Which groups are active?

Rayner Lucas

Jun 17, 2023, 4:06:05 PM6/17/23
Usenet has thousands of groups, many of which have fallen into disuse
over the years, so I thought it might help folks out to have a thread of
active groups so that newbies can find a place with some good up-to-date
discussions going on.

A few to start off with:

rec.food.cooking (Busy!)
rec.arts.sf.written

For programmers and electronics geeks:
comp.lang.python
comp.lang.perl.misc
comp.lang.c (mind the spam, but there are definitely real posters too)
sci.electronics.design
sci.electronics.basics (quiet, but there are people there)
sci.electronics.repair

And for shameless pro-Usenet advocacy, head over to alt.fan.usenet :-)

Anyone got any other favourites?

Also, any nominations for groups that could do with a little extra
attention? Any Elite Dangerous players (and/or nostalgic 80s computer
users) want to resurrect alt.fan.elite?

Rayner

cr0c0d1le

Jun 18, 2023, 12:58:22 PM6/18/23
This is very useful, thanks!

Marco Moock

Jun 24, 2023, 2:04:36 PM6/24/23
Am 17.06.2023 um 21:06:03 Uhr schrieb Rayner Lucas:

> For programmers and electronics geeks:
> comp.lang.python
> comp.lang.perl.misc
> comp.lang.c (mind the spam, but there are definitely real posters too)
> sci.electronics.design
> sci.electronics.basics (quiet, but there are people there)
> sci.electronics.repair
>
> And for shameless pro-Usenet advocacy, head over to alt.fan.usenet :-)
>
> Anyone got any other favourites?

Many stuff about Linux/Unix under comp.* and the German de.* and ger.*.

In alt there are also many Linux and computer groups.
Just look at the amount of posts.

mega888 slots

Jun 27, 2023, 9:57:20 AM6/27/23

kyonshi

Dec 28, 2023, 6:25:25 AM12/28/23
for roleplaying games the rec.games.frp.* hierarchy is still more or
less active, especially rec.games.frp.dnd, rec.games.frp.misc, and
rec.games.frp.cyber

well, I say active, but I know you get a response when you post something :D

Rayner Lucas

Jan 4, 2024, 5:44:54 PMJan 4
In article <umjlv3$bs0a$2...@dont-email.me>, gmk...@gmail.com says...

> for roleplaying games the rec.games.frp.* hierarchy is still more or
> less active, especially rec.games.frp.dnd, rec.games.frp.misc, and
> rec.games.frp.cyber
>
> well, I say active, but I know you get a response when you post something :D

Thank you, that's great to know :-)

There's another list of known-to-be-active groups here: https://www.big-
8.org/w/images/3/3e/Sample-newsrc.txt (thanks to Paul Schleck for
contributing a lot of them)

Rayner

Jan 5, 2024, 7:02:36 AMJan 5
Another piece of good advice I received elsewhere is to not be afraid of
trying to resurrect a dead group.

If you find a silent one, try writing a message and perhaps drop a line
here to see if there is any interest.

Best regards,
Daniel

Julieta Shem

Jan 5, 2024, 11:47:39 AMJan 5
For the mathematically oriented, let's resurrect

alt.algebra.help

because sci.math seems to be hopeless?

cr0c0d1le

Jan 5, 2024, 5:55:10 PMJan 5
rec.games.computer.doom.misc is still active. I will start posting more
over there to see if people are willing to join in.

kyonshi

Jan 6, 2024, 5:01:29 AMJan 6
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action is also surprisingly active