chip-awl-ty salt and pepper (Chipotle)

bruce bowser

Aug 31, 2021, 8:51:46 AM8/31/21
Putting simple packages of salt and pepper seems to be a problem at chip-awl-tee. Just like giving you a simple package of is mustard at Burger King or McDonald's is. Has anyone else noticed that? Why is that?

bruce bowser

Aug 31, 2021, 11:37:40 AM8/31/21
On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 11:16:33 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 9:45:37 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > Covid-19. And I really think it should be obvious. They are using Covid-19
> > as an excuse to erode every perquisite we enjoy in society Today.
> >
> > Why do you pronounce it with L before T? Just about every word we get
> > from Nahautl has the T before the L.
>
> Because he's a smartass.

But no, that's how I heard police or federal investigators pronounce Chipotle. One of them said 'chip-awl-tee'. I'm certain of it.
> > And I believe that applies to 'Atlas / Atlantic / Atlantis' as well.
> > Atlantis is obviously a derivative of 'Ixtlan', which is a real place in
> > Mexico.
> Um, no. It's from Greek:
>
> Atlas was a Titan in Greek mythology. Nothing to do with Mesoamerica.
>
> Atlantic:
> late Middle English: via Latin from Greek Atlantikos, from Atlas, Atlant- (see atlas). The term originally referred to the Atlas Mountains in North Africa, hence to the sea near the west African coast, later extended to the whole ocean.
>
> Atlantis:
> Derived from the Greek Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος meaning “island of Atlas,”
>
> Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Aug 31, 2021, 2:29:58 PM8/31/21
On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 1:06:43 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 11:37:17 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Because he's a smartass.
> > But no, that's how I heard police or federal investigators pronounce Chipotle. One of them said 'chip-awl-tee'. I'm certain of it.
> Doesn't matter how they said it. The correct pronunciation is chi-pote-lay.
> Emphasis on the second syllable.

Its as if people are so stupid that they can't even see the letters that spell chi - POWT - lay. I don't know what the problem is.

bruce bowser

Sep 9, 2021, 12:33:02 PM9/9/21
On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 11:21:24 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> In article <shctt4$fbc$1...@dont-email.me>, g.ma...@att.net says...
> > This is a funny argument to me...how to pronouce "chipotle," because
> > I've *always* pronounced it wrong. Luckily never said to anyone though,
> > just how I pronounce it in my mind.
> >
> > I say/think Chip-ol-tay.
> >
> > That's probably wrong but maybe not?
> >
> it's wrong, because you have transposed L and T.

See what I mean, everyone?

bruce bowser

Sep 9, 2021, 12:39:22 PM9/9/21
On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 12:35:35 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 16:21:15 +0100, Janet wrote:
>
> > In article <shctt4$fbc$1...@dont-email.me>, g.ma...@att.net says...
> >> This is a funny argument to me...how to pronouce "chipotle," because
> >> I've *always* pronounced it wrong. Luckily never said to anyone though,
> >> just how I pronounce it in my mind.
> >>
> >> I say/think Chip-ol-tay.
> >>
> >> That's probably wrong but maybe not?
> >>
> > it's wrong, because you have transposed L and T.
> >
> > You also write "bullion" for bouillon, which suggests you also
> > mispronounce bouillon.
> >
> > Janet UK
>
> and nuclear!

You mean *nukyalar*?

bruce bowser

Sep 10, 2021, 11:41:07 AM9/10/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 11:28:25 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> In article <023dcc68-9850-42dc...@googlegroups.com>,
> odl...@gmail.com says...

> > > and nuclear!
> >
> > Mispronouncing chipotle is somewhat understandable (though not forgivable)
> because words with a syllable ending in T followed a syllable beginning
> with L are uncommon in English.
> Really.
>
> Thoughtess witless bottled, wrestler, bristle, settlement, battleship,
> weightless
> > Likewise, misspelling bouillon is not uncommon because those three
> > vowels aren't often found together in English.
> Yet English people manage to spell and pronounce bouillon.
>
> It's Americans who can't.

