Amount vs Number

Charles Leviton

Jul 29, 2021, 11:52:20 AM7/29/21
Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?

Snidely

Jul 29, 2021, 12:50:10 PM7/29/21
On Thursday or thereabouts, Stefan Ram declared ...
> Charles Leviton <charles...@gmail.com> writes:
>> Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?
>
> Common and Vulgar English frequently use "amount" with plural
> count nouns ("a huge amount of children on the playground"),
> and repeated exposures to that usage often blur the Standard
> models for us. There are also instances where plural count
> nouns are treated as representing those items in mass and
> hence usable with amount. (quoted from a source published
> in 1993)
>
> "Amount" is now fast breaking into the territory of "number",
> sometimes, but by no means always, when the following plural
> noun is viewed as an aggregate or collection. (quoted from a
> source published in 2000)

Which sources? Why should we believe them?

/dps

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

Ken Blake

Jul 29, 2021, 1:02:53 PM7/29/21
On 7/29/2021 8:52 AM, Charles Leviton wrote:
> Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?

and also less vs fewer

--
Ken

Snidely

Jul 29, 2021, 1:06:55 PM7/29/21
Just this Thursday, Stefan Ram puzzled about:
> r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
>> Charles Leviton <charles...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?
>> Common and Vulgar English frequently use "amount" with plural
>> count nouns
>
> But other sources opine that the simplified distinction was
> arteficial from the start and never reflected common usage.
> For example,
>
>> ... we could absorb a vast amount of South American products -
> Thurman W. Arnold, The Bottlenecks of Business, 1940
>
>> ... who wrote the U.N. that he'd be glad to furnish any
>> amount of black pebbles
> New Yorker, 20 Sept. 1952
>
> . These voices say that "amount" is (correctly) used for
> plural count nouns when they are thought of as an aggregate.

Yay! Sources cited!

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Charles Leviton

Jul 29, 2021, 2:53:37 PM7/29/21
On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 12:50:10 PM UTC-4, Snidely wrote:
> On Thursday or thereabouts, Stefan Ram declared ...
Only in the sense that I just seem to hear more and more of amount being used in place of number- so was wondering if there was any benefit to belabouring the point!

Ken Blake

Jul 29, 2021, 3:12:13 PM7/29/21
On 7/29/2021 10:28 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> writes:
>>and also less vs fewer
>
> Webster's Usage observed in 1989 that the usual rule is
> simplified and that in actual usage of the past thousand
> years "less" also is used for counted things.

Yes, used by many people, but not by me.

--
Ken

Peter Moylan

Jul 29, 2021, 7:59:47 PM7/29/21
On 30/07/21 02:52, Charles Leviton wrote:

> Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?

It's certainly teetering on the edge.

The loss of this distinction could be one more step towards the loss of
the distinction in English between mass and count nouns. Probably not in
my lifetime, though, nor even that of my children.

Dingbat

Jul 30, 2021, 4:19:29 AM7/30/21
On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 10:20:10 PM UTC+5:30, Snidely wrote:
> On Thursday or thereabouts, Stefan Ram declared ...
> > Charles Leviton <charles...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?
> >
> > Common and Vulgar English frequently use "amount" with plural
> > count nouns ("a huge amount of children on the playground"),
> > and repeated exposures to that usage often blur the Standard
> > models for us. There are also instances where plural count
> > nouns are treated as representing those items in mass and
> > hence usable with amount. (quoted from a source published
> > in 1993)
> >
> > "Amount" is now fast breaking into the territory of "number",
> > sometimes, but by no means always, when the following plural
> > noun is viewed as an aggregate or collection. (quoted from a
> > source published in 2000)
>
> Which sources? Why should we believe them?
>
> /dps

In Indian English: so much of money

CDB

Jul 30, 2021, 7:58:03 AM7/30/21
On 7/29/2021 2:53 PM, Charles Leviton wrote:
It may be that the best you can do is preserve the proper use in your
own English.

--
Be just and fear not.

Charles Leviton

Jul 30, 2021, 9:59:27 AM7/30/21
And sing to yourself the Frozen song :-)

CDB

Jul 30, 2021, 10:22:40 AM7/30/21
On 7/30/2021 9:59 AM, Charles Leviton wrote:
Had to look that up (not a Disney fan).

I thought of my quotation in terms of _Rocky Horror Picture Show_ (it's
the text posted at the church where Betty Monroe becomes Mrs Ralph
Hapschatt), but it's a poem too, by Henry Alford -- who does go on a bit:

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/be-just-and-fear-not/

Mack A. Damia

Jul 30, 2021, 11:43:36 AM7/30/21

"If I lose the election, there MUST have been cheating."

Embraced by millions of Americans, it is remains a hot-button issue.

Much of American culture has generally adopted this rationalization -
"if our side loses, there must have been cheating."

I see it in the Olympics. I don't know the full story, but Russia was
banned because of drug use, so the athletes who trained hard and
tested drug-free have been competing under the banner of the "ROC".

The ROC won a Gold medal, beating the U.S. America's response" "They
cheated".

