=SDC= Q39: An Additional Question

Jerry Friedman

Aug 21, 2011, 7:27:29 PM8/21/11
Pair the synonyms:

aim asp atop con cove done fat free her ire lie mist okay pop red ring
ruth spa

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

LFS

Aug 22, 2011, 4:16:37 AM8/22/11
On 22/08/2011 00:27, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Pair the synonyms:
>

> aim asp atop con cove done fat free her ire lie mist okay pop red ring
> ruth spa

asp/ire = aim
con/done = okay
cove/red = atop
fat/her = pop
spa/ring = ruth

But I can't see how mist/lie/free can connect...

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

James Hogg

Aug 22, 2011, 4:31:04 AM8/22/11
LFS wrote:
> On 22/08/2011 00:27, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> Pair the synonyms:
>>

>> aim asp atop con cove done fat free her ire lie mist okay pop red ring
>> ruth spa
>>

> asp/ire = aim
> con/done = okay
> cove/red = atop
> fat/her = pop
> spa/ring = ruth
>

> But I can't see how mist/lie/free can connect...

Thank you for starting me on this.

I would rearrange two of yours:

cove/ring = atop
spa/red = free

This would leave:

mist/ruth = lie

--
James

LFS

Aug 22, 2011, 5:14:02 AM8/22/11

Ah, very good. The ambiguity makes it rather a good question. And if I
were going to lose a sheep, I'd rather it were to you than any other.

James Hogg

Aug 22, 2011, 5:33:23 AM8/22/11

You say the nicest things. By the way, I find many of this year's
questions totally impenetrable (and the additional clues usually make
things worse). The only easy questions are the ones I supplied; people
have answered them quickly.

--
James

LFS

Aug 22, 2011, 5:38:10 AM8/22/11

You are not alone. I ascribed my bafflement to old age: I am still as
clever as ever (so very clever that I never even thought of bothering
with Mensa, of course) but much slower at making connections.

I console myself that I haven't yet lost my touch with sudoku: I've
recently discovered the extra challenge of the "greater than" killers at
http://www.killersudokuonline.com/play.html?puzzle=D3dho991826.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 7:05:09 AM8/22/11

Thank you!

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Jerry Friedman

Aug 22, 2011, 10:44:51 AM8/22/11

I suppose I should be used to finding that what I thought was hard was
easy and vice-versa. I thought this question was really hard and was
thinking about hints. And I thought the hard parts of the
steganography question were realizing that it was steganography and
realizing that you needed uuencode. John Holmes got it right away--
the hard parts for him turned out to be figuring out how he could get
access to uuencode and what he needed to do with it. Likewise there
are a few questions now that people have gotten what I thought were
the hard parts of; to me they seem to be hanging by a thread.

Just goes to show--the SDC is full of surprises.

--
Jerry Friedman

Cora Fuchs

Aug 22, 2011, 7:12:01 PM8/22/11
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:27:29 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>Pair the synonyms:
>

>aim asp atop con cove done fat free her ire lie mist okay pop red ring
>ruth spa

In English usage?

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:11:21 AM8/23/11

James's Cormo is paired with Laura's Katahdin for contributing and
good sportmanship.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepawarder