Political puns

Dingbat

Aug 5, 2021, 4:35:04 AM8/5/21
Political puns

Someone wrote:
> Trump was too busy saving America to get reelected.
> Ask Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity.

I said:
He was too busy making America grate to get elected.
Ingrates voted him out.
The mere spectre of his trying to make America great again
makes America grate again.

P.S. I'm still puzzling over why 4 Capitol police officers have committed suicide. I saw some poignant testimony of how they were treated by rioters. But what of it? If George Floyd had lived, would he have committed suicide? Do people roughed up by police commit suicide?

Tony Cooper

Aug 5, 2021, 9:07:14 AM8/5/21
You might familiarize yourself with PTSD to understand this.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

bruce bowser

Aug 5, 2021, 10:30:29 AM8/5/21
Journalist terms like pundit, media darling or wonky are strange. You don't hear these terms outside of the TV set, do you?

CDB

Aug 6, 2021, 7:07:00 AM8/6/21
I remember hearing about Mme Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit in the 1950s. I
believe she was India's ambassador to the UN.

I'm sure she was on the television news, but I didn't watch it in those
days.

ObAue: According to WP, "Pandit" is a title given to an expert in some
fields; it's pronounced "pundit".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandit

musika

Aug 6, 2021, 8:19:51 AM8/6/21
I imagine that the most well known would be Pandit Nehru.

--
Ray
UK

Janet

Aug 6, 2021, 8:22:04 AM8/6/21
In article <sej54f$1qb7$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, belle...@gmail.com says...
"Pundit " was a familiar tem in Br.E long before TV, or the 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pundit#Origins

Janet

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 6, 2021, 9:28:24 AM8/6/21
On 2021-08-06 11:06:52 +0000, CDB said:

> On 8/5/2021 10:30 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> Dingbat wrote:
>
>>> Political puns

>>> I said: He was too busy making America grate to get elected. Ingrates
>>> voted him out. The mere spectre of his trying to make
>>> America great again makes America grate again.
>
>>> P.S. I'm still puzzling over why 4 Capitol police officers have
>>> committed suicide. I saw some poignant testimony of how they were
>>> treated by rioters. But what of it? If George Floyd had lived,
>>> would he have committed suicide? Do people roughed up by police
>>> commit suicide?
>
>> Journalist terms like pundit, media darling or wonky are strange.
>> You don't hear these terms outside of the TV set, do you?
>
> I remember hearing about Mme Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit in the 1950s. I
> believe she was India's ambassador to the UN.

I recall, and Wikipedia confirms, that she was Jawaharlal Nehru's sister.

> I'm sure she was on the television news, but I didn't watch it in those
> days.
>
> ObAue: According to WP, "Pandit" is a title given to an expert in some
> fields; it's pronounced "pundit".
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandit

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

CDB

Aug 6, 2021, 10:14:01 AM8/6/21
On 8/6/2021 9:28 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> CDB said:
>> bruce bowser wrote:

>>> Journalist terms like pundit, media darling or wonky are
>>> strange. You don't hear these terms outside of the TV set, do
>>> you?

>> I remember hearing about Mme Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit in the 1950s. I
>> believe she was India's ambassador to the UN.

> I recall, and Wikipedia confirms, that she was Jawaharlal Nehru's
> sister.

And a whole lot of other things too. I did check with WP before
posting, AIMW, but here I merely wanted to address lhe Bozo's claim
about the TV set -- at that time my father was attached to Canada's UN
mission, so I heard her mentioned at the dinner-table, not on the telly.

bruce bowser

Aug 6, 2021, 11:39:59 AM8/6/21
Whoa !! Temper, temper, temper.