The Anglosphere: "Our best friends in the world speak English".

spains...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 10:41:26 AM9/21/21
The Anglosphere: "Our best friends in the world speak English".

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ieDuTMT9y4>

J. J. Lodder

Sep 21, 2021, 12:09:14 PM9/21/21
spains...@gmail.com <spains...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Anglosphere: "Our best friends in the world speak English".

Your best enemies too,

Jan

spains...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 1:36:58 PM9/21/21
Denmark could have been a Soviet vassal. Instead of that a few brave
Canadians faced off the Russian Army and saved your country.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcRl7Q7pGs>

CDB

Sep 22, 2021, 8:02:33 AM9/22/21
On 9/21/2021 1:36 PM, spains...@gmail.com wrote:
> J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> spains...@gmail.com <spains...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The Anglosphere: "Our best friends in the world speak English".
>> Your best enemies too,

> Denmark could have been a Soviet vassal. Instead of that a few brave
> Canadians faced off the Russian Army and saved your country.

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcRl7Q7pGs>

JJ is Dutch. We got there eventually, but not in good time.

How long have you been hanging around here?

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 22, 2021, 8:10:09 AM9/22/21
A long time, certainly since he posted as 'Arrison 'Ill, and maybe
before that under a different name. However, it's not obvious that he's
learnt anything.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

J. J. Lodder

Sep 22, 2021, 8:39:18 AM9/22/21
He is an American,
so he does know that Copenhagen is the capital of Holland,

Jan

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 22, 2021, 9:10:54 AM9/22/21
... and, Mr Nasty's ugly head is reared once again.

Quinn C

Sep 22, 2021, 9:15:14 AM9/22/21
* J. J. Lodder:
But he'd call it "the Copenhague".

--
If this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered
from A to Z. From axe to... zee other axe.

CDB

Sep 22, 2021, 12:13:50 PM9/22/21
On 9/22/2021 8:39 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
Tit for tat. Very nice.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 22, 2021, 12:32:58 PM9/22/21
And Washington DC is the capital of Canada, if one is doing a quick
crossword in a Canadian newspaper, and the clue is "Our capital".
(Maybe that has changed: you will know.)

Tony Cooper

Sep 22, 2021, 12:51:42 PM9/22/21
I don't think that I'm as stereotypically ignorant of world geography
as Americans are supposed to be, but I do admit that my reaction is
quite often "Where's that?" when I read about some event, or person
from, some country in Africa. And, sometimes, "What did it used to
be?".

There are currently 54 counties in Africa. Burkina Faso is sometimes
in the news, and I can't put a finger to a map of Africa and be
assured I'm at all close. Guinea-Bissau? Eswatini? Dibouti?

Capitals if any of them? Nope.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Jerry Friedman

Sep 22, 2021, 1:41:38 PM9/22/21
On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 10:51:42 AM UTC-6, Tony Cooper wrote:

> I don't think that I'm as stereotypically ignorant of world geography
> as Americans are supposed to be, but I do admit that my reaction is
> quite often "Where's that?" when I read about some event, or person
> from, some country in Africa. And, sometimes, "What did it used to
> be?".
>
> There are currently 54 counties in Africa. Burkina Faso is sometimes
> in the news, and I can't put a finger to a map of Africa and be
> assured I'm at all close. Guinea-Bissau? Eswatini?

Used to be Swaziland. I think I knew that briefly and forgot it.

> Dibouti?
>
> Capitals if any of them? Nope.

The capital of Djibouti is apparently easy to remember.

--
Jerry Friedman

musika

Sep 22, 2021, 4:10:42 PM9/22/21
I am tempted to say that I haven't moved on from Bechuanaland,
Basutoland, Nyasaland and Matabeleland but it wouldn't be true.

--
Ray
UK

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 22, 2021, 4:29:29 PM9/22/21
Mexico City, if I remember rightly.

Snidely

Sep 22, 2021, 5:02:31 PM9/22/21
Peter T. Daniels scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:
Peter, give it a rest. You'll feel better than if you keep all the
bile moving.

/dps

--
You could try being nicer and politer
> instead, and see how that works out.
-- Katy Jennison

Tony Cooper

Sep 22, 2021, 5:28:34 PM9/22/21
The word sounds like it's something that is a special dish found in
Minnesota. Second only to Lefse to hungry Minnesotians.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 23, 2021, 1:43:59 AM9/23/21
I was going to say that it had always been called Djibouti, but that
would have been wrong -- it's the city that has always been Djibouti.
The territory was once called French Somaliland; then it was called the
Territory of the Afars and the Issas, and became independent as
Djibouti.

