Lighting

LFS

Feb 17, 2016, 9:14:37 AM2/17/16
Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:

---
Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"

---

I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
Comments?

--
Laura (emulate St George for email)

Katy Jennison

Feb 17, 2016, 9:42:37 AM2/17/16
On 17/02/2016 14:14, LFS wrote:
> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>
> ---
> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>
> ---
>
> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> Comments?

Given that it's a verbed form of "given the green light", I'd opt for
"green-lighted" (note hyphen) rather than "green-lit". I agree with his
reasoning.

--
Katy Jennison

Lewis

Feb 17, 2016, 9:59:49 AM2/17/16
In message <dijdi8...@mid.individual.net>
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:

> ---
> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"

> ---

> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> Comments?

Green-lit, definitely.

--
'My strength is like the strength of ten because my heart is pure,' said
Carrot. 'Really? Well, there's eleven of them.' --Jingo

Richard Tobin

Feb 17, 2016, 10:10:03 AM2/17/16
In article <dijdi8...@mid.individual.net>,
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>
>---
>Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"

What makes him think that the verbed noun "green-light" is not
also irregular?

Does he say "floodlighted"?

-- Richard

LFS

Feb 17, 2016, 10:25:57 AM2/17/16
But... highlighted?

Harrison Hill

Feb 17, 2016, 10:42:46 AM2/17/16
I also say "down-lighted".

For me, if he means 'thumbs up' it is "green-lighted"; if
he means 'illuminated in green' "green-lit".

Janet

Feb 17, 2016, 11:50:33 AM2/17/16
In article <na22ar$keo$1...@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>, ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
says...
If he turns off the floodlights would we be delit?

Janet

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 17, 2016, 12:34:27 PM2/17/16
If he turns on the footlights would we be light of foot?

Best,
Helen

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 17, 2016, 12:38:48 PM2/17/16
Is Paula being gaslighted by her husband?

Best,
Helen

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Feb 17, 2016, 12:55:50 PM2/17/16
How about HiLit?

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Feb 17, 2016, 1:46:35 PM2/17/16
Illuminated young poultry: chicklit.

John Varela

Feb 17, 2016, 2:38:23 PM2/17/16
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
<la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>
> ---
> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>
> ---
>
> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> Comments?

Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
conjugation is most common:

floodlit, not floodlighted
highlighted, not highlit
gaslit, not gaslighted
moonlit, not moonlighted
sunlit, not sunlighted
spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
green-light)
firelit, not firelighted
candle-lit, not candle-lighted

--
John Varela

Jerry Friedman

Feb 17, 2016, 2:46:31 PM2/17/16
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 12:38:23 PM UTC-7, John Varela wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
> >
> > ---
> > Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> > the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> > Comments?
>
> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
> conjugation is most common:
>
> floodlit, not floodlighted
> highlighted, not highlit
> gaslit, not gaslighted
> moonlit, not moonlighted

But for a second job, moonlighted, not moonlit.

> sunlit, not sunlighted
> spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
> green-light)
> firelit, not firelighted
> candle-lit, not candle-lighted

Most of your examples with "lit" are past participles compounded with
the light source, as "lit by gas". I agree with what Harrison Hill
says: my understanding of "greenlit" would be "illuminated by green
light".

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Feb 17, 2016, 2:46:54 PM2/17/16
*sigh*

--
Jerry Friedman

Lewis

Feb 17, 2016, 5:28:42 PM2/17/16
In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-ygdcoV5IfofV@localhost>
John Varela <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

>> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>>
>> ---
>> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
>> Comments?
>
> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
> conjugation is most common:

> floodlit, not floodlighted
> highlighted, not highlit
> gaslit, not gaslighted
> moonlit, not moonlighted
> sunlit, not sunlighted

Agreed with all of these.

> spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
> green-light)

Really?

Spotlighted means to me something that has attention focused on it. If
you are arranging lights as I was yesterday and today, the object has
been spotlit.

