Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE

Hen Hanna

Feb 18, 2018, 1:26:47 PM2/18/18

Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.

Was he always like this?

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 6:53:09 PM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> You're so stupid you don't even know that when something anomalous is heard,
> it's automatically corrected by the perception mechanism to what it ought to be.

Hen Hanna

Feb 18, 2018, 3:06:46 PM2/18/18

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:26:47 AM UTC-8, Hen Hanna wrote:

> Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
>

> Was he always like this?

Many of you will not believe me, but
2+ years ago, i have witnessed a few instances
of Peter T. Daniels posting
on-topic & interesting comments !

and he WAS NOT rude or annoying !!!

So i ask Peter T. Daniels :
PLEASE keep in mind that
e.g. in a Limerick thread, your
off-topic comments are
especially unwelcome.

> On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 6:53:09 PM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>

> > You're so stupid you don't even know that when something anomalous is heard,
> > it's automatically corrected by the perception mechanism to what it ought to be.

i'm not sure if (in this instance) the person
who (allegedly) mis-heard a movie line
was non-American, non-native, etc.

BUT
i would think that even Donald Trump would
be more open-minded, welcoming, etc.
toward foreigners learning English.....

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 18, 2018, 3:38:03 PM2/18/18
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 3:06:46 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:
> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:26:47 AM UTC-8, Hen Hanna wrote:

> > Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> > by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
> >

> > Was he always like this?

He does not suffer fools gladly.

When everyone else is currently busy trashing "Hen Hanna," why is "Hen Hanna" attacking
someone who hasn't done that?

> Many of you will not believe me, but
> 2+ years ago, i have witnessed a few instances
> of Peter T. Daniels posting
> on-topic & interesting comments !
>
> and he WAS NOT rude or annoying !!!
>

> So i ask Peter T. Daniels :
> PLEASE keep in mind that
> e.g. in a Limerick thread, your
> off-topic comments are
> especially unwelcome.

You have been told by others that the originator of a thread does not get to control its drift.

> > On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 6:53:09 PM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> >

> > > You're so stupid you don't even know that when something anomalous is heard,
> > > it's automatically corrected by the perception mechanism to what it ought to be.
>

> i'm not sure if (in this instance) the person
> who (allegedly) mis-heard a movie line
> was non-American, non-native, etc.
>

> BUT
> i would think that even Donald Trump would
> be more open-minded, welcoming, etc.
> toward foreigners learning English.....

Was said person a "foreigner learning English"? Seems unlikely.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Feb 18, 2018, 5:41:28 PM2/18/18
Hen Hanna asked:

> Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
>
> Was he always like this?

Yes, definitely. PeteY "Genital Herpes" Daniels has always been
and will always be a cantankerous flaming asshole.

See the cantankerous flaming asshole:
http://aman.members.sonic.net/PeteY-Doody.jpg

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Ken Blake

Feb 18, 2018, 5:43:34 PM2/18/18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:26:41 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
<henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
>

>Was he always like this?

I don't know, but since I have him killfiled, I never see his posts
unless someone else replies and quotes them. If everyone else here
would killfile him, none of us would ever have to see his posts, and
AUE would be a better place.

mrucb...@att.net

Feb 18, 2018, 6:19:54 PM2/18/18
I am not Jewish but I find recent 'asks' about borderline insanity from 50+
years ago, to be more objectionable. And I am not a Trump supporter or
right-wing American, but for people to join in for response and not
acknowledge the narrow, patronizing if not hateful perspective that
offered, I say you are as bad. Liberal as long as it seems properly
academic and not too close to your own foibles. Willing to join in, as
long as you aren't quotable with hate-writing... Take a wild stance on
English usage, and you're OK by me. Stray off-topic and if it's
interesting, fine. Take some liberties if it is funny or even a bit
absurd. But for the always negative rants (like the guy who's shit doesn't
stink who sports a 500 dollar saw) and the harumphing about stale stuff
from some of the regulars here, who decry what Daniels offers, get over
yourselves. Thank you.

Tony Cooper

Feb 18, 2018, 7:20:20 PM2/18/18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 15:19:50 -0800 (PST), mrucb...@att.net wrote:

>Stray off-topic and if it's interesting, fine.

This would be a dull group if threads stayed on-topic. It's that
straying that leads to interesting posts.

Most of the interesting threads have diverged from the original topic.
There are people here who start threads, and people who only add to
threads. I sometime wonder why some of the add-only people in the
group don't start a new thread once in a while. I'm sure they have
something of interest that they could come up with.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Hen Hanna

Feb 18, 2018, 10:57:16 PM2/18/18
> So i ask Peter T. Daniels :
> PLEASE keep in mind that
> e.g. in a Limerick thread, your
> off-topic comments are
> especially unwelcome.

pls dont trash, ruin
the Ode/Limerick thread
with unrelated stuff :
that typical pron. variation chatter
--- start a new thread for it.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 18, 2018, 11:37:44 PM2/18/18
OTOH, if you didn't "killfile," you'd discover that the extremely truncated
quotations are extremely misleading, providing no idea of the actual postings.

Remember, your "killfiling" was the result of pointing out a single factual
error in what you said about New York City dialect.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 18, 2018, 11:42:24 PM2/18/18
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:57:16 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:

> > So i ask Peter T. Daniels :
> > PLEASE keep in mind that
> > e.g. in a Limerick thread, your
> > off-topic comments are
> > especially unwelcome.
>

> pls dont trash, ruin
> the Ode/Limerick thread
> with unrelated stuff :
> that typical pron. variation chatter
> --- start a new thread for it.

Comments from others suggest that if something I wrote in a thread drives you
away, I would be thanked. (Though I don't know what that might be. All I've
said about you is that you have claimed to be male, so you shouldn't be
referenced with feminine pronouns. Also that I rarely read what you write
because it's formatted so bizarrely.)

But apparently you have still not realized that the person who starts a thread
does not control its development.

Mack A. Damia

Feb 18, 2018, 11:47:15 PM2/18/18
To start a topic requires thought, imagination and creativity. To
reply to a topic only requires Google.

Dr. HotSalt

Feb 19, 2018, 2:30:03 AM2/19/18
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 8:42:24 PM UTC-8, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:57:16 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:
>
> > > So i ask Peter T. Daniels :
> > > PLEASE keep in mind that
> > > e.g. in a Limerick thread, your
> > > off-topic comments are
> > > especially unwelcome.

Please keep in mind that most of your (H. Hanna's) comments cause you to be perceived by many here to be shallow and barely literate. It ordinarily follows that such people have trouble following a drifting thread.

