Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

HVS

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 05:28:0323.06.22
an
There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
spell-it, I guess.)

It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of
an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see
if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

--
Cheers, Harvey

CDB

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 07:22:0523.06.22
an
Antigone was brave and pious.

A friend of my father's, after dining with us, swore he would name his
next daughter "Aubergine". Luckily for little Gina, she was never
conceived.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 08:22:5623.06.22
an
On 23/06/22 21:21, CDB wrote:
> On 6/23/2022 5:27 AM, HVS wrote:
>
>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of
>> Greek Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i";
>> speak-it-and- spell-it, I guess.)
>
>> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring
>> of an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not
>> checked to see if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)

> Antigone was brave and pious.
>
> A friend of my father's, after dining with us, swore he would name
> his next daughter "Aubergine". Luckily for little Gina, she was
> never conceived.

As I recall it, Aubergine has a lewd meaning for anyone who has read
"The Sot-weed Factor". Or am I thinking of a different vegetable?

Peter T. Daniels

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 10:26:0423.06.22
an
On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 8:22:56 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 23/06/22 21:21, CDB wrote:
> > On 6/23/2022 5:27 AM, HVS wrote:
> >
> >> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of
> >> Greek Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i";
> >> speak-it-and- spell-it, I guess.)
> >
> >> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring
> >> of an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not
> >> checked to see if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
> Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)

Chastity Bono (daughter of Sonny and Cher) changed their name
to Chaz when he transitioned.

(Is that an acceptable, or creative, use of pronouns?)

> > Antigone was brave and pious.
> > A friend of my father's, after dining with us, swore he would name
> > his next daughter "Aubergine". Luckily for little Gina, she was
> > never conceived.
>
> As I recall it, Aubergine has a lewd meaning for anyone who has read
> "The Sot-weed Factor". Or am I thinking of a different vegetable?

Is that why the eggplant emoji means what it means? Might be
a bit abstruse.

Tak To

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 10:49:3123.06.22
an
On 6/23/2022 8:21 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 23/06/22 21:21, CDB wrote:
>> On 6/23/2022 5:27 AM, HVS wrote:
>>
>>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of
>>> Greek Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i";
>>> speak-it-and- spell-it, I guess.)
>>
>>> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring
>>> of an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not
>>> checked to see if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>
> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
> Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)

Interesting. I think Chastity and Prudence would illicit teases
but Chlamydia could illicit insults.

Is "Karen" thoroughly skunked?

>> Antigone was brave and pious.
>>
>> A friend of my father's, after dining with us, swore he would name
>> his next daughter "Aubergine". Luckily for little Gina, she was
>> never conceived.
>
> As I recall it, Aubergine has a lewd meaning for anyone who has read
> "The Sot-weed Factor". Or am I thinking of a different vegetable?

I haven't read the book, but the younger generations, if they
know the word at all, are more likely to beware of what the
corresponding emoji stands for (the counterpart of what the
taco emoji stands for).

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

occam

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 10:57:2023.06.22
an
On 23/06/2022 11:27, HVS wrote:
> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> spell-it, I guess.)
>
> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of
> an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go.

That was a while ago. We're talking 2500 years. And the story comes
from Greek mythology. In the real world, very few of your fellow humans
give a fig.

On the bright side, one day she may become aunty Antigoni. The two will
cancel out.

lar3ryca

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 13:02:2723.06.22
an
"beware". Typo or portmanteau word of 'be aware'?

This is something our local newsreaders on both radio and TV do all the
time.

Montrealouettes, for example.

Of course they aren't typing it, just reading it.

--
When you wake up in middle of a dream, do people in your dream say "Wow!
He just disappeared!"?

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 13:19:5723.06.22
an
On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 3:28:03 AM UTC-6, HVS wrote:
> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> spell-it, I guess.)

Yes, because you say it it that way, that's the romanization favored by
the Greeks, as in "Thessaloniki" and "Samothraki", both of which also
end in eta.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/maps-of-greece-1526137

> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of
> an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see
> if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

It seems there were versions of the myth where Antigone was the
daughter of Oedipus' second wife, Euryganeia (who may have been
his mother's sister, so it's not that unincestuous).

https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/Mortals/Euryganeia/euryganeia.html

That's not Sophocles' version, though.

--
Jerry Friedman

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
23.06.2022, 22:39:1823.06.22
an
To become Agoni Aunt.

CDB

ungelesen,
24.06.2022, 07:07:2524.06.22
an
On 6/23/2022 8:21 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> HVS wrote:

>>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of
>>> Greek Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i";
>>> speak-it-and- spell-it, I guess.)

>>> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the
>>> offspring of an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go.
>>> (I've not checked to see if she has a sister called
>>> "Chlamydia".)

> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like
> Chastity or Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)

>> Antigone was brave and pious.