> firelit, not firelighted
> candle-lit, not candle-lighted

Candlelit is not hyphenated.

--
'It's easy to hold everything in common when no one's got anything.'

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 17, 2016, 6:23:13 PM2/17/16
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-8, John Varela wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
> >
> > ---
> > Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> > the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> > Comments?
>
> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
> conjugation is most common:
>
> floodlit, not floodlighted
> highlighted, not highlit
> gaslit, not gaslighted

"Gaslit" is the adjective form:
The gaslit streets were empty after midnight.

"Gaslighted" is the past participle:
Veronica feared her sister was being gaslighted by her new lover.

Best,
Helen

Robert Bannister

Feb 17, 2016, 7:43:29 PM2/17/16
On 17/02/2016 10:14 pm, LFS wrote:
> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>
> ---
> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>
> ---
>
> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> Comments?

Don't many Americans use "lighted" where we would use "lit" anyway? I
often read things like "the room was barely lighted by the street lamp
across the way".

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972

Robert Bannister

Feb 17, 2016, 7:46:50 PM2/17/16
On 18/02/2016 3:38 am, John Varela wrote:

> floodlit, not floodlighted
> highlighted, not highlit
> gaslit, not gaslighted
> moonlit, not moonlighted
> sunlit, not sunlighted
> spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
> green-light)
> firelit, not firelighted
> candle-lit, not candle-lighted

I have to agree, although I think I wouldn't blink too hard at
"spotlit". "Highlighted" seems to be the main one because I think it
refers to a "highlighter" (pen).

Robert Bannister

Feb 17, 2016, 7:48:57 PM2/17/16
On 18/02/2016 6:25 am, Lewis wrote:
> In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-ygdcoV5IfofV@localhost>
> John Varela <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
>> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>>> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
>>> Comments?
>>
>> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
>> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
>> conjugation is most common:
>
>> floodlit, not floodlighted
>> highlighted, not highlit
>> gaslit, not gaslighted
>> moonlit, not moonlighted
>> sunlit, not sunlighted
>
> Agreed with all of these.

Except I agree with Jerry: if moonlighted means did some slightly
illegal work, then it's not moonlit.

>> spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
>> green-light)
>
> Really?
>
> Spotlighted means to me something that has attention focused on it. If
> you are arranging lights as I was yesterday and today, the object has
> been spotlit.
>
>> firelit, not firelighted
>> candle-lit, not candle-lighted
>
> Candlelit is not hyphenated.

Ross

Feb 17, 2016, 8:20:16 PM2/17/16
Even where "lit by X" does not quite work as a paraphrase,
the common factor is that in the ones with "lit", the
object is ...uh, literally ... lit (illuminated). In the
others it is not -- its relation to light is metaphorical
or indirect.

RH Draney

Feb 17, 2016, 8:43:49 PM2/17/16
On 2/17/2016 5:43 PM, Robert Bannister wrote:

> Don't many Americans use "lighted" where we would use "lit" anyway? I
> often read things like "the room was barely lighted by the street lamp
> across the way".

Consider Genesis 24:64: "And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she
saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel."

This is said to be the earliest recorded mention of cigarette-smoking....r

Mark Brader

Feb 18, 2016, 1:12:21 AM2/18/16
Laura Spira:
>> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>> ---
>> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>> ---
>> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.

It sounds standard to me. I'm with Greene. "Green-lit" should mean
lit by green light. Just call me Greene-lit. :-)

John Varela:
> floodlit, not floodlighted
> gaslit, not gaslighted
> moonlit, not moonlighted
> sunlit, not sunlighted
> firelit, not firelighted
> candle-lit, not candle-lighted

All of these are different, because they are examples of lighting.
A sunlit room is lit by the sun; a floodlit one is lit by the flood
of light from the floodlight.