> > pls dont trash, ruin
> > the Ode/Limerick thread
> > with unrelated stuff :

Pls keep in mind that this is not Twitter. You are encouraged to use whole words, properly constructed sentences if for no other reason to avoid reinforcing the above-mentioned perception. Ahem.

Also, given that you have expressed your, er, lack of full competence in English, Shirley you realize that there may well be valid relationships between posts and replies which are not immediately apparent to you.

> > that typical pron. variation chatter

What does that mean? Pronunciation? Will you start a thread criticizing me if I ask you to stop using abbreviations inappropriately?

> > --- start a new thread for it.

If you continue to encounter material you disapprove of here, and the poster(s) responsible do not acquiesce to your requests to desist, may I cordially invite you to go find a moderated group? Those come equipped with a "higher power" to which you may appeal for succor and protection from words you do not wish to read. There's none here, and most posters are not susceptible to opinions from a few or even the majority of other posters. That's one of the nice things about unmoderated groups- people can be themselves rather than sanitized carbon copies of an artificial ideal. Sometimes they may let a little too much hang out for your taste, but nobody is shoving their words into your eyeballs, are they?

In other words, if you can't stand the warts, get out of the kitchen.

> Comments from others suggest that if something I wrote in a thread drives you
> away, I would be thanked.

I gleefully observe that some here do occasionally express interest in excluding the occasional "outsider" only to grudgingly accept them later, if conditionally.

Granted, some do seem to go out of their way to make their own acceptance more difficult...

> (Though I don't know what that might be. All I've
> said about you is that you have claimed to be male, so you shouldn't be
> referenced with feminine pronouns.

That's uncharacteristically prescriptivist of you.

Just saying.

> Also that I rarely read what you write
> because it's formatted so bizarrely.)

I don't at all mind the occasional "poetastic" exploration as long as the material is appropriate or to make a specific point. Jokes are good, too.

I agree it grates as a habit though, anti-prescriptivism be damned.

> But apparently you have still not realized that the person who starts a thread
> does not control its development.

Hell, no-one does.

Dr. HotSalt

Hen Hanna

Feb 19, 2018, 1:44:33 PM2/19/18

in the early days of the Net, when
it was called the [World Wide Web],
there were often mini-skits about a guy
who browses (Net-Surfs) for hours,
and finally comes out of his room, and says:
-- Whew! I've finished browsing the whole thing.

PTD famously remarked that he browses
all posts to AUE

Well, that's fine.
--- Just don't piss on every post.

Harrison Hill

Feb 19, 2018, 1:53:02 PM2/19/18
On Monday, 19 February 2018 18:44:33 UTC, Hen Hanna wrote:
> in the early days of the Net, when
> it was called the [World Wide Web],
> there were often mini-skits about a guy
> who browses (Net-Surfs) for hours,
> and finally comes out of his room, and says:
> -- Whew! I've finished browsing the whole thing.
>

> PTD famously remarked that he browses
> all posts to AUE
>
> Well, that's fine.
> --- Just don't piss on every post.

"Mini-skits" is an unusual choice of noun. What is
a "mini-skit"? There are three that I can think of?

Quinn C

Feb 19, 2018, 3:53:46 PM2/19/18
* Dr. HotSalt:

> In other words, if you can't stand the warts, get out of the kitchen.

Shouldn't that be "... get out of dermatology"?

--
The Eskimoes had fifty-two names for snow because it was
important to them, there ought to be as many for love.

Ken Blake

Feb 19, 2018, 5:26:33 PM2/19/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:30 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
<henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>in the early days of the Net, when
> it was called the [World Wide Web],

Ugh! That's wrong. The Internet was never called the World Wide Web.
The World Wide Web was, and still is, one of several different aspects
of the Internet.

Quinn C

Feb 19, 2018, 6:10:17 PM2/19/18
* Peter T. Daniels:

> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 5:43:34 PM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:26:41 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
>> <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
>>> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
>>
>>>Was he always like this?
>>
>> I don't know, but since I have him killfiled, I never see his posts
>> unless someone else replies and quotes them. If everyone else here
>> would killfile him, none of us would ever have to see his posts, and
>> AUE would be a better place.
>
> OTOH, if you didn't "killfile," you'd discover that the extremely truncated
> quotations are extremely misleading, providing no idea of the actual postings.

I haven't noticed that to be a pattern. I remember several times that
you complained about a specific quote being interpreted wrong because
of missing context, and it was taken the same way I took it in context.

Accept that your words often don't express to others what you later
claim you intended. You aren't making that point very skillfully
either, so it often appears as weaseling, moving the goalposts etc. If
it actually isn't that, then you should accept that you aren't an
exceptionally clear writer, and misunderstandings happen regularly - as
they do to most of us. Blaming others won't get you respect.

--
The bee must not pass judgment on the hive. (Voxish proverb)
-- Robert C. Wilson, Vortex (novel), p.125

Quinn C

Feb 19, 2018, 8:29:27 PM2/19/18
* Ken Blake:
True, but many people now call the WWW "the Internet". So Hen's words
make sense assuming that their "the Net" is a wrong name for the WWW.

--
Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct
in which the score is kept.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 19, 2018, 10:38:06 PM2/19/18
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 6:10:17 PM UTC-5, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter T. Daniels:
> > On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 5:43:34 PM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:

> >> I don't know, but since I have him killfiled, I never see his posts
> >> unless someone else replies and quotes them. If everyone else here
> >> would killfile him, none of us would ever have to see his posts, and
> >> AUE would be a better place.
> > OTOH, if you didn't "killfile," you'd discover that the extremely truncated
> > quotations are extremely misleading, providing no idea of the actual postings.
>
> I haven't noticed that to be a pattern.

It is.

Look at any of the moronic comments by Athel. The worst offender may be Tobin.

Snidely

Feb 20, 2018, 12:26:02 AM2/20/18
Mack A. Damia is guilty of <shlk8d51smeftton6...@4ax.com>
as of 2/18/2018 8:47:09 PM
I thought replies required firing from the hip. Google searches would
slow that down, and someone else would beat you to the draw.

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Tony Cooper

Feb 20, 2018, 12:41:36 AM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 21:25:54 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Mack A. Damia is guilty of <shlk8d51smeftton6...@4ax.com>
>as of 2/18/2018 8:47:09 PM
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:20:16 -0500, Tony Cooper
>> <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This would be a dull group if threads stayed on-topic. It's that
>>> straying that leads to interesting posts.
>>>
>>> Most of the interesting threads have diverged from the original topic.
>>> There are people here who start threads, and people who only add to
>>> threads. I sometime wonder why some of the add-only people in the
>>> group don't start a new thread once in a while. I'm sure they have
>>> something of interest that they could come up with.
>>
>> To start a topic requires thought, imagination and creativity. To
>> reply to a topic only requires Google.
>
>I thought replies required firing from the hip. Google searches would
>slow that down, and someone else would beat you to the draw.

