Suffolk pink

occam

May 15, 2022, 8:07:56 AM5/15/22

Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
piqued my interest.

According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program, Suffolk pink =
pig's blood + limewash.

"Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
too, to produce a redder pink."

Source:
https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/

lar3ryca

May 15, 2022, 9:34:24 AM5/15/22
Interesting. I had never heard of 'limewash', until now, but I see it's
what we call 'whitewash'.

HVS

May 15, 2022, 12:19:52 PM5/15/22
On 15 May 2022, lar3ryca wrote
Limewash is an interesting treatment.

As opposed to the Victorian and early 20th-century black-and-white
colouring of half-timbered buildings, limewash was traditionally
painted not only on the brick nogging between the exposed timber
frame, but also over the exposed timbers themselves.

This addressed the problem that the exposed timbers and the brick
infill panels react differently to changes in temperature and
humidity. Since limewash remains flexible, covering the whole facade
with it lets the gap between the two materials expand asd contract
without opening a gap between them.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Sam Plusnet

May 15, 2022, 3:20:04 PM5/15/22
I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk, the same thing was
done in many other places.
Today, various paint manufacturers offer stuff which looks the same -
but no pigs are harmed in the... etc.

--
Sam Plusnet

occam

May 16, 2022, 2:51:23 AM5/16/22
On 15/05/2022 21:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 15-May-22 13:07, occam wrote:
>>

>> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
>> piqued my interest.
>>
>> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program,  Suffolk pink =
>> pig's blood + limewash.
>>
>> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
>> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
>> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
>> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
>> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
>> too, to produce a redder pink."
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/
>>

> I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk,

The 14th century? When you next google a fact and come up with a homily
like "it has been done in many places", make sure it precedes the
example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a reason why it has
ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not the 'Lancashire pink'
or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically most people made sausages with
blood, rather than waste it on walls.

I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?

Janet

May 16, 2022, 7:01:56 AM5/16/22
In article <jeeaj6...@mid.individual.net>, nob...@nowhere.nix
says...
> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?

The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

Janet

Sam Plusnet

May 16, 2022, 3:02:30 PM5/16/22
On 16-May-22 7:51, occam wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 21:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 15-May-22 13:07, occam wrote:
>>>

>>> Though I am not a fan of the colour pink, the history of 'Suffolk pink'
>>> piqued my interest.
>>>
>>> According to a snippet on the BBC (Radio 4) program,  Suffolk pink =
>>> pig's blood + limewash.
>>>
>>> "Suffolk Pink dates back to the 14th century, where these pink shades
>>> were formed by adding natural substances to traditional limewash. For
>>> example, adding in elderberries, which release a beautiful carmine red.
>>> Other methods included mixing pig/ox blood with buttermilk which was
>>> then painted onto a house. Blackthorn or sloe juice was sometimes added
>>> too, to produce a redder pink."
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> https://www.fennwright.co.uk/about-us/news/the-history-behind-suffolk-pink-houses/
>>>

>> I'm not sure about a special connection with Suffolk,
>
> The 14th century? When you next google a fact and come up with a homily
> like "it has been done in many places", make sure it precedes the
> example you are dissing. I am guessing there is a reason why it has
> ended up being called the 'Suffolk pink' and not the 'Lancashire pink'
> or the 'Aberdeenshire rosé'. Historically most people made sausages with
> blood, rather than waste it on walls.

"Google a fact"?? You provided a link to an Estate Agent's website FFS!

Have they suddenly become the guardians of historical fact? Or do they
rank somewhere below used car salesmen on the 'trusted profession' scale?

Are there any 14th buildings with the original coating untouched and intact?

--
Sam Plusnet

Paul Wolff

May 16, 2022, 4:47:18 PM5/16/22
On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>nob...@nowhere.nix
>says...
>> I am trying to find the Lancashire name for blood sausage (sounds like
>> e-chi-tump ?). Anyone?
>
> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>mean black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>to "ee by gum" and "bloomin heck".

I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC radio
comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.

