Longest German Word?

jofl

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
I know that in German it is theoretically possible to continuously keep
adding words to create new and more descriptive words. Avoiding medical
and legal terms, what would some of the longer words be? I remember
vaguely a word describing someone's job who watched steam ships on the
Danube river which had more than one hundred letters.

Danke,

John in Baltimore

Michael Pronay

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
jofl schrieb in Nachricht <370BDCA8...@erols.com>...

Well, it all got startet with the "Erste
Donau-Dampfschiffahrts-Gesellschaft", the (Austrian) "First Danube
Steamship Company". To this company name (whithout "Erste") you could
add "Kapitän", "Anwärter", "Gehilfe" or whatever your phantasy likes.

M.

João Luiz

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Michael Pronay schrieb:

With the new Rechtschreibung to "Schifffahrt" you win an extra letter. 8-))
JL

Andreas Schwab

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
jofl <jo...@erols.com> writes:

|> I know that in German it is theoretically possible to continuously keep
|> adding words to create new and more descriptive words. Avoiding medical
|> and legal terms, what would some of the longer words be? I remember
|> vaguely a word describing someone's job who watched steam ships on the
|> Danube river which had more than one hundred letters.

Donaudampfschiff(f)ahrtskapitaensmuetze

--
Andreas Schwab "And now for something
sch...@issan.cs.uni-dortmund.de completely different"

Rainer Kuervers

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Im Beitrag <370BDCA8...@erols.com> , jofl <jo...@erols.com> schrieb:

>I know that in German it is theoretically possible to continuously keep
>adding words to create new and more descriptive words. Avoiding medical
>and legal terms, what would some of the longer words be? I remember
>vaguely a word describing someone's job who watched steam ships on the
>Danube river which had more than one hundred letters.
>

>Danke,
>
>John in Baltimore

It is a joke about this speciality in German. Indeed you can continue, but
what I recall is donaudampfschiffahrtskapitansanwärter.

Anwärter = candidate
Kapitän = captain
Schiffahrt = traffic on water
Dampf = steam, but Dampfschiff is a real word for steam boat and
dampfschiffahrt for using steam boats
Donau = Danube

You could add at least "*gattin" for "wife of".

Mark Twain made his jokes about this, but if you read some legal texts in
nowaday's German, you will find something like the "Durchführungverordnung
zur Gesetzesänderung des Gesetzes zur Abschaffung von Sprachungetümen",
which follows more the English way. The old way would be
Sprachungetümsabschaffungsgesetzesänderungsgesetzesdurchführungverordnung.
Please feel free to connect genetives as long as you want them to be, but
don't expect to be understood easily.

Rainer Kürvers

Oliver Schmidt

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänsmützenschildmodellentwerfer-
gehilfenlohnauszahlerassistentenwohnungsvermieter...

... theoretically you can continue this forever.

Oliver

João Luiz

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Andreas Schwab schrieb:

> jofl <jo...@erols.com> writes:
>
> |> I know that in German it is theoretically possible to continuously keep
> |> adding words to create new and more descriptive words. Avoiding medical
> |> and legal terms, what would some of the longer words be? I remember
> |> vaguely a word describing someone's job who watched steam ships on the
> |> Danube river which had more than one hundred letters.
>
> Donaudampfschiff(f)ahrtskapitaensmuetze

~mütze?
Nicht ~jackenknopfzeichen?

João Luiz

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Rainer Kuervers schrieb:

> Mark Twain made his jokes about this, but if you read some legal texts in

I think what he said has less to do with kilometric words than with the
Satzanordnung. As far as I remember, it was something like "you can begin a
sentence in German in England and go under the sea and only when you come
out in the coast of the USA you will be about to speak out the verb."
It's not exactly that, but something in der Richtung.