On the other hand, forecasting is not a type of casting, and I'm one
of those who say that the past tense should be "forecasted" and not
"forecast". It's like "greenlighted".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "This is, I am told, progress.
m...@vex.net But I beg leave to doubt it." --Frimbo

Lewis

Feb 18, 2016, 4:52:28 AM2/18/16
In message <dikidcF...@mid.individual.net>
Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/2016 10:14 pm, LFS wrote:
>> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>>
>> ---
>> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
>> Comments?
>>

> Don't many Americans use "lighted" where we would use "lit" anyway? I
> often read things like "the room was barely lighted by the street lamp
> across the way".

I think that is common in AmE, but I hate it.

--
Knowledge equals power... --... Power equals energy... People were
stupid, sometimes. They thought the Library was a dangerous place

John Varela

Feb 18, 2016, 4:56:55 PM2/18/16
Someone who is spotlighted is definitely illuminated.

And is it floodlit or floodlighted?

Also, an item highlighted on a Powerpoint slide could be literally
illuminated.

--
John Varela

John Varela

Feb 18, 2016, 5:02:12 PM2/18/16
Really? We're talking about a spotlight on a performer here, are we
not? You would say that the actor's entrance was spotlit?

> > firelit, not firelighted
> > candle-lit, not candle-lighted

> Candlelit is not hyphenated.

Multiple dictionaries agree with you. I shoulda looked it up.

--
John Varela

John Varela

Feb 18, 2016, 5:12:44 PM2/18/16
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:23:11 UTC, Helen Lacedaemonian
<helenofs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Veronica feared her sister was being gaslighted by her new lover.

Now, there is an obscure usage that I had to look up.

--
John Varela

John Varela

Feb 18, 2016, 5:16:59 PM2/18/16
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:43:16 UTC, RH Draney <dado...@cox.net>
wrote:
When I read it I thought it was "lighted" as in "lighted off a
firecracker". This led to an interesting mental image.

--
John Varela

Ross

Feb 18, 2016, 5:47:03 PM2/18/16
Agreed, that one doesn't work so well. But "spotlit" also exists.

> And is it floodlit or floodlighted?

I'd say floodlit.

> Also, an item highlighted on a Powerpoint slide could be literally
> illuminated.

But then so is the un-highlighted stuff.
(Unlike most of the others, a "highlight" was never
a source of light that could illuminate something else.
It was just a brighter patch in a painting etc.)

Lewis

Feb 18, 2016, 7:00:54 PM2/18/16
In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-mk9l7EfI7q2d@localhost>
I would say "keep the spot on him" but when setting the lights we
spotlit the stage.

>> > firelit, not firelighted
>> > candle-lit, not candle-lighted

>> Candlelit is not hyphenated.
>
> Multiple dictionaries agree with you. I shoulda looked it up.

--
The real world was far too real to leave neat little hints. It was full
of too many things. It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got

Robert Bannister

Feb 18, 2016, 7:55:21 PM2/18/16
In my form of English, yes.

Robert Bannister

Feb 18, 2016, 7:56:06 PM2/18/16
I don't think I know what that means. It sounds naughty.

> Best,
> Helen

Robert Bannister

Feb 18, 2016, 7:59:10 PM2/18/16
Good one.

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 18, 2016, 8:22:39 PM2/18/16
gaslight:
to manipulate someone by psychological means into questioning
their own sanity.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gaslight

These days it is commonly used to discuss a form of psychological warfare
that can occur in situations of domestic abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Best,
Helen

bill van

Feb 18, 2016, 10:10:38 PM2/18/16
In article <din7mq...@mid.individual.net>,
Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2016 9:43 am, RH Draney wrote:
> > On 2/17/2016 5:43 PM, Robert Bannister wrote:
> >>
> >> Don't many Americans use "lighted" where we would use "lit" anyway? I
> >> often read things like "the room was barely lighted by the street lamp
> >> across the way".
> >
> > Consider Genesis 24:64: "And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she
> > saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel."
> >
> > This is said to be the earliest recorded mention of cigarette-smoking....r
> >
> Good one.

No doubt the camel had walked a mile for her.
--
bill

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 18, 2016, 11:06:55 PM2/18/16
Is it maybe from the movie?