[1] Term includes Lancastrians.
--
Paul

musika

May 16, 2022, 4:54:17 PM5/16/22
He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump" is a
secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a weapon.

--
Ray
UK

Sam Plusnet

May 16, 2022, 5:16:51 PM5/16/22
The Goodies - Kung Fu Kapers, apparently.

--
Sam Plusnet

Paul Wolff

May 16, 2022, 5:57:20 PM5/16/22
On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 21:54:12, musika posted:
>On 16/05/2022 21:35, Paul Wolff wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 12:01:46, Janet posted:
>>> nob...@nowhere.nix
>>> says...
>>>
>>> The Lancashire term you're looking for is ecky thump, which does not
>>> mean  black pudding. It's an expression of surprise/disbelief, similar
>>> to "ee by gum"  and "bloomin heck".
>>>
>> I associate it with Bill Oddie, a northern lad[1], in long-ago BBC
>>radio comedy. Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again.
>> [1] Term includes Lancastrians.
>
>He's probably thinking of The Goodies.

The strong alternative.

>In one episode, "ecky thump" is a secret Lancastrian martial art using
>black puddings as a weapon.

I'll go with that.
--
Paul

musika

May 16, 2022, 6:20:13 PM5/16/22
Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.

--
Ray
UK

Paul Wolff

May 16, 2022, 6:47:22 PM5/16/22
On Mon, 16 May 2022, at 23:20:07, musika posted:
Is that distinct from the fish-slapping dance - or an umbrella term?
--
Paul

musika

May 16, 2022, 7:12:27 PM5/16/22
It was a secret Welsh martial art. It appeared in their second book.

<https://cdn2.apstatic.com/photos/climb/106848340_large_1494145373.jpg>

--
Ray
UK

Peter Moylan

May 16, 2022, 9:14:03 PM5/16/22
Yes, I also react that way to black pudding.

Peter Moylan

May 16, 2022, 9:17:29 PM5/16/22
Don;t knock used care salesmen. In the last survey I read about, they
were more trusted than politicians.

Lewis

May 16, 2022, 10:29:44 PM5/16/22
Oi! It's a *secret*.

--
'Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's because they're
the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's

occam

May 17, 2022, 2:15:17 AM5/17/22
Aha! That ancient Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as
weapons may be the source of my misunderstanding of 'ecky thump'. Thank you.

occam

May 17, 2022, 2:22:13 AM5/17/22
That, plus the fact that had Plusnet bothered to do a search himself, he
would have discovered plenty of other sources for the same information.
Here's another:

https://inigo.com/almanac/what-is-suffolk-pink

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 17, 2022, 3:14:54 AM5/17/22
They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.

It was indeed dangerous; one poor chap died laughing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Kapers

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Peter Moylan

May 17, 2022, 6:12:40 AM5/17/22
On 17/05/22 17:14, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100 musika <mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com>
> wrote:

>> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump"
>> is a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a
>> weapon.
>>
> They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.

One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting an
outsized ...

Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 17, 2022, 10:17:51 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:12:34 +1000
Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 17/05/22 17:14, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 May 2022 21:54:12 +0100 musika <mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> He's probably thinking of The Goodies. In one episode, "ecky thump"
> >> is a secret Lancastrian martial art using black puddings as a
> >> weapon.
> >>
> > They weren't that secretive, what with the outsized flatcaps.
>
> One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting an
> outsized ...
>
> Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.

DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in? wouldn't want it dingo-sized.

CDB

May 17, 2022, 11:30:27 AM5/17/22
On 5/16/2022 7:12 PM, musika wrote:
> Paul Wolff wrote:
>> musika posted:

>>> Yes. Monty Python had already done Llap Goch.

>> Is that distinct from the fish-slapping dance - or an umbrella
>> term?

> It was a secret Welsh martial art. It appeared in their second book.