English people can also *literally* see the coast of France (from Folkstone). Americans can't do that, either. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Paul Wolff

Sep 10, 2021, 6:23:13 PM9/10/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021, at 08:41:04, bruce bowser <bruce2...@gmail.com>:
>On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 11:28:25 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
>> odl...@gmail.com says...
>> > Likewise, misspelling bouillon is not uncommon because those three
>> > vowels aren't often found together in English.
>> Yet English people manage to spell and pronounce bouillon.
>>
>> It's Americans who can't.
>
>English people can also *literally* see the coast of France (from
>Folkstone). Americans can't do that, either. Maybe that has something
>to do with it.

Yes - and when "the coast is clear", that means you can get away with
doing whatever you like.
--
Paul

J. J. Lodder

Sep 11, 2021, 5:24:12 AM9/11/21
The King's customs cutters were out of sight,

Jan

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 11, 2021, 5:42:10 AM9/11/21
My greatgreatgreatgrandfather was captain of one of them. He got beaten
up on several occasions by smugglers in thev illage where he lived. On
one voyage one of his sailors was killed.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 11, 2021, 5:47:01 AM9/11/21
On 2021-09-11 09:24:08 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:

> Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

>>> English people can also *literally* see the coast of France (from
>>> Folkstone). Americans can't do that, either.

Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
Not impossible from Little Diomede, but I don't suppose she ever went
there, except perhaps to shoot polar bears from her aeroplane.

>>> Maybe that has something
>>> to do with it.
>>
>> Yes - and when "the coast is clear", that means you can get away with
>> doing whatever you like.
>
> The King's customs cutters were out of sight,
>
> Jan

J. J. Lodder

Sep 11, 2021, 6:46:54 AM9/11/21
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> On 2021-09-11 09:24:08 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:
>
> > Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
> Not impossible from Little Diomede, but I don't suppose she ever went
> there, except perhaps to shoot polar bears from her aeroplane.

Aeroplane? That would be too difficult for her.
True sportswomen do it from a helicopter,

Jan

Lewis

Sep 11, 2021, 3:03:41 PM9/11/21
In message <iq3c8f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> On 2021-09-11 09:24:08 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:

>> Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.

From her home in Alaska.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Wuh, I think so, Brain, but I prefer Space Jelly."

Jerry Friedman

Sep 11, 2021, 5:56:33 PM9/11/21
On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 1:03:41 PM UTC-6, Lewis wrote:
> In message <iq3c8f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> > Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.

> From her home in Alaska.

Neither of the above. She said you could see Russia from an Alaskan
island, which is true, though it didn't make her qualified to be vice-
president.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sarah-palin-russia-house/

--
Jerry Friedman

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 12, 2021, 3:33:33 AM9/12/21
On 2021-09-11 19:03:37 +0000, Lewis said:

> In message <iq3c8f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden
> <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
>
> From her home in Alaska.

Yes, I know, but I was doing a PTD, consciously distorting her words.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 12, 2021, 3:35:34 AM9/12/21
So maybe I was right after all, and I accepted Lewis's correction too readily.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 12, 2021, 8:36:38 AM9/12/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 3:33:33 AM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2021-09-11 19:03:37 +0000, Lewis said:
> > In message <iq3c8f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden
> > <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> >> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
> > From her home in Alaska.

No.

> Yes, I know, but I was doing a PTD, consciously distorting her words.

Oh, now you've decided to label your behavior with my initials?

"Lewis" would be a better label for that.

CDB

Sep 12, 2021, 8:55:24 AM9/12/21
On 9/11/2021 5:56 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>>> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from
>>> Alaska.

>> From her home in Alaska.

> Neither of the above. She said you could see Russia from an Alaskan
> island, which is true, though it didn't make her qualified to be
> vice- president.

But an Amazon, maybe? I understand she had only one Bristol.

> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sarah-palin-russia-house/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 12, 2021, 2:34:55 PM9/12/21
On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:33:27 +0200
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> On 2021-09-11 19:03:37 +0000, Lewis said:
>
> > In message <iq3c8f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden
> > <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> >> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from
> >> Alaska.
> >
> > From her home in Alaska.
>
> Yes, I know, but I was doing a PTD, consciously distorting her words.

