"male assaults female" (n.)

Jack Campin

Sep 3, 2016, 4:40:28 PM9/3/16
I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
but this sounds weird:

"Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
an altercation between the couple"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83826718/tamara-schmidts-partner-breaks-her-silence-there-is-nothing-sinister-about-it

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Horace LaBadie

Sep 3, 2016, 5:01:27 PM9/3/16
In article <bogus-207B72....@four.schnuerpel.eu>,
Jack Campin <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
> but this sounds weird:
>
> "Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
> an altercation between the couple"
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83826718/tamara-schmidts-partner-breaks-her-si
> lence-there-is-nothing-sinister-about-it

Not too much different from a Defrauding the Elderly, or Battery on a
Senior Citizen, or something.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2016, 6:55:50 PM9/3/16
It's grammatically weird. I can't think of any other names of crimes
that are (almost) complete sentences.

Hm. Sentence first, verdict afterwards.

--
Jerry Friedman
"No Trump" bridge-themed political shirts: cafepress.com/jerrysdesigns

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Sep 3, 2016, 6:57:16 PM9/3/16
On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 21:40:21 +0100, Jack Campin <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
"Male Assaults Female" is the official name of the offence. The fact
that the three words don't have initial capitals in the report appears
to be an error.

https://nzfvc.org.nz/nz-police-definitions

Male Assaults Female: The act of intentionally applying or
attempting to apply force to the person of another, directly or
indirectly, or threatening by any act or gesture to apply such force
to the person of another,14 by a male on a female. Not all Male
Assaults Female offences are family violence. Male Assaults Female
is a crime under the Crimes Act 1961 and is most often used with
family violence-related assaults. However, until 2005, many were not
coded as family violence. With an increasing focus on family
violence, more Male Assaults Female offences are now recorded as
family violence. The latest figures show that 93% of all Male
Assaults Female offences are now coded as family violence. As with
Assault on a Child offences, if another type of offence is
considered more appropriate then this offence will be recorded
instead of Male Assaults Female.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Peter Moylan

Sep 3, 2016, 7:46:40 PM9/3/16
On 2016-Sep-04 06:40, Jack Campin wrote:
> I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
> but this sounds weird:
>
> "Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
> an altercation between the couple"
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83826718/tamara-schmidts-partner-breaks-her-silence-there-is-nothing-sinister-about-it

I've never heard that precise phrase, but I've been noticing that our
newspaper crime reports try to stick to the exact name of the offence,
without regard to whether it makes grammatical sense.

"Smith was charged with drunk and disorderly and drive while
intoxicated. An additional charge of resist arrest was withdrawn by the
police prosecutor."

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Tony Cooper

Sep 3, 2016, 7:53:05 PM9/3/16
<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
>but this sounds weird:
>
>"Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
>an altercation between the couple"

In the US, the charge would be "domestic violence" if the two were a
couple. That covers male on female, female on male, male on male, and
female on female assaults involving a couple.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

RH Draney

Sep 3, 2016, 10:15:31 PM9/3/16
On 9/3/2016 4:53 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

> In the US, the charge would be "domestic violence" if the two were a
> couple. That covers male on female, female on male, male on male, and
> female on female assaults involving a couple.

As distinguished from "imported violence", I suppose....r

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 3, 2016, 11:48:36 PM9/3/16
On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 6:57:16 PM UTC-4, PeterWD wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 21:40:21 +0100, Jack Campin <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
> >but this sounds weird:
> >"Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
> >an altercation between the couple"
> >http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83826718/tamara-schmidts-partner-breaks-her-silence-there-is-nothing-sinister-about-it
>
> "Male Assaults Female" is the official name of the offence. The fact
> that the three words don't have initial capitals in the report appears
> to be an error.
>
> https://nzfvc.org.nz/nz-police-definitions
>
> Male Assaults Female: The act of intentionally applying or
> attempting to apply force to the person of another, directly or
> indirectly, or threatening by any act or gesture to apply such force
> to the person of another,14 by a male on a female. Not all Male
> Assaults Female offences are family violence. Male Assaults Female
> is a crime under the Crimes Act 1961 and is most often used with
> family violence-related assaults. However, until 2005, many were not
> coded as family violence. With an increasing focus on family
> violence, more Male Assaults Female offences are now recorded as
> family violence. The latest figures show that 93% of all Male
> Assaults Female offences are now coded as family violence. As with
> Assault on a Child offences, if another type of offence is
> considered more appropriate then this offence will be recorded
> instead of Male Assaults Female.

Do they also recognize that (spousal) abuse can also be Female Assaults
Male? If you haven't gotten around to same-sex marriage yet, then you'd
still have to recognize all possible combinations of domestic violence
too, no?

Peter T. Daniels

Sep 3, 2016, 11:50:29 PM9/3/16
We normally just have D&D and DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or DWI.