> <https://cdn2.apstatic.com/photos/climb/106848340_large_1494145373.jpg>

Hidden depths. Isn't that a Welshwoman's hat he has on?

musika

May 17, 2022, 12:14:56 PM5/17/22

--
Ray
UK

Jerry Friedman

May 17, 2022, 12:36:42 PM5/17/22
And Yorkshire? My mother has a refrigerator magnet printed with a number
of Yorkshire expressions, including "Ee by gum" too. (It's a gift from my older
niece, who lived in Yorkshire for a few years.) The Internet confirms the
impression of one of my functioning brain cells that Lancs is adjacent to
West Yorks.

--
Jerry Friedman will go to the foot of our stairs.

HVS

May 17, 2022, 1:10:31 PM5/17/22
On 17 May 2022, Jerry Friedman wrote
Although "ee" and "bah gum" remain in current use, I'm not sure how
common it is these days to use the full "ee bah gum", other than as
part of a "funny northerner" caricature.

(Anecdotal dating point)

My grandmother was born in 1895 in Fallowfield (now part of
Manchester), and emigrated to Canada in 1928, aged 33. She lost
direct touch with her relatives (she and my grandfather didn't make a
return visit to England until the late 1960s), which I think
effectively froze her informal/regional usage in 1928.

She used the full "ee bah gum" rather than "ee" or "bah gum" on their
own, and as far as I recall that's the only time I've heard it used
naturally and colloquially, rather than for comic effect.

So the full expression was still alive in the wild in the 1920s --
but later than that, I'm not so sure.

--
Cheers, Harvey

.

she'd the only.

Not only did Her accent her accent and usage was effectively frozen
in time.

lar3ryca

May 17, 2022, 1:17:57 PM5/17/22
Perhaps more importantly, are they pronouns "nhw" and "eu'?

--
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Peter Moylan

May 17, 2022, 10:08:02 PM5/17/22
There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
tried to get into the house.

The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
open a door, is through the garage window, which we leave open during
the day but close at night. From there they can use the cat-flap that is
in the door between the garage and the main part of the house. That's an
itinerary that is consistent with cat logic, but is probably too
complicated for a possum.

Peter Moylan

May 17, 2022, 10:11:21 PM5/17/22
It's a pity that we've lost so many local informants over the years. AUE
used to have a regular, I recall, who lived in Wet Yorks.

Tony Cooper

May 17, 2022, 11:21:16 PM5/17/22
Linz (Amethyst Deceiver) was from: Wet Yorks via Cambridge, York,
London and Watford
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 18, 2022, 5:13:40 AM5/18/22
On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 18/05/22 00:17, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:12:34 +1000 Peter Moylan
>> <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>>> One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting
>>> an outsized ...
>>>
>>> Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.
>>
>> DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in?
>> wouldn't want it dingo-sized.
>
> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
> tried to get into the house.
>
> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
> open a door,

How many servants do you have? Somehow I hadn't pictured you as having
a butler and a team of lesser servants.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Richard Heathfield

May 18, 2022, 5:26:00 AM5/18/22
On 18/05/2022 10:13 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

<snip>

>> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but
>> it's never
>> tried to get into the house.
>>
>> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a
>> servant to
>> open a door,
>
> How many servants do you have?

None, obviously. But the cats have several.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Lewis

May 18, 2022, 7:20:42 AM5/18/22
They’re not even in the top ten of least trusted for me, not that I
trust them, of course.

--
I'm on the path, he thought. I don't have to know where it leads. I
just have to follow.

occam

May 18, 2022, 8:51:51 AM5/18/22
On 18/05/2022 11:13, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:
>
>> On 18/05/22 00:17, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in?
>>> wouldn't want it dingo-sized.
>>
>> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
>> tried to get into the house.
>>
>> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
>> open a door,
>
> How many servants do you have? Somehow I hadn't pictured you as having a
> butler and a team of lesser servants.

I think I know their two of the servants' names: Mr Moylan, Mrs. Moylan.
(There may be others.)

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 18, 2022, 9:39:29 AM5/18/22
Yes, you're probably right. I was forgetting that cats have servants.

