Oxford Dictionaries names ‘goblin mode’ its word of the year

kyonshi

Dec 6, 2022, 3:17:25 AM12/6/22
https://apnews.com/article/europe-oxford-e1ce91a4c56588c5ece25353cbe52810

LONDON (AP) — Asked to sum up 2022 in a word, the public has chosen a
phrase.

Oxford Dictionaries said Monday that “goblin mode” has been selected by
online vote as its word of the year.

It defines the term as “a type of behavior which is unapologetically
self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that
rejects social norms or expectations.”

First seen on Twitter in 2009, “goblin mode” gained popularity in 2022
as people around the world emerged uncertainly from pandemic lockdowns.

“Given the year we’ve just experienced, ‘goblin mode’ resonates with all
of us who are feeling a little overwhelmed at this point,” said Oxford
Languages President Casper Grathwohl.

The word of the year is intended to reflect “the ethos, mood, or
preoccupations of the past twelve months.” For the first time this
year’s winning phrase was chosen by public vote, from among three
finalists selected by Oxford Languages lexicographers: goblin mode,
metaverse and the hashtag IStandWith.

Despite being relatively unknown offline, goblin mode was the
overwhelming favorite, winning 93% of the more than 340,000 votes cast.

The choice is more evidence of a world unsettled after years of pandemic
turmoil, and by the huge changes in behavior and politics brought by
social media.

Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
“gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a person
question the validity of their own thoughts.

In 2021 the Oxford word of the year was “vax” and Merriam-Webster’s was
“vaccine.”

Richard Heathfield

Dec 6, 2022, 3:39:21 AM12/6/22
On 06/12/2022 8:17 am, kyonshi wrote:
> Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
> “gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a
> person question the validity of their own thoughts.

And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
mode" is one word.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Dec 6, 2022, 4:15:58 AM12/6/22
On 2022-12-06 08:17:20 +0000, kyonshi said:

> Casper Grathwohl

looks like a made-up name, but apparently it's real. Not only that, but
searches reveal lots of references to obituaries of another Casper
Grathwohl.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36+ years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 6, 2022, 10:25:14 AM12/6/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 3:39:21 AM UTC-5, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 06/12/2022 8:17 am, kyonshi wrote:

> > Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
> > “gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a
> > person question the validity of their own thoughts.
>
> And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
> mode" is one word.

Where did it do that?

How many here heard of "goblin mode" before this news story?

Which is more likely to be a "made-up name," "Casper Grathwohl"
or "Athelstan Cornish-Bowden"?

Tony Cooper

Dec 6, 2022, 10:40:50 AM12/6/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:39:10 +0000, Richard Heathfield
<r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>On 06/12/2022 8:17 am, kyonshi wrote:
>> Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
>> “gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a
>> person question the validity of their own thoughts.
>
>And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
>mode" is one word.

No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
expression".

https://languages.oup.com/word-of-the-year/2022/

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Paul Carmichael

Dec 6, 2022, 11:21:18 AM12/6/22
El Tue, 06 Dec 2022 09:17:20 +0100, kyonshi escribió:

> First seen on Twitter in 2009, “goblin mode” gained popularity in 2022
> as people around the world emerged uncertainly from pandemic lockdowns.

"With/facing etc. uncertainty", I've heard. But "uncertainly"?

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Richard Heathfield

Dec 6, 2022, 11:26:00 AM12/6/22
On 06/12/2022 3:40 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:39:10 +0000, Richard Heathfield
> <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 06/12/2022 8:17 am, kyonshi wrote:
>>> Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
>>> “gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a
>>> person question the validity of their own thoughts.
>>
>> And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
>> mode" is one word.
>
> No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
> the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
> expression".

I rest my case, m'lud.

Mark Brader

Dec 6, 2022, 11:32:07 AM12/6/22
"kyonshi" quotes https://apnews.com/article/europe-oxford-e1ce91a4c56588c5ece25353cbe52810:

>> First seen on Twitter in 2009, "goblin mode" gained popularity in 2022
>> as people around the world emerged uncertainly from pandemic lockdowns.

Paul Carmichael asks:
> "With/facing etc. uncertainty", I've heard. But "uncertainly"?

Certainly, "uncertainly".
--
Mark Brader | "The good [people] ended happily, and the bad unhappily.
Toronto | That is what Fiction means."

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 6, 2022, 12:01:41 PM12/6/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:39:10 +0000, Richard Heathfield
> <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:
> >On 06/12/2022 8:17 am, kyonshi wrote:

> >> Last week Merriam-Webster announced that its word of the year is
> >> “gaslighting” — psychological manipulation intended to make a
> >> person question the validity of their own thoughts.
> >And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
> >mode" is one word.
>
> No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
> the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
> expression".
>
> https://languages.oup.com/word-of-the-year/2022/

Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year ("gaslighting,"
this time) is simply the one lexical item that is most often looked
up on line during a year. Does Oxford Dictionaries reveal how they
make their choice?

"track candidates as they emerge throughout the year, analyzing
frequency statistics and other language data" is hardly rigorous.