JL

Andy

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
In article <370BDCA8...@erols.com>, jofl <jo...@erols.com> writes

>I know that in German it is theoretically possible to continuously keep
>adding words to create new and more descriptive words. Avoiding medical
>and legal terms, what would some of the longer words be? I remember
>vaguely a word describing someone's job who watched steam ships on the
>Danube river which had more than one hundred letters.
>
>Danke,
>
>John in Baltimore

How about Bankozettelverteilgungsdeputationskassaoffizier, explained as
"War mit der verbrennung der aus dem Verkehr gezogenen Bankozettel
betraut (das Ertraegnis der Briefpost wurde zu einem Teil fuer die
Tilgung der Bankozettel verwendet)".

And of course any job can have a fund for the widows of former
jobholders, which would require an office, with a person in charge...
--
Andy
For Austria & its philately, Lupus, & much else visit

isw...@amalia-atm.rz.uni-frankfurt.de

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
Rainer Kuervers wrote:

<snip>

> Mark Twain made his jokes about this, but if you read some legal texts in
> nowaday's German, you will find something like the "Durchführungverordnung
> zur Gesetzesänderung des Gesetzes zur Abschaffung von Sprachungetümen",
> which follows more the English way. The old way would be
> Sprachungetümsabschaffungsgesetzesänderungsgesetzesdurchführungverordnung.
> Please feel free to connect genetives as long as you want them to be, but
> don't expect to be understood easily.

Note that you can construct words like that, but nowadays you are
supposed to insert some hyphens to make the word at least more
readable, like
Donau-Dampfschiffahrts-Gesellschafts-Kapitän
Kapital-Lebensversicherungs-Police.
Universitäts-Strahlenschutzbeauftragter

Irina

WBuet9839

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
the word u are looking for is dampfschifffahrtskapitaen
i count 25 letters though????
walter

Helmut Richter

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Peter Flass <Fl...@Leginfo.LBDC.State.NY.US> writes:

>IIRC Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellscaft (actual company name - Danube
>steamship navigation company). You can make it longer by adding
>something about the color of the captain's hat...

Asking for the longest German compound word is as meaningless as
asking for the longest English compound; both are in fact unlimited in
length, and the minor spelling difference that German compunds are
always written together of at least hyphened whereas English compounds
are mostly written as if they were separate words does not make the
question any more meaningful.

A meaningful question could be for the longest German word that was
coined for another purpose than for demonstrating how long German
compounds can become. And for *this* question, the
"Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft" (new spelling would be with "fff")
is probably indeed at the leading edge.

Helmut Richter

Martin Murray

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Peter Flass (Fl...@Leginfo.LBDC.State.NY.US) wrote:
: IIRC Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellscaft (actual company name - Danube

: steamship navigation company). You can make it longer by adding
: something about the color of the captain's hat...
: -------
: WBuet9839 wrote:
: >
: > the word u are looking for is dampfschifffahrtskapitaen

: > i count 25 letters though????
: > walter

The fact that Peter can't spell Gesellschaft and that Walter doesn't
realise that the letter count depends on whether he spells Kapitän with an
a umlaut or an ae confirms my suspicion that this is a fruitless
exercise, normally indulged in by people who think long German words are
rather funny. In fact both English and German have words for chemical
compounds, and particularly proteins, which can be several thousand
letters long.

The spaces in "Danube Steamship Navigation Company" aren't pronounced, so
it's really fairly immaterial to say that the German word is so much
longer.

Martin Murray

eklein

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
The word is a little bit longer :
DonaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftkapitänsuniformJackenknopf,
it counts ??? letters !

WBuet9839 schrieb in Nachricht
<19990416075737...@ng-fd1.aol.com>...