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 30, 2021, 3:31:00 PM7/30/21
Where did you find that response?

Tony Cooper

Jul 30, 2021, 5:12:46 PM7/30/21
It wasn't "they". It was Ryan Murphy, who placed second behind the
Russian in the 200-meter backstroke. He didn't say "They cheated",
but did say "I’ve got about 15 thoughts. Thirteen of them would get me
into a lot of trouble. It is a huge mental drain on me to go
throughout the year that I’m swimming in a race that’s probably not
clean.”

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Mack A. Damia

Jul 30, 2021, 5:15:15 PM7/30/21
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:30:57 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

It was a story I heard yesterday featured on news about the Olympics.
I think the term used to describe the issue was "not clean".

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/ryan-murphy-swimmer-doping-russia-rylov-b1893500.html

Snidely

Jul 30, 2021, 7:04:30 PM7/30/21
Charles Leviton noted that:
I'm not sure how your reply relates to my post.

/dps

--
You could try being nicer and politer
> instead, and see how that works out.
-- Katy Jennison

Snidely

Jul 30, 2021, 7:40:51 PM7/30/21
CDB blurted out:
Damn, every time I thought I had shut off the player and gone back to
the tab I was trying to foreground, it would start up again. And
seemed to go on to other poems without have the auto-next button
checked.

/dps

--
"First thing in the morning, before I have coffee, I read the obits, If
I'm not in it, I'll have breakfast." -- Carl Reiner, to CBS News in

Peter Moylan

Jul 30, 2021, 10:13:30 PM7/30/21
I had to look it up, too, even though I had heard the song before. That
automatically brought up a mental picture of the Muppets singing "Letter
B, letter B, ..."

Horace LaBadie

Jul 30, 2021, 11:36:24 PM7/30/21
In article <fiq8gg9mbdkcc5i6n...@4ax.com>,
And, of course, the Russian national team had been disqualified because
of doping in past Olympics. It's not as though that was in any doubt
about that. Some individual Russian athletes were permitted to compete,
just not as a team representing Russia.

bil...@shaw.ca

Jul 31, 2021, 2:29:21 AM7/31/21
On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 4:59:47 PM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 30/07/21 02:52, Charles Leviton wrote:
>
> > Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?
> It's certainly teetering on the edge.
>
> The loss of this distinction could be one more step towards the loss of
> the distinction in English between mass and count nouns. Probably not in
> my lifetime, though, nor even that of my children.

Perhaps, but for the time being, I'm continuing to see the use of "less" where
count nouns apply to be in error. It's not allowed by my personal style guide.

bill

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 9:05:38 AM7/31/21
How does Damia get from that to "America's response"?

Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.

Tony Cooper

Jul 31, 2021, 9:32:05 AM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 06:05:35 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
To add to your indignation, his sister's name is Sherridon Dressel.

She is also an ISL swimmer and an All-American in swimming at UofF.

Tony Cooper

Jul 31, 2021, 9:47:13 AM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:31:59 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
>>spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.
>

>To add to your indignation, his sister's name is Sherridon Dressel.
>
>She is also an ISL swimmer and an All-American in swimming at UofF.

For the benefit of Otherponders, an "All-American" is not a person who
is ultra-patriotic, neccessarily a descendant of Americans, or even a
citizen of the United States.

It is a term used to mean a selection of high school or university
students who excel at something, and the selection includes students
of any high school or university in the United States.

It is usually a selection of high school or university students who
excel in a sport (as Sherridon Dressel has), but we also have Academic
All-Americans who excel both in sports and academics.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 31, 2021, 11:48:23 AM7/31/21
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Friday, July 30, 2021 at 5:12:46 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:30:57 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
>> <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> >Where did you find that response?
>>
>> It wasn't "they". It was Ryan Murphy, who placed second behind the
>> Russian in the 200-meter backstroke. He didn't say "They cheated",
>> but did say "I’ve got about 15 thoughts. Thirteen of them would get me
>> into a lot of trouble. It is a huge mental drain on me to go
>> throughout the year that I’m swimming in a race that’s probably not
>> clean.”
>
>How does Damia get from that to "America's response"?

Explanation:

I vaguely caught the original story, so I wasn't certain what exactly
was said.

Is doping a form of cheating? Answer please.

Does Murphy represent "America"? Answer please.

The quote marks were there for emphasis not to indicate an exact
quote.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 31, 2021, 11:55:19 AM7/31/21
So the Russian athletes who trained very hard and did not use drugs
have to be penalized because of the actions of a few renegades? I
don't think so.

It is all about "sportsmanship", a dying feature of competition. That
goes for all sides.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 1:33:57 PM7/31/21
According to international standards, yes.

However, the Russians who are participating are the ones for whom
there is no evidence of doping.

> Does Murphy represent "America"? Answer please.

No. Not in the sense "America's response: 'They cheated.'"

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 1:36:13 PM7/31/21
How are they being penalized? What in Horace's response suggests
that he thinks they are being penalized?

