plural of Mercedes-Benz

alan auerbach F

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.

Al.

Dave Moorman

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <DMy3G...@info.uucp>, aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca (alan auerbach F)
wrote:

> Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
> but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't miss with this!

Dave

--
Dave Moorman Downers Grove Illinois USA

Clifton T. Sharp

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <DMy3G...@info.uucp> aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca (alan auerbach F) writes:
>but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.

Benzene?

--
Cliff Sharp There are days when no matter which
WA9PDM way you spit, it's upwind.

Michael B. Quinion

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
F) writes:
> Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
> but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
> Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.

The possible plurals all sound awkward. I'd go for the form you used in
your question: "two Mercedes-Benz cars".

Michael B Quinion <mic...@quinion.demon.co.uk> Thornbury, Bristol, UK
Michael Quinion Associates home page : <http://clever.net/mqa/>
World Wide Words : <http://clever.net/quinion/words/>

Albert Evans

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
On Feb 18, 1996 00:17:05 in article <plural of Mercedes-Benz>,

--
I like Oscar Hammerstein's solution:

No rides for us
On the top of a bus
In the face of the freezing breezes.
You reach your goals
In your comfy old Rolls
Or in one of your Mercedeses.

AE

Baty

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca (alan auerbach F) wrote:

>Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
>but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
>Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.
>
>Al.

Benzes. Or Mercedeses. Although I recently came across Mercedes as the
plural in a novel. Plurals of proper nouns are usually formed in the
standard manner, by adding "s" or "es." In the case of Benz, you need an
"es." Thank you for not suggesting Benz's.

Linda Baty

Mark Baker

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article <4g96m2$b...@maureen.teleport.com>,
Baty <ba...@teleport.com> writes:

>>but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
>

>Benzes. Or Mercedeses. Although I recently came across Mercedes as the
>plural in a novel.

"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
which is what most people would actually say.

ukarumpa

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96

how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars. Benzs? Benzes?
>Al.

How about - "two Mercedes-Benz cars"? Works for me

Roy Lakin

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article <4g9gq7$m...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Mark Baker <mn...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>which is what most people would actually say.

Unless they are power-boat freaks. "Merc" is short for "Mercury" then.

Roy

Stephen T MacGregor

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Tajpis lastatempe Mark Baker jene:

>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>which is what most people would actually say.

But to many Americans, "Mercs" is the plural of "Merc", short for
"Mercury", a model of Ford.

There is not enough darkness in the entire universe
to extinguish the light of a single candle.

Truly Donovan

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article <4g9gq7$m...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) writes:

>In article <4g96m2$b...@maureen.teleport.com>,
> Baty <ba...@teleport.com> writes:

>>>but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
>>
>>Benzes. Or Mercedeses. Although I recently came across Mercedes as the
>>plural in a novel.

>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,

>which is what most people would actually say.

"Mercs" in the US refers to products of the Lincoln-Mercury Division of the
Ford Motor Company, a far cry from the Mercedes. (Benz rarely gets a mention
any more.)

Truly Donovan

Bob Cunningham

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) wrote:

[...]

>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>which is what most people would actually say.

I wouldn't. To me, a merc is a Mercury.
---
BC | "Short words are best and the old words
LA | when short are best of all."
| -- Winston Churchill

Dave Moorman

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article <3128b0c6....@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, exw...@ix.netcom.com
(Bob Cunningham) wrote:

> mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
> >which is what most people would actually say.
> >
> I wouldn't. To me, a merc is a Mercury.

Absolutely! In the U.S. a "Merc" is a Mercury. I wonder if Mr. Baker is
actually saying "Mers", with the "s" sound for the "c" instead of the "k"
sound.

Mary S. Spaeth

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

> It has only been a minute or two since I posted the above, but I know
> it's already too late and I'm going to hear from half the residents of
> two different states. It was a *typo*, honest. I know where the other
> Portland is, and I know which one is MA and which one is ME. I just
> typed it wrong, that's all, it was just a careless mistake, and I didn't
> proofread and I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll never do it again,
> I promise, please forgive me.
>
> Linda
>
> Also, I think it's "Oh, lord, won't you *buy* me a Mercedes-Benz." Or is
> it? Oh, dear, I'm so confused.

Oh Shame on you!!!!

But it's clear that you know the temperament, or is that temperment, or
tempertantrument, of some of the readers in this group. But how do you
actually pronounce "mercedeses?"

Cheers!

--
Mary S. Spaeth
Northwestern University

Baty

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) wrote:
>In article <4g96m2$b...@maureen.teleport.com>,
> Baty <ba...@teleport.com> writes:
>
>>>but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
>>
>>Benzes. Or Mercedeses. Although I recently came across Mercedes as the
>>plural in a novel.
>
>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>which is what most people would actually say.