>> A friend of my father's, after dining with us, swore he would name
>> his next daughter "Aubergine". Luckily for little Gina, she was
>> never conceived.

> As I recall it, Aubergine has a lewd meaning for anyone who has read
> "The Sot-weed Factor". Or am I thinking of a different vegetable?

No hanky-panky at table. This guy had had it stuffed and au gratin.

No, wait.

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
24.06.2022, 10:02:3324.06.22
an
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:19:52 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 3:28:03 AM UTC-6, HVS wrote:
>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> spell-it, I guess.)
>
>Yes, because you say it it that way, that's the romanization favored by
>the Greeks, as in "Thessaloniki" and "Samothraki", both of which also
>end in eta.

There was a young man from Samothrace
who bet half a crown on a mammoth race

Find another rhyme, and you can complete the limerick.

Mack A. Damia

ungelesen,
24.06.2022, 10:31:0724.06.22
an
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS <off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:
One of the gals I worked with in the Recorder of Deed's office
(mentioned before) was called , "Clydette".

CDB

ungelesen,
24.06.2022, 10:47:1424.06.22
an
On 6/24/2022 10:02 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> HVS wrote:

>>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of
>>> Greek Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i";
>>> speak-it-and- spell-it, I guess.)

>> Yes, because you say it it that way, that's the romanization
>> favored by the Greeks, as in "Thessaloniki" and "Samothraki", both
>> of which also end in eta.

> There was a young man from Samothrace who bet half a crown on a
> mammoth race ...

> Find another rhyme, and you can complete the limerick.

There was a young fellow of Samothrace
Who bet half a crown on a mammoth race.
He hoped, with his winnings
To purchase an innings
With that widely praised hetaira, Femme o' Thrace.

Anders D. Nygaard

ungelesen,
25.06.2022, 06:48:1625.06.22
an
Den 23-06-2022 kl. 16:49 skrev Tak To:
> On 6/23/2022 8:21 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
>> Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)
>
> Interesting. I think Chastity and Prudence would illicit teases
> but Chlamydia could illicit insults.

Oy!

/Anders, Denmark

Quinn C

ungelesen,
25.06.2022, 10:21:4125.06.22
an
* Jerry Friedman:

> On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 3:28:03 AM UTC-6, HVS wrote:
>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> spell-it, I guess.)
>
> Yes, because you say it it that way, that's the romanization favored by
> the Greeks, as in "Thessaloniki" and "Samothraki", both of which also
> end in eta.

See my colleague Eleni (Helen), or a fellow student back in the day,
Dimitra (don't ask me where the -a came from). Or Aphroditi Sports Hall,
also on Cyprus.

--
If this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered
from A to Z. From axe to... zee other axe.

Quinn C

ungelesen,
25.06.2022, 10:21:4525.06.22
an
* Tak To:

> On 6/23/2022 8:21 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
>> Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)
>
> Interesting. I think Chastity and Prudence would illicit teases
> but Chlamydia could illicit insults.

Or even elicit those illicit insults.

> Is "Karen" thoroughly skunked?

I don't think so; the fashion of using it as an insult seems to be
largely over.

--
- There's someone here wanting to audition. - OK, Who is he?
- Well, it's not exactly a he. - OK, Who is she?

Madhu

ungelesen,
25.06.2022, 21:48:0325.06.22
an
* CDB <t94ipd$13l2$1...@gioia.aioe.org> :
Wrote on Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:47:02 -0400:

> On 6/24/2022 10:02 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[the myths probably stopped being relevant when the family name was
established: Antigonis are named after prominent Antigonis]

>>> Yes, because you say it it that way, that's the romanization
>>> favored by the Greeks, as in "Thessaloniki" and "Samothraki", both
>>> of which also end in eta.
>
>> There was a young man from Samothrace who bet half a crown on a
>> mammoth race ...
>
>> Find another rhyme, and you can complete the limerick.
>
> There was a young fellow of Samothrace
> Who bet half a crown on a mammoth race.
> He hoped, with his winnings
> To purchase an innings
> With that widely praised hetaira, Femme o' Thrace.

<applause>

CDB

ungelesen,
26.06.2022, 06:40:0326.06.22
an
On 6/25/2022 9:47 PM, Madhu wrote:
> CDB <t94ipd$13l2$1...@gioia.aioe.org> wrote:

[challenge]

>> There was a young fellow of Samothrace Who bet half a crown on a
>> mammoth race. He hoped, with his winnings To purchase an innings
>> With that widely praised hetaira, Femme o' Thrace.

> <applause>

Thank you. And thank you for giving me an excuse to correct myself.

Apparently I have been pronouncing the word wrong all these years: it's
"heTIGHra" [hE'tajr@]; so the last line must become

"With that far-famed hetaira, the Femme o' Thrace".

