16th-century Mexican Indian map offers key to history

Jose

Aug 27, 2009, 12:51:57 AM8/27/09
Sify - ‎Aug 25, 2009‎

That sacred city and the original land of Aztlan would have been in
what is today the Southwestern US.

MC2 remained in Cuauhtinchan until 1933, the year it was sent to a
regional museum and later came into the possession of an architect.

In 2001, philanthropist Espinosa Yglesias acquired the map and shortly
afterwards contacted Harvard's Center of Latin American Studies to ask
who could analyse the map. Harvard chose Carrasco.

The result of five years of interdisciplinary studies was the
publication of the 479-page book 'Cave, City, and Eagle's Nest: An
Interpretive Journey Through the Map of Cuauhtinchan No. 2'.

Carrasco said that in 2010 the University of New Mexico, which
published the original version, will edit the version in Spanish.

'This map and the book we published to decipher it have changed our
understanding of the Mesoamerican codices and of the sacred lands of
that region,' Carrasco said.

That new understanding has political and social significance today.

'This map links the identity and politics of Mexican-Americans, that
is, the Chicano people, with the art, rituals and philosophical
practices of pre-Colombian Mexicans,' he said.

'The insistence of Mexican-American scholars and activists on using
Aztlan as their symbol is strengthened by the history recounted by
this map, since it places Mexicans in the US within a wider history of
migration, ethnic interactions, religions and rituals,' the academic
said.

MC2, according to Carrasco, links Chicanos 'with the lands where the
struggle for their freedom and rights took place before the
oppression'.

So great is the connection of this map with Chicanos that Colgate
University astronomy professor Anthony Aveni and journalist Laana
Carrasco -- David's daughter -- published a children's book telling
the story of 10-year-old Mexican-American twins who 'travel in time'
and go on pilgrimage with their ancestors 100 years before the
Spaniards arrived.

This book 'connects many of the concerns and hopes of the present-day
Chicano Movement with the cosmology and life of the ancient indigenous
Mexicans', David Carrasco said.

Together with his students and his interdisciplinary team, Carrasco
continues to study the sacred objects and numerous plants that appear
on the map.

'This map is a treasure for academics because it reveals with artistic
splendour and in detail the way of life of an Indian community that
told its own story in the midst of a serious social conflict,' he
said.

http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?a=ji0jEbjjcdb&title=16th-century_Mexican_Indian_map_offers_key_to_history

f.barnes

Aug 29, 2009, 11:11:48 AM8/29/09
On Aug 26, 11:51 pm, Jose <pabl...@todito.com> wrote:
> Sify - ‎Aug 25, 2009‎
>
> That sacred city and the original land of Aztlan would have been in
> what is today the Southwestern US.
>
> MC2 remained in Cuauhtinchan until 1933, the year it was sent to a
> regional museum and later came into the possession of an architect.
>
> In 2001, philanthropist Espinosa Yglesias acquired the map and shortly
> afterwards contacted Harvard's Center of Latin American Studies to ask
> who could analyse the map. Harvard chose Carrasco.
>
> The result of five years of interdisciplinary studies was the
> publication of the 479-page book 'Cave, City, and Eagle's Nest: An
> Interpretive Journey Through the Map of Cuauhtinchan No. 2'.
>
> Carrasco said that in 2010 the University of New Mexico, which
> published the original version, will edit the version in Spanish.
>
> 'This map and the book we published to decipher it have changed our
> understanding of the Mesoamerican codices and of the sacred lands of
> that region,' Carrasco said.

Why do other peoples have "sacred lands"? Where are the European
sacred lands? I've never heard of them.

> http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?a=ji0jEbjjcdb&title=...

POTUSKY

Aug 30, 2009, 12:13:07 AM8/30/09
f.barnes wrote:
> On Aug 26, 11:51 pm, Jose <pabl...@todito.com> wrote:
>> Sify - ‎Aug 25, 2009‎
>>
>> That sacred city and the original land of Aztlan would have been in
>> what is today the Southwestern US.
>>
>> MC2 remained in Cuauhtinchan until 1933, the year it was sent to a
>> regional museum and later came into the possession of an architect.
>>
>> In 2001, philanthropist Espinosa Yglesias acquired the map and shortly
>> afterwards contacted Harvard's Center of Latin American Studies to ask
>> who could analyse the map. Harvard chose Carrasco.
>>
>> The result of five years of interdisciplinary studies was the
>> publication of the 479-page book 'Cave, City, and Eagle's Nest: An
>> Interpretive Journey Through the Map of Cuauhtinchan No. 2'.
>>
>> Carrasco said that in 2010 the University of New Mexico, which
>> published the original version, will edit the version in Spanish.
>>
>> 'This map and the book we published to decipher it have changed our
>> understanding of the Mesoamerican codices and of the sacred lands of
>> that region,' Carrasco said.
>
> Why do other peoples have "sacred lands"? Where are the European
> sacred lands? I've never heard of them.