I stand corrected. I called the Mercedes-Benz dealer in Portland (OR,
not MA) and the woman who answered the phone assured me that it's one
Mercedes, two Mercedes. When I asked about Mercedes-Benz, she decided it
was one Mercedez-Benz, two Mercedes-Benz, but she didn't sound too sure
of that. I know I've heard Mercedeses, but it was probably from someone
like me who has never even been in a Mercedes, let alone owned one. Merc
confuses me, though. If someone told me he owned a Merc, I'd assume he
meant a Mercury. No doubt he'd be upset when I wasn't suitably
impressed.

"Oh, lord, won't you give me a Mercedes-Benz!" (Janis Joplin, right?)

Linda Thrasher

Baty

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Baty <ba...@teleport.com> wrote:

>I stand corrected. I called the Mercedes-Benz dealer in Portland (OR,
>not MA) and the woman who answered the phone assured me that it's one
>Mercedes, two Mercedes. When I asked about Mercedes-Benz, she decided it
>was one Mercedez-Benz, two Mercedes-Benz, but she didn't sound too sure
>of that. I know I've heard Mercedeses, but it was probably from someone
>like me who has never even been in a Mercedes, let alone owned one. Merc
>confuses me, though. If someone told me he owned a Merc, I'd assume he
>meant a Mercury. No doubt he'd be upset when I wasn't suitably
>impressed.
>
>"Oh, lord, won't you give me a Mercedes-Benz!" (Janis Joplin, right?)
>
>Linda Thrasher

ukarumpa

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <3128b0c6....@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, exw...@ix.netcom.com (Bob Cunningham) says:

>mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>>which is what most people would actually say.
>>
> I wouldn't. To me, a merc is a Mercury.

In Australia, and probably therefore in Britain (I'm assuming cam.ac.uk to
be from Britain) also, a Mercedes-Benz is colloquially known as a Merc [m_k].

In fact, I don't even know what a Mercury is - although some guy told me
the other day that he drove an Eagle Talon, which COMPLETELY threw me
until he explained that it is evidently a Chrysler jeep. I was envisioning
something from the tales of Sinbad and the roc, perhaps...?

Tobias Benjamin Koehler

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
alan auerbach F (aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca) wrote:

> Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)

> but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.

> Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.

What about: two Daimlers?
In Schwaben they are called Daimler.. and that's where they are
made!

--
tobias benjamin koehler ,-/o"O`--.._ _/(_
t.ko...@tu-bs.de _,-o'.|o 0 'O o O`o--'. e\

Mark Odegard

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
y000...@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Tobias Benjamin Koehler) wrote:

>alan auerbach F (aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca) wrote:
>
>> Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
>> but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
>> Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.
>
>What about: two Daimlers?
>In Schwaben they are called Daimler.. and that's where they
>are made!

A Daimler is an opulent classic car. The Mercedes is it's
descendent? (Yeah, I've heard the tale that the Mercedes is
named after Mercedes Daimler, Daimler's daughter).

--
Mark Odegard mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com

Malte Borcherding

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4gfir8$1...@ra.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>, y000...@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Tobias Benjamin Koehler) writes:
|> alan auerbach F (aaue...@mach1.wlu.ca) wrote:
|>
|> > Don't ask me why (it's a long but legitimate story)
|> > but I need to know how to refer to two Mercedes-Benz cars.
|> > Benzs? Benzes? Thanks if you know.
|>
|> What about: two Daimlers?
|> In Schwaben they are called Daimler.. and that's where they are
|> made!

Funny, they are called Benz in Baden, for that's where Carl Benz lived.
BTW, "Daimler" could be confused with the Jaguar Daimler (not in Swabia,
of course).

Malte

Malte Borcherding, bor...@ira.uka.de, http://goethe.ira.uka.de/people/borcher/

Rex Knepp

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
Baty (ba...@teleport.com) wrote:
: Baty <ba...@teleport.com> wrote:
: >
: >"Oh, lord, won't you give me a Mercedes-Benz!" (Janis Joplin, right?)

: Also, I think it's "Oh, lord, won't you *buy* me a Mercedes-Benz." Or is

: it? Oh, dear, I'm so confused.

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
I've worked all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
Oh, Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz.

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.

Yes, it was JJ (1947?-1970?); also recorded by the somewhat less flamboyant
but probably more talented Buffy Sainte Marie. Now being used in television
commercials for the latests baby Benzes, my wife's copy of _Pearl_ is too
scratched up to verify whether it's the original or just a sound-alike.