So you think that repliers are hipster-quipsters?

Some replies come from lower down. There are quite a few knee-jerk
replies.

Whiskers

Feb 20, 2018, 9:53:13 AM2/20/18
On 2018-02-20, Quinn C <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
> * Ken Blake:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:30 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
>> <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>in the early days of the Net, when
>>> it was called the [World Wide Web],
>>
>> Ugh! That's wrong. The Internet was never called the World Wide Web.
>> The World Wide Web was, and still is, one of several different aspects
>> of the Internet.
>
> True, but many people now call the WWW "the Internet". So Hen's words
> make sense assuming that their "the Net" is a wrong name for the WWW.

In the early days of 'the net' it was called 'the net'. There was no
WWW in those days, but usenet was already here.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Ken Blake

Feb 20, 2018, 10:49:50 AM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:29:50 -0500, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>* Ken Blake:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:30 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
>> <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>in the early days of the Net, when
>>> it was called the [World Wide Web],
>>
>> Ugh! That's wrong. The Internet was never called the World Wide Web.
>> The World Wide Web was, and still is, one of several different aspects
>> of the Internet.
>
>True, but many people now call the WWW "the Internet".

Yes, out of ignorance. I was pointing out an example of that
ignorance.

occam

Feb 20, 2018, 11:36:42 AM2/20/18
On 19/02/2018 21:53, Quinn C wrote:
> * Dr. HotSalt:
>
>> In other words, if you can't stand the warts, get out of the kitchen.
>
> Shouldn't that be "... get out of dermatology"?

No, it should be 'heat' (if you can't stand the heat...)?

Mixed metaphors are always disturbing. They say "this guy had a lapse of
focus mid-sentence". And it's not just a senior moment, lot of people
seem to do it.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 20, 2018, 2:29:01 PM2/20/18
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 11:36:42 AM UTC-5, occam wrote:
> On 19/02/2018 21:53, Quinn C wrote:
> > * Dr. HotSalt:

> >> In other words, if you can't stand the warts, get out of the kitchen.
> > Shouldn't that be "... get out of dermatology"?
>
> No, it should be 'heat' (if you can't stand the heat...)?

That's the original form of the saying.

Both occurrences are _wordplay_, making a joke on the familiar expression.

> Mixed metaphors are always disturbing.

That's an odd thing to call it.

RH Draney

Feb 20, 2018, 3:07:13 PM2/20/18
Many of us are old enough to remember when they were calling it the
Information Superhighway....r

Richard Yates

Feb 20, 2018, 3:31:09 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:06:34 -0700, RH Draney <dado...@cox.net>
wrote:
...or a series of tubes.

Wayne Brown

Feb 20, 2018, 3:56:57 PM2/20/18
In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.

--
F. Wayne Brown <fwb...@bellsouth.net>

ur sag9-ga ur-tur-še3 ba-an-kur9
"A dog that is played with turns into a puppy." (Sumerian proverb)

Richard Tobin

Feb 20, 2018, 4:05:04 PM2/20/18
In article <oc1p8dpqg50sa07bn...@4ax.com>,
Richard Yates <ric...@yatesguitar.com> wrote:

>>Many of us are old enough to remember when they were calling it the
>>Information Superhighway....r

>...or a series of tubes.

A series of bottlenecks connected by high-speed links, as someone
here called it.

-- Richard

Hen Hanna

Feb 20, 2018, 4:19:19 PM2/20/18
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 12:56:57 PM UTC-8, Wayne Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:53:09 in article <slrnp8odil.k...@ID-107770.user.individual.net> Whiskers <catwheezel> wrote:
> > On 2018-02-20, Quinn C <lispamateur> wrote:
> >> * Ken Blake:

> >> True, but many people now call the WWW "the Internet". So Hen's words
> >> make sense assuming that their "the Net" is a wrong name for the WWW.
> >
> > In the early days of 'the net' it was called 'the net'. There was no
> > WWW in those days, but usenet was already here.
>
> In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.
>
> --
> F. Wayne Brown <fwbrown..........>
>
> ur sag9-ga ur-tur-še3 ba-an-kur9
> "A dog that is played with turns into a puppy." (Sumerian proverb)

nice proverb.

> In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.

I'd have to disagree... I thnk the Web was born
(for CS students) when
Mosaic became common.... ~1994 or 1995

I think Usenet was already going strong by ~1983.

I'm trying to remember the earliest Usenet readers I was using.
I never used Gnus.
I remember using rn, nn, tin, elm, pine, ...

HH

Richard Yates

Feb 20, 2018, 4:28:51 PM2/20/18
Guilty as charged.

Richard Yates

Feb 20, 2018, 4:36:56 PM2/20/18
....to being one of the bottlenecks, not the one who named it.

Mack A. Damia

Feb 20, 2018, 4:44:29 PM2/20/18
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:06:34 -0700, RH Draney <dado...@cox.net>
wrote:

I picked up a hitchhiker once. She was one of the "Bodacious Babes".

She had a virus.

Quinn C

Feb 20, 2018, 4:49:45 PM2/20/18
* occam:

> On 19/02/2018 21:53, Quinn C wrote:
>> * Dr. HotSalt:
>>
>>> In other words, if you can't stand the warts, get out of the kitchen.
>>
>> Shouldn't that be "... get out of dermatology"?
>
> No, it should be 'heat' (if you can't stand the heat...)?
>
> Mixed metaphors are always disturbing.

You just gave me one more reason to use them. They're a way to keep all
your cards on deck.

--
Smith & Wesson--the original point and click interface

John Varela

Feb 20, 2018, 7:20:01 PM2/20/18
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:52:58 UTC, Harrison Hill
<harrison...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 19 February 2018 18:44:33 UTC, Hen Hanna wrote:
> > in the early days of the Net, when
> > it was called the [World Wide Web],

The Net was never called the World Wide Web. You have made a display
of ignorance that would not have come from the product of someone
who was clever enough to launch a bot. Therefore I conclude you are
not a bot. Just ignorant.

--
John Varela

Madrigal Gurneyhalt

Feb 20, 2018, 7:34:22 PM2/20/18
If you're talking about official nomenclature then I'm bound to point out
that it was never called 'the Net' either. If you're referring to everyday
usage then it has frequently been called the World Wide Web and
continues to be so. Either way, people in glass houses ..... !