European sacred lands are not in Europe.

repo

Aug 30, 2009, 1:55:28 AM8/30/09
> http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?a=ji0jEbjjcdb&title=...

Yes it is a fact that Mexicans are indigenous to North America
especially the "Aztlan" region.

AndrewJH

Aug 30, 2009, 12:23:17 PM8/30/09
> >http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?a=ji0jEbjjcdb&title=...- Hide quoted text -

Its called a church. I get you as a "Christian" forgot, being as how
"Christianity" is nothing but a spiritual fraud.

Wetback Kenyan

Sep 4, 2009, 8:54:03 PM9/4/09

Do you know why mexcrements still speak Spanish and pretend to be
Spanish Dons after their great-grandparents and grandparents fought and
died to kick the Spaniard conquistadores out of Mexico?

For example, the best music from Mexico are all about Spain, Spaniards
and the Spanish Court. "Blue Spanish eyes, prettiest eyes in all of
MEXICO....." How about the musical piece "Granada?" Jeez, the Alhambra
is in Spain, not in Mexico! And Mexicans are so proud of this musician
countryman of theirs who kissed Spaniard ass. What a fucking waste as a
nation and as a people!

pakistoteles

Sep 6, 2009, 12:58:24 PM9/6/09
On Sep 4, 7:54 pm, Wetback Kenyan <wetback.ken...@casa.blanca.us>
wrote:
> nation and as a people!- Hide quoted text -

Same way shitgringos speak English (or something similar)

Alboroto

Sep 6, 2009, 6:59:10 PM9/6/09
pakistoteles escribió:

Nah, ése no ve tres en un burro.

Wetback Kenyan

Sep 15, 2009, 6:14:29 PM9/15/09

Thank you for your response proving my point. BWAHAHAHAHAHAWR!

Wetback Kenyan

Sep 15, 2009, 6:15:20 PM9/15/09
Thank you for your response that proved my point.

skm...@msn.com

Sep 15, 2009, 8:38:40 PM9/15/09
> http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?a=ji0jEbjjcdb&title=...

I don't care if ASSLAND was in my backyard. The territory that
includes 50 states belongs to the U.S. now. Take your reconquista
BS somewhere else or at least fight with bullets rather than babies to
take ASSLAND back, coward!

Alboroto

Sep 16, 2009, 5:12:31 AM9/16/09
Wetback Kenyan escribió:

Un placer que te hayas dado cuenta de que cojeas de lo que acusas.

pakistoteles

Sep 16, 2009, 6:40:07 PM9/16/09
> take ASSLAND back,  coward!- Hide quoted text -

This skm1 is a MIA; Monolingual because just speaks a plain language;
Ignorant because he does not know from where he came, does not know
who were his ancestors and he "don't care"; thus, he clearly shows
that he is an American piece of rubish. He is a MIA.

Pakistoteles.

skm...@msn.com

Sep 16, 2009, 8:02:42 PM9/16/09
> Pakistoteles.- Hide quoted text -

You can stick you insults where the sun don't shine. I am a female
not a male. There is nothing ignorant about only knowing one
language. If you don't use other languages you lose them. There is
no need for an American to learn another language unless they are
going to work in the tourist industry or plan on living or working
abroad. What the hell are you talking about that I don't know where
my ancestors are from? They were the Irish, Poles and Scots.

You are the American piece of rubbish for criticizing Americans for
learning things that help them earn a living rather than learning some
language they willl never use. No one should have any language
forced on them unless they migrate to a country who's national
language is not their won.

Alboroto

Sep 17, 2009, 6:29:48 PM9/17/09
skm...@msn.com escribió:

Ah, mira qué importante porque en vez de HE es SHE, coño, cómo cambia la
cosa, y encima tiene sangre rubia, para que tomes nota, Paco.

TJ

Sep 17, 2009, 10:50:23 PM9/17/09
On Aug 29, 11:11 am, "f.barnes" <fre...@centurytel.net> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 11:51 pm, Jose <pabl...@todito.com> wrote:
>

> Why do other peoples have "sacred lands"?  Where are the European
> sacred lands?  I've never heard of them.

Rome, for one example. Anyone Celtic on here? - sacred lands in the
UK.

pakistoteles

Sep 21, 2009, 1:38:09 PM9/21/09
On Sep 17, 5:29 pm, Alboroto <Albor...@sincorreo.com> wrote:
> skm1...@msn.com escribió:

Asi es Albo, parece que ser a SHE not a HE la protege de la
ignorancia. She does not care about culture, unless culture give her a
job. (esta en dos idiomas, linda Alboroto, para que skm1 pueda
entender algo). Touching!

