Cielito Lindo translation

Eric R

Sep 11, 2002, 8:22:33 PM9/11/02
Hi. I'm a beginning Spanish speaker and a musician. I'm fond of the
Mexican folk song Cielito Lindo, so I decided to try translating it
into English, in a way that it could be sung. Here's my version: if
anyone has any suggestions as to improvements or anything I got wrong,
let me know. I've also found some additional verses since I first
encountered the song, and I'll try translating them at some point. The
original Spanish version is presented below the translation.

Cielito Lindo (Pretty Little Sky)
By Quirino Mendoza y Cortés
English translation by Eric Rosenfield, copyright 2002. Released under
the GNU Public Document License.

Translator's note: The word "cielito" literally translated into
English means "little sky". This is a very old term of endearment in
Spanish. When translated into English it's frequently rendered as
"darling" or "love" or some other similar English term. However, I
think doing so robs the song of something of it's charm; "little sky"
is one of the most interesting terms of endearment I've ever heard.
Furthermore, using it improves the rhyming scheme in English by leaps
and bounds, allowing for a fully singable English version. The only
other allowences I made for rhyme were translating "abierta" as
"ajar", and changing the exclaimation "Bien merecido!" into "He
deserves it!", which I think sounds better in English, anyway.
Otherwise, it's pretty true to the Spanish.

The song is in 3/4, played mariachi style, though I usually do it as a
6/8 American folk ballad. The chords are G, C, D.

From the brown hills, my pretty little sky, they come
A pair of black eyes, my pretty little sky, of contraband

Ay yi yi yi
Sing and don't cry
Because singing brings joy to the heart
my pretty little sky

And if your mother says, my pretty little sky, close the door
Pretend that you're closing it, my pretty little sky, but leave it
ajar

Ay yi yi yi
Sing and don't cry
Because singing brings joy to the heart
my pretty little sky

The bird that abandons, my pretty little sky, his first nest
returns to find it occupied, my pretty little sky, he deserves it!

Ay yi yi yi
Sing and don't cry
Because singing brings joy to the heart
my pretty little sky

Original:
Cielito Lindo
By Quirino Mendoza y Cortés

De la sierra morena, Cielito Lindo, vienen bajando.
Un par de ojitos negros, Cielito Lindo, de contrabando.

CORO:
¡Ay, ay, ay, ay!
Canta y no llores,
porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito Lindo, los corazones

Si tu mamá te dice, cielito lindo Cierra la puerta
haz como que la cierras, cielito lindo, y ¡déjala abierta!

CORO:
¡Ay, ay, ay, ay!
Canta y no llores,
porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito Lindo, los corazones

Pajaro que abandona, cielito lindo se primer nido...
Vuelve y lo halla ocupado, cielito lindo, ¡Bien merecido!

CORO:
¡Ay, ay, ay, ay!
Canta y no llores,
porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito Lindo, los corazones

Art

Sep 12, 2002, 5:09:13 PM9/12/02
er...@yankthechain.com (Eric R) wrote in message news:<fd98839d.02091...@posting.google.com>...

What a nice translation.
I wish I could hear you sing it.

I am a beginner, too, and I
wonder if it should be "dark hills"
or "brown hills"? Also, "su primer nido"
not "se primer nido," although I'm sure
you already knew that.

Art

tweref...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 11:45:27 PM11/29/19
It was Emma Blunt harmonizing w/actor in a movie ..the actor sang it to her friend's wedding..Soo romantic, Emily's character thinks her own wedding won't be able to compete. The end of the movie, Emily finally married, & is riding in a carriage w/groom & friends sing this Spanish song.. driving me kookoo trying to find the song. So frustrating. They surprised me with their singing ability 👏