Dr. HotSalt

Feb 20, 2018, 8:33:36 PM2/20/18
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 1:49:45 PM UTC-8, Quinn C wrote:
> * occam:
>
> > On 19/02/2018 21:53, Quinn C wrote:
> >> * Dr. HotSalt:

> >> Shouldn't that be "... get out of dermatology"?
> >
> > No, it should be 'heat' (if you can't stand the heat...)?

No, *I* get to decide what it should be because *I* wrote it.

> > Mixed metaphors are always disturbing.

That's an appropriate observation- the thread *is* about people being disturbed by what others post.

(remainder of quote restored)

> > They say "this guy had a lapse of focus mid-sentence".

That's your (occam's) inference, and I deny any resemblance to that remark.

> > And it's not just a senior moment,

I am barely of the age to qualify to use that "excuse" but I assure you, in this case it was deliberate.

Perhaps the "abuse" of familiar sayings is what is "disturbing"? Do we have grounds for another prescriptivist/usage debate here?

> > lot of people seem to do it.

Perhaps it's just personal taste- if I were feeling uncharitable I would wonder if it's simply not in your skill set.

It isn't rocket surgery for those of us who aren't green behind the ears.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magazine/26wwln-safire-t.html

> You just gave me one more reason to use them. They're a way to keep all
> your cards on deck.

And a good way to keep one's audience's ears on their toes.

Dr. HotSalt

Lewis

Feb 21, 2018, 1:56:51 AM2/21/18
No, they are two different things. The Net is simply a shortening of The
Internet. Think of it as The 'Net if that helps.

The World Wide Web is PART of the internet, using HTTP/HTTPS for data.
The Internet is far larger than just The Web.

--
I must admit, you brought Religion into my life. I never believed in
Hell until I met you.

Madrigal Gurneyhalt

Feb 21, 2018, 9:17:56 AM2/21/18
And the bronze for wriggling (with little or no reference to the actual
point) goes to ...

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 21, 2018, 10:25:19 AM2/21/18
If Usenet was already going strong by ~1983, then _a fortiori_ it was here
almost a decade before the ~1994 Web. As much as a decade plus a year before
(but that's vitiated by the multiple tildes). Thus not only do you not _have
to_ disagree, you don't disagree at all.

And while snipping several feet (as it seems) of excess verbiage, I found that
you recopy what you're responding to. That is not helpful.

If this "trashes, ruins" this thread, so be it. Learn from your errors.

Richard Tobin

Feb 21, 2018, 10:35:03 AM2/21/18
In article <ba5161a1-e9a6-45c0...@googlegroups.com>,
Hen Hanna <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.

>I'd have to disagree... I thnk the Web was born
> (for CS students) when
> Mosaic became common.... ~1994 or 1995
>
>I think Usenet was already going strong by ~1983.

There were multiple web browsers by 1992, but anyway you seem
to be quibbling over a tiny difference.

>I'm trying to remember the earliest Usenet readers I was using.
> I never used Gnus.
> I remember using rn, nn, tin, elm, pine, ...

In 1983, it was probably readnews.

-- Richard

Mack A. Damia

Feb 21, 2018, 11:41:32 AM2/21/18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 15:43:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:26:41 -0800 (PST), Hen Hanna
><henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
>> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
>>

>>Was he always like this?
>

>I don't know, but since I have him killfiled, I never see his posts
>unless someone else replies and quotes them. If everyone else here
>would killfile him, none of us would ever have to see his posts, and
>AUE would be a better place.

I haven't killfiled him recently. I mostly ignore him.

I think many people are sick and tired of him. He feels a need to
insert himself into practically every conversation in the group.

He is a troll and a stalker. It is his warped personality.

occam

Feb 21, 2018, 1:27:25 PM2/21/18
Ahem, although I agree with you in this instance, can I ask you to run
your 'bot' judgements by me in future?

HH (Hen Hanna) - a bot (65% probability)
HH (Harrison Hill) - a muppet (100%, certainty)

John Varela

Feb 21, 2018, 1:41:32 PM2/21/18
Whoosh.

--
John Varela

John Varela

Feb 21, 2018, 1:42:49 PM2/21/18
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:17:49 UTC, Madrigal Gurneyhalt
You.

I'm beginning to suspect that HH is one of your nyms.

--
John Varela

Mack A. Damia

Feb 21, 2018, 2:14:01 PM2/21/18
On 21 Feb 2018 18:42:45 GMT, "John Varela" <newl...@verizon.net>
wrote:
Madgal is somebody's sock-puppet. Not sure who.

Hen Hanna

Feb 21, 2018, 2:27:40 PM2/21/18
PTD should emulate the rest of us...

We don't piss on every post.

If we don't have much to say
(nothing much to contribute to a thread),

we DON'T post.

there are analogues in many other areas
-- e.g. --
Because too many ppl drive in a PTD-esque
(impatient and selfish) manner,
ALL of us suffer as a result.

_______________________

Many of you will not believe me, but
2+ years ago, i have witnessed a few instances
of Peter T. Daniels posting
on-topic & interesting comments !

and he WAS NOT rude or annoying !!!

Wayne Brown

Feb 21, 2018, 4:57:23 PM2/21/18
I was going by the date of 1989 for Sir Tim Berners-Lee inventing the
WWW. However, a little research shows that it wasn't put on a server
open to the Internet until 1990 and people outside CERN weren't invited
to use it until 1991. I'm not sure when I first started to use it but
NCSA Mosaic was my first browser.

> I think Usenet was already going strong by ~1983.

Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis created Usenet in 1979 but it wasn't until
1980 that it became publicly available. So Usenet was available a
little more than a decade before the WWW.

> I'm trying to remember the earliest Usenet readers I was using.
> I never used Gnus.
> I remember using rn, nn, tin, elm, pine, ...
>
> HH

I became aware of Usenet in 1986 or '87, and started using it in '88.
At first I used readnews in a dial-up shell account on a UNIX server,
then got B News running under Minix with UUCP on a Leading Edge Model D
PC in my house (with a whopping 640K of RAM and two 30MB hard drives).
Sometime in the '90s I started using tin and that's what I still use.

--
F. Wayne Brown <fwb...@bellsouth.net>

snide...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 5:41:22 PM2/21/18
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:27:40 AM UTC-8, Hen Hanna wrote
about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The only way to not have "Off-Topic chatter" in a thread
is to post something no one wants to reply to.

