Beef, Pork, Poultry vs Cow, Pig, Chicken?

aicelef

Sep 25, 2003, 5:49:29 PM9/25/03
Cow ---> Beef
Pig ---> Pork
Chicken ---> Poultry?!

Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?

Why make up more words? It makes no sense.

Is it do to guilt?

Simon R. Hughes

Sep 25, 2003, 5:57:31 PM9/25/03
Thus spake aicelef:

It's not us making up words; it was Willy the Frog.

> Is it do to guilt?

???
--
Simon R. Hughes <!-- Kill "Kenny" for email. -->
<!-- http://www.mirrorproject.com/mirror?id=17972 -->

Lars Eighner

Sep 25, 2003, 6:11:25 PM9/25/03
In our last episode,
<qbo6nv41ud8lo1g4r...@4ax.com>,
the lovely and talented aicelef
broadcast on alt.usage.english:

1066, and all that.

--
Lars Eighner -finger for geek code- eig...@io.com http://www.io.com/~eighner/
Think like a man of action. Act like a man of thought. --Henri Bergson

Padraig Breathnach

Sep 25, 2003, 6:22:24 PM9/25/03
aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com> wrote:

No. It's economic power. Really. For the first two, anyway. Add
Sheep ---> Mutton.
Deer ---> Venison

The animals were tended by the English, who used English words for
them, but were consumed by Norman overlords, who used French words.

PB

Oliver Cromm

Sep 25, 2003, 6:27:21 PM9/25/03
Simon R. Hughes wrote:

>> Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
>> countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?

Some do, some don't.

>> Is it do to guilt?
>
> ???

Tentative correction: Is it due to (a feeling of) guilt?

Illustration: We sometimes ask our (not yet 2 years old) son if he
want's to eat moo-moo, but we might want to stop that at some point.

Oliver C.

Niall Leonard

Sep 25, 2003, 6:30:19 PM9/25/03

Yes, namely:

Cow = boeuf = beef
pig= porc = pork
chicken = poulet = pullet, or poultry I suppose.

The point is, the peasants couldn't afford to eat 'em. Only the
French nobility. So they got to name them. And don't get me started
on droit de seigneur.

nl

email address munged. Replace the ones and chuck out the rubbish to reply.

Simon R. Hughes

Sep 25, 2003, 6:33:35 PM9/25/03
Thus spake Oliver Cromm:

The attribution is wrong. Everything of mine, except for the "???"
has been deleted.

Padraig Breathnach

Sep 25, 2003, 6:39:06 PM9/25/03
Niall Leonard <ni...@1nkyth1ng.com.rubbish> wrote:

> And don't get me started on droit de seigneur.

I won't. It can be a most tiring exercise during the wedding season.
You probably need a rest.

PB

Skitt

Sep 25, 2003, 6:46:23 PM9/25/03
Simon R. Hughes wrote:
> Thus spake Oliver Cromm:

>> Some do, some don't.

>>> ???
>>
>> Tentative correction: Is it due to (a feeling of) guilt?
>>
>> Illustration: We sometimes ask our (not yet 2 years old) son if he
>> want's to eat moo-moo, but we might want to stop that at some point.
>
> The attribution is wrong. Everything of mine, except for the "???"
> has been deleted.

Don't you want to own up to the "???"?
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/

Simon R. Hughes

Sep 25, 2003, 6:49:08 PM9/25/03
Thus spake Skitt:

,

Better?

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 25, 2003, 6:55:51 PM9/25/03
aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Why make up more words? It makes no sense.p

> Is it do to guilt?

Nope. 'Twere the foreigners what could afford to eat 'em.

HP Laboratories |_Bauplan_ is just the German word
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |for blueprint. Typically, one
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |switches languages to indicate
|profundity.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Richard Dawkins
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Padraig Breathnach

Sep 25, 2003, 7:35:17 PM9/25/03
Evan Kirshenbaum <kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Cow ---> Beef
>> Pig ---> Pork
>> Chicken ---> Poultry?!
>>
>> Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
>> countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?
>>
>> Why make up more words? It makes no sense.p
>>
>> Is it do to guilt?
>
>Nope. 'Twere the foreigners what could afford to eat 'em.

Careful about calling them foreigners. They were just the latest wave
of natives.

PB

Alison

Sep 25, 2003, 8:01:11 PM9/25/03
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:49:29 -0700, aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Cow ---> Beef
>Pig ---> Pork
>Chicken ---> Poultry?!

You've got chicken and poultry the wrong way round.

>Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
>countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?

It's all the fault of those Frenchies, coming over here with their
high-faluting ways, making the local peasants look after the animals
and then adding garlic to everything.

BTW, in French:

Vache - Boeuf
Cochon - Porc
Poulet - er, Poulet.

--
Alison

Charles Riggs

Sep 26, 2003, 3:51:33 AM9/26/03

As the English tourist in Berlin said in her most superior tone, "I'm
not the foreigner here, they're the foreigners". I'm with her. It used
to piss me off no end when I had to register as an ALIEN each year.
Shitfire, was I a piranha -- what's that word? -- from outer space?
--
Charles Riggs

Charles Riggs

Sep 26, 2003, 3:51:32 AM9/26/03
wrote:

>Cow ---> Beef

For some, I think it is indeed due to guilt. Some of us feel bad when
we promote the killing the animals, as we do when we eat them or serve
them to others. Another possible factor is that some people are like
me, not liking to use the word "meat". It, to me, is a foul word which
I avoid like the plague in speech or letters. It's tomfoolery though,
for I do eat beef, but don't like to admit to myself I eat chunks or
minced pieces of dead cows.
--
Charles Riggs

Charles Riggs

Sep 26, 2003, 3:51:32 AM9/26/03
On 25 Sep 2003 15:55:51 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
<kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Cow ---> Beef
>> Pig ---> Pork
>> Chicken ---> Poultry?!
>>
>> Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
>> countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?
>>
>> Why make up more words? It makes no sense.p
>>
>> Is it do to guilt?
>
>Nope. 'Twere the foreigners what could afford to eat 'em.

Not all furriners think they oughta, though. Certain Chinese and
Indian furriners may top that list. When breaking with tradition, as
happens, they might well feel guilt, so not Nope but Yup, for them.
--
Charles Riggs

Jonathan Miller

Sep 26, 2003, 1:46:43 PM9/26/03
"Alison" <news....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:49:29 -0700, aicelef <aic...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Cow ---> Beef
> >Pig ---> Pork
> >Chicken ---> Poultry?!
>
> You've got chicken and poultry the wrong way round.
> >
> >Why not call it cow meat, pig meat, chicken meat? Don't non-english
> >countries call it that way (such-and-such meat)?
>
> It's all the fault of those Frenchies, coming over here with their
> high-faluting ways, making the local peasants look after the animals
> and then adding garlic to everything.

I suppose you could call 'em Frenchies, but they sure weren't Franks (like
the famous Karl der Grosse) or Gauls, but rather Northmen who just happened
to pick up the local dialect while staying there on the way to depose their
cousins.

Jon Miller