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 1:36:54 PM7/31/21
That's hilarious!

Mack A. Damia

Jul 31, 2021, 1:46:02 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:36:10 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:19 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:36:17 -0400, Horace LaBadie
>> <hlab...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> >And, of course, the Russian national team had been disqualified because
>> >of doping in past Olympics. It's not as though that was in any doubt
>> >about that. Some individual Russian athletes were permitted to compete,
>> >just not as a team representing Russia.
>>
>> So the Russian athletes who trained very hard and did not use drugs
>> have to be penalized because of the actions of a few renegades? I
>> don't think so.
>>
>How are they being penalized? What in Horace's response suggests
>that he thinks they are being penalized?

Russia was disqualified from competing, genius. The few who did take
part in the games competed under the name of R.O.C.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 31, 2021, 1:49:41 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:33:55 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
You can bet that a very large number of Americans believe that "they
cheated", and you would win. They all represent America's take on the
issue.

Tony Cooper

Jul 31, 2021, 2:05:11 PM7/31/21
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:19 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:36:17 -0400, Horace LaBadie
>> <hlab...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> >And, of course, the Russian national team had been disqualified because
>> >of doping in past Olympics. It's not as though that was in any doubt
>> >about that. Some individual Russian athletes were permitted to compete,
>> >just not as a team representing Russia.
>>
>> So the Russian athletes who trained very hard and did not use drugs
>> have to be penalized because of the actions of a few renegades? I
>> don't think so.
>>
>How are they being penalized? What in Horace's response suggests
>that he thinks they are being penalized?

Of course they're being penalized. They are not representiving their
country, their national anthem will not be played if they reach the
podium, their national flag will not be displayed, and their
achievements in the Olympics will not be entered as Russian
achievments along with the achievements of other Russians in other
Olympics.

Nationality is important to athletes. Many of the Olympic competitors
live and train in the US, but compete under their native nationality.
Flora Duffy lives and trains in Boulder, Colorado and in Stellenboch,
South Africa, but competed for Bermuda in the Woman's Triathlon.

>> It is all about "sportsmanship", a dying feature of competition. That
>> goes for all sides.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 3:29:34 PM7/31/21
Where is the penalty?

They are competing.

Both the gymnastics teams took gold, first time in a lot of years.

At least one of the swimmers did (see Murphy, above).

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 3:32:09 PM7/31/21
It would be hard for anyone to be more chauvinistic than the NBC
announcers, and they have suggested no such thing. I don't know
whether FoxNews has a sports division. Fox Sports worries about
other stuff.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 31, 2021, 3:37:20 PM7/31/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 2:05:11 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:36:10 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
> <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:19 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> >> So the Russian athletes who trained very hard and did not use drugs
> >> have to be penalized because of the actions of a few renegades? I
> >> don't think so.
> >>
> >How are they being penalized? What in Horace's response suggests
> >that he thinks they are being penalized?
> >
> Of course they're being penalized. They are not representiving their
> country, their national anthem will not be played if they reach the
> podium, their national flag will not be displayed, and their
> achievements in the Olympics will not be entered as Russian
> achievments along with the achievements of other Russians in other
> Olympics.

Their label is "Russian Olympic Committee."

Were the athletes who competed in 1992 as representing "Commonwealth
of Independent States" being "penalized" because they weren't representing
"Russia"? or any of the Stans? or presumably the Baltics and Caucasus?

> Nationality is important to athletes. Many of the Olympic competitors
> live and train in the US, but compete under their native nationality.
> Flora Duffy lives and trains in Boulder, Colorado and in Stellenboch,
> South Africa, but competed for Bermuda in the Woman's Triathlon.

Duh. They don't consider themselves "Americans." A number of them
have dual citizenship. One of the San Marino guys represents that
country because his (great?) grandfather emigrated from there to
the US a century ago,

The Russians don't train in some other country.

Mack A. Damia

Jul 31, 2021, 3:57:23 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:05:05 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 10:36:10 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
><gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:19 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote:

>>> So the Russian athletes who trained very hard and did not use drugs
>>> have to be penalized because of the actions of a few renegades? I
>>> don't think so.
>>>
>>How are they being penalized? What in Horace's response suggests
>>that he thinks they are being penalized?
>>
>Of course they're being penalized. They are not representiving their
>country, their national anthem will not be played if they reach the
>podium, their national flag will not be displayed, and their
>achievements in the Olympics will not be entered as Russian
>achievments along with the achievements of other Russians in other
>Olympics.

Daniels needs to find something he can argue about. I told you that
he is culturally ignorant and socially retarded. He doesn't even
bother looking up the definition of "penalty" before opening his yap.

Peter Moylan

Jul 31, 2021, 7:57:58 PM7/31/21
On 01/08/21 00:05, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to spell
> his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.

Australian reporters all seem to pronounce Ledecky's name as Ledekky,
despite having encountered any number of other Slavic name endings.

musika

Jul 31, 2021, 8:31:02 PM7/31/21
On 31/07/2021 23:57, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 01/08/21 00:05, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>
>> Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to spell
>> his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.
>
> Australian reporters all seem to pronounce Ledecky's name as Ledekky,
> despite having encountered any number of other Slavic name endings.