/dps

John Varela

Feb 21, 2018, 7:14:06 PM2/21/18
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 21:57:19 UTC, Wayne Brown
<fwb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 15:19:08 in article <ba5161a1-e9a6-45c0...@googlegroups.com> Hen Hanna <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.
> >>
> >> --
> >> F. Wayne Brown <fwbrown..........>
> >>
> >> ur sag9-ga ur-tur- e3 ba-an-kur9
> >> "A dog that is played with turns into a puppy." (Sumerian proverb)
> >
> > nice proverb.
> >

> >> In fact, Usenet was here almost a decade before the Web.
> >
> > I'd have to disagree... I thnk the Web was born
> > (for CS students) when
> > Mosaic became common.... ~1994 or 1995
>
> I was going by the date of 1989 for Sir Tim Berners-Lee inventing the
> WWW. However, a little research shows that it wasn't put on a server
> open to the Internet until 1990 and people outside CERN weren't invited
> to use it until 1991. I'm not sure when I first started to use it but
> NCSA Mosaic was my first browser.
>

> > I think Usenet was already going strong by ~1983.
>
> Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis created Usenet in 1979 but it wasn't until
> 1980 that it became publicly available. So Usenet was available a
> little more than a decade before the WWW.
>

> > I'm trying to remember the earliest Usenet readers I was using.
> > I never used Gnus.
> > I remember using rn, nn, tin, elm, pine, ...
> >
> > HH
>
> I became aware of Usenet in 1986 or '87, and started using it in '88.
> At first I used readnews in a dial-up shell account on a UNIX server,
> then got B News running under Minix with UUCP on a Leading Edge Model D
> PC in my house (with a whopping 640K of RAM and two 30MB hard drives).
> Sometime in the '90s I started using tin and that's what I still use.

I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
the Web, wasn't it?

--
John Varela

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 21, 2018, 10:05:38 PM2/21/18
The Damia nut just can't stand it when his false statements are exposed.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 21, 2018, 10:07:18 PM2/21/18
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 2:27:40 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:

> If we don't have much to say
> (nothing much to contribute to a thread),
>
> we DON'T post.

Of all the bizarre things Hen Hanna has posted, that may be the bizarrest.

Not only does he contribute reams to threads where he has nothing to say,
he also starts new threads by repeating something he just posted in another one.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 21, 2018, 10:21:41 PM2/21/18
He does that all the time. So what's he complaining about?

This new poster "Dave S" appears to be Snidely.

Mack A. Damia

Feb 21, 2018, 10:38:29 PM2/21/18
One of his major problems is that he is dishonest, and he lies
frequently. We all know how he twists facts and text around so that
it appears as if he prevails and is right. I am surprised that he
doesn't see this himself, but then that is the curse of a serious
personality flaw.

I just do not see how the creep could write a book by himself. His
deceit in here practically proves it. I know Rey agrees with me.

Snidely

Feb 21, 2018, 11:33:09 PM2/21/18
on 2/21/2018, Peter T. Daniels supposed :
Adrift and forlorn.

/dps

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Lewis

Feb 21, 2018, 11:59:10 PM2/21/18
And your contribution is what, exactly? Nonsense and incorrect
information, as usual?

--
"Send beer, words simply can't adequately express your gratitude" --
James Sedgwick

Lewis

Feb 22, 2018, 12:10:00 AM2/22/18
No. And yes. Gopher was a way to access content on remote servers, but
it was nothing like HTTP. There was also archie (and veronica, but I
cannot remember what veronica was) for searching FTP sites.

In fact, the first FTP software I used on my Mac was called "Anarchie"
because it was not only an ftp client, but it could also do archie
searches.

The majority of the Internet is still not http, and there are many
services that people use everyday that they think of as "the web" that
have nothing to do with HTTP.

Netflix, for one.

Bittorrent and other file transfer protocols are another example that
uses a lot of traffic.

Even USENET is actually much larger than it's ever been (and growing)
since so much digital content is posted to newsgroups (mostly pirated
movies and TV).

--
Personal isn't the same as important

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Feb 22, 2018, 12:55:40 AM2/22/18
On 2018-02-21 21:57:19 +0000, Wayne Brown said:

> I was going by the date of 1989 for Sir Tim Berners-Lee inventing the
> WWW. However, a little research shows that it wasn't put on a server
> open to the Internet until 1990 and people outside CERN weren't invited
> to use it until 1991.

and he wasn't Sir Tim in 1989, or even 1991.

> I'm not sure when I first started to use it but
> NCSA Mosaic was my first browser.

--
athel

Richard Tobin

Feb 22, 2018, 3:05:02 AM2/22/18
In article <a8f2e72f-56c3-438e...@googlegroups.com>,
Where do you get "Dave S" from? It doesn't appear anywhere in the
post you replied to.

-- Richard

LFS

Feb 22, 2018, 3:48:26 AM2/22/18
On 22/02/2018 00:14, John Varela wrote:
> I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
> Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
> the Web, wasn't it?

I remember gopher, and archie, and veronica. You had to trawl through
umpteen menus to get anywhere. For a long time the whole of the business
school had to share a PC in the admin office: I was so thrilled
eventually to have a PC on my desk at work that I used to go in extra
early to experiment. When I managed to send a message to my cousin who
was studying at Cornell and got an immediate reply, I was very excited.
Trying to explain how it all worked to my mother was very difficult, though.

I also remember how exciting it was the first time I encountered Mosaic.
A computer magazine published around that time had a centre page spread
of "the whole of the Internet". Wish I'd kept it.

Then there was Alta Vista and the world changed again.

--
Laura (emulate St George for email)

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Feb 22, 2018, 3:56:17 AM2/22/18
On 2018-02-22 08:48:22 +0000, LFS said:

> On 22/02/2018 00:14, John Varela wrote:
>> I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
>> Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
>> the Web, wasn't it?
>>

> I remember gopher, and archie, and veronica. You had to trawl through
> umpteen menus to get anywhere. For a long time the whole of the
> business school had to share a PC in the admin office: I was so
> thrilled eventually to have a PC on my desk at work that I used to go
> in extra early to experiment. When I managed to send a message to my
> cousin who was studying at Cornell and got an immediate reply, I was
> very excited.

I remember the thrill of that. We wanted a copy of a paper by a
colleague at Michigan State. We had a reply with a PDF file in a latter
of minutes.

> Trying to explain how it all worked to my mother was very difficult, though.
>
> I also remember how exciting it was the first time I encountered
> Mosaic. A computer magazine published around that time had a centre
> page spread of "the whole of the Internet". Wish I'd kept it.
>
> Then there was Alta Vista and the world changed again.