Lewis

Feb 19, 2016, 5:51:22 AM2/19/16
In message <din7gv...@mid.individual.net>
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036855/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1>

--
no no no no no
no no no no no no no

CDB

Feb 19, 2016, 8:51:19 AM2/19/16
On 18/02/2016 11:06 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> Robert Bannister wrote:
>> Helen Lacedaemonian wrote:

>>> "Gaslighted" is the past participle: Veronica feared her sister
>>> was being gaslighted by her new lover.

>> I don't think I know what that means. It sounds naughty.

> Is it maybe from the movie?

'To "gaslight" someone is more than simply to create mischief. It means
to manipulate a victim into questioning his or her own sanity and, if
all goes well, to thereby actually drive the person insane. The term
refers to the great 1944 suspense film "Gaslight" in which a greedy
Victorian husband (Charles Boyer) conspires to convince his innocent
wife (Ingrid Bergman) that she is going mad, the object being to make
his planned murder of her (for her inheritance) appear to be suicide.
Mysterious footsteps, "misplaced" objects, and inexplicably dimming
gaslights (thus the title) are all part of his nefarious plan.'

http://www.word-detective.com/071000.html#Gaslight

Charles Bishop

Feb 19, 2016, 6:16:28 PM2/19/16
In article <dijdi8...@mid.individual.net>,
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>
> ---
> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>
> ---
>
> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> Comments?

It sounds odd to me as well. However, I can't tell if it sounds odd
because I've always heard "greenlit" or because I can sense its innate
oddness and wrongitude.

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Feb 19, 2016, 6:21:16 PM2/19/16
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-ygdcoV5IfofV@localhost>,
"John Varela" <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
> >
> > ---
> > Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> > the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> > Comments?
>
> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
> conjugation is most common:
>
> floodlit, not floodlighted
> highlighted, not highlit
> gaslit, not gaslighted

From the movie _Gaslight_, a description of what Charles Boyer does to
Ingrid Bergman would be "gaslighted" I think, rather than gaslit.

> moonlit, not moonlighted
> sunlit, not sunlighted
> spotlighted, not spotlit (probably the nearest example to
> green-light)
> firelit, not firelighted
> candle-lit, not candle-lighted

--
charles

Charles Bishop

Feb 19, 2016, 6:27:09 PM2/19/16
In article <dikinlF...@mid.individual.net>,
Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2016 6:25 am, Lewis wrote:
> > In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-ygdcoV5IfofV@localhost>
> > John Varela <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
> >> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
> >> conjugation is most common:
> >
> >> floodlit, not floodlighted
> >> highlighted, not highlit
> >> gaslit, not gaslighted
> >> moonlit, not moonlighted
> >> sunlit, not sunlighted
> >
> > Agreed with all of these.
>
> Except I agree with Jerry: if moonlighted means did some slightly
> illegal work, then it's not moonlit.

Does it have to be work that is slightly illegal? I've thought that it
just means to work at a second job, or perhaps on the second shift on a
job.

[snip]

--
charles

Lewis

Feb 19, 2016, 6:46:37 PM2/19/16
In message <ctbishop-CDB9B2...@news.individual.net>
For me, to moonlight is to have a second job that is not part of the
first job. It implies nothing about illegality or shadiness.

Working a second shift would not be moonlighting.

--
But I been sane a long while now, and change is good.

Tony Cooper

Feb 19, 2016, 7:03:56 PM2/19/16
I suspect that if you were in the movie or television business, that
"greenlighted" would not sound odd to you. You'd be dancing a jig if
your project was greenlighted.

"Greenlit" would not apply at all. That means lighting something
using a green gel or summat. "Greenlighting" a project is a reference
to a stoplight turning green and allowing the person to go forward.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Bannister

Feb 19, 2016, 7:46:41 PM2/19/16
Thanks. I did look it up after posting. I still wonder who uses such an
expression. I had never come across it before. Perhaps it's a CIA
interrogation technique for when waterboarding fails.