She's American and that's how her name is pronounced.

--
Ray
UK

Quinn C

Jul 31, 2021, 8:58:02 PM7/31/21
* Horace LaBadie:
If you count 328 of them as "some individual athletes". To me, the "ban"
feels mostly symbolic.

--
There is a whole cottage industry devoted to people who are
upset by the idea of others being outraged.

Quinn C

Jul 31, 2021, 9:29:02 PM7/31/21
* Peter T. Daniels:

> Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
> spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.

You expect him to correct the spellings his parents chose?

--
...an explanatory principle - like "gravity" or "instinct" -
really explains nothing. It's a sort of conventional agreement

Tony Cooper

Jul 31, 2021, 11:46:48 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:28:53 -0400, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>* Peter T. Daniels:
>
>> Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
>> spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.
>
>You expect him to correct the spellings his parents chose?

Watch out for falling jaws, but I'm going to stooge for PTD.

It's *possible* that Caeleb's name is not how his parents spelled it.
I've known several people who have invented the spelling of their
first name just to be different.

There's no indication that this is the case here, but there's no proof
that "Caeleb" is on his birth certificate.

PTD's only error is declaring the possible a fact.

Peter Moylan

Aug 1, 2021, 1:15:43 AM8/1/21
Oh, OK, I wasn't aware of that. You can tell how much interest I'm
taking in the Olympics.

Dingbat

Aug 1, 2021, 1:58:15 AM8/1/21
On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 10:32:53 PM UTC+5:30, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 7/29/2021 8:52 AM, Charles Leviton wrote:
> > Like the "lie vs lay" debate, is "Amount vs Number" a lost cause?
> and also less vs fewer

COVID: Some jabbed people have 7 time less antibodies than others | Jerusalem Post
https://www.jpost.com/health-science/covid-some-jabbed-people-have-7-time-less-antibodies-than-others-study-675206

Anders D. Nygaard

Aug 1, 2021, 6:42:01 AM8/1/21
Den 01-08-2021 kl. 02:57 skrev Quinn C:
> * Horace LaBadie:
>
>> In article <fiq8gg9mbdkcc5i6n...@4ax.com>,
>> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It wasn't "they". It was Ryan Murphy, who placed second behind the
>>> Russian in the 200-meter backstroke. He didn't say "They cheated",
>>> but did say "I’ve got about 15 thoughts. Thirteen of them would get me
>>> into a lot of trouble. It is a huge mental drain on me to go
>>> throughout the year that I’m swimming in a race that’s probably not
>>> clean.”
>>
>> And, of course, the Russian national team had been disqualified because
>> of doping in past Olympics. It's not as though that was in any doubt
>> about that. Some individual Russian athletes were permitted to compete,
>> just not as a team representing Russia.
>
> If you count 328 of them as "some individual athletes". To me, the "ban"
> feels mostly symbolic.

Several sets of "individual athletes" compete as teams in team sports.
Yes, it is mostly symbolic.

/Anders, Denmark

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 9:00:05 AM8/1/21
Oh, you8 want to pretend that Horace was using some sort of technical
definition of "penalized"? What points are deducted from their score
because some of their erstwhile teammates were found to have been
illegally doping?

In gymnastics, penalties are shown in the score. They are given for
things like stepping outside the boundary lines upon landing a vault.

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 9:02:20 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 7:57:58 PM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 01/08/21 00:05, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> > Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to spell
> > his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.

> Australian reporters all seem to pronounce Ledecky's name as Ledekky,
> despite having encountered any number of other Slavic name endings.

That's correct. Presumably all the American announcers who have
interviewed her and describe her achievements have verified the
pronunciation with her or her representatives. (Stress on the second
syllable.)

(The comparison was that she's done better than Ryan over the years.)

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 9:04:17 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 9:29:02 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter T. Daniels:

> > Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
> > spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.
>
> You expect him to correct the spellings his parents chose?

He's over 18. Has he gotten over the trauma of every elementary-
school teacher telling him he was spelling it wrong?

Dyslexia is heritable.

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 9:06:54 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:46:48 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:28:53 -0400, Quinn C
> <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
> >* Peter T. Daniels:

> >> Ryan Murphy is no Katie Ledecky. But at least he knows how to
> >> spell his name, unlike Floridian Caeleb Dressel.
> >You expect him to correct the spellings his parents chose?
>
> Watch out for falling jaws, but I'm going to stooge for PTD.

Not in this message, you aren't.

> It's *possible* that Caeleb's name is not how his parents spelled it.
> I've known several people who have invented the spelling of their
> first name just to be different.

He does do things with a drum kit when he's not in the water ...

> There's no indication that this is the case here, but there's no proof
> that "Caeleb" is on his birth certificate.
>
> PTD's only error is declaring the possible a fact.

Your suggestion is as unlikely as all your others.