--
athel

LFS

Feb 22, 2018, 4:53:43 AM2/22/18
On 22/02/2018 08:56, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2018-02-22 08:48:22 +0000, LFS said:
>
>> On 22/02/2018 00:14, John Varela wrote:
>>> I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
>>> Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
>>> the Web, wasn't it?
>>>

>> I remember gopher, and archie, and veronica. You had to trawl through
>> umpteen menus to get anywhere. For a long time the whole of the
>> business school had to share a PC in the admin office: I was so
>> thrilled eventually to have a PC on my desk at work that I used to go
>> in extra early to experiment. When I managed to send a message to my
>> cousin who was studying at Cornell and got an immediate reply, I was
>> very excited.
>
> I remember the thrill of that. We wanted a copy of a paper by a
> colleague at Michigan State. We had a reply with a PDF file in a latter
> of minutes.

I still find it fairly incredible that I can download academic papers so
easily. I've just been clearing out hard copies that no longer need to
clutter my study: when our library didn't have a subscription to the
journal, I used to have to order them via the inter-library loan system.
Now, if the library doesn't provide access or access is time-barred, I
can email the author directly.

Lewis

Feb 22, 2018, 7:37:12 AM2/22/18
In message <ff7een...@mid.individual.net> LFS <lauraDRA...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 00:14, John Varela wrote:
>> I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
>> Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
>> the Web, wasn't it?
>>

> I remember gopher, and archie, and veronica. You had to trawl through
> umpteen menus to get anywhere. For a long time the whole of the business
> school had to share a PC in the admin office: I was so thrilled
> eventually to have a PC on my desk at work that I used to go in extra
> early to experiment. When I managed to send a message to my cousin who
> was studying at Cornell and got an immediate reply, I was very excited.
> Trying to explain how it all worked to my mother was very difficult, though.

Bah! That's nothing. Using rtalk (I think it was) to chat live with
someone on the other side of the country. THAT was magic. I might have
the name wrong, but it was like the unix program talk with a split
screen top and bottom and you typed in the bottom of the split window
and the other person typed in the top.

.... <head explodes>

talk is still part of the default distribution on FreeBSD and macOS
10.13.2...

wow.

> I also remember how exciting it was the first time I encountered Mosaic.

I rememebr using SPRINTNET to dial in to netcom, where I'd use SLIP to
get a internet connection on my Mac so I could launch NCSA Mosaic. Only
10¢ a minute!

> A computer magazine published around that time had a centre page spread
> of "the whole of the Internet". Wish I'd kept it.

> Then there was Alta Vista and the world changed again.

Alta Vista and Yahoo were amazing.

--
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2018, 7:53:48 AM2/22/18
Amazon will happily sell you a copy for 5% off $35, so that you can find out.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2018, 7:56:34 AM2/22/18
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 3:05:02 AM UTC-5, Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <a8f2e72f-56c3-438e...@googlegroups.com>,
> Peter T. Daniels <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 5:41:22 PM UTC-5, Dave S wrote:
> >> On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:27:40 AM UTC-8, Hen Hanna wrote

This time, Tobin actually left in _too many_ attributions! Or better, cut one contribution too many.

> >> about throwing out the baby with the bath water.
> >>
> >> The only way to not have "Off-Topic chatter" in a thread
> >> is to post something no one wants to reply to.
> >
> >He does that all the time. So what's he complaining about?
> >
> >This new poster "Dave S" appears to be Snidely.
>
> Where do you get "Dave S" from? It doesn't appear anywhere in the
> post you replied to.
>
> -- Richard

The same way I know that you are "Richard Tobin" and not just the "Richard" you sign yourself with.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Feb 22, 2018, 8:18:20 AM2/22/18
True. That applies to copies of the post received via Usenet.
The original version on Google Groups is marked as from "Dave S"
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/alt.usage.english/iY2UaT0sung/9K6WbWqzCQAJ

"Dave S" is given as the author when the post is quoted. See above in
the 3rd line of the quoted material:
"On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 5:41:22 PM UTC-5, Dave S wrote:"

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Richard Tobin

Feb 22, 2018, 8:45:03 AM2/22/18
In article <o5gt8d1oqqeik8ld7...@4ax.com>,
Peter Duncanson [BrE] <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>>Where do you get "Dave S" from? It doesn't appear anywhere in the
>>post you replied to.

>True. That applies to copies of the post received via Usenet.
>The original version on Google Groups is marked as from "Dave S"
>https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/alt.usage.english/iY2UaT0sung/9K6WbWqzCQAJ
>
>"Dave S" is given as the author when the post is quoted. See above in
>the 3rd line of the quoted material:
>"On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 5:41:22 PM UTC-5, Dave S wrote:"

Yes, I saw that. It seems that Google Groups presents its users with
different information from what it sends to the rest of the world.
Even its own "view original" doesn't include the name anywhere.

I expect that little by little it will diverge from the rest of
usenet until it's completely proprietary.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin

Feb 22, 2018, 8:50:04 AM2/22/18
In article <c2a2b0c4-c59a-4c4b...@googlegroups.com>,
Peter T. Daniels <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> >This new poster "Dave S" appears to be Snidely.

>> Where do you get "Dave S" from? It doesn't appear anywhere in the
>> post you replied to.

>The same way I know that you are "Richard Tobin" and not just the
>"Richard" you sign yourself with.

No, you see that because it's in the From: line of the article.

The "Dave S" is shown only by Google Groups, and only because Snidely
used Google Groups to post with. Presumably his Google account has
that name associated with it.

-- Richard

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2018, 10:26:16 AM2/22/18
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 8:50:04 AM UTC-5, Richard Tobin wrote:

> >> Where do you get "Dave S" from? It doesn't appear anywhere in the
> >> post you replied to.
>
> >The same way I know that you are "Richard Tobin" and not just the
> >"Richard" you sign yourself with.
>
> No, you see that because it's in the From: line of the article.

There is no line labeled "From:". The very first line of your message comprises a blue
square where your photo (or other symbol) would appear if you'd provided one, then your
name "Richard Tobin" in boldface, then aligned right the time (using my time zone) the
message was received, the very helpful notation of how long ago (in hours or days) it was
received, and two buttons, one for Reply, one for a menu with options like "Respond
privately," "Mark for abuse," etc.

> The "Dave S" is shown only by Google Groups, and only because Snidely
> used Google Groups to post with. Presumably his Google account has
> that name associated with it.

Are you still seeing "Snidely"?