Or "hetaera". What you don't learn looking things up, these days.

Dingbat

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 04:52:4303.07.22
an
This is a strange name for a Russian; it looks German:

Trachtenberg spent years in a concentration camp. To preserve his sanity, he spent the time working out how to do calculations in his head. He had no paper to write down his method, so he had to focus on things that could be
done purely mentally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

The Wiki calls him a Russian engineer.

Ruud Harmsen

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 07:04:2703.07.22
an
Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:

>On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 2:58:03 PM UTC+5:30, HVS wrote:
>> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> spell-it, I guess.)

Because eta sound the same as iota in Modern Greek.

>> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of
>> an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see
>> if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Ruud Harmsen

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 07:06:3403.07.22
an
Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:
>This is a strange name for a Russian; it looks German:
>
>Trachtenberg spent years in a concentration camp. To preserve his sanity, he spent the time working out how to do calculations in his head. He had no paper to write down his method, so he had to focus on things that could be
>done purely mentally.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system
>
>The Wiki calls him a Russian engineer.

Many Russian and other East-Europeans of Jewish descent have Russian
sounding names.

Ruud Harmsen

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 07:12:1903.07.22
an
Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:
>Trachtenberg spent years in a concentration camp. To preserve his sanity, he spent the time working out how to do calculations in his head. He had no paper to write down his method, so he had to focus on things that could be
>done purely mentally.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system
>
>The Wiki calls him a Russian engineer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakow_Trachtenberg
Born in Odessa in 1888. Then part of Lithuania, de facto under Russian
rule. Part of the Pale of Settlement,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement, an area where on
orders of Catharina the Great Jews were allowed to live. (But not
because she liked them.) Many after fleeing pogroms further West, in
Germany.

9 out of 10 that Trachtenberg was a Jew and had Yiddish as his native
tongue.

Steve Hayes

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 11:56:4003.07.22
an
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:

> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> spell-it, I guess.)

Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.

> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
> incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
> she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.

Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 13:15:1003.07.22
an
On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:12:19 AM UTC-6, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
> <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:
> >Trachtenberg spent years in a concentration camp. To preserve his sanity, he spent the time working out how to do calculations in his head. He had no paper to write down his method, so he had to focus on things that could be
> >done purely mentally.
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system
> >
> >The Wiki calls him a Russian engineer.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakow_Trachtenberg
> Born in Odessa in 1888. Then part of Lithuania,

You mean Ukraine?

> de facto under Russian
> rule. Part of the Pale of Settlement,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement, an area where on
> orders of Catharina the Great Jews were allowed to live.

We call her Catherine the Great, despite the <a> at the end of her
Russian name.

> (But not
> because she liked them.) Many after fleeing pogroms further West, in
> Germany.
>
> 9 out of 10 that Trachtenberg was a Jew and had Yiddish as his native
> tongue.

The Wikipedia article is in such categories as "Odessa Jews", but I
wouldn't trust that.

There were plenty of non-Jewish Germans in Russia too.

--
Jerry Friedman

Ruud Harmsen

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 14:05:2703.07.22
an
Sun, 3 Jul 2022 10:15:06 -0700 (PDT): Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> scribeva:

>On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:12:19 AM UTC-6, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
>> Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
>> <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:
>> >Trachtenberg spent years in a concentration camp. To preserve his sanity, he spent the time working out how to do calculations in his head. He had no paper to write down his method, so he had to focus on things that could be
>> >done purely mentally.
>> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system
>> >
>> >The Wiki calls him a Russian engineer.
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakow_Trachtenberg
>> Born in Odessa in 1888. Then part of Lithuania,
>
>You mean Ukraine?

No, Lithuania.

>> de facto under Russian
>> rule. Part of the Pale of Settlement,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement, an area where on
>> orders of Catharina the Great Jews were allowed to live.
>
>We call her Catherine the Great, despite the <a> at the end of her
>Russian name.

She was originally German, anyway.

>> (But not
>> because she liked them.) Many after fleeing pogroms further West, in
>> Germany.
>>
>> 9 out of 10 that Trachtenberg was a Jew and had Yiddish as his native
>> tongue.
>
>The Wikipedia article is in such categories as "Odessa Jews", but I
>wouldn't trust that.
>
>There were plenty of non-Jewish Germans in Russia too.

Quite possibly, yes.

Ruud Harmsen

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 14:13:2303.07.22
an
Sun, 03 Jul 2022 20:05:23 +0200: Ruud Harmsen <r...@rudhar.com>
scribeva:

>Sun, 3 Jul 2022 10:15:06 -0700 (PDT): Jerry Friedman
><jerry_f...@yahoo.com> scribeva:
>
>>On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:12:19 AM UTC-6, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
>>> Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:52:41 -0700 (PDT): Dingbat
>>> <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> scribeva:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakow_Trachtenberg
>>> Born in Odessa in 1888. Then part of Lithuania,
>>
>>You mean Ukraine?
>
>No, Lithuania.