J. J. Lodder

Sep 23, 2021, 4:00:49 AM9/23/21
Apart from that,
this whole 'Canadians saved the Danes from Stalin' yarn is bunk.

OTOH, the Canadians, not the Americans liberated Holland
in May 1945. And the Dutch still know it.
There is always a place of honour for Canadian veterans
in the liberation festivities,

Jan

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 23, 2021, 5:42:00 AM9/23/21
Vatican City is down at the end of the list, below Luxumburgh (1) with Singapore in the middle.

I don't think 'Salvador' on it's own works.

(*) Attempts to stir up the 'luxembourg' spelling controversy again.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 23, 2021, 7:49:21 AM9/23/21
Agreed: I don't think El Salvador qualifies, though I've asked myself
the question. There is also Guatemala.

> (*) Attempts to stir up the 'luxembourg' spelling controversy again.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 23, 2021, 7:59:26 AM9/23/21
On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:02:31 PM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:
> Peter T. Daniels scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:
> > On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 8:10:09 AM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden
> > wrote:

> >> A long time, certainly since he posted as 'Arrison 'Ill, and maybe
> >> before that under a different name. However, it's not obvious that he's
> >> learnt anything.
> >> --
> >> Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.
> >
> > ... and, Mr Nasty's ugly head is reared once again.
> Peter, give it a rest. You'll feel better than if you keep all the
> bile moving.

You like seeing him insult just about every non native-speaker here?

CDB

Sep 23, 2021, 9:36:57 AM9/23/21
On 9/22/2021 12:32 PM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> CDB said:
>> J. J. Lodder wrote:

>>> He is an American, so he does know that Copenhagen is the
>>> capital of Holland,

>> Tit for tat. Very nice.

> And Washington DC is the capital of Canada, if one is doing a quick
> crossword in a Canadian newspaper, and the clue is "Our capital".
> (Maybe that has changed: you will know.)

In some ways we are a branch-plant society. There are puzzles that are
Canadian, sometimes aggressively so, but I prefer the difficulty of
working in a foreign field of associations.

That is forever US or UK.

Paul Wolff

Sep 23, 2021, 9:51:00 AM9/23/21
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 10:00:47, J. J. Lodder posted:

>Apart from that,
>this whole 'Canadians saved the Danes from Stalin' yarn is bunk.
>
>OTOH, the Canadians, not the Americans liberated Holland
>in May 1945. And the Dutch still know it.
>There is always a place of honour for Canadian veterans
>in the liberation festivities,

The Canadians are still remembered on 12th April. Even I have been
taught to remember that date.
--
Paul

spains...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2021, 10:42:55 AM9/23/21
And for the Brits at Arnhem. My father-in-law went there several
times - he was landed in a glider at Arnhem, and was taken POW.
Presumably Americans and Canadians also landed at Arnhem?

Something else to find out.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 23, 2021, 3:03:08 PM9/23/21
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:49:17 +0200
I didn't think I'd get them all.

Moanaco, Andorra

> --
> Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Sam Plusnet

Sep 23, 2021, 4:00:21 PM9/23/21
He has referring to spains... previously known as Harrison Hill.
I don't understand where "non native-speaker" comes into this.
You do seem to get the wrong end of the stick quite often when venting
spleen.

J. J. Lodder

Sep 23, 2021, 5:03:06 PM9/23/21
ou must bring my memory up to date.
What happened on april 12, apart from Roosevelt dying?

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Sep 23, 2021, 5:03:07 PM9/23/21
Nope.
The Americans took care of all those bridges that were not too far,

Jan

Quinn C

Sep 23, 2021, 5:18:55 PM9/23/21
* Jerry Friedman:

> On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 10:51:42 AM UTC-6, Tony Cooper wrote:
>
>> I don't think that I'm as stereotypically ignorant of world geography
>> as Americans are supposed to be, but I do admit that my reaction is
>> quite often "Where's that?" when I read about some event, or person
>> from, some country in Africa. And, sometimes, "What did it used to
>> be?".
>>
>> There are currently 54 counties in Africa. Burkina Faso is sometimes
>> in the news, and I can't put a finger to a map of Africa and be
>> assured I'm at all close. Guinea-Bissau? Eswatini?
>
> Used to be Swaziland. I think I knew that briefly and forgot it.

The systems we develop at work need to stay on top of such changes, but
I'm not in charge of that.

>> Dibouti?
>>
>> Capitals if any of them? Nope.
>
> The capital of Djibouti is apparently easy to remember.

Once, there were Congo (Kinshasa) and Congo (Brazzaville). But which is
the Democratic one (by name) now? I was right, but wasn't all that
certain.