Dingbat

Sep 4, 2016, 5:17:08 AM9/4/16
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 2:10:28 AM UTC+5:30, Jack Campin wrote:
> I don't know much about current New Zealand criminal law
> but this sounds weird:
>
> "Konarski has been charged with male assaults female from
> an altercation between the couple"
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83826718/tamara-schmidts-partner-breaks-her-silence-there-is-nothing-sinister-about-it

Since the crime is a sentence, a sentence would be a crime:-)

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Sep 4, 2016, 7:22:09 AM9/4/16
This is New Zealand law, with which I'm not famailiar.

I've had a very quick scan through the Crimes Act 1961 and it seems
similar in principle to laws in other jurisdictions: there are general
provisions against assault and some types are singled out and attract
higher penalties, such as man on woman and adult on child.

That law says:

assault means the act of intentionally applying or attempting
to apply force to the person of another, directly or indirectly, or
threatening by any act or gesture to apply such force to the person
of another, if the person making the threat has, or causes
the other to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present
ability to effect his purpose; and to assault has a corresponding
meaning

There are separate clauses about causing injury or death. There is no
distinction between men and women in those.

Female genital mutilation is a crime whereas there is no specific
provision against male genital mutilation.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Sep 4, 2016, 7:36:47 AM9/4/16
Future President Donald Trump promises to build a Wall to prevent
violence being imported.

While watching recent news reports about the weather in the US it
occurred to me that the Trump Wall could usefully be extended East along
the Gulf Coast and North up the Atlantic coast of the US to provide a
defence against storm surges. (There are of course practical "issues".)

CDB

Sep 4, 2016, 7:52:23 AM9/4/16
Yabbut, is "assaults" a noun or a verb? Is the phrase a multiple of
"male assault (female)", which is considered more serious than "male
assault (male)" or "female assault (male)", or is it straight reporting
in the narrative present?

Peter Moylan

Sep 4, 2016, 8:57:58 AM9/4/16
Sounds more useful than the original plan, though.

The last I heard about the Trump wall was an expert assessment of the
likely cost. I've forgotten the numbers, but it would be a major budget
item. It occurs to me that it would also have high labour requirements.
He's going to have to import a lot of Mexicans to get a big enough
workforce.

Richard Tobin

Sep 4, 2016, 9:00:03 AM9/4/16
In article <er0osbheprisf6ab9...@4ax.com>,
Peter Duncanson [BrE] <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>While watching recent news reports about the weather in the US it
>occurred to me that the Trump Wall could usefully be extended East along
>the Gulf Coast and North up the Atlantic coast of the US to provide a
>defence against storm surges. (There are of course practical "issues".)

I suppose the Atlantic would pay for it?

-- Richard

Richard Heathfield

Sep 4, 2016, 11:01:11 AM9/4/16
Out of its float, presumably. Or perhaps the cost could be waved?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Jerry Friedman

Sep 4, 2016, 3:47:06 PM9/4/16
On 9/4/16 5:19 AM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

> I've had a very quick scan through the Crimes Act 1961 and it seems
> similar in principle to laws in other jurisdictions: there are general
> provisions against assault and some types are singled out and attract
> higher penalties, such as man on woman and adult on child.
>
> That law says:
>
> assault means the act of intentionally applying or attempting
> to apply force to the person of another, directly or indirectly, or
> threatening by any act or gesture to apply such force to the person
> of another, if the person making the threat has, or causes
> the other to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present
> ability to effect his purpose; and to assault has a corresponding
> meaning
>
> There are separate clauses about causing injury or death. There is no
> distinction between men and women in those.
>
> Female genital mutilation is a crime whereas there is no specific
> provision against male genital mutilation.

And all the Jews and Muslims would get very upset if there were.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 4, 2016, 3:47:35 PM9/4/16
On 9/4/16 9:01 AM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 04/09/16 13:57, Richard Tobin wrote:
>> In article <er0osbheprisf6ab9...@4ax.com>,
>> Peter Duncanson [BrE] <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:
>>
>>> While watching recent news reports about the weather in the US it
>>> occurred to me that the Trump Wall could usefully be extended East along
>>> the Gulf Coast and North up the Atlantic coast of the US to provide a
>>> defence against storm surges. (There are of course practical "issues".)
>>
>> I suppose the Atlantic would pay for it?
>
> Out of its float, presumably. Or perhaps the cost could be waved?

It has plenty of currency.

Charles Bishop

Sep 4, 2016, 6:29:45 PM9/4/16
In article <nqhtok$h06$3...@news.albasani.net>,
Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 9/4/16 9:01 AM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> > On 04/09/16 13:57, Richard Tobin wrote:

> >> I suppose the Atlantic would pay for it?
> >
> > Out of its float, presumably. Or perhaps the cost could be waved?
>
> It has plenty of currency.

Or from the banks along the rivers that flow into it?

--
charles