No, I was wrong. That was much earlier. The right answer is:
Russia.

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 14:23:0903.07.22
an
True. I hadn't realized that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania had once extended
to the Black Sea, though, so thanks.

--
Jerry Friedman

Quinn C

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 16:11:4403.07.22
an
* Ruud Harmsen:
According to WP, for about a hundred years only, and for most of that
time, there was no major settlement in the area. Odessa itself was
founded in 1794, and stayed Russian until 1920.

--
Be afraid of the lame - They'll inherit your legs
Be afraid of the old - They'll inherit your souls

bruce bowser

ungelesen,
03.07.2022, 16:44:2103.07.22
an
On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 10:21:45 AM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Tak To:

> >> Would it be worse to have a name like Chlamydia, or one like Chastity or
> >> Prudence? (The latter two used to be common.)
> >
> > Interesting. I think Chastity and Prudence would illicit teases
> > but Chlamydia could illicit insults.
>
> Or even elicit those illicit insults.

Then with illicit, is ill it?

> > Is "Karen" thoroughly skunked?
>
> I don't think so; the fashion of using it as an insult seems to be
> largely over.

I would hope so if one was Los Angeles' mayoral candidate.

occam

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 06:37:5105.07.22
an
On 23/06/2022 11:27, HVS wrote:
> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> spell-it, I guess.)
>
> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of
> an incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see
> if she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

I'll see your 'Antigoni', and I'll raise you a 'Huh'.

Here's the winner of the Fields Medal (the highest honour in
Mathematics) called June Huh. Hah! Not only is his name
out-of-the-ordinary, his first name is a real gender-bender too.

<https://www.quantamagazine.org/june-huh-high-school-dropout-wins-the-fields-medal-20220705/>

CDB

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 08:43:2005.07.22
an
Our

landlords in New York were June and Olga Carter. "June" for Junius.

bruce bowser

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 09:05:4005.07.22
an
I once dated a girl named Juniper.

Peter T. Daniels

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 10:22:2605.07.22
an
<Huh> is an English spelling attempting to approximate
the pronunciation of the common Chinese name transliterated
<He> in pinyin.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 18:45:3805.07.22
an
That Chinese <e> is often written "Er" by Chinese who live in Australia.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 21:47:5605.07.22
an
And, as all old-timers here know, AmE "uh" is exactly the same vowel as
BrE "er".

(And Australian "uh" is completely different, because it uses the "cup"
vowel.)

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
05.07.2022, 21:48:5605.07.22
an
Did anyone else get the impression, while reading that web page, of an
idiot savant?

occam

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 01:50:1606.07.22
an
Differently gifted certainly, but not an idiot savant. The latter term,
if I understand it correctly, is a hard-wired gift (think Rain Man)
without the accompanying deep understanding of the nature of things.
This guy (June Her, Australian spelling?) has a mind that sees patterns
where others don't.

CDB

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 07:05:1806.07.22
an
On 7/5/2022 10:22 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
"June Huh". I once met a Chinese man named Jun; his name meant "army".

--
Jun min yi jia.

bruce bowser

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 10:13:5806.07.22
an
On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 1:50:16 AM UTC-4, occam wrote:
> On 06/07/2022 03:48, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> I'll see your 'Antigoni', and I'll raise you a 'Huh'.
> >>
> >> Here's the winner of the Fields Medal (the highest honour in
> >> Mathematics) called June Huh. Hah! Not only is his name
> >> out-of-the-ordinary, his first name is a real gender-bender too.
> >>
> >> <https://www.quantamagazine.org/june-huh-high-school-dropout-wins-the-fields-medal-20220705/>
> >
> > Did anyone else get the impression, while reading that web page, of an
> > idiot savant?
>
> Differently gifted certainly, but not an idiot savant. The latter term,
> if I understand it correctly, is a hard-wired gift (think Rain Man)

You blindly assume that the young generation here has seen that now-older movie?

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 11:18:1906.07.22
an
In my AmE, "uh" also uses the "cup" vowel.

occam

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 12:00:3206.07.22
an
"...the young generation here?". Bowser, there are only two generations
hanging out here: "mature" and "stupid". Which are you?

lar3ryca

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 13:28:3306.07.22
an
As my CdnE.

Same for my 'um', which the Brits spell 'erm".

--
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.”

bruce bowser

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 14:01:4206.07.22
an
I guess you're saying that there are three choices: "young generation", "mature" and "stupid". Maybe you can tell us which you are?