Saludos,

Pakistoteles.

Wetback Kenyan

Sep 23, 2009, 10:23:44 PM9/23/09
pakistoteles wrote:

> This skm1 is a MIA; Monolingual because just speaks a plain language;
> Ignorant because he does not know from where he came, does not know
> who were his ancestors and he "don't care"; thus, he clearly shows
> that he is an American piece of rubish. He is a MIA.
>
> Pakistoteles.

You're happy being able to converse in English (language of Wetback
Country) and Spanish (language of your past masters)? BWAHAHAHAWR!
Don't you have a native language to call your own?

Dirty Sick Pig

Sep 23, 2009, 10:25:43 PM9/23/09
Wow! A mexcrement spic writing in the language of Spaniards (his former
masters)! Don't you have your own native language?

Dirty Sick Pig

Sep 23, 2009, 10:27:24 PM9/23/09
pakistoteles wrote:
> On Sep 17, 5:29 pm, Alboroto <Albor...@sincorreo.com> wrote:
>> skm1...@msn.com escribi�:

>>> On Sep 16, 3:40 pm, pakistoteles <ipa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> t -
>>

>>> You can stick you insults where the sun don't shine. I am a female
>>> not a male. There is nothing ignorant about only knowing one
>>> language. If you don't use other languages you lose them. There is
>>> no need for an American to learn another language unless they are
>>> going to work in the tourist industry or plan on living or working
>>> abroad. What the hell are you talking about that I don't know where
>>> my ancestors are from? They were the Irish, Poles and Scots.
>> Ah, mira qu� importante porque en vez de HE es SHE, co�o, c�mo cambia la

>> cosa, y encima tiene sangre rubia, para que tomes nota, Paco.
>
> Asi es Albo, parece que ser a SHE not a HE la protege de la
> ignorancia. She does not care about culture, unless culture give her a
> job. (esta en dos idiomas, linda Alboroto, para que skm1 pueda
> entender algo). Touching!
>
> Saludos,
>
> Pakistoteles.

Doesn't any spic here speak their native language? Why are you all
speaking your former Spaniard masters' language? Are you proud of this?

DSP

Begoluna

Sep 23, 2009, 11:40:30 PM9/23/09
Wetback Kenyan <wetback...@casa.blanca.us> wrote in
> pakistoteles wrote:
>
>> This skm1 is a MIA; Monolingual because just speaks a plain language;

> You're happy being able to converse in English (language of Wetback

> Country) and Spanish (language of your past masters)? BWAHAHAHAWR!
> Don't you have a native language to call your own?

Spanglish!!! :-)

=.=.=.===
Begomoon
=.=.=.===

Begoluna

Sep 23, 2009, 11:49:49 PM9/23/09
Dirty Sick Pig <herd_boar@pigs_lodge_1.org> wrote in

> Doesn't any spic here speak their native language? Why are you all
> speaking your former Spaniard masters' language? Are you proud of
> this?

Yes, no and maybe. (But not in that order...) :-)

=.=.=.=.=
Begomoon
=.=.=.=.=

Alboroto

Sep 24, 2009, 3:45:13 AM9/24/09
Dirty Sick Pig escribió:

No eres más tonto porque no se puede.

Dirty Sick Pig

Sep 24, 2009, 3:35:13 PM9/24/09

Should we call you Don Alboroto of the Court of Juan Carlos, huh?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAWR! Or should you call yourself a coconut?

Alboroto

Sep 24, 2009, 6:21:49 PM9/24/09

Quien con tontos se junta, tonterías acaba hablando.

¡Coño, José, no nos traigas estos impresentables, deja de crosputear!

pakistoteles

Sep 25, 2009, 6:58:20 PM9/25/09
On Sep 24, 2:35 pm, Dirty Sick Pig <herd_boar@pigs_lodge_1.org> wrote:
> Alboroto wrote:
> > Dirty Sick Pig escribió:
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAWR!  Or should you call yourself a coconut?- Hide quoted text -

Shut up, piece of garbage! Come back to your mobil home and slow your
cheap beer.

Begoluna

Sep 25, 2009, 7:49:26 PM9/25/09
pakistoteles <ipa...@gmail.com> wrote in news:a2b0364d-06cc-444d-b07a-

> On Sep 24, 2:35�pm, Dirty Sick Pig <herd_boar@pigs_lodge_1.org> wrote:

>> Should we call you Don Alboroto of the Court of Juan Carlos, huh?
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAWR! �Or should you call yourself a coconut?- Hide quoted

You confuse gender with sex, Miss Piggy! :-D Mistress Alboroto, get your
whip ready!!!

> Shut up, piece of garbage! Come back to your mobil home and slow your
> cheap beer.

Party??? I'll bring some donuts! :-)

=.=.=.=.=
Begomoon