Especially since you revealed his, presumably younger,
sister's spelling.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 11:24:32 AM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 06:00:02 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Duh? Horace didn't use the term; he said "disqualified". I used it.

>In gymnastics, penalties are shown in the score. They are given for
>things like stepping outside the boundary lines upon landing a vault.

Let me get this straight: You don't think that being disqualified
from competing is a "penalty"? Really?

Methinks your mindlessness is too much with you.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 11:29:21 AM8/1/21
"Sportsmanship" began to die in the 1960s. Although I can't help
reading the headlines about the Olympics, I haven't watched one second
of the games.

Quinn C

Aug 1, 2021, 12:08:51 PM8/1/21
* Peter T. Daniels:
So many disrespectful elementary teachers would cause some trauma, for
sure. I expect the generation of teachers who thought that was ok to be
mostly retired.

--
... it might be nice to see ourselves reflected in TV shows and
Pride season campaigns, but the cis white men who invented the
-- Delilah Friedler at slate.com

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 12:52:46 PM8/1/21
THE ROC TEAM WAS NOT DISQUALIFIED. ONLY THE DOPERS WERE.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp the difference?

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 1:08:19 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 09:52:43 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Twist and shout, Daniels.

You are really screwed up, and you don't realize it.

Snidely

Aug 1, 2021, 1:28:59 PM8/1/21
Mack A. Damia suggested that ...
Was the ROC team penalized? No, the Russian team was.

You should practice clear thinking.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 3:25:34 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 10:28:51 -0700, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
You should practice reading comprehension. You have been infected
with Daniels-double-speak.

Nowhere have I said that the ROC team was penalized. Nowhere. You
may be delusional as well.

Horace: Russian team has been disqualified.

Me: Russian athletes been penalized.

PTD: How are they being penalized?

Tony: Of course they are being penalized

Yup! "Delusional".

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 3:50:00 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 09:52:43 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
The dopers on the Russian team caused the entire Russian team to be
disqualified (penalized).

The remaining athletes who wanted to compete did so under the banner
of R.O.C.

Did the penny drop yet?

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 4:06:37 PM8/1/21
They were ipso facto neither disqualified nor penalized.

Incidentally, the gymnastics announcers have been scrupulous about
saying "Russian Olympic Committee team" (not even saying "R.O.C.,"
presumably because Over Here that means Republic of China, which
for decades at the Olympics has been called "Chinese Taipei."

The swimming announcers, led by Rowdy Gaines, whose heday was
L.A. '84, just say "Russia" and "Russians."

But since you've claimed not to have watched one minute of it, it's
clear that you know absolutely nothing about it and lack the standing
to pontificate on the matter.

> Did the penny drop yet?
>
> >Why is it so hard for you to grasp the difference?

I won't retype the above question.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 1, 2021, 4:25:17 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 13:06:34 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Are you on drugs, Daniels?

>Incidentally, the gymnastics announcers have been scrupulous about
>saying "Russian Olympic Committee team" (not even saying "R.O.C.,"
>presumably because Over Here that means Republic of China, which
>for decades at the Olympics has been called "Chinese Taipei."

Have you looked at the news - or the games? What do they say?

https://images.wsj.net/im-375629?width=860&height=573

https://i2-prod.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article21193674.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200c/0_GettyImages-1331600837.jpg

What THREE letters do YOU see, Daniels?

>The swimming announcers, led by Rowdy Gaines, whose heday was
>L.A. '84, just say "Russia" and "Russians."
>
>But since you've claimed not to have watched one minute of it, it's
>clear that you know absolutely nothing about it and lack the standing
>to pontificate on the matter.

Actually watching the games themselves won't give you the details of
this issue. This comes through on the world news - 24/7.

>> Did the penny drop yet?
>>
>> >Why is it so hard for you to grasp the difference?
>
>I won't retype the above question.

I think you have to know you are wrong and confused, but you are too
much of a coward to admit it.

Tony Cooper

Aug 1, 2021, 4:32:54 PM8/1/21
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> The remaining athletes who wanted to compete did so under the banner
>> of R.O.C.
>
>They were ipso facto neither disqualified nor penalized.

I think you are being too literal in your understanding of
"penalized". The fact that they cannot compete under the Russian
flag, they will not hear the Russian anthem if they podium, and that
their achievements will not be listed as the Russian team's
achievements penalizes them.

The intent was to penalize the Russian sporting federation, but the
R.O.C. team members are serving out the penalty.

Snidely

Aug 1, 2021, 4:54:04 PM8/1/21
On Sunday, Tony Cooper queried:
I agree with PTD that the Russian team was penalized, not the ROC.

Playing of the anthem is minor compared to not being at the Games at
all.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 1, 2021, 5:14:58 PM8/1/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 4:32:54 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 13:06:34 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
> <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> The remaining athletes who wanted to compete did so under the banner
> >> of R.O.C.
> >They were ipso facto neither disqualified nor penalized.
>
> I think you are being too literal in your understanding of
> "penalized". The fact that they cannot compete under the Russian
> flag, they will not hear the Russian anthem if they podium, and that
> their achievements will not be listed as the Russian team's
> achievements penalizes them.