Richard Tobin

Feb 22, 2018, 10:35:02 AM2/22/18
In article <e4a16506-4cfb-4eaa...@googlegroups.com>,

>> >The same way I know that you are "Richard Tobin" and not just the
>> >"Richard" you sign yourself with.

>> No, you see that because it's in the From: line of the article.

>There is no line labeled "From:".

Apparently Google Groups doesn't show you the From: line. All
usenet postings have a From: line, even yours :-)

>The very first line of your message comprises a blue square where
>your photo (or other symbol) would appear if you'd provided one, then
>your name "Richard Tobin" in boldface, then aligned right the time
>(using my time zone) the message was received, the very helpful
>notation of how long ago (in hours or days) it was received, and two
>buttons, one for Reply, one for a menu with options like "Respond
>privately," "Mark for abuse," etc.

All that is how the Google Groups interface displays the message, not
the message itself.

>> The "Dave S" is shown only by Google Groups, and only because Snidely
>> used Google Groups to post with. Presumably his Google account has
>> that name associated with it.

>Are you still seeing "Snidely"?

I'll have a look.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin

Feb 22, 2018, 10:45:03 AM2/22/18
In article <p6mnrk$c0o$1...@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>, I wrote:

>>Are you still seeing "Snidely"?

>I'll have a look.

I see whatever is in the From: line, which is either

From: snide...@gmail.com
or
From: Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>

apparently depending on whether he posts from Google Groups or Eternal
September.

-- Richard

Quinn C

Feb 22, 2018, 1:17:50 PM2/22/18
* Lewis:
It is better to think of Gopher as an improved FTP than as a half-assed
HTTP.

Veronica was (and is) Gopher Search.

Proxied access via http (since almost no one here will probably have a
gopher client):
<https://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher%3A//gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/>

My own Gopher server has been down a while, but I may revive it.

--
The country has its quota of fools and windbags; such people are
most prominent in politics, where their inherent weaknesses seem

Kerr-Mudd,John

Feb 22, 2018, 2:08:23 PM2/22/18
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gopher_clients

Probably not.

> My own Gopher server has been down a while, but I may revive it.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Feb 22, 2018, 2:08:25 PM2/22/18
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:17:47 GMT, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

> My own Gopher server has been down a while, but I may revive it.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Quinn C

Feb 22, 2018, 2:24:50 PM2/22/18
* Kerr-Mudd,John:
Unixoid users often have Lynx, or if not, easy access to it. Until not
long ago, I was using a plugin for Firefox, but with recent versions,
it seems impossible to do. Now the plugin only redirects to the http
proxy server.

There's a lot of other Gopher software, clients and servers, some quite
recent. They're a popular sport, so much easier to write than Web
servers/browsers.

--
Software is getting slower
more rapidly than hardware becomes faster

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 22, 2018, 6:01:24 PM2/22/18
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:35:02 AM UTC-5, Richard Tobin wrote:

> >> No, you see that because it's in the From: line of the article.
>
> >There is no line labeled "From:".
>
> Apparently Google Groups doesn't show you the From: line. All
> usenet postings have a From: line, even yours :-)
>
> >The very first line of your message comprises a blue square where
> >your photo (or other symbol) would appear if you'd provided one, then
> >your name "Richard Tobin" in boldface, then aligned right the time
> >(using my time zone) the message was received, the very helpful
> >notation of how long ago (in hours or days) it was received, and two
> >buttons, one for Reply, one for a menu with options like "Respond
> >privately," "Mark for abuse," etc.
>
> All that is how the Google Groups interface displays the message, not
> the message itself.

There's something ungrammatical about that sentence.

> >> The "Dave S" is shown only by Google Groups, and only because Snidely
> >> used Google Groups to post with. Presumably his Google account has
> >> that name associated with it.
>
> >Are you still seeing "Snidely"?
>
> I'll have a look.

Then how do you even know about either "Snidely" or "Dave S."?

snide...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 7:01:52 PM2/22/18
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 3:01:24 PM UTC-8, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:35:02 AM UTC-5, Richard Tobin wrote:

> > >There is no line labeled "From:".
> >
> > Apparently Google Groups doesn't show you the From: line. All
> > usenet postings have a From: line, even yours :-)
> >
> > >The very first line of your message comprises a blue square where
> > >your photo (or other symbol) would appear if you'd provided one, then
> > >your name "Richard Tobin" in boldface, then aligned right the time
> > >(using my time zone) the message was received, the very helpful
> > >notation of how long ago (in hours or days) it was received, and two
> > >buttons, one for Reply, one for a menu with options like "Respond
> > >privately," "Mark for abuse," etc.
> >
> > All that is how the Google Groups interface displays the message, not
> > the message itself.
>
> There's something ungrammatical about that sentence.

The sentence contrasts the properties of the display and the properties
of the message.

But what seems to have triggered the display change was having my home machine
on a different network (and using MesNews to post during that vagabond period).
I've since returned the apparatus to its normal lair,
and posted from thence.
This post is the next day (per sleep periods) from the office.

> > >Are you still seeing "Snidely"?
> >
> > I'll have a look.
>
> Then how do you even know about either "Snidely" or "Dave S."?

Because he looked at the post you replied to [or commented on].
He's going to look to see if subsequent messages show one or the other name.

And you'd be able to see what he saw if you used "show original",
which I've found to be a useful tool in AUE.

/dps

Tony Cooper

Feb 22, 2018, 7:12:41 PM2/22/18
Google Groups is well beyond my ten-foot pole and I see "David S." in
the "From". I use Forte Agent.

Although I'm not sure what you mean by "shown only by".
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dr. HotSalt

Feb 22, 2018, 8:39:47 PM2/22/18
Yes, if "all that" is meant to cover the peculiarities of the Google Groups interface.

I would have written it, possibly more clearly if more colloquially::

"All that is, is how the Google Groups interface displays the message, not the message itself."

> But what seems to have triggered the display change was having my home machine
> on a different network (and using MesNews to post during that vagabond
> period).
> I've since returned the apparatus to its normal lair,
> and posted from thence.
> This post is the next day (per sleep periods) from the office.

> > > I'll have a look.
> >
> > Then how do you even know about either "Snidely" or "Dave S."?
>
> Because he looked at the post you replied to [or commented on].
> He's going to look to see if subsequent messages show one or the other name.
>
> And you'd be able to see what he saw if you used "show original",
> which I've found to be a useful tool in AUE.

That also works in Google Groups.

Dr. HotSalt

snide...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 9:00:01 PM2/22/18
Which was the [implied] context.