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
06.07.2022, 20:27:0306.07.22
an
Yes, but your "cup" vowel is probably very different from mine. In fact,
my "cup" is probably closer to your "cop".

Kerr-Mudd, John

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 06:30:5107.07.22
an
On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 10:26:59 +1000
Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 07/07/22 01:18, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 11:47:52 +1000, Peter Moylan
> > <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> >> And, as all old-timers here know, AmE "uh" is exactly the same
> >> vowel as BrE "er".
> >>
> >> (And Australian "uh" is completely different, because it uses the
> >> "cup" vowel.)
> >
> > In my AmE, "uh" also uses the "cup" vowel.
>
> Yes, but your "cup" vowel is probably very different from mine. In fact,
> my "cup" is probably closer to your "cop".

The legendary joke about Noddy from Slade was that he liked a nice Kipper Tie.
(Fast Show? no, earlier)
https://soundchecks.co.uk/noddy-holder-straight-from-his-own-gob/

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Quinn C

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 13:21:1007.07.22
an
* Peter T. Daniels:
I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being of
Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".

--
If you tell the person the etymology of "fish," they’ll have good
facts for a day. If you teach them to look up the etymology of the

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 14:33:3607.07.22
an
On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 10:26:59 +1000, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 07/07/22 01:18, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 11:47:52 +1000, Peter Moylan
>> <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>>> And, as all old-timers here know, AmE "uh" is exactly the same
>>> vowel as BrE "er".
>>>
>>> (And Australian "uh" is completely different, because it uses the
>>> "cup" vowel.)
>>
>> In my AmE, "uh" also uses the "cup" vowel.
>
>Yes, but your "cup" vowel is probably very different from mine. In fact,
>my "cup" is probably closer to your "cop".

Ah, OK.

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 15:15:0007.07.22
an
It would probably sound to me as if it was between "cop" and "cap".

--
Jerry Friedman

lar3ryca

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 16:58:1007.07.22
an
On 2022-07-07 11:21, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter T. Daniels:

>>> I'll see your 'Antigoni', and I'll raise you a 'Huh'.
>>>
>>> Here's the winner of the Fields Medal (the highest honour in
>>> Mathematics) called June Huh. Hah! Not only is his name
>>> out-of-the-ordinary, his first name is a real gender-bender too.
>>>
>>> <https://www.quantamagazine.org/june-huh-high-school-dropout-wins-the-fields-medal-20220705/>
>>
>> <Huh> is an English spelling attempting to approximate
>> the pronunciation of the common Chinese name transliterated
>> <He> in pinyin.
>
> I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being of
> Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".

Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A few
days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his name as
"Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name "Wong", and
they have always spelled it "Wong'.

--
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Peter T. Daniels

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 17:22:1507.07.22
an
On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 4:58:10 PM UTC-4, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-07-07 11:21, Quinn C wrote:
> > * Peter T. Daniels:

> >> <Huh> is an English spelling attempting to approximate
> >> the pronunciation of the common Chinese name transliterated
> >> <He> in pinyin.
> > I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being of
> > Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".
>
> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A few

Define "standard."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Chinese

> days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his name as
> "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name "Wong", and
> they have always spelled it "Wong'.

How many generations have they been using that spelling?

Richard Heathfield

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 17:41:1507.07.22
an
On 07/07/2022 9:58 pm, lar3ryca wrote:

<snip>

> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names?
> A few days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they
> pronounced his name as "Wong". I have known a few people who
> pronounced their name "Wong", and they have always spelled it
> "Wong'.

But that's Wight, isn't it?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Mack A. Damia

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 17:59:4307.07.22
an
In Miranda July's film, "Kajillionaire", the girl's first name is "Old
Dolio".

Apparently, Old Dolio was a hobo who was befriended by her parents. He
won the lottery, and they named their daughter after him; they hoped
that he would leave them money in his will, but he spent it all on
quack cancer cures before he died.

Very strange film. Sign of the times?

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 19:44:0207.07.22
an
On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 2:58:10 PM UTC-6, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-07-07 11:21, Quinn C wrote:
> > * Peter T. Daniels:

> >> <Huh> is an English spelling attempting to approximate
> >> the pronunciation of the common Chinese name transliterated
> >> <He> in pinyin.
> >
> > I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being of
> > Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".

> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names?

No, though modern people from the PRC may well use Pinyin.

> A few
> days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his name as
> "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name "Wong", and
> they have always spelled it "Wong'.

People may spell their names to show the pronunciation in their variety of
Chinese, whereas pinyin is based on Modern Standard Mandarin. Also,
we Americans and (I assume) Canadians mispronounce pinyin "Wang" and
"Wong" to rhyme with our pronunciation of "sang" and "song", and lots of
Chinese-Americans and (I assume) Canadians go along.