No, to my mind "doing a PTD" is blustering that he didn't mean, or rather that *you* have reading comprehension difficulties, and, anyway, what about these other goalposts? and you said something wrong 20 posts back anyhow. Or maybe you're bullying him just because he called you a moron.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 12, 2021, 3:41:03 PM9/12/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 2:34:55 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:33:27 +0200
> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>
> > On 2021-09-11 19:03:37 +0000, Lewis said:

> > > From her home in Alaska.
> > Yes, I know, but I was doing a PTD, consciously distorting her words.
>
> No, to my mind "doing a PTD" is blustering that he didn't mean, or rather that *you* have reading comprehension difficulties,

No; that _Cooper_ has reading difficulties. Unfortunately, you, Mudd,
accept everything he says as gospel, and that is your main problem.

> and, anyway, what about these other goalposts? and you said something wrong 20 posts back anyhow. Or maybe you're bullying him just because he called you a moron.

"Cretin" now fits better.

Tak To

Sep 13, 2021, 2:42:25 PM9/13/21
On 9/11/2021 6:46 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>
>> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
>> Not impossible from Little Diomede, but I don't suppose she ever went
>> there, except perhaps to shoot polar bears from her aeroplane.
>
> Aeroplane? That would be too difficult for her.
> True sportswomen do it from a helicopter,

Small airplane is a mundane mode of transportation in Alaska.
Many people own small airplanes.

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

J. J. Lodder

Sep 13, 2021, 4:02:58 PM9/13/21
Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

> On 9/11/2021 6:46 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
> >> Not impossible from Little Diomede, but I don't suppose she ever went
> >> there, except perhaps to shoot polar bears from her aeroplane.
> >
> > Aeroplane? That would be too difficult for her.
> > True sportswomen do it from a helicopter,
>
> Small airplane is a mundane mode of transportation in Alaska.
> Many people own small airplanes.

Yes, and your point is?

Jan

Snidely

Sep 13, 2021, 9:01:43 PM9/13/21
J. J. Lodder explained :
Many more people in Alaska have experience with small planes than with
helicopters, I'm thinking. And certainly the small plane will be
cheaper to hire than the helicopter.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler

Snidely

Sep 13, 2021, 10:31:03 PM9/13/21
Snidely suggested that ...
> J. J. Lodder explained :
>> Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

>>> Small airplane is a mundane mode of transportation in Alaska.
>>> Many people own small airplanes.
>>
>> Yes, and your point is?
>
> Many more people in Alaska have experience with small planes than with
> helicopters, I'm thinking. And certainly the small plane will be cheaper to
> hire than the helicopter.

Of course, if your point is that Palin or a True Sportswoman needs all
the help that money can buy, the rental costs will be neglible compared
the payoff of bragging rights.

(In Oregon, roughly a decade ago, helicopter pilots were getting $400
an hour for transporting Christmas trees from the stump to the loading
dock.)

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 14, 2021, 1:24:19 AM9/14/21
On 2021-09-13 18:42:19 +0000, Tak To said:

> On 9/11/2021 6:46 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Nonetheless, Sarah Palin claimed to be able to see Russia from Alaska.
>>> Not impossible from Little Diomede, but I don't suppose she ever went
>>> there, except perhaps to shoot polar bears from her aeroplane.
>>
>> Aeroplane? That would be too difficult for her.
>> True sportswomen do it from a helicopter,

This has prompted me to see what the reports actually said. This is one:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2008/oct/01/defenders-wildlife-action-fund-defenders-wildlife-/palin-supports-aerial-shooting-for-a-reason/

No mention of helicopters.

> Small airplane is a mundane mode of transportation in Alaska.
> Many people own small airplanes.