When Jeopardy asked a while ago for a land-locked African country with
110 million inhabitants, I didn't get there in time. I considered the
correct answer, but had long lost track of the serious population
growth.

--
The Eskimoes had fifty-two names for snow because it was
important to them, there ought to be as many for love.

Quinn C

Sep 23, 2021, 5:18:55 PM9/23/21
* Kerr-Mudd, John:
Ann Dora the Explorer?

Today, I heard someone speculating that the Canadian spelling for "soap"
would be "souap". I don't think they were being serious, though.

--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that
good men do nothing.

Paul Wolff

Sep 23, 2021, 5:38:03 PM9/23/21
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 23:03:03, J. J. Lodder posted:
'Liberation day', for the living still held in Westerbork.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp>:

The War Diary of the South Saskatchewan Regiment referenced the camp in
its entry for April 12, 1945:

At 0930 hrs Lt-Col V Stott, DSO, accompanied by the
I(ntelligence)O(fficer), Lt JD Cade, visited the Jewish Concentration
Camp at (map reference) 2480. It was a rather startling sight as you
approached the camp to see what is normally the appearance of a
penitentiary. It was completely surrounded with barbed wire and had four
lookout towers. Approximately 900 people were being held in this camp.
The CO visited the officers kitchens and medical room and found the food
and medical supplies to be in fairly good condition. While in the
kitchen a number of A Co(mpan)y boys were observed helping the girls
peel potatoes. It's surprising the influence girls, especially pretty
ones, have with soldiers. It's a pity our cooks are unable to apply the
same methods. Visiting a camp like this brings home to us the reality of
what we are fighting for.
--
Paul

Tony Cooper

Sep 23, 2021, 5:40:42 PM9/23/21

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 24, 2021, 1:38:57 AM9/24/21
I'm sure that 'Arrison will be delighted to have PTD coming to his
defence. What nobler ally could he want?

Tak To

Sep 24, 2021, 3:41:27 AM9/24/21
Mornington Crescent!

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 5:11:51 AM9/24/21
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 23:03:03 +0200, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
> Lodder) wrote:
>
> >Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 10:00:47, J. J. Lodder posted:

> >> The Canadians are still remembered on 12th April. Even I have been
> >> taught to remember that date.
> >
> >You must bring my memory up to date.
> >What happened on april 12, apart from Roosevelt dying?
> >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

Other times, another war.
Have to admit that I forgot about ANZAC day too,
(april 25, in case you also forgot)

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 5:11:53 AM9/24/21
Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 23:03:03, J. J. Lodder posted:
> >Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 10:00:47, J. J. Lodder posted:

> >> The Canadians are still remembered on 12th April. Even I have been
> >> taught to remember that date.
> >
> >ou must bring my memory up to date.
> >What happened on april 12, apart from Roosevelt dying?
> >
> 'Liberation day', for the living still held in Westerbork.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp>:

Not memorable, I'm afraid, except to those who were involved.
The memorable dates have been fixed at May 4 and 5,
for remembrance of the dead and for liberation,

Jan

Paul Wolff

Sep 24, 2021, 6:02:37 AM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, at 11:11:51, J. J. Lodder posted:
>Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

>> >ou must bring my memory up to date.
>> >What happened on april 12, apart from Roosevelt dying?
>> >
>> 'Liberation day', for the living still held in Westerbork.
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp>:
>
>Not memorable, I'm afraid,
Is this a Lodder /ex cathedra/ ruling?

>except to those who were involved.
Precisely. People remember those things that concern them.

--
Paul

spains...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2021, 6:41:40 AM9/24/21
Yes, Brits and Poles. Audrey Hepburn was around Arnhem at that time,
and conditions were very bad:

"Like others, Hepburn's family resorted to making flour out of tulip bulbs
to bake cakes and biscuits; she developed acute anaemia, respiratory
problems and oedema as a result of malnutrition. The Van Heemstra
family was also seriously financially affected by the occupation, during
which many of their properties, including their principal estate in Arnhem,
were badly damaged or destroyed."

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Hepburn>

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 7:34:42 AM9/24/21
Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
[split replies]
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 23:03:03, J. J. Lodder posted:
> >Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 10:00:47, J. J. Lodder posted:

> >> The Canadians are still remembered on 12th April. Even I have been
> >> taught to remember that date.
> >
> >ou must bring my memory up to date.
> >What happened on april 12, apart from Roosevelt dying?
> >
> 'Liberation day', for the living still held in Westerbork.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp>:
>
> The War Diary of the South Saskatchewan Regiment referenced the camp in
> its entry for April 12, 1945:

He didn't do much 'liberating'.
All Germans had fled before their arrival.
What they did was take control.