--
Jerry Friedman

Sam Plusnet

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 19:54:3907.07.22
an
On 07-Jul-22 22:41, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 07/07/2022 9:58 pm, lar3ryca wrote:

>> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A
>> few days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his
>> name as "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name
>> "Wong", and they have always spelled it "Wong'.
>
> But that's Wight, isn't it?

Isle believe you.

--
Sam Plusnet

Dingbat

ungelesen,
07.07.2022, 23:30:2307.07.22
an
Chinese people named Wong don't pronounce it like Anglophones pronounce
Wong. I once practiced the pronunciation of Putonghua with the help of a
Tibetan from China. It too has <ong>.

Lewis

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 10:22:0208.07.22
an
In message <2pnfch5c6b713ldls...@4ax.com> Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 05:53:31 -0700 (PDT), "henh...@gmail.com"
> <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-7, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:
>>
>> > There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> > Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> > spell-it, I guess.)
>>
>> Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
>> English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
>>
>> > It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
>> > incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
>> > she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>>
>> You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.
>>
>> Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.
>>

> this person must be using some Newsreader program (what is it?) which
> lets him
> x-post to AUE and AEU simultaneously.

Also known as "a newsreader" since cross-posting is a core feature of
Usenet, and not something special at all.

> Is Cassandra a rare name?

No, but neither is it a common name. It is often shortened to Cass or
Cassie. The only actress I can think of is Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson.

> The name peaked in popularity in the United States in 1990 with over
> 7000 girls named Cassandra born that year; the name is now rarer in
> the United States for babies, with only about 493 American girls
> called Cassandra in 2021.

Girls names in the USA fluctuate in popularity. I am sure I have told
this before, but when I was about 9 or 10yo I was talking to my father
about the kids down the street on the next block that I had been playing
with and mentioned one, Missy, what cought his attnetnion. He asked what
her name was short for and I said "Melissa". He was sure I was wrong as
Melissa was a name that might have been popular in his grandmother or
great-grandmother's day (late 19th century), and even after he confirmed
that I was indeed correct, he was pretty sure it was a 'one off' until
he started seeing veritable droves of Melissas show up.

Se also 'Tiffany' that went from a name no one had ever heard of (as a
first name) to one of the most poplar names if not THE most popular
name in the course of about 15 years, and then faded almost as fast as
it came.

Or, Emma/Emily is another. I never met an Emma in all my years in
school, and only one or maybe two Emilys, and never heard of an Emma
outside of Emma Thompson and now there are scads of Emmas.

On the other hand, when was the last time you met a Dorothy under 80yo?
My mother in law was a Dorothy and had multiple classmates also named
Dorothy, but now? How about Phyllis or Helen? Myrtle? Ethyl? Ruth?

Cassandra is, AFAICT, not a name that has completely faded, but it
definitely is not as common as it was.

> i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel
> (Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.

I've know some females named "Jess" who could easily have been named
Jezebel, but probably were named Jessica.

The situation is entirely different in the UK, and the names that are
popular and not popular are very different, generally. There is some
influence across the pond (I am pretty sure the sudden rise of Emma in
the US is a result, in part, or Emma Thompson as the years match up
pretty well.

For example, a woman porn in the UK in 1990 is likely named Charlotte,
Rebecca, Lauren, Hanna, Amy, Emily, Laura, Sophie, or Emma.

In the US the list is Jessice, Ashley, Emily, Sarah, Samantha, Amanda,
Brittany, Elizabeth, Taylor, and Megan. Some names on both list, most
not. I've never met a Charlotte, myself, and the only Sophie I know is a
Brit (but I know of a couple of young girls named Sophia).

This list is more interesting as it covers a ten year range:

<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names2010s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names2000s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1990s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1980s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1970s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1930s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1890s.html>

It would be nice to have aggregate lists, or rolling oaverag list for an
arbitrary 5-10 year period, as that wold give a much clearer idea of the
real 'top names'. For example, Jennifer isn't in that top ten for the
US in the 1990s, but I bet it is pretty consistently around the top ten
while other names rise and fall much more. I certainly know and know of
Jennifers across many different age ranges, from mid 60's to
preschoolers, so I suspect looking over a range of years it is more
popular than, say, Samantha or Brittany.

--
'People need vampires,' she [Granny] said. 'They helps 'em remember
what stakes and garlic are for.' --Carpe Jugulum

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 12:28:4408.07.22
an
On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 09:40:31 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>Is Cassandra a rare name? -------- The name peaked in popularity
>in the United States in 1990 with over 7000 girls named Cassandra born
>that year; the name is now rarer in the United States for babies, with
>only about 493 American girls called Cassandra in 2021.

My wife's niece named her daughter Cassandra sometime in the early
1990s. She named her after her mother (my wife's sister) who was named
Sandra and who died at a very early age).