WBuet9839

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
could you the say:
koeln-duesseldorfer-dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenshosentraeger???
???=68 buchstaben

D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff

Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
In article <7f7edk$k0o$1...@sparcserver.lrz-muenchen.de>,
Helmut Richter <Helmut....@lrz-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Peter Flass <Fl...@Leginfo.LBDC.State.NY.US> writes:
>
>>IIRC Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellscaft (actual company name - Danube
>>steamship navigation company). You can make it longer by adding
>>something about the color of the captain's hat...
>
>Asking for the longest German compound word is as meaningless as
>asking for the longest English compound; both are in fact unlimited in
>length, and the minor spelling difference that German compunds are
>always written together of at least hyphened whereas English compounds
>are mostly written as if they were separate words does not make the
>question any more meaningful.
>
>A meaningful question could be for the longest German word that was
>coined for another purpose than for demonstrating how long German
>compounds can become. And for *this* question, the
>"Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft" (new spelling would be with "fff")
>is probably indeed at the leading edge.

Any bankers out there? I remember encountering some impressively long
financial terms. Anything with "Versicherung" and two more elements is
almost certainly in the running.

--
Daniel "Da" von Brighoff /\ Dilettanten
(de...@midway.uchicago.edu) /__\ erhebt Euch

What's News?

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
How About:

O b e r w e s e r d a m p f s c h i f f a h r t s g e s e l l s c h a f t s
k a p i t ä n

João Luiz

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
What's News? schrieb:

> How About:
>
> O b e r w e s e r d a m p f s c h i f f a h r t s g e s e l l s c h a f t s
> k a p i t ä n

Longer: Unterweser..schifffahrts...

JL

D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
In article <7g2ck4$rbc$1...@barcode.tesco.net>,

What's News? <no.ad...@the.moment> wrote:
>How About:
>
>O b e r w e s e r d a m p f s c h i f f a h r t s g e s e l l s c h a f t s
>k a p i t ä n

What about it? Have you actually seen it before in print, or did you just
make it up?

As has been said many times already, making arbitrarily long German com-
pounds is not difficult. It's much more of a challenge to try to find
ones that are in actual use, like 'Grossforschungseinrichtung' or 'Wert-
papierhandelsgesetz'.

Oliver Sieks

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
de...@midway.uchicago.edu (D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff) writes:

> In article <7g2ck4$rbc$1...@barcode.tesco.net>,
> What's News? <no.ad...@the.moment> wrote:
> >How About:
> >
> >O b e r w e s e r d a m p f s c h i f f a h r t s g e s e l l s c h a f t s
> >k a p i t ä n
>
> What about it? Have you actually seen it before in print, or did you just
> make it up?

Außerdem hat die Weser gar keinen Oberlauf ;)

> As has been said many times already, making arbitrarily long German com-
> pounds is not difficult. It's much more of a challenge to try to find
> ones that are in actual use, like 'Grossforschungseinrichtung' or 'Wert-
> papierhandelsgesetz'.

Volumenausdehnungskoeffizient.

Oliver

João Luiz

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Oliver Sieks schrieb:

Anything beginning with Bundes... and ending with ...ausschuß.

JL

D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
In article <3725E1F4...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>,

Sorry, the best I can do with those rules is
"Bundeswirtschaftsministerium." There's *got* to be a longer one than
that.

Ingmar Greil

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Thus spake D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff <de...@midway.uchicago.edu>:

>As has been said many times already, making arbitrarily long German com-
>pounds is not difficult. It's much more of a challenge to try to find
>ones that are in actual use, like 'Grossforschungseinrichtung' or 'Wert-
>papierhandelsgesetz'.

is stumbled across "Zugendzielanzeigeeinrichtung" the other day.
honest.

--
Ingmar Greil <ingmar...@gmx.at>
PGP: 0x47CE9EA5 | http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9400733/pgp.asc

eniofo

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Ich glaube, dass das longer Wort
"Derdonaudampschiffartsgesellschaftkapitain" ist.
Tschiuss
Daniele
Italy

João Luiz ha scritto nel messaggio
<3724C627...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>...
>What's News? schrieb:

>> How About:
>>
>> O b e r w e s e r d a m p f s c h i f f a h r t s g e s e l l s c h a f t
>> k a p i t ä n
>

>Longer: Unterweser..schifffahrts...
>
>JL

Michael Pronay

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
eniofo schrieb in Nachricht
<7gtuuj$2ss$1...@nslave1.tin.it>...