> At 0930 hrs Lt-Col V Stott, DSO, accompanied by the
> I(ntelligence)O(fficer), Lt JD Cade, visited the Jewish Concentration
> Camp at (map reference) 2480. It was a rather startling sight as you
> approached the camp to see what is normally the appearance of a
> penitentiary. It was completely surrounded with barbed wire and had four
> lookout towers. Approximately 900 people were being held in this camp.
> The CO visited the officers kitchens and medical room and found the food
> and medical supplies to be in fairly good condition. While in the
> kitchen a number of A Co(mpan)y boys were observed helping the girls
> peel potatoes. It's surprising the influence girls, especially pretty
> ones, have with soldiers. It's a pity our cooks are unable to apply the
> same methods. Visiting a camp like this brings home to us the reality of
> what we are fighting for.

Conversely, the Canadian boys were quit a succes with the Dutch girls,
with many kiddies being born as a result.
Some of the lucky girls got married, and emigrated to Canada.

At those veterans parades with Canadians present
there were always children by the side, holding up boards
with much enlarged identity photographs of soldiers,
with: Does anyone know who this is? Please contact...

Too late nowadays, but there have been some happy reunions
of (grand)children based on searching in DNA databases,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 7:34:42 AM9/24/21
Brits only on the north bank,
Brits and a Polish support division on the south.

> "Like others, Hepburn's family resorted to making flour out of tulip bulbs
> to bake cakes and biscuits; she developed acute anaemia, respiratory
> problems and oedema as a result of malnutrition.

Conditions in the east of the Netherlands were relatively mild,
in comparison with what it was like in Holland.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944%E2%80%931945>

> The Van Heemstra family was also seriously financially affected by the
> occupation, during which many of their properties, including their
> principal estate in Arnhem, were badly damaged or destroyed."

Too bad for them. They were nobility, and relatively rich.
They were also fanatical nazis,
so you might argue that they got just what they deserved.

> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Hepburn>

Otto Frank wanted Audrey to play Anne Frank in the movie.
She refused.
It is supposed that she felt that she couldn't do it,
given her nazi family background,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 7:34:42 AM9/24/21
Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, at 11:11:51, J. J. Lodder posted:
> >Paul Wolff <boun...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, at 23:03:03, J. J. Lodder posted:

> >> 'Liberation day', for the living still held in Westerbork.
> >>
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp>:
> >
> >Not memorable, I'm afraid,
> Is this a Lodder /ex cathedra/ ruling?

Do read. I didn't write Memorable,

Jan

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 24, 2021, 8:31:01 AM9/24/21
PTD needs some excuse for his statements that start "We".

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 24, 2021, 9:07:26 AM9/24/21
On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 4:00:21 PM UTC-4, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 23/09/2021 12:59, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 5:02:31 PM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:
> >> Peter T. Daniels scribbled something on Wednesday the 9/22/2021:

> >> Peter, give it a rest. You'll feel better than if you keep all the
> >> bile moving.
> > You like seeing him insult just about every non native-speaker here?
>
> He has referring to spains... previously known as Harrison Hill.

What does that have to do with insulting the non-natives? (Unless
you think "yobs," whatever those are besides being a frequent
insult of is, are not native speakers?

> I don't understand where "non native-speaker" comes into this.
> You do seem to get the wrong end of the stick quite often when venting
> spleen.

I take it you don't look at the threads of Hongyi, of Tonbei,
of navi-Arthur, etc.

If he provides an answer to the query alongside the insult,
I don't comment on the insult.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 24, 2021, 9:12:06 AM9/24/21
Talk about wrong ends of sticks!

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 24, 2021, 9:12:19 AM9/24/21
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the US, though not much in Mexico.

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 24, 2021, 9:15:44 AM9/24/21
????? What does American English have to do with Mr. Nasty's
insults of 'Arrison? (And what do Mr. Nasty's insults of 'Arrison
have to do with his insults of non native speakers?)

Paul Wolff

Sep 24, 2021, 11:42:49 AM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, at 13:34:39, J. J. Lodder posted:
Congratulations.
--
Paul

J. J. Lodder

Sep 24, 2021, 11:55:54 AM9/24/21
For other Europeans it is May 8,
the real ultimate end of it all in Berlin.

That's VE-day for Americans too,

Jan

Sam Plusnet

Sep 24, 2021, 3:08:14 PM9/24/21
I'm sure it would help everyone if you confined your insults to those
relevant to the current thread.
When you perform an erratic swerve & later say your latest insult was a
reference to something which happened elsewhere in another place
(something which you entirely failed to mention at the time, but seem to
expect others here to guess)...
It really doesn't help anyone old chap.