I suggested that she shouldn't name her Cassandra, since if she did,
nobody would believe a word she said, but she either didn't believe me
or ignored me.

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 12:47:0408.07.22
an
I think I once read somewhere that the Chinese names Wong, Wang, Eng,
and Ng are just variant Roman spellings of the same name. Does anyione
know if that's right?

Quinn C

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 13:00:5508.07.22
an
* lar3ryca:
The good thing with standards is that you can have as many as you want.

For example for the name discussed before, Pinyin is "Hé", or "He"
ignoring tones, and Wade-Giles is "Ho" for the Mandarin pronunciation,
and WP lists two standards for transcribing Cantonese that both make it
"Ho".

But you also find people using other spellings, in this case e.g. "Hou".

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them

Quinn C

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 13:05:5908.07.22
an
* Ken Blake:
That seems wrong. "Ng" is actually the transcription of three different
names in Cantonese, and they're all "Wu" (with different tones) in
Mandarin. The common name that is "Wang" in Mandarin and "Wong" in
Cantonese is different from those three.

"Eng" is probably just a non-standard attempt of making "Ng" more
pronouncable to foreigners.

Snidely

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 14:15:4308.07.22
an
There was a lovely demo site by IBM that had a graph of name vs census
data (for the US only). Very few names that were popular at any time
in the 20th C were consistent across the timeline. (I'm not sure the
IBM site went back any farther than that, perhaps because the data
wasn't always tracked by anyone)

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 16:55:1208.07.22
an
On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 11:00:55 AM UTC-6, Quinn C wrote:
> * lar3ryca:
> > On 2022-07-07 11:21, Quinn C wrote:
> >> * Peter T. Daniels:

> >> I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being of
> >> Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".
> >
> > Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A few
> > days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his name as
> > "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name "Wong", and
> > they have always spelled it "Wong'.

> The good thing with standards is that you can have as many as you want.
>
> For example for the name discussed before, Pinyin is "Hé", or "He"
> ignoring tones, and Wade-Giles is "Ho" for the Mandarin pronunciation,
> and WP lists two standards for transcribing Cantonese that both make it
> "Ho".
>
> But you also find people using other spellings, in this case e.g. "Hou".

Not to be confused with the surname spelled Hóu in Pinyin.

--
Jerry Friedman

Quinn C

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:40:5408.07.22
an
* Jerry Friedman:
The name that I suspect to have the most variety of transcriptions
without being based on variant pronunciations is Yi, the third most
common name in Korean:

I, Yi, Ee, Ye, Li, Lee, Lie, Ni, Ri, Ree, Rhee, Rhie, Reeh and possibly
others.

I may have seen more Li and Lie in Germany, whereas in anglophone
countries, almost everyone uses Lee.

Quinn C

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:40:5508.07.22
an
* Snidely:

> Lewis wrote on 7/8/2022 :

>> Girls names in the USA fluctuate in popularity.
>> [...]
>> It would be nice to have aggregate lists, or rolling oaverag list for an
>> arbitrary 5-10 year period, as that wold give a much clearer idea of the
>> real 'top names'. For example, Jennifer isn't in that top ten for the
>> US in the 1990s, but I bet it is pretty consistently around the top ten
>> while other names rise and fall much more. I certainly know and know of
>> Jennifers across many different age ranges, from mid 60's to
>> preschoolers, so I suspect looking over a range of years it is more
>> popular than, say, Samantha or Brittany.
>
> There was a lovely demo site by IBM that had a graph of name vs census
> data (for the US only). Very few names that were popular at any time
> in the 20th C were consistent across the timeline. (I'm not sure the
> IBM site went back any farther than that, perhaps because the data
> wasn't always tracked by anyone)

I made a bit of that kind of statistics myself once (I believe only
based on the top 10 names by decade) and found that the US was clearly
more conservative than Germany. Especially with boys' names - girls'
names change more than boys' names in both countries. But in Germany,
even with boys, the top 10 names have been almost completely replaced
within 2 decades for a while now.

--
Reed: It can't be ethical to cause a patient this much pain.
Phlox: It's unethical to harm a patient. I can inflict as

Quinn C

ungelesen,
08.07.2022, 17:40:5608.07.22
an
* Steve Hayes:

> i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel
> (Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.
>
> Are there any people named Jezebel? ---- 22 girls were named
> Jezebel in 2012, with another handful called Jezebelle. Odds are
> strong that none of their parents were trying to torture their child.
> In fact, it is possible – maybe even likely – that the Biblical
> Jezebel got a bad rap.

The name has been reclaimed in feminism.
See also <https://jezebel.com/>

But the only one I've ever heard of had taken it on as an adult, I
believe.