>Ich glaube, dass das longer Wort
>"Derdonaudampschiffartsgesellschaftkapitain" ist.

^^^

"Der" is an article ("the" = "il"). For the Rest:

Donaudamp_f_schiffa_h_rtsgesellschaft_s_kapit_ä_n.

Auguri,
Michael

João Luiz

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Michael Pronay schrieb:

..schif_f_fahrts..

"New German" as somebody wrote somewhere here.
JL

> Auguri,
> Michael

Michael Pronay

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
João Luiz schrieb in Nachricht
<3733590E...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>...

> ..schif_f_fahrts..
>"New German" as somebody wrote somewhere here.

Both versions are correct until 2002, iirc. From then on,
only "-fff-".

M.

João Luiz

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
Michael Pronay schrieb:

As somebody said, "new German".
I prefer the version with 3 f's. (I'm an Ausländer who couldn't at first
find what "Essel" is - I thought Brennessel was separated like Brenn-Essel
and it took me a time to discover it was Brenn-Nessel. I don't know what
Germans think about it, but this is a point of the neue Rechtschreibung
I pretty love.)

JL

je...@bellsystem.com

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
hmm....
Daß aussehen mehr wie 8 Wörter zusammen an mir hafteten. Wie neugierig.
:-P

Cheers!
-Jeff
je...@bellsystem.com

eniofo <eni...@tin.it> wrote in message news:7gtuuj$2ss$1...@nslave1.tin.it...

> Ich glaube, dass das longer Wort
> "Derdonaudampschiffartsgesellschaftkapitain" ist.

Hugh Birkenhead

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Das längste Wort in der Sprache, glaube ich, ist:

Vierwäldstätterseedampfschiffskapitänsmützensternlein

(Bitte, entschultidigung, wenn jenes Wort nicht richtig geschrieben worden
wäre... ich bin Englander)

Hugo Birkenkopf :)

(//trnxby)

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

Das längste Wort in der Sprache, glaube ich, kann mann in ''Guiness
Worldbook of Records'' finden.

...es tut mir leid... mein Deutsch ist schlimm... aber das Wort ist
viele Hunderten Charaktern und es beschreibt einen ArmeeGewehrTank.

Mike
Viel Gruss aus Dallas, TX, USA
---------------------------------------

Scott Skinner

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99

> Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft

What is the longest German word that is in common use AND which is not a
proper noun, or contain as one of its compounds a proper noun?

I wonder...

-S

Thomas Schenk

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Scott Skinner wrote:

> > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft

Also spelt Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft

Thomas Schenk

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Thomas Schenk wrote:

> Scott Skinner wrote:
> >
> > > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft
>
> Also spelt Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft

Übrigens...üblicherweise fügt man "Kapitän" hinzu:
"Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"

D. Edward Gund v. Brighoff

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <sskinner-260...@sskinner.dialup.cloud9.net>,
Scott Skinner <sski...@cloud9.net> wrote:

>> Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft

>What is the longest German word that is in common use AND which is not a
>proper noun, or contain as one of its compounds a proper noun?
>
>I wonder...

I sent out a call for them a few months ago on this newsgroup and got
basically no response. I wish I could find the financial services bro-
chure my honey got a while back. It had some likely candidates.

Harald Brinck

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Hallo !
Am 27.06.1999 schrieb Thomas Schenk:

TS> Übrigens...üblicherweise fügt man "Kapitän" hinzu:
TS> "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"

Das hört sich so an, als ginge es um den Kapitän einer Gesellschaft !
<g>
Müsste es nicht
"Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsvorstandsvorsitzender"
oder so heissen ? :-))

Gruss,
Harald

Scott Skinner

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <FDz1...@midway.uchicago.edu>, de...@midway.uchicago.edu (D.