>>>  is through the garage window, which we leave open during
>>> the day but close at night. From there they can use the cat-flap that is
>>> in the door between the garage and the main part of the house. That's an
>>> itinerary that is consistent with cat logic, but is probably too
>>> complicated for a possum.

Peter T. Daniels

May 18, 2022, 10:01:26 AM5/18/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:26:00 AM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 10:13 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> >> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but
> >> it's never
> >> tried to get into the house.
> >> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a
> >> servant to open a door,
> > How many servants do you have?
>
> None, obviously. But the cats have several.

Wow, Even Heathfield is more clever than Athel.

occam

May 18, 2022, 11:42:22 AM5/18/22
And you are as bitchy as ever. Stop it Daniels.

Peter T. Daniels

May 18, 2022, 11:53:56 AM5/18/22
You're just sore that Heathfield got his bitchy comment in
before you got your equally good one in.

Ken Blake

May 18, 2022, 12:06:57 PM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 12:07:57 +1000, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 18/05/22 00:17, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:12:34 +1000 Peter Moylan
>> <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>>> One of my cats keeps getting bigger. I've been thinking of getting
>>> an outsized ...
>>>
>>> Oh, sorry, you were talking about something else. As you were.
>>
>> DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in?
>> wouldn't want it dingo-sized.
>
>There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
>tried to get into the house.
>
>The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
>open a door,

Train your cat to say "Jeeves, open the door--NOW!"

Richard Heathfield

May 18, 2022, 12:31:45 PM5/18/22
He is also mistaken. Athel is a clever man who missed a joke.
Seen the joke I may have done, but as clever as he I is doubt I am.

> Stop it Daniels.

Good luck with that.

Sam Plusnet

May 18, 2022, 12:54:03 PM5/18/22
On 18-May-22 10:25, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 10:13 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:
>>

> <snip>
>
>>> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
>>> tried to get into the house.
>>>
>>> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
>>> open a door,
>>
>> How many servants do you have?
>
> None, obviously. But the cats have several.

The wrong word is being used here.
Servants get paid.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

May 18, 2022, 12:55:37 PM5/18/22
On 18-May-22 14:39, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> Yes, you're probably right. I was forgetting that cats have servants.

From which I deduce that you do not share accommodation with cats.

--
Sam Plusnet

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 18, 2022, 1:00:28 PM5/18/22
Many years ago I did. The first house we bought (in 1971) came with a
cat already in residence.

Before that there were at least two cats when I was a child.

Both were a long time ago.

charles

May 18, 2022, 1:22:24 PM5/18/22
In article <jejrlu...@mid.individual.net>,
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 02:07:57 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> > On 18/05/22 00:17, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> >> DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in?
> >> wouldn't want it dingo-sized.
> >
> > There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
> > tried to get into the house.
> >
> > The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
> > open a door,

> How many servants do you have? Somehow I hadn't pictured you as having
> a butler and a team of lesser servants.

cats treat all humans as servants.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

lar3ryca

May 18, 2022, 3:01:14 PM5/18/22
On 2022-05-18 10:06, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022 12:07:57 +1000, Peter Moylan
> <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 18/05/22 00:17, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> DO you get any possums or something else cat-sized calling in?
>>> wouldn't want it dingo-sized.
>>
>> There's a possum that occasionally runs along our fences, but it's never
>> tried to get into the house.
>>
>> The way our cats get into the house, when they can't get a servant to
>> open a door,
>

> Train your cat to say "Jeeves, open the door--NOW!"

All my cats have already known how to say that, but I am not fluent in Cat.

Peter T. Daniels

May 18, 2022, 4:04:17 PM5/18/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 12:31:45 PM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 4:42 pm, occam wrote:

> >> Wow, Even Heathfield is more clever than Athel.
> > And you are as bitchy as ever.
>
> He is also mistaken. Athel is a clever man

Maybe he used to be. He has visibly declined over the past year or so.

> who missed a joke.
> Seen the joke I may have done, but as clever as he I is doubt I am.

No quarrel there.

> > Stop it Daniels.
>
> Good luck with that.