You make them sound like the flag-idolaters some of the Brits
and Dutchies here like to complain Americans are.

> The intent was to penalize the Russian sporting federation, but the
> R.O.C. team members are serving out the penalty.

Unlike, say, the Refugees team, their country is fully identified
in the name.

Tony Cooper

Aug 1, 2021, 6:45:40 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 14:14:55 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 4:32:54 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:

>> >They were ipso facto neither disqualified nor penalized.
>>
>> I think you are being too literal in your understanding of
>> "penalized". The fact that they cannot compete under the Russian
>> flag, they will not hear the Russian anthem if they podium, and that
>> their achievements will not be listed as the Russian team's
>> achievements penalizes them.
>
>You make them sound like the flag-idolaters some of the Brits
>and Dutchies here like to complain Americans are.

I would not equate pride in representing one's country as being
"flag-idolators".

The added penalty on the R.O.C. athletes is that their name in a list
of medal-winners or record-holders will be asterisked in any account
of Russian athletics. It will be like a wind-aided record.

>> The intent was to penalize the Russian sporting federation, but the
>> R.O.C. team members are serving out the penalty.
>
>Unlike, say, the Refugees team, their country is fully identified
>in the name.

Quinn C

Aug 1, 2021, 9:11:58 PM8/1/21
* Snidely:

> On Sunday, Tony Cooper queried:

>>> They were ipso facto neither disqualified nor penalized.
>>
>> I think you are being too literal in your understanding of
>> "penalized". The fact that they cannot compete under the Russian
>> flag, they will not hear the Russian anthem if they podium, and that
>> their achievements will not be listed as the Russian team's
>> achievements penalizes them.
>>
>> The intent was to penalize the Russian sporting federation, but the
>> R.O.C. team members are serving out the penalty.
>
> I agree with PTD that the Russian team was penalized, not the ROC.

I disagree. The Russian team is (organized by) the ROC. I say the
Russian state was penalized.

--
Some of the most horrific things ever done to humans
were done by the politest, best-dressed, most well-spoken

Peter Moylan

Aug 1, 2021, 11:08:32 PM8/1/21
We're about one generation past the fashion for looking for unusual
spellings of baby names. Remember those web sites where people would
write in saying "I want to call my baby girl McKenzie but I don't want
it to be like anyone else's name. How does Muckwibbleenzie sound? Should
I add a 'q' somewhere?"?

Those babies are now adults. They've learnt to live with the names
because half of their contemporaries also have funny-looking names.

Dingbat

Aug 5, 2021, 11:55:26 AM8/5/21
Forvo says the czech pronunciation is Ledetzky. That confuses me.
I knew a Czech named Klecka who pronounced his name as Kletchka, not Kletzka.
And he said his distant relative Cissy Spacek's name had an original pronunciation
of Spa-check.

Quinn C

Aug 5, 2021, 12:12:09 PM8/5/21
* Dingbat:
The tch sound is written č in Czech, so that name was probably Klečka in
the original, whereas Ledecky doesn't contain a č.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledecky>

Czech people of that name seem to write it Ledecký (the accent marks a
long vowel). Women would in the mother country be Ledecká. I remember
how when I last visited Prague, the cinema advertised a new feature with
Kim Basingerova.

> And he said his distant relative Cissy Spacek's name had an original
> pronunciation of Spa-check.

That seems to be, at least usually, Špaček, i.e. Shpatchek in Czech
pronunciation.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_%C5%A0pa%C4%8Dek>

--
Trans people are scapegoated for the impossibilities of this two-box
system, but the system harms all of us. Most people have felt ashamed

Garrett Wollman

Aug 5, 2021, 12:31:11 PM8/5/21
In article <s40cgghtks6g43eea...@4ax.com>,
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's *possible* that Caeleb's name is not how his parents spelled it.
>I've known several people who have invented the spelling of their
>first name just to be different.
>
>There's no indication that this is the case here, but there's no proof
>that "Caeleb" is on his birth certificate.

There is, however, substantial evidence that that is the spelling on
his passport.

Of course, in olden times, doctors and recording clerks would
"correct" "misspelled" names on birth records. (And in even more
olden times, the name of the child was not even decided until they
survived a long enough for a formal naming ceremony or baptism.)

-GAWollman
wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Quinn C

Aug 5, 2021, 1:00:24 PM8/5/21
* Garrett Wollman:

> In article <s40cgghtks6g43eea...@4ax.com>,
> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It's *possible* that Caeleb's name is not how his parents spelled it.
>>I've known several people who have invented the spelling of their
>>first name just to be different.
>>
>>There's no indication that this is the case here, but there's no proof
>>that "Caeleb" is on his birth certificate.
>
> There is, however, substantial evidence that that is the spelling on
> his passport.
>
> Of course, in olden times, doctors and recording clerks would
> "correct" "misspelled" names on birth records.