Edward Gund v. Brighoff) wrote:

>I sent out a call for them a few months ago on this newsgroup and got
>basically no response. I wish I could find the financial services bro-
>chure my honey got a while back. It had some likely candidates.

This one is from Mark Twain: Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen

It has the advantage of being a common noun that is not proper (ie., it is
neither a person nor a place nor a title nor a position nor the name of a
business, etc.).

-S

Thomas Schenk

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99

Donaudampfschifffahrtsaktiengesellschaftskapitänswitwenrentenversicherunganstaltssachbearbeitungs-
gremiumsvorsitzender ?

Tom

Thomas Schenk

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
"João Luiz" wrote:

> Thomas Schenk schrieb:
> +switwenrentenversicherung?

Nein. "...Witwen-Renten-Versicherungs..."

Ich sehe nun aber, es fehlt dem Wort ein wichtiges "s".

Actually not. I do see, however,, that the word is missing an
important "s".

Donaudampfschifffahrtsaktiengesellschaftskapitänswitwenrentenversicherungsanstaltssachbearbeitungs-
gremiumsvorsitzender

Tom

João Luiz

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Thomas Schenk schrieb:

> Harald Brinck wrote:
> >
> > Hallo !
> > Am 27.06.1999 schrieb Thomas Schenk:
> >
> > TS> Übrigens...üblicherweise fügt man "Kapitän" hinzu:
> > TS> "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"
> >
> > Das hört sich so an, als ginge es um den Kapitän einer Gesellschaft !
> > <g>
> > Müsste es nicht
> > "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsvorstandsvorsitzender"
> > oder so heissen ? :-))
>
> Donaudampfschifffahrtsaktiengesellschaftskapitänswitwenrentenversicherunganstaltssachbearbeitungs-
> gremiumsvorsitzender ?
+switwenrentenversicherung?

> Tom
JL

George F. Hardy

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <3776B1A7...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>, "João Luiz" <JoaoLuiz...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE> says:

> +switwenrentenversicherung?

s-witwen-renten-versicherung.

GFH

Harald Manninga

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
João Luiz wrote:

> Thomas Schenk schrieb:
> >
> > Harald Brinck wrote:
> > >
> > > Hallo !

> > > Das hört sich so an, als ginge es um den Kapitän

> > > <g>einer Gesellschaft !
> > > Müsste es nicht
> > > "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsvorstandsvorsitz

> > > ender"
> > > oder so heissen ? :-))
> >
> > Donaudampfschifffahrtsaktiengesellschaftskapitänswitwen
> > rentenversicherunganstaltssachbearbeitungs-
> > gremiumsvorsitzender ?
> +switwenrentenversicherung?

Kaptitäns/witwen/renten/....

Oder was war das Problem?

Grysze

Harry
--
But aside from that, everything is all right, isn't it?
Basil Fawlty

Hajo Pflueger

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99

Scott Skinner wrote:

> > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft
>
> What is the longest German word that is in common use AND which is not a
> proper noun, or contain as one of its compounds a proper noun?

well, there is always a longer word as you can see... but the longest
one where no letter is used twice is

Heizölrückstoßabdämpfung

(hope you get the "a with two points" etc. right)

Cheatah

--
I am a signature-virus. Why not copy me into your sig?
Come to Cheatah's World at http://cheatah.net/

N. Aliics

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
fon sski...@cloud9.net (Scott Skinner) :

>This one is from Mark Twain: Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen

glaube nicht , daß dies ein deutsches Wort ist ,
weil ich mir nämlich nicht denken , was es bedeuten könnte

Heißt es vielleicht "Generalstabsabgeordnetenversammlungen" ?