Right. Ignore the follow-up, because you're afraid to see it.

Peter T. Daniels

May 18, 2022, 4:06:11 PM5/18/22
Cats richly repay Staff with cuddles and rubs and purrs and antics.

Peter Moylan

May 18, 2022, 8:58:53 PM5/18/22
On 19/05/22 03:00, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 16:55:31 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:
>
>> On 18-May-22 14:39, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, you're probably right. I was forgetting that cats have
>>> servants.
>>
>> From which I deduce that you do not share accommodation with cats.
>
> Many years ago I did. The first house we bought (in 1971) came with a
> cat already in residence.

The cat wasn't willing to move, right?

At least twice I have changed addresses while being owned by a cat.
Getting the cat to settle in the new place was a major problem, both times.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 19, 2022, 3:16:14 AM5/19/22
When we moved from South Devon to Greater Manchester in 1954 our cat
was extremely displeased with the move, and tried to get back, but it's
a long way to walk. It disappeared for several months, but was
eventually found about 50 km from where we lived, but we were never
sure it was the same cat, as it was uniformly black, and not easy to
distinguish from other uniformly black cats. There is a cat around here
(not ours) that would be recognizable anywhere, as it's a very obvious
example of X-inactivation.

Lewis

May 19, 2022, 11:09:34 PM5/19/22
In message <jekn16...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 16:55:31 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:

>> On 18-May-22 14:39, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, you're probably right. I was forgetting that cats have servants.
>>
>> From which I deduce that you do not share accommodation with cats.

> Many years ago I did. The first house we bought (in 1971) came with a
> cat already in residence.

> Before that there were at least two cats when I was a child.

Up until I was bout 13 we always had at least one cat hanging around,
but I've not had a cat since them, I was mostly transient from 14yo-20yo
so had not pets and also I was mostly around my future (and current)
wife who is very allergic to cats.

One of my moms was also very allergic to cats, but she had an outdoor
cat who cane by every day to eat, poop, and destroy a outside plant on
occasions. He didn't come in the house.

--
people didn't seem to be able to remember what it was like with the
elves around. Life was certainly more interesting then, but

occam

May 20, 2022, 1:57:21 AM5/20/22
On 20/05/2022 05:09, Lewis wrote:
> One of my moms was also very allergic to cats,

[AbAUE] How many moms do you have in total?

bil...@shaw.ca

May 20, 2022, 2:32:08 AM5/20/22
That depends on how serious his statement was. This business about humans
being cats' servants is a nice conceit and a shared joke, but people who keep
cats know they are actually pretty good company. They add homey to a home
and if you treat them well, they repay you in all sorts of ways. For one thing,
they are alarm clocks that purr. Also, they don't have to be walked two or
more times a day.

bill

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 20, 2022, 4:21:46 AM5/20/22
Do they bring in dead animals (either in tribute to their Lord or to show that they are, indeed, Mighty Hunters)
and piss off the neighbours by crapping on their gardens?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Peter Moylan

May 20, 2022, 6:30:12 AM5/20/22
They do, but catshit is a lot more discreet than dogshit.

These days, our mighty hunter brings in grasshoppers. That's a big
improvement over her previous supply of mice, frogs, lizards, and snakes.

The mighty hunter's brother doesn't bring in anything.

Jerry Friedman

May 20, 2022, 9:32:52 AM5/20/22
On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 12:32:08 AM UTC-6, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:55:37 AM UTC-7, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> > On 18-May-22 14:39, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, you're probably right. I was forgetting that cats have servants.
>
> > From which I deduce that you do not share accommodation with cats.
> >
> That depends on how serious his statement was. This business about humans
> being cats' servants is a nice conceit and a shared joke, but people who keep
> cats know they are actually pretty good company. They add homey to a home
> and if you treat them well, they repay you in all sorts of ways. For one thing,
> they are alarm clocks that purr.

I'm told that setting them for the time you want can be difficult, though.

> Also, they don't have to be walked two or more times a day.