/dps

Richard Tobin

Feb 23, 2018, 5:10:04 AM2/23/18
In article <30nu8d5q68l1u8qfm...@4ax.com>,
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>The "Dave S" is shown only by Google Groups, and only because Snidely
>>used Google Groups to post with. Presumably his Google account has
>>that name associated with it.

>Google Groups is well beyond my ten-foot pole and I see "David S." in
>the "From". I use Forte Agent.

I wonder where it gets it from. And do you really mean "David S."
rather than the "Dave S" that PTD sees?

-- Richard

Whiskers

Feb 23, 2018, 8:40:28 AM2/23/18
Gopherspace still exists, in a very small way but some people still seem
to use it (or at least play with it). Lynx ('a text based web browser')
can handle Gopher URLs, and there are 'web portals' too.

Gopherspace is organised (relatively) sensibly, like a library or
warehouse, compared with the wild free-form jungle of the WWW. 'Web
search' services seem to ignore gopherspace.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Feb 23, 2018, 9:25:51 AM2/23/18
On 2018-02-23 14:40:17 +0100, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> said:

> On 2018-02-22, John Varela <newl...@verizon.net> wrote:

[ ... ]

>> I remember something called Gopher, sometime around 1990, before
>> Mosaic. I forget how Gopher worked. It was some sort of precursor of
>> the Web, wasn't it?
>
> Gopherspace still exists, in a very small way but some people still seem
> to use it (or at least play with it). Lynx ('a text based web browser')
> can handle Gopher URLs, and there are 'web portals' too.

Do people still use Lynx? I don't think MacLynx existed when I wanted
to know, but I used Wannabe for a while and found it excellent:
incredibly fast and easy to reload a page on a graphical browser when I
wanted to see the pictures. For Usenet it was ideal when I was using
DejaNews and the first versions of Google Groups before the
increasingly horrible obligatory downgrades. Once I moved to a proper
newreader I stopped feeling I needed Wannabe, and I don't think it
still runs.

--
athel

Tony Cooper

Feb 23, 2018, 10:19:57 AM2/23/18
I'm not sure which it was. I did look back at the post in question,
but didn't pay that much attention. It doesn't seem important enough
to bother looking it up again.

Whiskers

Feb 23, 2018, 11:12:37 AM2/23/18
Lynx is still in active development, for Unix/Linux, DOS, and Windows
systems. I'm sure it's readily available from most Linux distro
repositories. <http://lynx.invisible-island.net/> 'Links' and 'elinks'
also exist.

Peter Moylan

Feb 27, 2018, 7:04:26 AM2/27/18
On 22/02/18 20:53, LFS wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 08:56, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

>>> I remember gopher, and archie, and veronica. You had to trawl
>>> through umpteen menus to get anywhere. For a long time the whole
>>> of the business school had to share a PC in the admin office: I
>>> was so thrilled eventually to have a PC on my desk at work that I
>>> used to go in extra early to experiment. When I managed to send a
>>> message to my cousin who was studying at Cornell and got an
>>> immediate reply, I was very excited.
>>
>> I remember the thrill of that. We wanted a copy of a paper by a
>> colleague at Michigan State. We had a reply with a PDF file in a
>> latter of minutes.

We didn't initially get that sort of speed. Our university had a dial-up
connection to another university, and communication with Europe used
some sort of tortuous path of which I don't have the details. The
dial-up was done once or twice per day. It was not unusual for an e-mail
to spend 24 hours in transit.

At some stage, probably in the mid-1970s, we had an invitation to join a
Hawaii-based network via radio, but we decided that our department's
budget couldn't handle it. It can't have been too long after that that
all Australian universities were linked by permanent rather than dial-up
connections.

> I still find it fairly incredible that I can download academic papers
> so easily. I've just been clearing out hard copies that no longer
> need to clutter my study: when our library didn't have a subscription
> to the journal, I used to have to order them via the inter-library
> loan system. Now, if the library doesn't provide access or access is
> time-barred, I can email the author directly.

I used to have that capability, but lost it once I was retired from the
university. Because of that, I still don't have a complete digital
collection of my own publications, although I'm gradually filling in the
gaps by scanning paper copies.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

LFS

Feb 27, 2018, 7:32:35 AM2/27/18
The blessings of being given the title of emeritus are the permanent
email address and library access. Let me know if I can help with
accessing anything.

Peter Moylan

Feb 28, 2018, 9:04:26 PM2/28/18
Thanks. That had not occurred to me, but I'll keep it in mind for the
future.

Now that I think of it, I've had that help from another AUE regular in
the past, in getting hold of an ancient and somewhat obscure paper in
German, one that apparently nobody ever reads but which turned out to be
absolutely essential to the proof of a result that "everybody knows"
according to the economics textbooks but for which a published proof
seems to be unfindable.

Why results in economics were relevant to my own research in engineering
is a longer story that is unlikely to be of interest to anyone here.

Wayne Brown

Mar 1, 2018, 10:11:48 AM3/1/18
I still use it once in a while. The version I have installed at the
moment is 2.8.9dev.16 (11 Jul 2017).

--
F. Wayne Brown <fwb...@bellsouth.net>

ur sag9-ga ur-tur-še3 ba-an-kur9

darr...@aol.com

Apr 29, 2020, 4:26:41 PM4/29/20
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 1:26:47 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:
> Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.

> Was he always like this?>>

As far back as 2002 when he called yours truly a self-hating Jew in a cross-post to rec.musical.classical. -D, I'm not a Jew, I'm Jewish - I don't go the whole hog" ehe - JONATHAN MILLER, Yiddish-British Comedian, BEYOND THE FRINGE WITH PETER COOK.."I wish there was some award for the Myriad nameless Jewish immigrants - our parents & grandparents who never attained celebrity but who have a substantial part of the bone and flesh and robust spirit of our community" - DAVID SARNOFF, communications pioneer who paved the way for the establishment of National radio & tv networks, and started the first radio network, National Broadcasting Company (NBC) in 1926, NYC

> On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 6:53:09 PM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>

> > You're so stupid you don't even know that when something anomalous is heard,
> > it's automatically corrected by the perception mechanism to what it ought to be.

skpf...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2020, 8:34:49 PM4/29/20
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 3:38:03 PM UTC-5, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 3:06:46 PM UTC-5, Hen Hanna wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:26:47 AM UTC-8, Hen Hanna wrote:
>
> > > Peter T. Daniels trashes, ruins many threads in AUE
> > > by his short and rude, uninteresting posts.
> > >

> > > Was he always like this?
>
> He does not suffer fools gladly.

that explains his neon-sign-like self-hatred.