Tony Cooper

Dec 6, 2022, 12:42:38 PM12/6/22
Once again, the answer to your question is at your fingertips.

The selection is determined by votes cast by the public. Oxford
selected three words/expressions and asked the public to vote between
"metaverse", "#StandWith", and "Goblin mode".

In the past, the selection was made by Oxford's editorial staff, so
it's assumed that the editorial staff suggested the three
words/expressions for the vote. Evidently, neither you nor I was
sent a ballot, but some 300,000 people did vote.

I don't see why the selection should be "rigorous". There's no
particular importance paid to the "honor". It's just a PR gimmick, or
a bit of fun, for Oxford.

https://www.cnet.com/culture/internet/theres-one-clear-choice-for-the-oxford-word-of-the-year/

Most "(term) of the Year" winners are subjective choices. _Time_
magazine's "Person of the Year" in 2019 was Greta Thunberg. It's
questionable that a Swedish enviornmental activist who got a lot of
face time on TV was more deserving of the honor than anyone else.

Maria Ressa, who you probably saw on Colbert recently, was a candidate
in 2019. I was much more impressed by Ressa than I was by Thunberg,
but that's my subjective opinion.

Mack A. Damia

Dec 6, 2022, 1:04:33 PM12/6/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 09:01:36 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:39:10 +0000, Richard Heathfield
>> <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>> >And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
>> >mode" is one word.
>>
>> No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
>> the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
>> expression".
>>
>> https://languages.oup.com/word-of-the-year/2022/
>
>Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year ("gaslighting,"
>this time) is simply the one lexical item that is most often looked
>up on line during a year.

Life imitating art.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 6, 2022, 2:59:56 PM12/6/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 12:42:38 PM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 09:01:36 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
> <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-5, Tony Cooper wrote:

> >> No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
> >> the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
> >> expression".
> >> https://languages.oup.com/word-of-the-year/2022/
> >Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year ("gaslighting,"
> >this time) is simply the one lexical item that is most often looked
> >up on line during a year. Does Oxford Dictionaries reveal how they
> >make their choice?
> >"track candidates as they emerge throughout the year, analyzing
> >frequency statistics and other language data" is hardly rigorous.
>
> Once again, the answer to your question is at your fingertips.

Hey moron, it is at your eyetips, as any non-dyslexic non-illiterate
reader can see between the quotation marks just above your
moronic comment.
--
"You overestimate my ability to understand what I'm looking at."
-- Tony Cooper, 10/08/2022

Tony Cooper

Dec 6, 2022, 5:18:51 PM12/6/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 11:59:53 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
You asked how Oxford make their choice. The quoted lines do not
answer that question. I provided the actual means of how the choice
was determined: a public vote.

Madhu

Dec 6, 2022, 10:18:40 PM12/6/22
* kyonshi <tmmtqg$6mmp$1...@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Tue, 6 Dec 2022 09:17:20 +0100:

> "Given the year we've just experienced, `goblin mode' resonates with
> all of us who are feeling a little overwhelmed at this point," said
> Oxford Languages President Casper Grathwohl.

The 'resonates' gives the game away.

CDB

Dec 7, 2022, 9:37:20 AM12/7/22
On 12/6/2022 12:01 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> Tony Cooper wrote:
>> Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>>> And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
>>> mode" is one word.

>> No, they didn't. You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word
>> of the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a
>> word or expression".

>> https://languages.oup.com/word-of-the-year/2022/

> Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year ("gaslighting," this
> time) is simply the one lexical item that is most often looked up on
> line during a year. Does Oxford Dictionaries reveal how they make
> their choice?

> "track candidates as they emerge throughout the year, analyzing
> frequency statistics and other language data" is hardly rigorous.

It doesn't have to be. The WOTY is a fun fact.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 7, 2022, 11:44:38 AM12/7/22
M-W's method is fact-based, the good one, the American Dialect
Society's, is democratic. The ADS draws up a list of ten candidates,
and at the annual meeting (held in conjunction with the Linguistic
Society of America, the first weekend in January) there's a crowded
room that makes the choice. The candidates are discussed, further
nominations are taken, and then there's a vote by all who are present
(whether ADS members or not).

This is only after quite a few other categories have been voted on
by the assembled crowd, which have recently included things like
"emoji of the year."

occam

Dec 7, 2022, 11:50:36 AM12/7/22
On 06/12/2022 17:25, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 06/12/2022 3:40 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:39:10 +0000, Richard Heathfield
>> <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>>> And this week Oxford demonstrates by announcing that "goblin
>>> mode" is one word.
>>
>> No, they didn't.  You have pounced on the singular "word" in "Word of
>> the Year", but Oxford defines their "Word of the Year" as "a word or
>> expression".
>
> I rest my case, m'lud.

Next, they will accept poetry, dance and mimes into the category. They
are forms of expression, are they not?

bruce bowser

Dec 8, 2022, 2:30:02 PM12/8/22
10 Real Goblins Caught on Camera