J. J. Lodder

Sep 14, 2021, 4:11:38 AM9/14/21
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> On 2021-09-13 18:42:19 +0000, Tak To said:

> >> Aeroplane? That would be too difficult for her.
> >> True sportswomen do it from a helicopter,
>
> This has prompted me to see what the reports actually said. This is one:
>
> https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2008/oct/01/defenders-wildlife-action-fu
nd-defenders-wildlife-/palin-supports-aerial-shooting-for-a-reason/

> No mention of helicopters.

Also no mention of Palin herself shooting anything,
it is about professional game wardens doing it.

Here is dear Sarah herself at it.
<https://www.reddit.com/r/fakehistoryporn/comments/9h1y83/helicopter_hunting_with_sarah_palin_2008_colorized/>
Even from a helicopter it was too hard for her to do it right,

Jan

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 14, 2021, 4:45:40 AM9/14/21
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/fakehistoryporn/comments/9h1y83/helicopter_hunting_with_sarah_palin_2008_colorized/>i
>
> Even from a helicopter it was too hard for her to do it right,

One thing I wonder is this. If John Cain had been elected and died in
office (neither of these impossible, or even improbable) she would have
become president. Could she have managed to be even worse than the
orange guy who lost in 2020?

Snidely

Sep 14, 2021, 7:14:18 AM9/14/21
bruce bowser used thar keyboard to writen:

> Putting simple packages of salt and pepper seems to be a problem at
> chip-awl-tee.

When they've been put simple, they are still too smart to allow you to
reach them.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 14, 2021, 9:23:21 AM9/14/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 10:31:03 PM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:

> (In Oregon, roughly a decade ago, helicopter pilots were getting $400
> an hour for transporting Christmas trees from the stump to the loading
> dock.)

How many tree-corpses at a time, and how many trips could they make per hour?

bruce bowser

Sep 14, 2021, 5:11:30 PM9/14/21
And how much does the helicopter mechanic and helicopter hangar charge to keep the helicopter?

S K

Sep 14, 2021, 5:33:58 PM9/14/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 9:23:21 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
christmas tree as "tree corpse"

clever and funny - NOT.
revealing - yes.

gentile infants refuse to understand but cannot deny the palpable toothache-like discomfort the sending evokes.

Snidely

Sep 14, 2021, 6:22:08 PM9/14/21
On Tuesday, bruce bowser yelped out that:
Whatever those numbers, the tree farmer made out. All of which
suggests Chrismas Trees are big business.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Tak To

Sep 14, 2021, 8:30:21 PM9/14/21
Planes are more likely to be used in Alaska than helicopters,
especially when the context is hunting for wolves for bounties,
as opposed to sports hunting for the super rich.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/09/what-s-aerial-wolf-gunning-and-why-does-vice-presidential-sarah-palin-support-the-practice.html

] Airborne hunters tend to fly single-engine Super Cub planes
] at very low speeds and at altitudes of less than 100
] feet—sometimes swooping down to 10 to 15 feet above the
] ground.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 15, 2021, 9:27:46 AM9/15/21
The soaring price of Christmas trees at the corner lots has
been making the news in recent Yuletides.

J. J. Lodder

Sep 15, 2021, 2:27:51 PM9/15/21
Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

> On 9/13/2021 4:02 PM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

> >> Small airplane is a mundane mode of transportation in Alaska.
> >> Many people own small airplanes.
> >
> > Yes, and your point is?
>
> Planes are more likely to be used in Alaska than helicopters,
> especially when the context is hunting for wolves for bounties,
> as opposed to sports hunting for the super rich.

Your sarcasm detector is completely broken?

Jan

> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/09/what-s-aerial-wolf-gunning-and-why

David Kleinecke

Sep 15, 2021, 3:10:22 PM9/15/21
And some of us tree-huggers rejoice. Maybe that silly custom will
price itself out of existence.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 15, 2021, 5:02:19 PM9/15/21
The Sisters used to raise Christmas trees on their Upstate farm. It took
three years for them to reach living-room size, so they planted in rotation,
and presumably followed sustainabiity practices even in the 1970s-80s.

These days they grow smaller, more marketable crops, though perhaps
not in great quantity the last two seasons.

https://www.chssisters.org/

Oddly, the photo on the home page is of the Columbarium, the final
resting place of their ashes.

