

It really doesn't matter exactly what wxWidgets is. The key points to
absorb are these:

1) You wrote about Resource Hacker, and the modification of "Accelerators".

Don't waste your time using Resource Hacker on Agent 6.
In Agent 6, the "Accelerators" can be modified, but not with Resource Hacker.

2) You wrote about the modification of "Accelerators" to disable the Insert key,
and that you did this 5 years ago.

This is a difference between Agent 6 and Agent 1.93.

In Agent 1.93, the "Accelerators" contain entries for the Insert key.
You disabled the Insert key by modifying these entries, 5 years ago.

In Agent 6, the "Accelerators" do not contain entries for the INSERT key.
There are no entries for you to modify.

HTH HAND

--
Kind regards