"With all due disrespect, if I said it, it's a word."

Adam Funk

Nov 12, 2021, 5:06:29 AM11/12/21
(cartoon)

<https://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2021/11/12>

--
she's as beautiful as a foot,
she heard someone say, the other day

Lewis

Nov 12, 2021, 5:59:27 AM11/12/21
In message <uoo16ix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> (cartoon)

> <https://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2021/11/12>

Typical cat logic.

--
"Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic system
of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an apparently
nonsensical system of questions and answers, and a lot of mystic
gibberish made up on the spur of the moment?" Wen considered this
for some time, and a last said: "A fish!"

Horace LaBadie

Nov 12, 2021, 11:51:37 AM11/12/21
In article <uoo16ix...@news.ducksburg.com>,
A disciple of Humpty Dumpty.

³When I use a word,² Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ³it
means just what I choose it to mean‹neither more nor less.²

³The question is,² said Alice, ³whether you can make words mean so many
different things.²

³The question is,² said Humpty Dumpty, ³which is to be master‹that's
all.²

Quinn C

Nov 12, 2021, 1:07:48 PM11/12/21
* Adam Funk:

> (cartoon)
>
> <https://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2021/11/12>

The strip is from 2011, by the way.

<https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3342>

"Snackage" was entered into Urban Dictionary in 2003, AFAICS. It sounds
like straight out of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so at this point, a
pretty obvious regular derivation.

--
Statler: I was just thinking, apropos of nothing, but is it
pronounced tomayto or tomahto?

lar3ryca

Nov 12, 2021, 4:06:35 PM11/12/21
On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 10:51:37 AM UTC-6, Horace LaBadie wrote:
> In article <uoo16ix...@news.ducksburg.com>,
> A disciple of Humpty Dumpty.
> ³When I use a word,² Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ³it
> means just what I choose it to mean‹neither more nor less.²
> ³The question is,² said Alice, ³whether you can make words mean so many
> different things.²
> ³The question is,² said Humpty Dumpty, ³which is to be master‹that's
> all.²

https://xkcd.com/1860/

Adam Funk

Nov 15, 2021, 6:45:07 AM11/15/21
On 2021-11-12, Quinn C wrote:

> * Adam Funk:
>
>> (cartoon)
>>
>> <https://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2021/11/12>
>
> The strip is from 2011, by the way.

I knew they were looping it...

><https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3342>

...but clearly forgot about that one, since I wrote a comment there in
2011.

> "Snackage" was entered into Urban Dictionary in 2003, AFAICS. It sounds
> like straight out of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so at this point, a
> pretty obvious regular derivation.

--
Now everybody's got advice they just keep on giving
Doesn't mean too much to me

Adam Funk

Nov 15, 2021, 7:00:07 AM11/15/21
The mouseover text there reminds me of the argument (sometimes seen
here) that the listener is to blame for being offended.

--
A lot of people never use their intiative because no-one
told them to. ---Banksy