Thanks for all the scare quotes. I've seen several instances where a
family name changed in the official record because the record keeper
couldn't read the handwriting of their predecessor.

--
Americans are not that comfortable with being uncomfortable.
-- Veronica Osorio

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 6, 2021, 2:33:25 AM8/6/21
On 2021-08-05 16:31:08 +0000, Garrett Wollman said:

> In article <s40cgghtks6g43eea...@4ax.com>,
> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's *possible* that Caeleb's name is not how his parents spelled it.
>> I've known several people who have invented the spelling of their
>> first name just to be different.
>>
>> There's no indication that this is the case here, but there's no proof
>> that "Caeleb" is on his birth certificate.
>
> There is, however, substantial evidence that that is the spelling on
> his passport.
>
> Of course, in olden times, doctors and recording clerks would
> "correct" "misspelled" names on birth records. (And in even more
> olden times, the name of the child was not even decided until they
> survived a long enough for a formal naming ceremony or baptism.)

Brought up as I was in the bosom of the Church of England I remember
being surprised at the idea that babies already had names before they
were baptised.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Dingbat

Aug 6, 2021, 5:00:00 AM8/6/21
He was American, of Czech descent. He might not have preserved all
the nuances of its pronunciation. Or I might not have noticed how he
pronounced the Š since the distinctive feature, to my ear, was the č.

Tak To

Aug 8, 2021, 1:27:40 PM8/8/21
Going off a bit...

There was a US TV Series called /Banacek/ in the 70s. The
eponymous detective was Polish. His name was pronounced
with a [tS]. It was made very clear, especially in the
occasions when Banacek corrected the (sometimes deliberate)
mispronunciations.

I read an article (probably in /Esquire/) complaining that if
the detective was Polish, why wasn't the name spelled
"Banaczek"; and if the name was "Banacek", why wasn't he a
Czech.

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

Dingbat

Aug 9, 2021, 5:53:14 AM8/9/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 10:57:40 PM UTC+5:30, Tak To wrote:
> I read an article (probably in /Esquire/) complaining that if
> the detective was Polish, why wasn't the name spelled
> "Banaczek"; and if the name was "Banacek", why wasn't he a
> Czech.

AFAIK, it would have to be Banaćek to have a [t͡ɕ] pronunciation.
[tS] is spelled <cz>; the anglophone might not distinguish it from ć.
FWIW, Polish c, ć and cz are similar to z, q and ch in Mandarin.

Tak To

Aug 10, 2021, 5:52:59 PM8/10/21
On 8/9/2021 5:53 AM, Dingbat wrote:
> On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 10:57:40 PM UTC+5:30, Tak To wrote:
>> I read an article (probably in /Esquire/) complaining that if
>> the detective was Polish, why wasn't the name spelled
>> "Banaczek"; and if the name was "Banacek", why wasn't he a
>> Czech.
>>
> AFAIK, it would have to be Banaćek to have a [t͡ɕ] pronunciation.> [tS] is spelled <cz>; the anglophone might not distinguish it from ć.

In the US, Anglophones are generally told to pronounce a <cz>
that appears in a Polish name as [tS]. I don't know how common
the <c> and <ć> are in Polish, but <ć> will probably get written
as <c> in the US in any case. I haven't come across a guide for
pronouncing <c> in Polish names. I suspect that most Anglophone
would follow the English convention and use [s]/[k].

> FWIW, Polish c, ć and cz are similar to z, q and ch in Mandarin.

c/z, q/j, ch/zh

I don't know if these voiceless Polish consonants are aspirated,
but all Mandarin affricates are voiceless and distinguishable
only by aspiration. (The first of each pair is aspirated.)

----- -----

As usual, the c-curl (same as c-cedilla) and z-curl convention
causes a lot of confusion as they are used to transcribe both
the 'alveolo-palatal' (Mandarin[1]) and 'palatal' (German[2],
Malayam[3]) sounds. The Polish sound is described as
'(alveolo)-palatal'[4], but the sample sounds 'postalveolar'
(i.e., [tS]) or 'palatal' to me. Could it be an allophone
situation as in Malayam?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Chinese_phonology
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German_phonology
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_phonology

Dingbat

Aug 11, 2021, 12:42:44 PM8/11/21
On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:22:59 AM UTC+5:30, Tak To wrote:
> On 8/9/2021 5:53 AM, Dingbat wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 10:57:40 PM UTC+5:30, Tak To wrote:
> >> I read an article (probably in /Esquire/) complaining that if
> >> the detective was Polish, why wasn't the name spelled
> >> "Banaczek"; and if the name was "Banacek", why wasn't he a
> >> Czech.
> >>
> > AFAIK, it would have to be Banaćek to have a [t͡ɕ] pronunciation.
> > [tS] is spelled <cz>; the anglophone might not distinguish it from ć.

> In the US, Anglophones are generally told to pronounce a <cz>
> that appears in a Polish name as [tS]. I don't know how common
> the <c> and <ć> are in Polish, but <ć> will probably get written
> as <c> in the US in any case. I haven't come across a guide for
> pronouncing <c> in Polish names. I suspect that most Anglophone
> would follow the English convention and use [s]/[k].