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 20, 2016, 1:11:10 AM2/20/16
It's a term used in the psychology community, especially among those who
specialize in or have and interest in relationship counseling. Google "gaslighting"
and look at the kinds of links that come up: The National Domestic Violence
Hotline, Psychology Today, Narcissistic Abuse Recovery, Trauma Healed, etc.

Odd to think that people really do this sort of thing to one another but people
are odd, especially if given an extra twist or two in childhood.

Best,
Helen

Robert Bannister

Feb 20, 2016, 7:49:43 PM2/20/16
I've heard both, but mainly with jobs where the employee is not allowed
to do a second job - mainly government work - or, when the worker is
using tools or other equipment from the main job without permission.

Robert Bannister

Feb 20, 2016, 7:50:53 PM2/20/16
If the person's boss approved of it, it wouldn't be moonlighting for me.

Robert Bannister

Feb 20, 2016, 7:51:54 PM2/20/16
On 20/02/2016 2:11 pm, Helen Lacedaemonian wrote:

> Odd to think that people really do this sort of thing to one another but people
> are odd, especially if given an extra twist or two in childhood.

Apart from thee and me, of course.

Robert Bannister

Feb 20, 2016, 7:52:53 PM2/20/16
On 20/02/2016 7:21 am, Charles Bishop wrote:
> In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-ygdcoV5IfofV@localhost>,
> "John Varela" <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:14:32 UTC, LFS
>> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
>>> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
>>> Comments?
>>
>> Either one works equally well for me, but looking at what others
>> have posted and adding a few, it seems that the irregular
>> conjugation is most common:
>>
>> floodlit, not floodlighted
>> highlighted, not highlit
>> gaslit, not gaslighted
>
> From the movie _Gaslight_, a description of what Charles Boyer does to
> Ingrid Bergman would be "gaslighted" I think, rather than gaslit.

So Mr Google told me, but I was a bit too young when that film came out.

Lewis

Feb 20, 2016, 8:58:36 PM2/20/16
In message <e5bfcbd0ge812um3l...@4ax.com>
Greenlit does apply:

<https://www.vg247.com/2015/04/15/project-reality-teams-squad-gets-greenlit-on-steam/>
<http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/19/alien-neill-blomkamp-officially-greenlit-instagram-film>
<http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/4-pro-tips-getting-your-project-greenlit-61515057>

I could post another hundred examples with ease.

--
TO CHANGE THE FATE OF ONE INDIVIDUAL IS TO CHANGE THE WORLD. I REMEMBER
THAT. SO SHOULD YOU. Death still hadn't turned to face her. 'I don't

Lewis

Feb 20, 2016, 9:00:06 PM2/20/16
In message <disg30...@mid.individual.net>
That's no reason not to see it. Some of my favorite movies predate me,
some by decades.

The interval between Gone with the Wind and Star Wars is the same as the
interval between Star Wars and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

--
What the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some
terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?

John Varela

Feb 20, 2016, 10:10:53 PM2/20/16
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 00:49:40 UTC, Robert Bannister
<rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

> On 20/02/2016 7:27 am, Charles Bishop wrote:
> > In article <dikinlF...@mid.individual.net>,
> > Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:
>
> >> Except I agree with Jerry: if moonlighted means did some slightly
> >> illegal work, then it's not moonlit.
> >
> > Does it have to be work that is slightly illegal? I've thought that it
> > just means to work at a second job, or perhaps on the second shift on a
> > job.
>
> I've heard both, but mainly with jobs where the employee is not allowed
> to do a second job - mainly government work - or, when the worker is
> using tools or other equipment from the main job without permission.

We called that "bootlegging".

--
John Varela

Helen Lacedaemonian

Feb 20, 2016, 10:43:37 PM2/20/16
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:51:54 PM UTC-8, Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 20/02/2016 2:11 pm, Helen Lacedaemonian wrote:
>
> > Odd to think that people really do this sort of thing to one another but people
> > are odd, especially if given an extra twist or two in childhood.
>
> Apart from thee and me, of course.