--
Jerry Friedman

Sam Plusnet

May 20, 2022, 3:17:54 PM5/20/22
On 20-May-22 9:18, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
of cats
> Do they bring in dead animals (either in tribute to their Lord or to show that they are, indeed, Mighty Hunters)
> and piss off the neighbours by crapping on their gardens?

You omit "bring in live animals (e.g. mice), let them loose in the
house, and thereafter ignore their presence."

--
Sam Plusnet

bil...@shaw.ca

May 20, 2022, 4:54:12 PM5/20/22
I don't recommend people who dislike cats keeping one around the house. Sounds as if
that includes you.

But if you enjoy a cat's company, those other things can be dealt with. When we had a cat
that killed birds, we hung a small bell from its collar, and the killing stopped. When we got
a new cat, we'd keep it indoors until it was completely trained to use the litter box, and
that ended the outdoor pooping even when the cat went out again. It would come inside
to do its business, and then demand to be let out again.

But we still had to strain the lumps from the litter with a slotted plastic spoon, and occasionally
there would be territorial squabbles with another outdoor cat. When our last cat retired
from life, we -- hitting 70 at the time -- decided not to get another one. That has made some
household maintenance -- fur on the furniture, especially -- easier to deal with, and we no longer
miss having a critter around the house. Well, perhaps a little, once in a while.

bill

bil...@shaw.ca

May 20, 2022, 4:57:21 PM5/20/22
That happened once or twice over about 20 years of keeping cats in our present home.
It wasn't hard to deal with. If it was dead, we disposed of it. If it kept on moving, the
cat's chase instincts took over again.

bill

Sam Plusnet

May 20, 2022, 9:18:20 PM5/20/22
I wish.
When it happened to us we had (I think) 4 cats at the time and, once the
wood mouse was in the house they _all_ completely ignored it and left it
up to us to chase & catch it.

I think they realised that by hunting & catching it they would be doing
something we thought useful - which of course is anathema to any
sensible cat.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

May 20, 2022, 9:23:35 PM5/20/22
On 20-May-22 21:54, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:

When our last cat retired from life, we -- hitting 70 at the time --
decided not to get another one. That has made some household maintenance
-- fur on the furniture, especially -- easier to deal with, and we no
longer miss having a critter around the house. Well, perhaps a little,
once in a while.

We have done much the same, but several of our neighbours have cats
(next door have 4) which like to spend time in our garden.

It must be like having grandchildren - we can enjoy their company & then
send them home when they get to be too much bother.

--
Sam Plusnet

bil...@shaw.ca

May 20, 2022, 11:22:49 PM5/20/22
True, but I've had some success by keeping the bedroom door closed until
an acceptable wake-up time. Eventually they figure it out, although the daylight
saving time switch tends to throw them off.

bill

lar3ryca

May 21, 2022, 1:03:17 AM5/21/22
Abdominal AuE?
Abnormal AuE? Or perhaps Abbey Normal, AUE/

--
Autocorrect has become my wurst enema.

occam

May 21, 2022, 2:40:41 AM5/21/22
On 21/05/2022 07:03, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-05-19 23:57, occam wrote:
>> On 20/05/2022 05:09, Lewis wrote:
>>> One of my moms was also very allergic to cats,
>>
>> [AbAUE] How many moms do you have in total?
>
> Abdominal AuE?
> Abnormal AuE? Or perhaps Abbey Normal, AUE/

Abominable Usage of English?

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 21, 2022, 4:37:41 AM5/21/22
I'm glad you're happy. Our neighbour's cats seen to regard our garden as a dumping ground and for (not) resolving territrial disputes.

Advice to get one of my own will be ignored (but I expect you to feel me seething).

Ken Blake

May 21, 2022, 10:58:25 AM5/21/22
Abdominal Urge for an Enema?

J. J. Lodder

May 23, 2022, 4:03:11 PM5/23/22
Friends of mine have a black cat with the ability to teleport.
While being quite sure they have seen her early in the evening
she is regularly seen on camera at midnight at their second home,
more than a thousand kilometer away,

Jan