-isnèmásígnadù-
sogò$u'inbâçdrinatkâmanítsá'ônewáwa
untfüü'éndatsi'anetbisma'untdat'étkimt

N. Aliics

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
fon Thomas Schenk <toms...@earthlink.net> :

>Donaudampfschifffahrtsaktiengesellschaftskapitänswitwenrentenversicherungsanstaltssachbearbeitungs-
>gremiumsvorsitzender

konstruieren kann man alles mögliche , aber ob dies dann auch wirklich etwas ist
was in irgendeinen Nachschlagewerk steht oder sonst schon einmal irgendwo
vorgekommen ist , ist zu bezweifeln

Wer kennt eigentlich das Buch " der "satanarcheolügenialalkohöllische"
Wunschpunsch " ? - eines von Michael Endes letzten

Außerdem sind solche Monsterkonstruktionen auch im Englischen möglich .
Die Englischen brauchen sich also gar nicht aufregen , daß es so etwas ähnliches
auch im Deutschen gibt . Und außerdem gibt es im Englischen sowieso mehr
zusammengesetzte Wörter als im Deutschen - schon alleine wegen dem Wegfall
der meisten Flexionen - und außerdem verwenden die Englischen
wie auch andere Ausländer , die deutsch lernen , selbstzusammengesetzte Wörter
um vieles häufiger als dies Leute mit deutscher Muttersprache tun , weil sie
sich die Endungen für die Adjektive nicht merken wollen oder können .

ist sowieso egal , weil es sollte eigentlich ohnehin keiner deutsch lernen ,
weil sich dies nur nachteilig auf die Deutschen auswirkt

die Amerikaner lernten zum Beispiel die Sprachen der Indianer - was zur Folge
hatte , daß es jetzt fast keine Indianer mehr in den Vereinigten Staaten gibt

bin neugrieg was passieren wird wenn jeder Ami spanisch spricht ;

Arebenti

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Vielleicht:

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän (ohne Rechtschreibreform fff) :-)

It is just an example of combination of words in german, it is good, compare
it to the english or italian translation!

hmm, try to translate it and you will know!!

Scott Skinner <sski...@cloud9.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
sskinner-260...@sskinner.dialup.cloud9.net...

> > Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft
>
> What is the longest German word that is in common use AND which is not a
> proper noun, or contain as one of its compounds a proper noun?
>

> I wonder...
>
> -S

tanz...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2018, 8:10:37 AM3/4/18
Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellschaftskapitaensmuetzenknopf. :-)
Referring to ( backwards!) The button on the cap of the captain of the association for danube steamship cruises
Lol

Helmut Richter

Mar 4, 2018, 4:09:10 PM3/4/18
On Sun, 4 Mar 2018, tanz...@gmail.com wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 05:10:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: tanz...@gmail.com
> Newsgroups: alt.usage.german
> Subject: Longest German Word?
>
> Donaudampfschifffahrtgesellschaftskapitaensmuetzenknopf. :-)
> Referring to ( backwards!) The button on the cap of the captain of the association for danube steamship cruises

The question of the longest German word is moot as every word can be
lengthened by adding one more component at the end, for instance
"Donau...knopffarbe" = "colour of the button ...".

The word is famous because the first part
"Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft" was really in use, as it was the name
of a steamboat company.

For a longer German compound that was actually in use, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderkennzeichnungs-_und_Rindfleischetikettierungs%C3%BCberwachungsaufgaben%C3%BCbertragungsgesetz

--
Helmut Richter

Andy

Mar 5, 2018, 2:27:35 PM3/5/18
In message <alpine.DEB.2.20.1803042200550.982@kiboko>, Helmut Richter
<hr.u...@email.de> wrote
[]
>For a longer German compound that was actually in use, see
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderkennzeichnungs-_und_Rindfleischetike
>ttierungs%C3%BCberwachungsaufgaben%C3%BCbertragungsgesetz

My Austrian favourite is Bancozettelvertilgungsdeputationskassaoffizier
which is the official responsible for the incineration of banknotes
withdrawn from circulation.

No doubt he had a widow, who had a pension, which had a manager, who had
a cat, which had a feeding bowl ... but the word above was in official
use in the Post Office.
--
Andy Taylor [Editor & Treasurer, Austrian Philatelic Society].
Visit www dot austrianphilately dot com