I give you a pass but I definitely have my quirks, and some of them
are not at all nice.

Best,
Helen

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 20, 2016, 10:56:25 PM2/20/16
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 7:51:54 PM UTC-5, Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 20/02/2016 2:11 pm, Helen Lacedaemonian wrote:

> > Odd to think that people really do this sort of thing to one another but people
> > are odd, especially if given an extra twist or two in childhood.
>
> Apart from thee and me, of course.

And you're not too sure about she.

Robert Bannister

Feb 21, 2016, 6:47:37 PM2/21/16
I have tried to watch GWTW. I even possess the DVD, but I can only watch
it for the first few hours before I get bored. I still like the original
SW. I watched "La Vie d'Adèle" the other night: three hours at least,
but it was funny and sad and maintained my interest.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2016, 12:16:25 AM2/22/16
I have seen it twice, but I would never watch it on TV. In fact, see if they're
not going to somehow come out with an IMAX version. Even a full-wall flatscreen
won't do, because it's not a widescreen image, of course.

Charles Bishop

Feb 22, 2016, 10:47:14 AM2/22/16
In article <e5bfcbd0ge812um3l...@4ax.com>,
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:16:25 -0800, Charles Bishop
> <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <dijdi8...@mid.individual.net>,
> > LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Robert Lane Greene of the Economist has just tweeted:
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Just saw "green-lit" from @nytimes. "Greenlighted", surely, verbed from
> >> the noun "green light" and not a form of the irr. verb "to light"
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> I understand his reasoning but "greenlighted" sounds very odd to me.
> >> Comments?
> >
> >It sounds odd to me as well. However, I can't tell if it sounds odd
> >because I've always heard "greenlit" or because I can sense its innate
> >oddness and wrongitude.
>
> I suspect that if you were in the movie or television business, that
> "greenlighted" would not sound odd to you. You'd be dancing a jig if
> your project was greenlighted.

As I would if it were greenlit. I suspect that again, it's down to what
I've heard before or what conforms to whatever "rules" I have, even when
those "rules" go against normal speech or writing.

> "Greenlit" would not apply at all. That means lighting something
> using a green gel or summat. "Greenlighting" a project is a reference
> to a stoplight turning green and allowing the person to go forward.

May or may not mean that. I think you're just funnin' with your last
sentence.

--
charle

Tony Cooper

Feb 22, 2016, 12:27:21 PM2/22/16
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 07:47:10 -0800, Charles Bishop
Why would you think that? What other reference would it be other than
a stoplight turning green?

I didn't Google the term; it was an intuitive comment. But, Wiki
says:

To green-light is to give permission or a go ahead to move forward
with a project.[1] The term is a reference to the green traffic
signal, indicating "go ahead". In the context of the film and
television industries, to green-light something is to formally approve
its production finance and to commit to this financing, thereby
allowing the project to move forward from the development phase to
pre-production and principal photography.

John Varela

Feb 22, 2016, 5:49:42 PM2/22/16
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:27:24 UTC, Tony Cooper
At sea, as in countries that drive on the correct side of the road,
the vehicle on the right has the right of way. The same is true at
sea. Ships carry a green light on the starboard side and a red light
on the port side. If you see an approaching ship, and it displays a
green light, then you have the right of way. If you see a red light,
then you must give way.

> I didn't Google the term; it was an intuitive comment. But, Wiki
> says:
>
> To green-light is to give permission or a go ahead to move forward
> with a project.[1] The term is a reference to the green traffic
> signal, indicating "go ahead". In the context of the film and
> television industries, to green-light something is to formally approve
> its production finance and to commit to this financing, thereby
> allowing the project to move forward from the development phase to
> pre-production and principal photography.

I think we had lights on ships before we had traffic lights at
intersections. The Wiki article needs edited.