JJ was a student (non-graduate, I think) of a high school in Galveston,
TX. One of her classmates was former Dallas Cowboy head coach, now Miami
Dolphin head coach, Jimmy Johnson. He's had some interesting things to
say about Janis on occasion...

-30-

rex

kn...@hou.moc.com
Rex Knepp - Marathon Oil Company - Tyler, TX
Marathon has no opinions: these are, therefore, mine.

Steven Joseph Marzuola

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96

:
: Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
: Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
: I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
: Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.

There's one more verse, that starts off:

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
I'm counting on you, Lord, so please don't let me down.

There may be something about a "frown", but otherwise I don't
remember the last two lines. On the album, after this verse, she
laughs and says, "That's it!"

: Yes, it was JJ (1947?-1970?); also recorded by the somewhat less flamboyant

: but probably more talented Buffy Sainte Marie. Now being used in television
: commercials for the latests baby Benzes, my wife's copy of _Pearl_ is too
: scratched up to verify whether it's the original or just a sound-alike.

P. S. For non-USAns: the Mercedes TV commercial here has (I
believe) no spoken words or even printed ones, only scenes of a big
Mercedes being driven around, and the first verse of Janis' song,
plus the laugh and the "That's it!" It is Janis, BTW. Time
Magazine mentioned it a few weeks ago.

: JJ was a student (non-graduate, I think) of a high school in Galveston,

: TX. One of her classmates was former Dallas Cowboy head coach, now Miami
: Dolphin head coach, Jimmy Johnson. He's had some interesting things to
: say about Janis on occasion...

I think they were both from Beaumont. Of course, Beaumont,
Galveston and some other place (Port Arthur?) make up the "Golden
Triangle" area of Texas. (That expression must have come from a
Chamber of Commerce somewhere ...)

--
Steven Marzuola (marz...@owlnet.rice.edu)
"All the money that Colombia invests in fighting drugs should be

Peter Adams

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4gg5oe$q...@pipe5.nyc.pipeline.com>, Mark Odegard
<mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com> writes

>A Daimler is an opulent classic car. The Mercedes is it's
>descendent? (Yeah, I've heard the tale that the Mercedes is
>named after Mercedes Daimler, Daimler's daughter).

It's a bit more complicated than that. Gottlieb Daimler was originally a
gunsmith who developed an interest in petrol engines and eventually
started the Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft in 1890. In 1897, Emil
Jellinek, who was the Austrian consul general in Nice, undertook to sell
Daimler cars provided they were named after his ten year old daughter,
Mercedes. In 1926, Daimler merged with Benz to form the Daimler-Benz AG.

The Daimler Motor Syndicate was formed in England in 1893 to exploit
Gottlieb Daimler's motor patents. Though Daimler himself was a director
until 1898, the English and German concerns went their separate ways. In
1904 the name was changed to the Daimler Motor Company and this was the
firm that became famous for stately motorcars. The British Royal Family
used Daimlers until the present Queen changed to Rolls-Royce.
--
Peter Adams
Lincolnshire, England

Beeswing

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
marz...@great-horned.owlnet.rice.edu (Steven Joseph Marzuola) wrote:
>In article <4ght5r$3...@uuneo.neosoft.com> kn...@starbase.neosoft.com (Rex Knepp) writes:
>
> : Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz
> : My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
> : I've worked all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
> : Oh, Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz.
> :
> : Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
> : Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
> : I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
> : Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.
>
>There's one more verse, that starts off:
>
> Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
> I'm counting on you, Lord, so please don't let me down.
>
>There may be something about a "frown", but otherwise I don't
>remember the last two lines.

If I recall right, the next couple lines are actually:

Prove that you love me, and buy the next round.
Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town.

bees...@aol.com

Mark Baker

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <dmoorman-190...@d165.nb.interaccess.com>,
dmoo...@interaccess.com (Dave Moorman) writes:

>> >"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
>> >which is what most people would actually say.
>> >
>> I wouldn't. To me, a merc is a Mercury.
>

>Absolutely! In the U.S. a "Merc" is a Mercury. I wonder if Mr. Baker is
>actually saying "Mers", with the "s" sound for the "c" instead of the "k"
>sound.

No, I'm saying "Mercs", presumably as you do when you mean "Mercury".

I'll have to remember not to say it in the US :)

Tobias Benjamin Koehler

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
Rex Knepp (kn...@starbase.neosoft.com) wrote:

> Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz
> My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
> I've worked all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
> Oh, Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz.

> Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
> Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
> I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
> Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.

