Wrong Proverbs (like 'watch pot, never boil')

bruce bowser

Nov 24, 2021, 3:14:19 PM11/24/21
What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?

Ken Blake

Nov 24, 2021, 4:07:53 PM11/24/21
On 11/24/2021 1:14 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?

Watt's pots never Boyle.

bruce bowser

Nov 25, 2021, 11:55:40 AM11/25/21
1) A sunshiny shower won't last an hour.
2) Clear moon, frost soon.
3) Mackeral Skies at Night, Sailor's Delight, Mackeral Skies in the Morning, Sailor's Take Warning

Rich Ulrich

Nov 25, 2021, 2:49:37 PM11/25/21
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
<bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?

You mean, "always-wrong proverbs"?
Most of them are tempered by conditions.

Haste makes waste. But
A stitch in time saves nine. But
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

--
Rich Ulrich

Ken Blake

Nov 25, 2021, 2:59:16 PM11/25/21
A bird in the hand makes dirt.

lar3ryca

Nov 25, 2021, 3:21:38 PM11/25/21
A rolling stone gathers momentum.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't.
People who live in glass houses should dress in the basement.
A stitch in Time holds the magazine together.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 25, 2021, 5:28:45 PM11/25/21
DETERIORATA

Go placidly amid the noise & waste, & remember what comfort there
may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive
persons unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. *
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself and heed well
their advice even though they be turkeys; know what to kiss and
when. * Consider that two wrongs never make a right but that
three do. Whenever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted
that in the face of all aridity & disillusionment and despite the
changing fortunes of time, there is always a big fortune in
computer maintenance. * Remember the Pueblo. Strive at all
times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate. Know yourself. If
you need help, call the FBI. Exercise caution in your daily
affairs, especially with those persons closest to you. That
lemon on your left, for instance. Be assured that a walk through
the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet. Fall
not in love therefore; it will stick to your face. * Gracefully
surrender the things of youth, birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan;
and let not the sands of time get in your lunch. * Hire people
with hooks. * For a good time, call 606-4311; ask for Ken.
Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog is finally
getting enough cheese; and reflect that whatever misfortune may
be your lot, it could only be worse in Milwaukee. * You are a
fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here, and whether
you can hear it or not, the universe is laughing behind your
back. * Therefore make peace with your God whatever you
conceive him to be: Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin. * With
all its hopes, dreams, promises, & urban renewal, the world
continues to deteriorate. * Give up. * *

By Tony Hendra
Found in an old National Lampoon: Dated 1972

Paul Carmichael

Nov 26, 2021, 6:42:55 AM11/26/21
El Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800, bruce bowser escribió:

> What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?

The proof is in the pudding.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

bruce bowser

Nov 26, 2021, 1:24:38 PM11/26/21
Why ask when you know?

Sam Plusnet

Nov 26, 2021, 2:35:58 PM11/26/21
On 26-Nov-21 11:42, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800, bruce bowser escribió:
>
>> What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?
>

> The proof is in the pudding.

Until you set light to it.

--
Sam Plusnet

bruce bowser

Nov 26, 2021, 4:46:44 PM11/26/21
Depends on which one. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. A dry March and a wet May; fill barns and bays with corn and hay. A little house well filled, a little land well tilled, a wife well willed. A friend in need is a friend indeed. Better safe than sorry, 4. Don’t talk the talk if you can’t walk the walk. Haste makes waste. Look before you leap. Measure twice, cut one. First things first. No pain, no gain. Practice makes perfect. Leave no stone unturned. Forgive and forget. An answer when mild turns away rage. Do to others as you would have them do to you. Don’t place all your eggs in one basket. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Patience is a virtue. You cannot serve two masters. You reap what you sow

bruce bowser

Nov 26, 2021, 4:47:50 PM11/26/21

Jack

Nov 27, 2021, 7:34:11 PM11/27/21
<bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?

A thought for your pennies
in time makes a dime.