--
John "I did that on purpose" Varela

Robert Bannister

Feb 22, 2016, 5:59:28 PM2/22/16
I was quite amazed to see that there actually is one IMAX cinema in my
state. This is a world-wide list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

Tony Cooper

Feb 22, 2016, 6:29:35 PM2/22/16
On 22 Feb 2016 22:49:38 GMT, "John Varela" <newl...@verizon.net>
The first electric traffic light installed was in Cleveland in 1914.
It had red and green lights.

It probably pre-dated the term "greenlighted" as meaning "project
approved" by some years.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2016, 11:25:40 PM2/22/16
On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 5:59:28 PM UTC-5, Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 22/02/2016 1:16 pm, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> I have tried to watch GWTW. I even possess the DVD, but I can only watch
> >> it for the first few hours before I get bored. I still like the original
> >> SW. I watched "La Vie d'Adèle" the other night: three hours at least,
> >> but it was funny and sad and maintained my interest.
> > I have seen it twice, but I would never watch it on TV. In fact, see if they're
> > not going to somehow come out with an IMAX version. Even a full-wall flatscreen
> > won't do, because it's not a widescreen image, of course.
>
> I was quite amazed to see that there actually is one IMAX cinema in my
> state.

It wouldn't be anywhere but Perth, would it?

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2016, 12:42:57 AM2/23/16
John Varela:
>> I think we had lights on ships before we had traffic lights at
>> intersections.

So what? They don't change to green to indicate that you may
now proceed.

Tony Cooper:
> The first electric traffic light installed was in Cleveland in 1914.
> It had red and green lights.

Which, of course, copied the then fairly new color code for railway
signals.

(Until around 1900, both US and British railways commonly used red
for stop and white for go, with green being the caution signal,
corresponding to the later yellow.)
--
Mark Brader | "Red lights are not my concern.
Toronto | I am a driver, not a policeman."

RH Draney

Feb 23, 2016, 6:19:04 AM2/23/16
On 2/22/2016 10:42 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> Tony Cooper:
>> The first electric traffic light installed was in Cleveland in 1914.
>> It had red and green lights.
>
> Which, of course, copied the then fairly new color code for railway
> signals.
>
> (Until around 1900, both US and British railways commonly used red
> for stop and white for go, with green being the caution signal,
> corresponding to the later yellow.)

To those of us with certain forms of color-blindness, traffic lights are
*still* using white for go...I was almost old enough to drive on my own
before I realized that "green light" wasn't just an expression....r

Ross

Feb 23, 2016, 4:24:49 PM2/23/16
So true! And I thought it was just me....

Robert Bannister

Feb 23, 2016, 6:13:27 PM2/23/16
Definitely not, but I was expecting the nearest one to be in Melbourne.
We've been through cinemas closing, cinemas opening or reopening, and
now we're back to closing down again.

Peter Moylan

Mar 1, 2016, 3:54:48 AM3/1/16
It mostly seems to happen between spouses. (As in the play whose title
gave us the term.) I first heard the term because my then wife's
psychiatrist thought I was guilty of it. After he met me he realised it
was the other way around. I did go through a phase of questioning my own
sanity, and it wasn't pleasant.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Mar 1, 2016, 4:08:38 AM3/1/16
They came rather later to England, to London in 1926 and Wolverhampton
in 1927. (The much earlier failed experiment in London in 1869 used gas
and was operated by a policeman).

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Mar 1, 2016, 4:09:33 AM3/1/16
Probably Jerry as well.

--
athel

Jerry Friedman

Mar 1, 2016, 9:48:23 AM3/1/16
On 3/1/16 2:09 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2016-02-23 21:24:46 +0000, Ross said:

>>> To those of us with certain forms of color-blindness, traffic lights are
>>> *still* using white for go...I was almost old enough to drive on my own
>>> before I realized that "green light" wasn't just an expression....r
>>
>> So true! And I thought it was just me....
>
> Probably Jerry as well.

Whitish-bluish-green.

--
Jerry Friedman