Tak To

Sep 15, 2021, 6:40:49 PM9/15/21
On 9/15/2021 2:27 PM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

>>> Yes, and your point is?
>>
>> Planes are more likely to be used in Alaska than helicopters,
>> especially when the context is hunting for wolves for bounties,
>> as opposed to sports hunting for the super rich.
>
> Your sarcasm detector is completely broken?

No; yours apparently.

>> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/09/what-s-aerial-wolf-gunning-and-why
> -does-vice-presidential-sarah-palin-support-the-practice.html
>>
>> ] Airborne hunters tend to fly single-engine Super Cub planes
>> ] at very low speeds and at altitudes of less than 100
>> ] feet—sometimes swooping down to 10 to 15 feet above the
>> ] ground.

CDB

Sep 16, 2021, 8:03:15 AM9/16/21
On 9/15/2021 6:40 PM, Tak To wrote:
> J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Tak To <ta...@alum.mit.eduxx> wrote:

>>> Planes are more likely to be used in Alaska than helicopters,
>>> especially when the context is hunting for wolves for bounties,
>>> as opposed to sports hunting for the super rich.

>> Your sarcasm detector is completely broken?

> No; yours apparently.

Think Valkyrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn37QfXw1-E

Tak To

Sep 16, 2021, 1:21:37 PM9/16/21
On 9/16/2021 8:03 AM, CDB wrote:
> On 9/15/2021 6:40 PM, Tak To wrote:
>> J. J. Lodder wrote:

>>> Your sarcasm detector is completely broken?
>
>> No; yours apparently.
>
> Think Valkyrie.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn37QfXw1-E

(I take that as a form of explanation for JJ's reference to
helicopters. If not, my apology.)

Do you not distinguish *attempts of* witticism from *achieved*
witticism? Or outrageousness from irony?

FWIW, sorry, pinX extras in coolie hats to me are just pinX
extras in coolie hats.

bruce bowser

Sep 16, 2021, 1:45:10 PM9/16/21
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:02:19 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 3:10:22 PM UTC-4, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > The soaring price of Christmas trees at the corner lots has
> > > been making the news in recent Yuletides.
> >
> > And some of us tree-huggers rejoice. Maybe that silly custom will
> > price itself out of existence.
> The Sisters used to raise Christmas trees on their Upstate farm. It took
> three years for them to reach living-room size, so they planted in rotation,
> and presumably followed sustainabiity practices even in the 1970s-80s.

According to 1970's standards, probably

Sam Plusnet

Sep 16, 2021, 4:47:22 PM9/16/21
On 15/09/2021 22:02, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> The Sisters used to raise Christmas trees on their Upstate farm. It took
> three years for them to reach living-room size, so they planted in rotation,
> and presumably followed sustainabiity practices even in the 1970s-80s.

The only difference between growing trees (for Christmas display or
woodpulp) and wheat or maize is the delay between planting and harvest.

David Kleinecke

Sep 16, 2021, 7:24:22 PM9/16/21
Interesting lack of differentiation. In my world, trees are quite a different
matter than short-lived plants. The lifetime is what makes the difference to
me (I remember the first winter after my canyon had burned over. There
were man-roots sprouting everywhere. Even though they are underground
tubers I classify man-roots with trees.)

Do you imagine it an accident I live were I do?

CDB

Sep 17, 2021, 8:02:19 AM9/17/21
On 9/16/2021 1:21 PM, Tak To wrote:
That was indeed my attempt to explain JJ's mention of helicopters.

> Do you not distinguish *attempts of* witticism from *achieved*
> witticism? Or outrageousness from irony?

I think I take them on a case-by-case basis.

> FWIW, sorry, pinX extras in coolie hats to me are just pinX extras
> in coolie hats.

Think lesser creatures to be removed for the convenience of those who
matter. Think wolves.

bruce bowser

Sep 18, 2021, 12:30:15 PM9/18/21
'Matter' to who?