--
Jack

Madhu

Nov 28, 2021, 9:49:21 AM11/28/21

* Rich Ulrich <uupvpg1j074ti8h4f...@4ax.com> :
Wrote on Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:49:28 -0500:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
> <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?
>
> You mean, "always-wrong proverbs"?
> Most of them are tempered by conditions.

it's darkest before dawn
every cloud has a silver lining

demonstrably false

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 28, 2021, 10:25:05 AM11/28/21
On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:19:17 +0530
Madhu <eno...@meer.net> wrote:

> * Rich Ulrich <uupvpg1j074ti8h4f...@4ax.com> :
> Wrote on Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:49:28 -0500:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
> > <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never
> >>boil')?
> >
> > You mean, "always-wrong proverbs"?
> > Most of them are tempered by conditions.
>
> it's darkest before dawn

It's *coldest* just after dawn; according to a chap I once talked to;
his claim was that the early sun evaporated the dew which chilled the
ground further - but he may have been winding up an impressionable
youth.

> every cloud has a silver lining
>
> demonstrably false

"Thunder only happens when it rains"

dont use Fleetwood Mac lyrics as a reliable weather guide.
or Punxsutawney critters for season changes either.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 28, 2021, 12:59:31 PM11/28/21
On 28-Nov-21 15:25, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:19:17 +0530
> Madhu <eno...@meer.net> wrote:

>> it's darkest before dawn
>
> It's *coldest* just after dawn; according to a chap I once talked to;
> his claim was that the early sun evaporated the dew which chilled the
> ground further - but he may have been winding up an impressionable
> youth.

Few of us wind up as an impressionable youth, we mostly start off that way.

--
Sam Plusnet

bruce bowser

Nov 28, 2021, 4:46:19 PM11/28/21
Maybe not:
==========================
Researchers in Antarctica Gather Evidence of a Mirror Universe to Our Own Where Time Runs Backwards
Daily Mail - May 19, 2020
-- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8338073/Researchers-Antarctica-gather-evidence-mirror-universe-time-runs-backwards.html

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 28, 2021, 4:56:29 PM11/28/21
On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:49:21 AM UTC-8, Madhu wrote:
> * Rich Ulrich <uupvpg1j074ti8h4f...@4ax.com> :
> Wrote on Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:49:28 -0500:
> > On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:14:17 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
> > <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>What other wrong proverbs are out there (like 'watch pot, never boil')?
> >
> > You mean, "always-wrong proverbs"?
> > Most of them are tempered by conditions.
> it's darkest before dawn
> every cloud has a silver lining

In the world of Rolls-Royce automobiles, every Silver Cloud has a lining.

bill

bruce bowser

Nov 28, 2021, 5:30:05 PM11/28/21
I hear that Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW.

charles

Nov 29, 2021, 4:11:09 AM11/29/21
In article <32e6c541-3b38-4a41...@googlegroups.com>, bruce
That's the car business, not the aero engine bit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Quinn C

Nov 29, 2021, 12:55:41 PM11/29/21
* charles:

> In article <32e6c541-3b38-4a41...@googlegroups.com>, bruce
> bowser <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In the world of Rolls-Royce automobiles, every Silver Cloud has a
>>> lining.
>
>> I hear that Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW.
>
> That's the car business, not the aero engine bit.

The Silver Cloud is a car, but from before the BMW times.

--
Grab your lip gloss and your pepper spray, sweetheart. Your
date's here.

bruce bowser

Nov 29, 2021, 5:14:42 PM11/29/21
"BMW bought Rolls-Royce from Volkswagen back in 2002"
"Rolls-Royce Deutschland is a subsidiary of British aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce plc. Its primarily facilities are located at Dahlewitz outside Berlin and Motorenfabrik Oberursel at Oberursel near Frankfurt am Main.[1]

The company was formerly known as BMW Rolls-Royce (BRR), being initially operated as a joint venture company between the German car manufacturer BMW and Rolls-Royce. Early work involved the development and production of the BR700 family of jet engines, launched in 1992. "

-- Wikipedia