> > FWIW, Polish c, ć and cz are similar to z, q and ch in Mandarin.
> c/z, q/j, ch/zh

> I don't know if these voiceless Polish consonants are aspirated,
> but all Mandarin affricates are voiceless and distinguishable
> only by aspiration. (The first of each pair is aspirated.)

An Anglophone trying to imitate Polish pronunciation would aspirate
ć and cz but not c. That would probably be acceptable to Polish
listeners if the articulations are otherwise right.

Chinese z always sounds unvoiced. The other two vary. My Wu language
speaker always voices j when speaking Mandarin. I have heard unvoiced zh
in one speaker's pronunciation of Zhao but I have also heard it voiced like in
judge from Wu speakers. I have even heard it voiced by a resident of
Shenzhen which is a Mandarin speaking city. In this clip by a Shenzen
resident, j and zh sound voiced to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZBvMAPqsg

> ----- -----
>
> As usual, the c-curl (same as c-cedilla) and z-curl convention
> causes a lot of confusion as they are used to transcribe both
> the 'alveolo-palatal' (Mandarin[1]) and 'palatal' (German[2],
> Malayam[3]) sounds. The Polish sound is described as
> '(alveolo)-palatal'[4], but the sample sounds 'postalveolar'
> (i.e., [tS]) or 'palatal' to me. Could it be an allophone
> situation as in Malayam?

It sounds palatal to me despite being described as alveolo-palatal.
The Chinese X, however, does sound alveolo-palatal. This makes
their Xi sound odd since I'm used to a palatal adjacent to [i:] and [e:]
in Malayalam where affricates can be alveolo-palatal only adjacent
to back vowels and post alveolar only adjacent to a cerebral stop,
often across a morpheme/ word boundary, or in loan words like
puncture. I find French lignes similarly odd for having an
alveolo-palatal rather than palatal nasal adjacent to [i:].

Tak To

Aug 12, 2021, 3:15:32 PM8/12/21
Just curious, which Wu dialect?

Quite possible, as Wu languages typically have a three way
tenuis-apirated-voiced distinction for some of the consonants.

I have heard unvoiced zh
> in one speaker's pronunciation of Zhao but I have also heard it voiced like in
> judge from Wu speakers.

Wu does not have the retroflex consonants, but it is
understandable that a native Wu speaker might voice some of
them.

> I have even heard it voiced by a resident of
> Shenzhen which is a Mandarin speaking city.

Shenzhen is "Mandarin speaking" in the same sense that Shanghai
is "Mandarin speaking" -- the population has a significant
portion of recent immigrants who are native Mandarin speakers,
while almost all the locals (Yue native speakers) can speak
Mandarin as a second language with varying degree of competence.
And Mandarin is the default language except in private situations
between two locals.

> In this clip by a Shenzen
> resident, j and zh sound voiced to me:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ZBvMAPqsg

The j in Beijing sounds unvoiced, the zh in Shenzhen is a bit
hard to tell.

>> ----- -----
>>
>> As usual, the c-curl (same as c-cedilla) and z-curl convention
>> causes a lot of confusion as they are used to transcribe both
>> the 'alveolo-palatal' (Mandarin[1]) and 'palatal' (German[2],
>> Malayam[3]) sounds. The Polish sound is described as
>> '(alveolo)-palatal'[4], but the sample sounds 'postalveolar'
>> (i.e., [tS]) or 'palatal' to me. Could it be an allophone
>> situation as in Malayam?
>
> It sounds palatal to me despite being described as alveolo-palatal.
> The Chinese X, however, does sound alveolo-palatal.

How would you advise an Anglophone to pronounce it? I maintain
that "s" is closer than "sh".

> This makes
> their Xi sound odd since I'm used to a palatal adjacent to [i:] and [e:]
> in Malayalam where affricates can be alveolo-palatal only adjacent
> to back vowels and post alveolar only adjacent to a cerebral stop,
> often across a morpheme/ word boundary, or in loan words like
> puncture.

The wikip article on Malayam does not distinguish between
palatal and alveolo-palatal. Is this what you are saying?

front vowel, morpheme initial : postalveolar
back vowel, morpheme initial : postalveolar
front vowel, elsewhere : palatal
back vowel, elsewhere: alveolo-palatal

FWIW the Mandarin alveolo-palatals (x, j, q) appears only
before [i] an [y] (final or medial) and the denti-aveolars
(s, c, z) and the retroflexes (sh, ch, zh) never before
them. The i in <si> etc is not an [i] but a shwa -- the
syllable is a vocalized consonant.

> I find French lignes similarly odd for having an
> alveolo-palatal rather than palatal nasal adjacent to [i:].

It sounds like the regular palatal [j] in the Forvo samples
-- but then I don't have anything to contrast it with.
https://forvo.com/word/ligne/#fr

I suspect we have to bring in the apical-laminal dimension
to clarify all these cases.