--
A "moderate Republican" now is a far-right Republican who
publicly laments it.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 07:23:1409.07.22
an
On 08/07/22 07:41, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 07/07/2022 9:58 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A
>> few days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced
>> his name as "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their
>> name "Wong", and they have always spelled it "Wong'.
>
> But that's Wight, isn't it?

The White Australia still had popular support in the 1950s. A prominent
politician - who just happens to be a distant relative of mine - is on
record as having said "Two Wongs don't make a white".

CDB

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 08:00:2209.07.22
an
On 7/7/2022 4:58 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
> Quinn C wrote:
>> * Peter T. Daniels:

>>> <Huh> is an English spelling attempting to approximate the
>>> pronunciation of the common Chinese name transliterated <He> in
>>> pinyin.
>>
>> I believe that I met someone of that name yesterday, however, being
>> of Cantonese extraction, he spells it "Ho".

> Is there any standard transliteration for spelling Chinese names? A
> few days ago, Yungshin Wang was on Jeopardy, and they pronounced his
> name as "Wong". I have known a few people who pronounced their name
> "Wong", and they have always spelled it "Wong'.

Unless there was interference from Cantonese, about which I know
nothing, their name was probably "Wang" [wAN], but respelled to avoid
the pronunciation [w&N] ("wang" rhyming with "sang") and its vulgar
associations.

CDB

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 08:09:0709.07.22
an
On 7/7/2022 11:30 PM, Dingbat wrote:
> lar3ryca wrote:
>> Quinn C wrote:
>>> Peter T. Daniels:
There is no common word in Putonghua spelled "wong", according to my C-E
dictionary. The "tong" in that word is pronounced [tuN] "toong".

Quinn C

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 09:26:4209.07.22
an
* CDB:
Uh ... no.

Here's an audio sample:
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%99%AE%E9%80%9A%E8%A9%B1#Chinese>

CDB

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 10:40:3709.07.22
an
On 7/9/2022 9:26 AM, Quinn C wrote:
> * CDB:
By that, do you mean I should have written [tUN]? I considered that,
but decided that the pronunciation, as in the sample that I listened to
(thank you), split the difference. It sounds like a short [u] to me.

Quinn C

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 11:24:5709.07.22
an
* CDB:
I hear it as [O]. Does it resemble the vowel in the first syllable to
you?

But WP says that -ong "Varies between [oŋ] and [uŋ] depending on the
speaker". I believe I've heard it with [o] more often. Besides, the
exact point of your perceived o/u cutoff may be different from mine.

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 11:31:3109.07.22
an

So I was wrong when I mentioned a surname "Wong".

--
Jerry Friedman

lar3ryca

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 11:42:4609.07.22
an
Ahh... that's a possibility I had not considered.

--
The best way to accelerate a Windows machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

CDB

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 11:55:1809.07.22
an
On 7/9/2022 11:31 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
Too wh^abortabort?

Putonghua (ordinary speech) is what we call Mandarin, more or less.
Others have said that the form can be "wong" in Cantonese, so you may be
right. I know narthing.

Jerry Friedman

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 12:02:2809.07.22
an
I was wrong when I said there was a Pinyin surname "Wong". Now that
I've said that right, I think we can all agree.

--
Jerry Friedman

Peter T. Daniels

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 12:04:5309.07.22
an
You do know that's the punchline of a joke about the Chinese
couple to whom the wrong baby is brought from the nursery
when they're ready to go home from the hospital ...

Ken Blake

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 12:24:4909.07.22
an
I'm confused. I know a woman (she's from Hong Kong, and speaks
Cantonese) who spells her surname in Roman letters as "Wong." Are
you saying she spells it wrong?

Quinn C

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 18:03:1409.07.22
an
* Ken Blake:
It means she doesn't spell it in Pinyin. Which makes a lot of sense if
your language is Cantonese, because Pinyin isn't made for that.

Also, people are free to use non-standard transcriptions of their names.
The correct "spelling" of the name Wang/Wong is 王.

--
The trouble some people have being German, I thought,
I have being human.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 21:12:1009.07.22
an
That may well be so, but it was also a statement that was made in
Federal parliament in 1947.

Peter Moylan

ungelesen,
09.07.2022, 21:23:2909.07.22
an
The different Chinese languages differ so much from one another that
what is normal in one region will be nonstandard in another.

I remember when a Hong Kong friend of mine, fluent in both Cantonese and
English, was nervous when she had to give a talk in Mandarin. The way
she described it, it was about the same as if you or I had to give a
presentation in Latin.

The writing system is so close to uniform across China that we can be
fooled into thinking that all those regions speak the same language.
They don't.

Peter T. Daniels

ungelesen,
10.07.2022, 09:07:3110.07.22
an
They write the same language, because they learn it as a foreign
language in school (even the vast majority whose native language
is a form of Mandarin).
0 neue Nachrichten