CDB

Sep 19, 2021, 7:37:39 AM9/19/21
To our overweening bald-monkey race, as represented by Americans (in the
case of the film) or Alaskans (in the case of Ms Palin and her friends).

bruce bowser

Sep 19, 2021, 11:45:50 AM9/19/21
Places much older than North American societies have had their moments, too.

Tak To

Sep 19, 2021, 1:09:29 PM9/19/21
The issues of balancing the population of wolves/caribous/
moose in Alaska preserves are complex; so are those of
if/how/what's of preserving the tradition of hunting in a
modern society.

Since real sports hunters in fact objected all aerial hunts
(no spirit) and bounty hunters could not afford helicopters,
JJ's comment fit neither, nor for that matter Palin.

The best thing one can say about JJ's comment is that he
appeared to be underinformed.

>> FWIW, sorry, pinX extras in coolie hats to me are just pinX extras
>> in coolie hats.
>
> Think lesser creatures to be removed for the convenience of those who
> matter. Think wolves.

The issues of the Vietnam War are even more complex. Vietnam
was not the Congo of Conrad's time. Communism is a white
men's thing whereas capitalism is native, to say the very
least.

In my view, Coppola picked the wrong metaphor and the choice
itself echoed the inherent racism in the Conrad's view of
things. Duvall's character was a strawman on top of an over-
simplification. The famed scene is as horrific as any from
a good horror movie. YMMV.

Snidely

Sep 19, 2021, 4:13:35 PM9/19/21
bruce bowser asserted that:
It's a recurring theme. Vasco da Gama wasn't just an explorer but a
"cleanser", and that's after 3000-4000 years of Mediterranean examples.

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

CDB

Sep 20, 2021, 8:57:08 AM9/20/21
Not by much. The scene was horrific, especially in their cheerful
enjoyment of the task, and in the viewers' knowledge that the soldiers
had not even any chance of accomplishing their objective.

The same is true of attempting to control prey-predator balance by
killing predators. Unless you exterminate all the predators, so widely
that there is no population reservoir that can reach the territory you
are trying to control, the tactic is effective only in the very short
term (I think that practice is horrific too); Ms Palin's motivation was
likely the cheerful enjoyment she derived from it.

Perhaps I should mention here that all JJ said was "helicopters", adding
that his use was sarcastic; the movie I brought in myself, and the real
war in Viet Nam was your contribution. He hasn't commented, and may -
who knows? - decide not to.

CDB

Sep 20, 2021, 9:00:58 AM9/20/21
No argument. We (or some portion of us) have been cancer-monkeys for a
long time. If we compass our own death soon, it is my hope that our
successors will not have our kind of intelligence.

bruce bowser

Sep 21, 2021, 12:56:33 PM9/21/21
What "other" kind is there?

CDB

Sep 22, 2021, 7:59:41 AM9/22/21
On 9/21/2021 12:56 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> CDB wrote:

[I think we're all bozos on this bus]

>> No argument. We (or some portion of us) have been cancer-monkeys
>> for a long time. If we compass our own death soon, it is my hope
>> that our successors will not have our kind of intelligence.

> What "other" kind is there?

One sufficient to keep the species alive, but not so great as to nourish
the delusion that it is a race of unmoved movers, separate from other
animals. One that does not permit the species to escape the natural
controls of hunger and disease on the size of its population.

bruce bowser

Sep 22, 2021, 5:59:12 PM9/22/21
Primates have organized disputes, too:
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyOasqbczg

CDB

Sep 23, 2021, 8:29:21 AM9/23/21
On 9/22/2021 5:59 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> bruce bowser wrote:
>>> CDB wrote:

>> [I think we're all bozos on this bus]

>>> What "other" kind is there?

>> One sufficient to keep the species alive, but not so great as to
>> nourish the delusion that it is a race of unmoved movers, separate
>> from other animals. One that does not permit the species to escape
>> the natural controls of hunger and disease on the size of its
>> population.

> Primates have organized disputes, too: --
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyOasqbczg

Not for very much longer.

bruce bowser

Sep 24, 2021, 1:56:50 PM9/24/21