When I first heard this, I wasn't aware that this was the
American pronunciation of Mercedes-Benz, so I thought it was
`Mercy dispense' or something. :)

I also heard a German version of the song.

Lieber Gott, bitte kauf mir 'nen Mercedes-Benz.
Meine Freunde fahr'n Porsche und machen sich 'nen schönen Lenz

Must have been Klaus Lage or so, from the voice.

unci

KKKKatie

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
In article <4ght5r$3...@uuneo.neosoft.com>
kn...@starbase.neosoft.com "Rex Knepp" writes:

<snip>

> Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
> Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
> I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
> Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.

Please, tell me someone, what is Dialling for Dollars?

Kate
--
They told me the thing just couldn't be done
With a smile I went right to it

Peter Hoogenboom

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Dave Moorman (dmoo...@interaccess.com) wrote:

: > mn...@cam.ac.uk (Mark Baker) wrote:
: >
: > [...]
: >
: > >"Mercedes" is all I've ever heard used. Apart from "Mercs" of course,
: > >which is what most people would actually say.

[Bob Cunningham points out that a "Merc" is a Mercury in the USA]

: Absolutely! In the U.S. a "Merc" is a Mercury. I wonder if Mr. Baker is

: actually saying "Mers", with the "s" sound for the "c" instead of the "k"
: sound.

I doubt it, or he would have written "Merces."

Mercedes-Benzes, Benzes, Mercedeses, or Mercedeses-Benz?

Peter

--
Peter Hoogenboom phoo...@wlu.edu
Department of Music, DuPont 208 hoogen...@fs.sciences.wlu.edu

XXdant

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <825372...@carterce.demon.co.uk>, KKKKatie
<Ka...@carterce.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Please, tell me someone, what is Dialling for Dollars?

I knew someone was going to ask this.

In the 60s, this was a contest on many tv stations, produced locally.
Generally it worked like this: the station would be showing a movie and
have an intermission for Dialing-for-Dallars. An announcer would come on
and show that week's prize money. He would then dial a phone number chosen
randomly from the phone book. If the person answering the call could
correctly tell what the prize was, they would win it. If the prize was
awarded, the next week the amount would be set back to whatever value they
started from (usually $100), otherwise it would be incremented by $5. The
idea was to encourage people to watch the movie so they would know what
the prize was worth.

If the prizes seem low, remember that this was the 60s and that $100 would
be worth about $500 in today's money.

--
Dan Tilque

David Casseres

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <4gi7si$i...@larry.rice.edu>,

marz...@great-horned.owlnet.rice.edu (Steven Joseph Marzuola) wrote:

> In article <4ght5r$3...@uuneo.neosoft.com> kn...@starbase.neosoft.com
(Rex Knepp) writes:

> : Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz

> : My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
> : I've worked all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

> : Oh, Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz.
> :
> : Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,

> : Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
> : I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
> : Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.
>

> There's one more verse, that starts off:
>
> Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
> I'm counting on you, Lord, so please don't let me down.
>
> There may be something about a "frown", but otherwise I don't

> remember the last two lines. On the album, after this verse, she
> laughs and says, "That's it!"

Prove that you love me, and buy the next round;
Oh, Lord won't you buy me a night on the town.

--
David Casseres
Exclaimer: Hey!

Brian J. Livingston

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a particle beam,
My friends all have H-bombs, I must be supreme.

That's all I remember.

Christopher C Stead

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, KKKKatie wrote:
> In article <4ght5r$3...@uuneo.neosoft.com>
> kn...@starbase.neosoft.com "Rex Knepp" writes:
> <snip>

> > Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color teevee,
> > Dial(l)ing for Dollars is trying to reach me.
> > I'll wait for delivery each day until three.
> > Oh, Lord won't you buy me a color teevee.

> Please, tell me someone, what is Dialling for Dollars?

Dialing for Dollars was a TV show which aired sometime in the sixties
when I was a kid. I never watched it. Mommy said it was tacky.

> Kate
> --
> They told me the thing just couldn't be done
> With a smile I went right to it
> I tackled the thing that couldn't be done
> And found that I couldn't do it.

Chris Stead, Noted Authority
"Better to drink life in one flaming hour
And reel across the sun
Than to sip pale years
And cower before eternity."
James Graham, First Marquess of Montrose
The opinions expressed in this posting are neither mine nor anyone else's.
http://www.olemiss.edu/~ckstead

Phil Gustafson

Mar 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/3/96
"Oh, dear. My expensive Teutonic vehicle got clobbered in the parking lot."

"Well, that's the way the Mercedes Benz."

Phil

Polar

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
On Thu, 07 Mar 1996 10:07:46 GMT, hedb...@hooked.net (Hedbanger)